• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Havok Unearths Wired Halo 3 Goldmine (New SP and MP pics inside)

Havok

urk said:
Credit goes to Havok, aka the best fucking poster on GAF today.

I feel loved.

Sai said:
The screenshot with the Hunters looks incredible. Are we going to frequently see dropships, cruisers and the like flying off in the background throughout that level?

In the Weekly Updates, Frankie has often talked about seeing distant air to air battles with huge numbers of combatants, sometimes miles off, so I would say you'll be seeing them pretty frequently.

Cocopjojo said:
I wonder if you can jack a Banshee and fly around. How will they handle that? I hope it's not like in Halo CE where there's no pilots, so the Banshees aren't flyable. It'd be awesome to trick a Banshee into flying low and jack it to explore the level.
Probably the same way they handled it in Halo 2 ie we choose when you can hijack Banshees.

Proelite

Havok said:
I feel loved.

In the Weekly Updates, Frankie has often talked about seeing distant air to air battles with huge numbers of combatants, sometimes miles off, so I would say you'll be seeing them pretty frequently.

Flocking AI was said in a BWU to be in groups of fifties. That should be some indication to the size of the flocking battles.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Looking at the background of the pic with the Hunters and seeing the two Phantoms, the mishmash of Banshees, and the pack of Brutes makes for an awesome feeling.
Been busy putting the kids to bed, but that was the exact comment I was going to make. I think we're starting to see some of the bigger scale Frank has been writing about for a while - lots more troops in combat in larger battlefields, with activity on the horizon.

I'm also digging the lighting in that pic, and the darkness of the shadows inside the door. Every shot so far has glorious lighting, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Oh, and Sandtrap looks great. It's got a great, sand-swept look. I'm hoping the sandy haze actualy moves and swirls around, not just a static fog. I lust for that map.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
H3_MP_Epitaph_FP4.jpg

Map is Epitaph.

Gravity Hammer has an ammo count.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I'm hoping the sandy haze actualy moves and swirls around, not just a static fog. I lust for that map.

I think I remember reading something from the behind-closed-doors E3 presentation, where the journalist, when writing about the Saved Film that they showed of Sandtrap, that even the sand particles floating in the wind were shown and played back just like as in the game that was recorded.

I might be making stuff up though, my brain is dying from 7 hours of homework (on day 2 of school nonetheless).

Blueblur1 said:
IGN has a Halo 3 FAQ up. What's really interesting is the table with dates listed at the bottom. Apparently, 1up won't be the only one with new Halo 3 coverage.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/813/813939p1.html

The novels expand our understanding of the Halo universe, but don't necessarily give any answers to the major questions we have heading into Halo 3. However, "The Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor" a story within the Halo Graphic Novel, gives us more details on how the Flood function. Bungie has said that we will likely see a Flood more resembling those in "Succor" in Halo 3.
-IGN

Interesting. Have to go back read that story again.

CushVA

Havok said:
I think I remember reading something from the behind-closed-doors E3 presentation, where the journalist, when writing about the Saved Film that they showed of Sandtrap, that even the sand particles floating in the wind were shown and played back just like as in the game that was recorded.

I might be making stuff up though, my brain is dying from 7 hours of homework (on day 2 of school nonetheless).

sounds familiar. I think John from 1UP mentioned this in one of the E3 1Up Shows

Surfheart

Everytime I see a new thread title proclaiming that awesome Halo3 screens reside within I get little butterflies in my stomach as I eagerly click.
Every single time I have been dissapointed by staged bullshots with impossible levels of AA and underwhelming visuals and design.

I'm fairly confident that the game itself is going to be good but on a graphical level, in my humble opinion, it's a big meh.
I don't know whether my conclusions are being biased because I set my expectations too high, but compared to other stuff on the system I expected more from Microsoft's premier IP.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
DoctorWho said:
Why does the hammer have an ammo count? I wonder if it is still usable as a blunt instrument after the ammo has been depleted?

I would imagine it's limited because it owns. I mean, look at all those corpses.

How can people say that this in anyway looks bad? It looks amazing and theres heaps going on in every screen. The Gears of War style image lloks awesome. Bungie please make a filter as a unlockable.

Blueblur1

Yeah, the last thing Halo 3 needs is another overpowered melee weapon like H2's Energy Sword. I'm not surprised by the ammo counter and I'm really glad its there.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Surfheart said:
Every single time I have been dissapointed by staged bullshots
Elaborate. What do you mean by "staged bullshot"?

Sho Nuff

Banned
willis.jpg

HALO 3 IS A VIDEO GAME
IT IS FOR THE XBOX 360 VIDEO GAME SYSTEM FROM MICROSOFT
IT IS A VERY BEAUTIFUL GAME
I LIKE THIS GAME VERY MUCH!

HAAAAAAAAAALO THREEEEEEEEE!

YOU WILL PLAY AS MASTER CHIEF
MAYBE YOU WILL ROCK IT AS ARBITER TOO
USE AN ENERGY SWORD TO STOP THE COVENANT
THE COVENANT CAN LICK A SNOW LEOPARD'S ASS

I GO ONLINE TO PLUG FOOLS WITH HOLES
SNUFF THE LIFE FROM MY COMPETITION
TRY TO SNUFF THE LIFE FROM ME
I WILL DUMPSTER YOUR BODY, MOTHAFUCKA!

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
IGN has a Halo 3 FAQ up. What's really interesting is the table with dates listed at the bottom. Apparently, 1up won't be the only one with new Halo 3 coverage.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/813/813939p1.html
Bookmarked. This week is going to be NUTS, with this event tomorrow, PAX, Podcast, Update, the Wired pics, CG covention and 1up's coverage all starting. My god are we really still five weeks out? :lol

There are some jaggies in those pics, but I chalked at least some of that up to compression - these aren't in their native 720p. Even some of the 720p pics on bungie.net have some jaggies to them - it's not perfect. But it's everything else about them that makes it so impressive. I still can't get over the lighting.

Numbers

Surfheart said:
Everytime I see a new thread title proclaiming that awesome Halo3 screens reside within I get little butterflies in my stomach as I eagerly click.
Every single time I have been dissapointed by staged bullshots with impossible levels of AA and underwhelming visuals and design.

I'm fairly confident that the game itself is going to be good but on a graphical level, in my humble opinion, it's a big meh.
I don't know whether my conclusions are being biased because I set my expectations too high, but compared to other stuff on the system I expected more from Microsoft's premier IP.

Surfheat says Halo 3 will come to Wii? More at 10.

omg wii haz bad grafkz lolzzz!!!!!111111

Surfheart

Cocopjojo said:
Elaborate. What do you mean by "staged bullshot"?

This shot for example:
H3_MP_Guardian_3P15.jpg

It just looks like everything in the shot has been perfectly posed.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, I think it looks good, just not as good as I expected.

Are cameras and camcorders allowed at the presentation tomorrow?

I have a beautiful HD camcorder so its a shame I won't be around to go... cause I could have captured something pretty nice for everyone here on GAF.

Havok

Surfheart said:
This shot for example:
http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1509/H3_MP_Guardian_3P15.jpg

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, I think it looks good, just not as good as I expected.

I'm fairly sure that in one of the Podcasts, they explained how they set these shots up. It boils down to the leads telling everyone in the game to "Go over there and fight.", and how Luke subsequently screws it up. I mean, everyone has to be in the same area or else you'd see stuff like a random guy in the middle of the screen getting Long Rifled to the face, and it wouldn't make for a very good screenshot. In a sense, yes, this is semi-posed, but only to the point that everyone is in the same area.

GhaleonEB

Surfheart said:
This shot for example:
http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1509/H3_MP_Guardian_3P15.jpg

Frank has said several times that when taking screens, they coordinate a bit. "Everyone go over here and shoot", "all hands to the main platform, and do cool stuff". Then they review the saved films and take pictures. So they coordinate in the sense that there's some thought put into staging the action a bit, but that's it. It's gameplay from saved films.

Edit: red headed stepchild, etc. :lol

Blueblur1

Karma Kramer said:

I have a beautiful HD camcorder so its a shame I won't be around to go... cause I could have captured something pretty nice for everyone here on GAF.
Warning: Photography, video cameras and cell phone camera use are strictly prohibited.

Straight from the Bungie.net article.

tanod

when is my burrito
I always found a berserker Brute was more difficult to take down than a Hunter
but if you do it right, Brute's aren't in berserk mode, if at all

Halvie

Banned
the pic you quote as not looking as good as you hoped...what the fuck did you expect? That picture looks amazing.

LukeSmith

Karma Kramer said:

I would've captured a beautiful new HD camcorder for eBay!

GhaleonEB said:
Bookmarked. This week is going to be NUTS, with this event tomorrow, PAX, Podcast, Update, the Wired pics, CG covention and 1up's coverage all starting. My god are we really still five weeks out? :lol

There is some jaggies in those pics, but I chalked at least some of that up to compression - these aren't in their native 720p. Even some of the 720p pics on bungie.net have some jaggies to them - it's not perfect. But it's everything else about them that makes it so impressive. I still can't get over the lighting.
Wow. Didn't realize that.

ElRenoRaven

LukeSmith said:
I would've captured a beautiful new HD camcorder for eBay!

I doubt it but would there be any offical footage taken to share with people that aren't lucky enough to be anywhere near Seattle?

Surfheart said:
I expected more from Microsoft's premier IP.
I expected more from Nintendo than the Wii, but I'm not shitting on your doorstep so why are you on mine?

Concerning the Flood from the Infinite Succor, it's an interesting situation and I've discussed this with some of you guys before. I've always been under the impression that the Flood came from sentient hosts and my definition of "sentient" dealt with the ability for the host to think and reason at one time.

In the story, we find the characters being thrown into a habitat on the Infinite Succor where there is wildlife, actual flora and fauna existing naturally on this spaceship...

BISLEY_WIP.jpg

Well, inside are these horrible looking dog-like Flood creatures and a variety Flood-infected animals which would not normally fall under my definition of the term sentient. Are we to see these in Halo 3?

manxor

Love the new screens... 36 days!
traveler said:
This is kinda unrelated to these shots, but I just remembered it- do we know what perspective the flamethrower is held from? Is it a turret style weapon or is carried about normally?
Yeah, it's a turret style weapon / 3rd person. I believe it also has a cool/recharge time between bursts.

Surfheart

Mr Vociferous said:
I expected more from Nintendo than the Wii, but I'm not shitting on your doorstep so why are you on mine?

Although the weight of evidence is against me with my Wii oriented Avatar and with me here posting negative opinions of Halo3's graphics, I can assure you I am far from the fanboy you are trying to paint me as. Look at my post history for proof.

Sorry I spoiled the love-in, I guess it's true that dissenting opinion is not allowed on GAF.

Carry on with the fapping gentlemen.

Edit: Oh and I agree with you about the Wii.

Top Bottom