• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

helo

Syf

Banned
So.. it's basically September and MS has yet to finalize a launch date. Doesn't give me much faith.

This sounds great but there´s gotta be a catch somewhere. Maybe restricted online like another gaffer mentioned a couple post back.

Maybe after buying it used you can´t sell it back.

I would say the second one sounds pretty good. Once you buy it, you can't sell again so every game gets 1 chance to be sold. That would work pretty well in my opinion.

Defect

I assume the digital marketplace would be something like the steam market where you can set the price that the person would pay but Ms/devs would take a small % cut. I think that ther will be a limit to how low you can set the price though.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
HmOXie6.jpg

So microsoft still has no idea when they're going to launch.

Edit: Beaten a million times already.

BTM

So, CS reps are getting trained on the 15th.

Nov 19 or Nov 22 launch?

Nov 26th at the latest (Tuesday before black friday)

Also, I don't understand how they could make a digital marketplace work.

Why would anyone buy a full price new digital copy of a game when they could buy a used copy? Seems like they'd lose potentially a lot of money upfront.

But who knows, maybe they make it back at the tail-end if they're taking $5-10 on every digital sale.

You probably wouldn't be able to resell the digital game until after a certain date after it comes out.

This sounds great but there´s gotta be a catch somewhere. Maybe restricted online like another gaffer mentioned a couple post back.

Maybe after buying it used you can´t sell it back.

That makes tons of sense right there if this policy came to be. You buy a NEW digital game, and you can sell it once. If you buy a Used Digital Game, you cannot sell it. That would keep used games from hogging up the marketplace to the point nobody buys digital games new several months after a game is released.

Also, I still do not understand why that survey would mention PlayStation Plus, if it was Microsoft sending out the Survey. I still stand behind, my opinion, that this survey is from a 3rd Party, a developer//publisher or retailer not under the Microsoft or Sony Umbrella.

Microsoft isn't going to send out a survey, to gauge interest in used digital games ecosystem, and mention Playstation Plus in it. I do not think this idea is exclusive to either console.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I sincerely hope Xbone launches on November 15 as well. Midnight launches are going to be insane.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow, still not finalized?

Back on topic, more thought about a potential digital marketplace. I originally thought the prices would be fixed between users, but what if, instead of only partially structuring itself like Ebay, it completely takes Ebay's formula? What if you could 'bid' on digital used copies? This would ensure that games would stay up on the marketplace longer, without increasing the amount actually available. Let's say someone bids on a used copy of Quantum break at the base limit of $20, but someone else can't find another used copy of QB below $35, so he bids $30 on the same copy, to undercut what he would pay for other copies. The natural limit of course would be when the digital copies approach the standard price of the new digital copy. So when QB gets a bid of $50, people would naturally stop bidding on it, because they can "get a new copy for the same price, anyway". If fleshed out, this system could be push a TON of people into the digital only sphere, and make the transition to MS's always online vision/digital vision a quick reality.

The publishers, microsoft, and devs would always get a fixed percentage of each sale, so it works in their best interest if people bid higher for used copies.

EDIT: I also think the concept of one-time resale would make the most sense, to avoid exploitation of the system

Satchel

Banned
That makes tons of sense right there if this policy came to be. You buy a NEW digital game, and you can sell it once. If you buy a Used Digital Game, you cannot sell it. That would keep used games from hogging up the marketplace to the point nobody buys digital games new several months after a game is released.

Also, I still do not understand why that survey would mention PlayStation Plus, if it was Microsoft sending out the Survey. I still stand behind, my opinion, that this survey is from a 3rd Party, a developer or retailer not under the Microsoft or Sony Umbrella.

Microsoft isn't going to send out a survey, to gauge interest in used digital games ecosystem, and mention Playstation Plus in it. I do not think this idea is exclusive to either console.

MS rewards surveys have mentioned other consoles plenty.

While I may be a MAN among MEN, I defer to CBOT when it comes to possessing a huge, marblesque, bulging-vein appendage of manhood ... it's truly a sight to behold ... and many a fair maiden would love to "hold" it, indeed!

Spongebob

Banned
Just to clarify again for others, he's saying that customer service reps are being trained on the 15th. This means the release will be after the 15th, with the 22nd being a good guess for the release.

Though I would have loved for both consoles to be released on the 15th, just for the mayhem that would ensue :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No fucking way I'm picking up my XBONE at a midnight launch. Too risky!

Step 1. Don't live in the shady part of town

Step 2. Get a ride home

Things will be fucking crazy if Xbone and PS4 launch the same day. Holy shit.

As for the selling digital stuff... That's super cool. It'd be nice if it panned out but I wot hold my breath.

No fucking way I'm picking up my XBONE at a midnight launch. Too risky!

When I got my PS3 at a Walmart during their Midnight Launch, they had security in the Parking Lot. Since they only had like 10-12 systems, they made everyone wait in the store, and we all left together, with security on stand by.

I am not saying this would be the case, but there will be so many people around, I really wouldn't worry. After you purchase your system, walk out with a couple of people in the store that purchased theirs. Strength in numbers my friend.

Codeblew

If MS pushes the trading, selling, and buying of used digital games then it will completely make up for their previous transgressions. This is absolutely groundbreaking stuff if true.

If they do this, I see publishers and Indies going even more in favor in PS4. Unless the publishers get a biiiiig cut. Which would means your resell value would be shit. Basic economics.

hwy_61

Banned
When I got my PS3 at a Walmart during their Midnight Launch, they had security in the Parking Lot. Since they only had like 10-12 systems, they made everyone wait in the store, and we all left together, with security on stand by.

I am not saying this would be the case, but there will be so many people around, I really wouldn't worry. After you purchase your system, walk out with a couple of people in the store that purchased theirs. Strength in numbers my friend.

I'll make sure to bring my dawgs with me!

Top Bottom