• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

Ironically the best team at Blizzard is the one supporting HOTS.

They release content and new heroes fast and more importantly balance fix swiftly. They push out balance changes before most of the active community is even aware of a problem and the game is decently balanced for a MOBA. They are also on point with communication since they release patches often, they have to communicate as well.

As far as HS goes, it's not a matter of competency or lazyness, it's a matter of ambition. The reason why we don't have more modes or content aside from cards is that they probably don't want the game to become a behemoth on phones and become unwieldy too fast. As far as balancing goes, Blizzard has even admitted it is a problem but they haven't delivered on faster patches because the tech isn't there yet. We have been waiting on this tech for quite a while. My guess is that they don't have an efficient fix to this problem yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I gave up, you need to own some of the death knights and I don't have Jaina or Rexxar. Sigh.

rogue / druid / warlock / shaman / priest were super easy.

warrior took me several tries, it takes so long. In the end patrons did it for me and got tons of armors.

Paladin one is so BS, it takes several tries with murlocs, it's very frustrating, you need good draws and doomsayer on time.

For the first time pve is actually damn hard...

I beat him first time with Reno mage without jaina.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For the hunter one, I added in only barnes, y'saarj, and ragnaros, the same three minions I run on ladder. On my second try, turn 4 barnes summoned y'saarj, and then Ragnoros, and then y'saarj. Killed him turn 6 on a 50/50 shot. The deathknight wasn't needed at all, though it might have been if rag missed.

Even a 1/1 rag is fine for establishing early board control or doing some repeated 8 damage to face if you don't want to restart too much, which is why I personally include it in my ladder deck, though you might run out of gas without the deathknight for this boss unless you get y'saarj.

h3kSW0M.jpg

Does the ending change if you don't use the deathknight?

Ironically the best team at Blizzard is the one supporting HOTS.

They release content and new heroes fast and more importantly balance fix swiftly. They push out balance changes before most of the active community is even aware of a problem and the game is decently balanced for a MOBA. They are also on point with communication since they release patches often, they have to communicate as well.

As far as HS goes, it's not a matter of competency or lazyness, it's a matter of ambition. The reason why we don't have more modes or content aside from cards is that they probably don't want the game to become a behemoth on phones and become unwieldy too fast. As far as balancing goes, Blizzard has even admitted it is a problem but they haven't delivered on faster patches because the tech isn't there yet. We have been waiting on this tech for quite a while. My guess is that they don't have an efficient fix to this problem yet.
I don't believe that excuse for a second.

Agreed on HotS. Their team is fantastic. Very tuned into the player base and meta, usually make good balance changes, release interesting content regularly, and have fantastic communication.

The Overwatch team is the worst. They have a goldmine game but look at character viability:
https://www.overbuff.com/blobs/1mnIBzmXX1z.jpg

How fucking incompetent do you have to be for half of your characters to see ZERO competitive play in a first-person shooter? Most of those characters have never seen competitive play on a regular basis, even though the game gets balance patches about as often as HotS. Imagine how bad you would have to be at game balance to patch a game every month or so and most of the characters are still not viable. Meanwhile your genius team straight-up deletes a character because "1HKOs don't belong in Overwatch", and then immediately after you add a character who 1HKOs everyone.

Agreed on HotS. Their team is fantastic. Very tuned into the player base and meta, usually make good balance changes, release interesting content regularly, and have fantastic communication.

The Overwatch team is the worst. They have a goldmine game but look at character viability:
https://www.overbuff.com/blobs/1mnIBzmXX1z.jpg

How fucking incompetent do you have to be for half of your characters to see ZERO competitive play in a first-person shooter? Most of those characters have never seen competitive play on a regular basis, even though the game gets balance patches about as often as HotS. Imagine how bad you would have to be at game balance to patch a game every month or so and most of the characters are still not viable. Meanwhile your genius team straight-up deletes a character because "1HKOs don't belong in Overwatch", and then immediately after you add a character who 1HKOs everyone.

Wait since when did Reinhardt hit a 0% usage rate? Did they nerf him?

WTF. So every class gets a penalty...but the Lich King just removes the ability for Priest players to emote?

rofl

It's like Blizzard knows!

Dahbomb

Which excuse, the one about needing better tech to patch? Because that is actually a real one, they cannot actually balance patch cards in time because it's not a hot fix, they have to release a full patch. However, they can hotfix the number value of card frequency in Arena which is why they were quickly able to reduce frequency of Vicious Fledgling in Arena. And you know they care way more about Standard balancing than Arena balancing.

Brode showed a video of him tweaking numbers and values on a card in HS and it's like a 5 minute process. This is not a case of incompetency or lazyness but rather the tech not being efficient enough to deliver the changes via hotfixes. Now you can say that they are lazy/incompetent that such tech should've been in the game a long time ago but Blizzard made the game with card balancing in mind ie. metas develop over a longer period of time. Of course they didn't account for the ease of access to cards, online resources and the big community (not to mention the inherent simplicity of HS and in its mechanics) which results in the meta getting figured out really quickly so now they have to go back and change their tech to accommodate quicker balance changes.

Which excuse, the one about needing better tech to patch? Because that is actually a real one, they cannot actually balance patch cards in time because it's not a hot fix, they have to release a full patch. However, they can hotfix the number value of card frequency in Arena which is why they were quickly able to reduce frequency of Vicious Fledgling in Arena. And you know they care way more about Standard balancing than Arena balancing.

Brode showed a video of him tweaking numbers and values on a card in HS and it's like a 5 minute process. This is not a case of incompetency or lazyness but rather the tech not being efficient enough to deliver the changes via hotfixes. Now you can say that they are lazy/incompetent that such tech should've been in the game a long time ago but Blizzard made the game with card balancing in mind ie. metas develop over a longer period of time. Of course they didn't account for the ease of access to cards, online resources and the big community (not to mention the inherent simplicity of HS and in its mechanics) which results in the meta getting figured out really quickly so now they have to go back and change their tech to accommodate quicker balance changes.

No way does it take months to change the numbers on a card.

Managed to beat Paladin by turning the Lich King into Majordomo.

Beat Priest with Barnes cheese that pulled Y'shaarj and smashed his face in.

Warlock I used a Renolock.

Haven't tried out the rest, probably attempt a few more tomorrow.

sibarraz

Banned
Doesn't companies have to receive approvals from google and apple to release patches? Hots doesn't have the same problem than hearthstone and overwatch since that game is only avaliable on battle.net

Also I guess that changing could bring bugs too. plus they still have to playtest some of the changes to avoid a "heart of the card" situation again.

These Lich King battles are beyond stupid. Forced into singular play styles with obscene rng. The amount of instant restarts alone just to have an attempt makes this shit even terrible.

ZeroX03

Banned
Apparently the dust is compensation for the pity timer glitch? I dunno, I didn't get any dust, but still getting fucked by waiting 40 packs for legendary.

TankUP

I got 2k dust on Asia but nothing on EU or NA.

Didn't get any dust on any accounts the last time they gave out 2k dust (which was for a bug where people either didn't get an epic or a legendary they should have when pity timers were accidentally reset, 2000 being enough dust to craft one of each.)

I crafted DK Malfurion on Asia and I'm saving the rest of the dust for a rainy day. I would have rather gotten the dust on my main account but whatever, I guess.

Pooya

I did it!

found this hunter deck on reddit. don't need Barnes. Restart until have alleycat and hyena. It was way easier than I thought

AAECAYoWAA+NAaQCqAK1A4cEyQS7BZcIxQjbCYEK6asC6rsCjsMC180CAA==

Easy paladin list with majordomo. Murloc list is so hard to win with. This is better.

AAEBAYsWBOkP6RGdFYW4Ag1G3AP0Bc8G1gbtD+IR2a4Cu68Cs7sCuMcC2McC5csCAA==

The rest are straightforward, many things work.

Man, that was fun. I enjoyed it a lot. Best pve content yet.

Dahbomb

No way does it take months to change the numbers on a card.
It doesn't take months to change numbers on a card. It takes months to prepare a patch for multiple consoles (iOS, Android, PC), get it approved/certified, test it and then deploy it.

Changing numbers in HS isn't a hotfix, they have to actually release a file which patches the game just to change numbers on cards. At that point they would just rather save patches for when they have content to add rather than have to do them separately (cuts them time for patch approval and stuff, otherwise it would take even longer for stuff to get done).

I beat Hunter Lich King adventure by using double Stiches, Reno, Doomsayer as my only minions. Hard mulliganed for Stitces and Hunter DK, if I didn't get them I just restarted match. Getting that life steal Beast is a must in this match up.

Hycran

Banned
What are people using for the Warrior one? I'm struggling.

Here is my deck. Basically tried to run patrons but never had enough steam.

1 x Armorsmith
2 x Doomsayer
2 x Fiery War Axe
2 x Alarm-O-Bot
1 x Brann
1 x Coldlight Oracle
2 x Death's Bite
1 x Faceless Shambler
2 x Antique Healbot
2 x Corpse Raiser
1 x Faceless Manipulator
2 x Sludge Belcher
1 x Emperor Thaurissan
1 x Reno Jackson
1 x Foe Reaper 4000
1 x Grommash Hellscream
1 x Kel'Thuzad
1 x Ragnaros the Firelord
1 x The Lich King
1 x Blood of the Ancient One
1 x Ysera
1 x Deathwing V.1
1 x Deathwing V.2

While the deck may look like a mess, it actually has a number of win conditions. The only real strategy is to mulligan for fiery war axe and alarm o bot and let it ride from there. If you grab KT, FR4000 or the Lich King you're usually good to go. I actually had a lot of success with it but accidentally sabotaged myself twice.

manhack

Woot got legend. Pretty excited to get it with a week left in the season.

I played every tier 1 deck in the game on the way if you were wondering and some things like elemental rogue and token shaman.

Finally beat him with Patron Warrior off of 2x Grom Hellscream from Rotface.

Arthas' "You Are Beyond Redemption!" is the new meta for BM emotes. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom