• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Kyuur

If they manage to pull off those dates it sounds great. Beyond set 2, Async and Arena will alleviate a lot of the problems people have with the game currently and as long as they manage to follow through with consistent updates next year they'll be golden.

The delay on set 2 has actually been kind of a boon for me, given that I've been broke the last few months haha.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Which of the spoiled cards of set 2 is everyone excited for picking up in the AH? Obviously not even close to everything has been spoiled and there are still bombs to be shown that entire decks might be based around, however we can still theorize.

List of rares/legendary cards so far:
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/rarity=r&rarity=l&set=sd

For me it's:

1. Wrathwood Master Moss - Best card revealed so far at the legendary slot. 5/5 for 4 that becomes a 2/2 when it dies. Said 2/2 has the chance to transform back into the 5/5 if it deals combat damage or is somehow reverted (Neat is that you can Trick of Light this card when it's attacking with the 2/2. Even if they use removal in response..trick still draws you a card so it is a 1-1 trade. They're forced to block the mini-moss or you get a free Master Moss so by tricking in response you're bound to kill a troop with the reverted 5/5 in the process).

2. Hopeheart Unicorn - In an extinction format, this card is obviously a god send. The 3/3 stats make it fit outside of burn range which is very relevant. The problem is that a diamond troop heavy strategy isn't really good right now. Tons of cards to be revealed to change that though (there are already some) and the card isn't going anywhere.

3. Crackling Vortex - Awesome card. Dual shard decks are sorta expensive in their threshold costs so I'm not sure how much not gaining a threshold matters but a resource that is 1/2 of a free card (2 charges on a 4 charge ability like Gozzog and Poca) is really nice.

4. Filk Ape - While revert hasn't been the most prevalent anti-permanent mechanic so far, having it done on an aoe scale is great. Card needs to survive until the end phase however which means against certain match-ups it could be a bust. Also can be used with your own transformations to turn cards back to their original form (Izydor/Vampire King's Vamps/Moss/Zombie Plague as a few ideas. PROBABLY not corrupted afterlife lol.)

5. Izydor - I want to like this card but I'm really not sure how good it is. The text is blurry so the cost of using the one shot is unknown but apparently it is 5. That's really expensive but maybe do-able. I'm interested in a wild/blood midrange filled with Vamps, Mosses, Izydor and the like with some revert cards (Trick of Light/Filk Ape?). It's a deck I REALLY want to make work but I can already see how it could be rather gimmicky. If the concept doesn't work, Blood/Wild still has the best midrange troops in the game so far so it's not like I'll be wasting much money.

6. Forge of Cadoc - While the card might not see use right away, it has a high potential for future use. Especially considering that in the digital space we can create cards in our hands. Possibly a simple 1/1 robot can be added to the hand easily and be used for this cards cost. Might not pick it up right away since I don't expect instant use out of it in any good decks.

7.Fury of the Mountain God - Possible super scary card. Obviously a lot better if you open with it but it's to be noted that you don't even need the troops to deal combat damage as the cards that ping you for 1 at the start of your turn will reduce his cost and so will cards with sockets that deal direct damage. I'll need to see it in action to really judge it.

8. Highland Shinobi - 2/2 swiftstrike for 2 AND will exhaust a troop every time you play a shard. Any Diamond aggro decks best friend. I'm curious if the card will exhaust 2 cards when you play Crackling Vortex. Considering you gain both charges at the same time, probably not.

9. Drowned Shrine of Ulthar - The card might not seem great in that it's not reactive, however because of the champion system it can be always live against certain match-ups. It's worth picking as a side deck option against future decks without easy artifact removal.

10. Junk Bot - No competitive reason. Just a silly card. Same with Eternal Drifter.

Honorable Mentions: Noble Heart, Rise Again, Mass Poly Dingler, Prince Talysen, Aborean Rootfather, Stonetusk, Royal Den Mother- Cards that aren't major wants for me but I think are good cards. I know I'll try to make a deck with Prince because of how badly I want to play a Mastery of Time for free. Also I'll make a separate deck with Rise Again since I like revival strategies.

Zeedu wasn't included because I am 99% sure the text was changed to better reflect the new "Replica" mechanic instead of just cloning cards. Also the current text kinda sucks since he has to deal combat damage before doing anything unlike Uruunaz.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the tunneling cards shown so far. Guess I'll have to try it before I really judge it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Citadel of Adamanth is pretty cool, thematically

also, how are you completely ignoring Killipede? :O

Ryuukan

I get the feeling that a lot of those Gencon cards will be changed in the final release just like Set 1 had some major changes right before beta started. I would only trust the spoilers that they've shown themselves or given to gaming sites.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Citadel of Adamanth is pretty cool, thematically

also, how are you completely ignoring Killipede? :O

Right. Citadel is neat to me too but perhaps for a different reason. Since I'm a huge inspire junkie, the fact that the card creates 5 troop bodies of higher than 3 cost is useful. Sadly they all have defensive so with our current pool of inspires the only relevant buff would be Mirror Knight or defensive buffs.

Killipede has potential if more cards that can apply "toxified" is released. Like a low cost aggro troop that can apply the mark but can't execute the kill. Or some action that will apply the mark under some situation. Otherwise it's just too much effort.

I get the feeling that a lot of those Gencon cards will be changed in the final release just like Set 1 had some major changes right before beta started. I would only trust the spoilers that they've shown themselves or given to gaming sites.

True. The changes before beta basically saved the constructed game for me. I would not have played during the Eye of Creation vs. Control format that forced any other deck out of the game. EoC was just too fast for even aggro decks and their control matchup which was one of the only decks that could fight it was a coin toss by how many solitary exiles/extinctions they get. The buffs to Falcon and nerfs to ramp and control really helped the format become a lot better.
On the draft side the nerf to sapphire flying was nice too.

I just assumed changes will be less because of how according to the Q&A, a lot of their design team is focused on set 3/4/5 + They also had a September release date scheduled which wasn't too far before gencon. I doubt the set was delayed for balance reasons but maybe while the team was fixing problems the balance team took another look at the set.

Kyuur

I find it hard to pick out particular cards I like without rummaging around in draft/sealed for a while. I often don't see possible synergies until I have a more limited card set to look at. Seeing everything at once is just overwhelming!

November 32nd?

"Hi my name is Cory Jones but you can call me t3h PeNgU1N of d00m!!!!! lol I'm so random. Open Beta is closed beta and December 2nd is in November."

Not to gripe on the already full gripe train, but I thought set 2 was supposed to have more unique digital themed cards? Like why would you not feature them in your hype article.

None of those cards do anything interesting or differ from set 1.

Kyuur

Not to gripe on the already full gripe train, but I thought set 2 was supposed to have more unique digital themed cards? Like why would you not feature them in your hype article.

What kind of effects are you looking for? Transformation, duplication, persistence and random card generation are all do-able in non-digital, but significantly harder to actually keep track of.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything that can -only- be done digitally. Here's one of the cool uniques they showed off:

EternalDrifter.jpg

But it could still be done in paper play. I think that's about as 'digitally themed' as we'll get.

I don't know, I don't get paid to design cards. Nor is it about designing cards you can only do in the digital format, but are much more feasible in the digital format.

A card that reverts the field to the state it was in one, or a number, of turns before it.

A card that allows you to see only parts of another card. Like say, a card that reveals to you the color and power value of your opponent's next draw, or the color and cost. For the sake of coding it can just show you a placeholder card with changes to its card stats based on the condition.

I'll admit, it was a struggle to brainstorm a couple of ideas.

I do like that artifact though. You could do quite a bit with cards that change prior to being seen or played. For every troop your opponent plays, this card gains +1/+1 and +1 cost, or changes color and gains one of that color's trademark ailities (blue flight, red haste, etc)

Obviously I don't know how these are balanced, but would be cool to see.

Oh, come on. Everyone has at least one of those triple back diamond monk things whose name escapes me.

That's not what I am talking about, but I guess it was called "double back." Every card is supposed to have a "double back" where it tracks stats on that individual card, such as how much damage it has done, how many times it has been played, etc. The cards are supposed to "transform" to alternate art or have special markings or something for meeting achievements with the cards, such as killing X number of creatures.

5b58add9905b2948e49b5a97ba76fad2_large.png

Smiley90

Oh, come on. Everyone has at least one of those triple back diamond monk things whose name escapes me.

That's not what I am talking about, but I guess it was called "double back." Every card is supposed to have a "double back" where it tracks stats on that individual card, such as how much damage it has done, how many times it has been played, etc. The cards are supposed to "transform" to alternate art or have special markings or something for meeting achievements with the cards, such as killing X number of creatures.

I was gonna say I don't think that's what he means :lol

Hope that gets implemented before 2017

I don't know, I don't get paid to design cards. Nor is it about designing cards you can only do in the digital format, but are much more feasible in the digital format.

A card that reverts the field to the state it was in one, or a number, of turns before it.

A card that allows you to see only parts of another card. Like say, a card that reveals to you the color and power value of your opponent's next draw, or the color and cost. For the sake of coding it can just show you a placeholder card with changes to its card stats based on the condition.

I'll admit, it was a struggle to brainstorm a couple of ideas.

I do like that artifact though. You could do quite a bit with cards that change prior to being seen or played. For every troop your opponent plays, this card gains +1/+1 and +1 cost, or changes color and gains one of that color's trademark ailities (blue flight, red haste, etc)

Obviously I don't know how these are balanced, but would be cool to see.

Yeah, these are some really innovative ideas that take better advantage of the digital environment imho.

Ahhh, my bad. I feel like a fool, lol.

Kyuur

I feel like I can taste your bitterness through my monitor sometimes Finch!

Doublebacks are neat, but I'd rather have more cards or game modes. Cards are generally interesting enough for me to try to use them already without 'achievement' incentives (with the exception of maybe Tectonic Break).

Anybody backers get a chance to read a bit of the novel they just released? I might purchase it if our Kindle wasn't broken. :(

dmcAxle

Neo Member

How about this?
Monsuun-Shogun-of-Windajin.png

An extension of the tunneling mechanic but the key thing here is that it adds the counters in secret which you can't really do otherwise.

Or
Subterranean-Spy.png

This guy lets you see their hand (which is nothing special by itself to other card games of course), but the key point is that you see their hand without them ever knowing you did until it surfaces.

Not really sure what you consider exciting but these are digital mechanics of secrecy not present in set 1.

All the other spoilers can be viewed in these 2 links
https://hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-previews-prismatic-humans/
https://hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-what-lurks-below/

3 more days of cards we didn't see at Gencon + cards spoiled by facebook/twitter/fansites. None of them have been bottom of the barrels either.

Kyuur

Did not know they posted new spoilers. *_* Thanks for the bump.

Monsuun looks like a beast of a card. These two cards are ridiculous as well:

Disregarding bounce/conflict, Queen lets you get Shimmer up incredibly fast. She's impossible to kill as long as you save tapping her until the end of the enemy's turn. Inspire really is one of my favorite deck types so I'm going to have to play around with this.

1 week to go! Do you guys think we should make a new thread for combined set2/open beta since it doesn't look like the mods have changed the title?

Smiley90

Did not know they posted new spoilers. *_* Thanks for the bump.

Monsuun looks like a beast of a card. These two cards are ridiculous as well:

Disregarding bounce/conflict, Queen lets you get Shimmer up incredibly fast. She's impossible to kill as long as you save tapping her until the end of the enemy's turn. Inspire really is one of my favorite deck types so I'm going to have to play around with this.

1 week to go! Do you guys think we should make a new thread for combined set2/open beta since it doesn't look like the mods have changed the title?

Lady Shimmer & Blessing of the Fallen has INSANE synergy. You get all the graveyard inspires too which means... uh... there'll be a LOT of her out there. And since she makes non-unique copies, it's even worse it to run a full deck of her since who cares if the original gets discarded if you can get 5+ copies out.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
She's impossible to kill as long as you save tapping her until the end of the enemy's turn. Inspire really is one of my favorite deck types so I'm going to have to play around with this.

Actually she only gives Prince/Princess/King invincible and not Queen. Would be pretty crazy if she could protect herself.

And uh..about the OT. Considering it would be posted back into the main forums and people would be more interested about the game in open beta, I would like to wait until the game has working PVE elements (a few weeks after arena is out and maybe PVE cards are in) before a new thread is created. The game will present itself much better after that. I'd also love to create the thread myself since I can put a lot into it..however I'll probably still be junior by then since I don't post too often. Maybe someone can post the thread for me (unless someone else really wants to do it).

Kyuur

Actually she only gives Prince/Princess/King invincible and not Queen. Would be pretty crazy if she could protect herself.

And uh..about the OT. Considering it would be posted back into the main forums and people would be more interested about the game in open beta, I would like to wait until the game has working PVE elements (aka a few weeks after arena is out and maybe PVE cards are in) before a new thread is created. Considering how many people are interested in the game just for PVE.

Oh darn. I guess that might be too powerful though, would at least need to put her in Burn range or something.

I think a perfect mono diamond starting hand would be something like this:

Princess Victoria, Shield Trainer, Queen Grace, Lady Shimmer, 3x Shard

Draw 1 shards and 2 more inspire (Shield Trainer, Protectorate Clergy, Kraken Mariner or Seapriest) on turns 2~4. Turn 5 drop Shimmer for six 5/5 (or higher) with Lifedrain/Steadfast). Extinction wrecks of course, but Hopeheart helps with that or you could run Diamond/Sapphire for counters. So much potential!

You might be right on holding off the new OT until F2P elements are introduced, since that is/was what a lot of people are looking forward to.

Smiley90

New card spoiler!

Constantina.jpg

Card text ability is not TOO great but a 2cost 3/3 with steadfast? GIMME.

Smiley90

Was that true of steadfast before? I know it didn't exhaust if you attacked but I wasn't aware you couldn't even target them with exhaustion spells?

You misunderstand. It has steadfast ON TOP of the "your cards can't be exhausted" ability.

Yeah those cards are much more interesting than what they showed in the one article.

Also lol delays. Should know by now never to get hyped for anything about this game.

Kyuur

Shinhare preview, upcoming UI changes and a set 2 dragon:

https://hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-shinhare/
https://hextcg.com/friday-update-zakiir/

UI looks good except.. why the change to the chain? It seems less clear to me than before. Maybe I need to see it in action. Iunno.

Let's talk about this guy though.

Zakiir.png

He doesn't show his power immediately on play, which balances him a little, but holy crap. His powers range from 'great in mono-ruby/not bad in multishard' to 'ridiculously strong' to 'omg broken'. I mean:

Power-of-Zakiir-Glimpse-of-Insanity.png

No % chance listing lead me to believe it's an even split, with the worst power being a free Ruby Lance. Feels much more powerful than the other dragons, although I'm not sure where he fits in with current Ruby as aggro is the main strat. Maybe burn decks or something else.

Kyuur

Oh look, a 4 cost diamond inspire. Perfect Shimmer curve incoming:

Princess Victoria + Shield Trainer + Queen Grace + Protectorate Clergyman + Alwyn =
6x 9/11 Troops with Lifedrain on turn 5

At first I thought "why even use Sword Trainer now" but he's Unique.

Man... these new cards are getting me so hyped, but I just don't have the budget to be putting money towards this right now :( Can't wait for the PvE and f2p stuff to happen.

Top Bottom