• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Does anyone here visit the Hex subreddit? As a really dissapointed pro tier backer, I expected a similar vibe in that subreddit to this thread, however its strangely 100% positive and there's absolutely zero questions about delays and suchs. Are the moderators of that subreddit heavily curating it?

Xetherion

The mods aren't curating it, just most of the people there are heavily invested in the game, streamers and the like. There's been some negative posts but they're always met with "It's beta", "if you aren't a programmer you don't get to talk about how long it takes develop features", "they can't give tentative release dates because people will throw a fit if they miss the date", etc. etc.

To be fair the first point is pretty valid, but the second two are BS. The delays with no communication about what's causing them have been frustrating. The recent post from DataDragon on the main website was pretty informative though, I wish they would give us communication like that more often.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
First draft, had a Vampire King, lost in the first round.

Second draft, game bugged out and I missed the first 4 cards drafted (and auto-drafted all commons -.-) so I made a troll-deck with 5 Twisted Fates.

and won.

Wacky.

Kyuur

First draft, had a Vampire King, lost in the first round.

Second draft, game bugged out and I missed the first 4 cards drafted (and auto-drafted all commons -.-) so I made a troll-deck with 5 Twisted Fates.

and won.

Wacky.

They really should make it so you auto-draft one of the rarest cards in the pack, not completely random.

How does one even make a deck with 5 TF!

Does anyone here visit the Hex subreddit? As a really dissapointed pro tier backer, I expected a similar vibe in that subreddit to this thread, however its strangely 100% positive and there's absolutely zero questions about delays and suchs. Are the moderators of that subreddit heavily curating it?

Everyone knows that the delays are due to development incompetence/mismanagement/underestimating dev time, and it's kind of a waste of energy in my opinion to shout and scream about it. It won't make the devs create faster. -shrug- There's a lot of people who prefer to just play and enjoy the game.

Smiley90

They really should make it so you auto-draft one of the rarest cards in the pack, not completely random.

How does one even make a deck with 5 TF!

it's simple, really.

Pick Twisted Fate whenever you can

Pick cards like Mutate (draw a card), atrophy (draw a card), oracle (draw 2 cards) and whatever other card draw you can get your hands on. Make sure you pick the pay 2 health to draw a card hero. Then mill them into oblivion while you hopefully have some way to keep them at bay (you don't have to beat them on the board, just stop them from attacking you early)

Kyuur

Anyone get a chance to attend the free tournament this weekend? I wasn't around to join, wondering if they finally managed to get an unlimited tournie to fire.

IllumiNate

I pretty much have every card to build all the tier 1 decks now.
Out of over 300 boosters I only pulled a single Vamp King! I had to purchase the remaining three.
Gonna build and test out the Blood/Diamond.Decks
And the
Ruby/Saphire.decks

Any word on Set 2's release date?

Smiley90

LOL most amazing luck moment I've had

Play replicator's gambit on a Throat Cutter (Rage 1 to all Orcs), DRAW THE THROAT CUTTER WITH THE DRAW ACTION FROM THE GAMBIT

Other Orc I had on the field gained Rage 7. Insta-win. that felt a bit unfair with how lucky I got. :lol

Kyuur

LOL most amazing luck moment I've had

Play replicator's gambit on a Throat Cutter (Rage 1 to all Orcs), DRAW THE THROAT CUTTER WITH THE DRAW ACTION FROM THE GAMBIT

Other Orc I had on the field gained Rage 7. Insta-win. that felt a bit unfair with how lucky I got. :lol

Gambit seriously is the most fun card when it works. Maybe Reginald too (I'm not fortunate enough to own a single copy of him v_v).

This game. It's like a train wreck I can't look away from. I want it so badly to be successful but the team at CZE is so obviously incompetent, it's hard to muster up anything but laughter for the game. I already see my $120 contribution as a waste. Just to think a year ago CZE advertised having a Christmas PVE event... Or the announced set 2 for August that still is not existent, with zero update as to its progress (after multiple arguments from staff that it needed to come out as soon as possible to sustain the game)... Or the fact that Open Beta still hasn't occurred even though they very obviously geared up for it months ago... All supported by a cast of forum characters that would die for Cory and his band of clowns

It's been a comedy of errors, but man has it been entertaining in all the wrong ways

This game. It's like a train wreck I can't look away from. I want it so badly to be successful but the team at CZE is so obviously incompetent, it's hard to muster up anything but laughter for the game. I already see my $120 contribution as a waste. Just to think a year ago CZE advertised having a Christmas PVE event... Or the announced set 2 for August that still is not existent, with zero update as to its progress (after multiple arguments from staff that it needed to come out as soon as possible to sustain the game)... Or the fact that Open Beta still hasn't occurred even though they very obviously geared up for it months ago... All supported by a cast of forum characters that would die for Cory and his band of clowns

It's been a comedy of errors, but man has it been entertaining in all the wrong ways

CZE and the vocal supporters who have yet to abandon the game are in some weird echo chamber. Objectively, the game is a pile of shit and CZE routinely fails to meet minimal promises, but you wouldn't know it from reading the forums because they are being astroturffed by the same dozen people over and over.

Though the latest "lol we are re-posting twitch streams" update even ticked one of the True Believers off, but that ship got righted almost immediately when Hex "I Kickstarted this Game for $10,000+" Colin showed up to spin this as good news because it showed "that we're clearly starting the publicity train." Yeah, six twitch streams that no one is watching. Dat publicity train.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=38765

What is this shit: "I bet you’re asking yourself why not just call it open beta? Well, we’re not ready to call it open beta. However, we’ve reached a point in our testing where we needed to increase the volume of players on our servers to provide us with additional information and logs."

Hilarious. They were tying various milestones to the release of open beta previously, so they just won't call this an open beta.

Ha. They deleted a shit ton of posts and locked the thread where everyone with half a brain figured out why they were not calling this open beta. Someone must have then realized locking it was a bad idea, so they unlocked it.

Sorry for the triple post, but this is ridiculous.

They get a new community manager, whose prime function is just damage control spin doctoring. I just got threatened with a forum and game ban for "spamming and trolling" the thread on the "not-open-beta-but-open-beta" thread. He probably deleted half the posts in there, after he posted a "prove me wrong" post that bit him in the ass.

Did he give you the same line of bullshit ryuukan? I guess he didn't like my "I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!" post.

Ryuukan

Sorry for the triple post, but this is ridiculous.

They get a new community manager, whose prime function is just damage control spin doctoring. I just got threatened with a forum and game ban for "spamming and trolling" the thread on the "not-open-beta-but-open-beta" thread. He probably deleted half the posts in there, after he posted a "prove me wrong" post that bit him in the ass.

Did he give you the same line of bullshit ryuukan? I guess he didn't like my "I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!" post.

I was threatened with a forum ban actually

I was threatened with a forum ban actually

I got:

Removed forum post
Greetings,

This PM is to make you aware that several posts were removed from the forums which were authored by you. Your posts were in direct violation of the Forum Code of Conduct. More specifically the following rule: http://www.cryptozoic.com/coc#Spamming or Trolling

Any further infraction will result in a suspension or ban from the forums and or game.
-Phenteo, Community Manager
Twitter: @CM_Phenteo | @HEXTCG

It's their prerogative to moderate their own forums as heavily as they wish, not much I can disagree about that.

When their community manager sets up a "prove me wrong" post, gets proven wrong by a dozen people, and then threatens everyone with bans, I can disagree with it.

He would have been better off saying nothing than trying to defend this move.

garath

Ok. So it's now in semi-open beta (lol). Is it worth playing? I've been playing some Solforge on my phone and enjoying it.

Smiley90

Ha. They deleted a shit ton of posts and locked the thread where everyone with half a brain figured out why they were not calling this open beta. Someone must have then realized locking it was a bad idea, so they unlocked it.

why? Because of promises they made that came with open beta?

why? Because of promises they made that came with open beta?

Correct. They had tied the release of set 2 with the release of open beta. So, the brain trust at CZE thought "lol we'll just call it public beta and no one will notice." There were about 100 deleted posts on the official forums calling them out for this.

The bigger question is why they claim they need more people "stress testing" the system when their system can't handle the small number of players currently.

Smiley90

Correct. They had tied the release of set 2 with the release of open beta. So, the brain trust at CZE thought "lol we'll just call it public beta and no one will notice." There were about 100 deleted posts on the official forums calling them out for this.

The bigger question is why they claim they need more people "stress testing" the system when their system can't handle the small number of players currently.

because they need more money obv

Qvoth

so... is there any pve stuff implemented yet?
that's the only thing i'm mildly interested on, already got the key few months ago but haven't started the game even once

Brakara

Ok. So it's now in semi-open beta (lol). Is it worth playing? I've been playing some Solforge on my phone and enjoying it.

It's only worth checking out if you're willing to put some money into it, since unlike games like SolForge and Hearthstone, it can't really be enjoyed for free.

People are negative here, but that's more because development is going slowly and is still buggy. For example, I was going to play in the VIP tournament on Saturday, but wasn't even able to login. But the game itself is a solid Magic++ game, when it works.

Xater

So still no PVE or ways to actually play this game for free? What the hell is going on with the development of this game?

What the hell is going on with the development of this game?

That's the million-dollar-Kickstarter question and there has been no real explanation given by CZE. Instead, people have basically been cobbling the facts together.

When the kickstarter launched, they claimed they needed more money just for a "little push" to get the game to launch in October of 2013. Supposedly, the development had been farmed out to a different company that dropped it or folded (I'm not sure) and then CZE took it back in house. In a moment of extreme hubris, abject stupidity, or dishonesty, they claimed they could finish development in house and meet their launch date for all their promised content. No one really knows what state the game was in when they took it in house, because they are not saying. They showed streams during the kickstarter build up that certainly had problems, but wrote those off as "the sausage being made."

When the alpha came out roughly two months before "launch", it was clear there was no possible way they were going to hit their launch targets. More often than not, patches would be released that broke more than they fixed. The initial closed beta client was objectively less-stable than the final alpha. CZE then proceeded to blow every milestone date and then just stopped giving out ETA's entirely. Progress on the closed beta was not good, and then in the Spring of 2014 they got sued for intellectual property violations by Wizards of the Coast. When CZE first had notice of Wizards threatening suit is unknown, but the court pleadings suggest that Wizards had tried to reach a licensing deal with CZE that would have avoided the suit, but CZE balked (this is Wizard's take on the situation, so who knows).

There have been a long series of PR plunders and poor decision making beyond the development problems. They showed the game off at various cons, and the rewards handed out at the cons were not even in the game. They hooked up with Gameforge as their server and QA partner, who has a terrible reputation. They enabled a way to get "free" in-game cash by doing those bullshit surveys and product trial things, a number of which were clearly scams (Russian Brides!) but were reachable through the in-game client where personal information was perhaps not as rigorous as it should have been. They steadfastly remained tight-lipped, but would reveal progress to their high-dollar kickstarters, who would then casually drop "hints" about stuff. The Doublespeak with the recent "open beta that isn't open beta" is just the icing on cake, because the claim that they need more users to stress test is ludicrous when just last weekend the VIP tournament failed with the current user level, which is not high.

Some of this is just educated speculation, but someone could write a book about this if they knew the truth. At this point, we are over a year past the launch date and have way less than half of what was promised with the specter of a lawsuit that could result in a temporary injunction or worse hanging over the game.

The only kickstarter I backed that I regret and that is not being developed as planned at all (most projects I backed had delays, but nothing sort of this). Unfortunately it's also the one I dropped the most money on (250$) and among those I had the most confidence on =/. I knew I would love the game since I love Magic and how risky of a project can it be to make an online card game right...?

Live and learn I suppose.

Watcher

i backed this game for $50 and havent touched it in months. It was a broken mess when i was playing and figured it would all be smoothed out by now but seeing how dead this thread is and by reading the last page i see nothings changed. What a joke. fuck kickstarter

Kyuur

While not perfect, the game is hardly a 'broken mess'. I think most of the people who were playing and posting here are simply waiting for some more content (Set 2!). The core game is fun as hell.

Of course, I'm not a backer so I don't really have anything 'invested' in the game (although I've spent more than most people who backed in this thread I would guess) and I can understand why backers might be upset. But the negativity in this thread does get a bit grating at some times.

Ryuukan

No one doubts the "core game"

It's the software development that has been atrocious (the bug fix patch next week is for an issue that has come and gone since alpha)

I wondered if they were hoping to be acquired by a larger company after the Kickstarter and the remedial progress they've made on the client since answers that.

First impressions:

The tutorial is super handy, and helps explain a lot of things. For the actual game, it seems pretty solid (I picked the Human deck, which has white and blue mana) and the threshold system is really clever. It is kinda annoying you have to "confirm" all the phases and plays, but it looks like you can adjust all that jazz in the settings.

As for the rest of HEX, I kinda don't have anything to do after messing up the AI. I got some gold, but it looks like it's nowhere near enough to actually buy another pack of cards, and each card has like a buy-out price of at least 800goldish.

I guess I'll just dive back in when PvE content is introduced.

Aselith

First impressions:

The tutorial is super handy, and helps explain a lot of things. For the actual game, it seems pretty solid (I picked the Human deck, which has white and blue mana) and the threshold system is really clever. It is kinda annoying you have to "confirm" all the phases and plays, but it looks like you can adjust all that jazz in the settings.

As for the rest of HEX, I kinda don't have anything to do after messing up the AI. I got some gold, but it looks like it's nowhere near enough to actually buy another pack of cards, and each card has like a buy-out price of at least 800goldish.

I guess I'll just dive back in when PvE content is introduced.

Yeah at this point this is not the game to play if you want to play for free.

Smiley90

Such optimism.

Best case scenario 1&3 month behind announcement nr x and like 1.5 years behind schedule isn't THAT optimistic... is it?

I didn't say FUNCTIONAL set 2/arena. It'll probably work sometime by Canada Day.

Cory doing an "AMA" on the official forums

Estimating Set 2 in November and Arena in December

It's cool to see the interaction but it still feels like mostly bullshit. I mean we all know the timeline isn't going to stick, and all the talk about other features is so far away or just pie in the sky nonsense that's gotten them in trouble in the first place.

Top Bottom