• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

So, Set 2 is actually coming on out on, what, September 90th now?

What a clown show. They are proactively disabling tournaments after the "upcoming" patch for "testing." Shouldn't they be testing this before they patch? I understand their track record of breaking more shit than they fix with each patch probably warrants this, but come on.

Kyuur

So, Set 2 is actually coming on out on, what, September 90th now?

What a clown show. They are proactively disabling tournaments after the "upcoming" patch for "testing." Shouldn't they be testing this before they patch? I understand their track record of breaking more shit than they fix with each patch probably warrants this, but come on.

Where did you see this this? Set 2 is effectively pointless to me if tournaments aren't running. I can wait until the release weekend but it would be kind of disappointing.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=39413&page=3&p=437853&viewfull=1#post437853

It seems getting his money back isn't the real goal. Knowing that Colin guy, he'd actually pay.

I want a refund from the company, not some fanboy. I want the people who said they just needed $300k for a "little push" to fully launch in October of last year to give me my money back because they have repeatedly failed to deliver.

The money is no issue for me. I could have kickstarted for $10 and I'd be asking for a refund.

Shinjica

I want a refund from the company, not some fanboy. I want the people who said they just needed $300k for a "little push" to fully launch in October of last year to give me my money back because they have repeatedly failed to deliver.

The money is no issue for me. I could have kickstarted for $10 and I'd be asking for a refund.

Sorry for this question but, why you didnt ask the refund months ago when they were refunding people not happy?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Neo Member
Sorry for this question but, why you didnt ask the refund months ago when they were refunding people not happy?

Refunds were open for a while, but were closed before it was so blatantly obvious that they are completely over their heads and were completely misleading with where they said the game progress was actually at.

It's been 8 months since refunds were offered and it has been nothing but discouraging progress since then. If in April before refunds were closed they had said "PvE wont' be in by year end, Set 2 MIGHT be in by year end and we will still be having buggy tournaments, no real trading and game breaking issues with Set 1 in December" I'm guessing many more people would have been jumping on the refund option, myself likely included.

Refunds were open for a while, but were closed before it was so blatantly obvious that they are completely over their heads and were completely misleading with where they said the game progress was actually at.

It's been 8 months since refunds were offered and it has been nothing but discouraging progress since then. If in April before refunds were closed they had said "PvE wont' be in by year end, Set 2 MIGHT be in by year end and we will still be having buggy tournaments, no real trading and game breaking issues with Set 1 in December" I'm guessing many more people would have been jumping on the refund option, myself likely included.

Correct. The refunds were opened in response to them changing the stack. That bothered me, but not enough for a refund. As soon as the refunds were closed, it suddenly turned to "we're getting sued" (which they had to have known was coming before they closed refunds), no ETAs, patches that broke more than they fixed, bugged everything, no PvE, no trading, Russian Brides, etc., to say nothing of the constant delays.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Meh. I'm not going to tell you whether or not you should be angry but I personally don't really understand it. What you were promised is still coming, and there are sure signs of progress happening. It seems like honest intentions to me. I doubt you'll be dead in a year or you get a sudden hate for TCGs and never experience it all. Though there should probably some PR post admitting their mistakes instead of just brushing everything aside as part of the process and avoiding the problem.

Aselith

Meh. I'm not going to tell you whether or not you should be angry but I personally don't really understand it. What you were promised is still coming, and there are sure signs of progress happening. It seems like honest intentions to me. I doubt you'll be dead in a year or you get a sudden hate for TCGs and never experience it all. Though there should probably some PR post admitting their mistakes instead of just brushing everything aside as part of the process and avoiding the problem.

Money isn't infinite. They're going to run out if they go too far over and the rush to an open beta and Set 2 suggests things are getting tight.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Neo Member
Money isn't infinite. They're going to run out if they go too far over and the rush to an open beta and Set 2 suggests things are getting tight.

If I were a betting man, and things continue as is, I'd put odds on us seeing a second Kickstarter or fundraiser of some sort eventually. I'd probably also bet on it being successful in hitting it's goal, but not in making any noticeable change in development.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
True. Though it's not like they're living by just the kickstarter money and the probably small HEX money.

CZE makes decent enough money. It's not as bad as they make it. They're not a public company that gives out any financial information but I do see their products very often in any hobby store and some of the bigger retail stores. I have no data whether or not they actually leave those shelves though. I think the DC Comics game is their most popular right now? Obviously there are costs to those games too, but I'm sure CZE is putting quite a bit of cash to HEX themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptozoic_Entertainment

If I were a betting man, and things continue as is, I'd put odds on us seeing a second Kickstarter or fundraiser of some sort eventually. I'd probably also bet on it being successful in hitting it's goal, but not in making any noticeable change in development.

That's essentially fraud by kickstarter's terms at that point, right? They have one kickstarter, ask for $300,000, get over $2,250,000, and still fail to deliver and ask for more money? I haven't read the new kickstarter terms since they changed them on failure to deliver, but coming back to ask for more money would be outrageous.

Here are the Kickstarter terms:

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers

So, the first time frame was materially misrepresented and the legitimate timeframes since then have been "when it's done" or dates that have been blown.

I don't think these developers see anything more than the dollar signs coming in when they announce crazy stretch goals and ludicrous release dates that they cannot possibly believe are viable and the public has no knowledge of how accurate they are. Shit, we still don't even have the first stretch goal (authenticator support), but they keep playing semantic games with words like "launch" and "open beta" and "November 32nd" to avoid addressing these issues.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Neo Member
I don't think these developers see anything more than the dollar signs coming in when they announce crazy stretch goals and ludicrous release dates that they cannot possibly believe are viable and the public has no knowledge of how accurate they are. Shit, we still don't even have the first stretch goal (authenticator support), but they keep playing semantic games with words like "launch" and "open beta" and "November 32nd" to avoid addressing these issues.

I've always just gotten the impression that the people doing the actual programming and development are either grossly understaffed, horribly mismanaged or simply not skilled at what they are doing. Or of course some combination of the three.

The art, actual set development and everything on that side have been great. Set 1 is a fantastic set in pretty much every way.

So... do you really think that? That they never underestimate time limits? For god's sake, they got sued by Wizards. That's gonna slow stuff down.

Aselith

So... do you really think that? That they never underestimate time limits? For god's sake, they got sued by Wizards. That's gonna slow stuff down.

In what regard? I mean Cory might have to take a little time for it but that's lawyer shit. It's not like the dev team is moonlighting as their legal defense team also...I hope.

In June of 2013, they said the game would fully launch the game in October of 2013. It's 18 months later and we only have part of the game, and that part is still in beta. No one in their right mind would have said the game was launchable in 4 months, but they did, to try to suck money out of people.

What does the lawsuit have to do with the game development?

In what regard? I mean Cory might have to take a little time for it but that's lawyer shit. It's not like the dev team is moonlighting as their legal defense team also...I hope.

Not coordinating, but paying for it, and possibly being called to give depositions. Lawsuits are a time and money hole in general.

In June of 2013, they said the game would fully launch the game in October of 2013. It's 18 months later and we only have part of the game, and that part is still in beta. No one in their right mind would have said the game was launchable in 4 months, but they did, to try to suck money out of people.

What does the lawsuit have to do with the game development?

Except... you don't know that? I mean, it's possible they were wildly optimistic, which is it's own problem, but there could have been considerable setbacks. The lawsuit takes up time and money that would otherwise be going to the development.

Not coordinating, but paying for it, and possibly being called to give depositions. Lawsuits are a time and money hole in general.

The lawsuit takes up time and money that would otherwise be going to the development.

As an attorney who practice law, I pretty much do know that.

Money? Yes. Time? Very little. The programmers certainly aren't meeting with the lawyers every month (or likely ever, other than deposition prep, if they even get that far). Written discovery hasn't even started other than Rule 26 disclosures, so there hasn't been a single deposition taken and likely won't be for months, so that doesn't explain the delay. Even the money shouldn't be an issue, considering they claimed they only needed $300,000 and got 8 times that, unless they've blown it all on God knows what.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
SightOfTheSun.jpg

oh wow

Ryuukan

Wut

That's... holy crap. So it doubles your casting power, and gives you health for doing so. I... uh...

It doesnt double it completely. There's no "exhausting" resources so you can only replenish what you've spent that turn and use another spell/effect. No early high cc/eye of creation hijinx.

It doesnt double it completely. There's no "exhausting" resources so you can only replenish what you've spent that turn and use another spell/effect. No early high cc/eye of creation hijinx.

Okay, so there's that. But still, for getting lots of low-cost cards out quickly, it's terrifying.

Oh, man. I'm thinking about what this guy'd do in a Shin'Hare deck.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Arena tho

Arena was shown and it looks pretty awesome and I can see myself going back to it. It doesn't seem unfair at all to the point of being boring and requiring specifically tailored decks (like Hearthstone's adventure) and the rewards are pretty sweet for F2P players, so I think they will find it help what they were missing in HEX. It looks mostly for people with mid size collections. Other than some of tier 3 and most of tier 4, any top level competitive deck should just plow through it. However tier 4 actually looked pretty hard. I'm gonna mess with some experimental decks first.

Link to liveblog of the event (shows all pve cards we saw):
http://fiveshards.com/frost-ring-arena-unveiling-liveblog/

TEST SERVER IS HERE:
http://board.hex.gameforge.com/boar...ortant-information/1099-test-server-download/

Test server specific info:
-Separate server, goes online privately for Cory and the official twitch.tv/hextcg streamers today.
-Public gets access tomorrow after the last stream.
-Everyone bring over their entire collections and gets an extra 20k platinum to play with. Nothing you earn on the test server comes back to the main server.
-Enemies can have AI-exclusive cards that we won't be able to get
-AI isn't completely finished yet
-Equipment WILL be in, so will many PVE cards obtainable
http://cdn1.24liveblog.com/images/2015/02/05/1423080226122549.png
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=40641 <-- Known issues list.

Short listing of non-arena stuff (chat):
1423080517449858.png
1423080351761571.png

1423080559860408.png

There's now a C.O.D. option for mail, so you can safely sell items over mail. Platinum or Gold.

Back to PVE and Arena:
If you select a card in your active deck during deckbuilding, it will show any equipment you have that can be used for those cards.
For those who are unsure how equipment works: you have 6 equipment slots on your champion and can equip one piece in each slot. That equipment effects all copies of the corresponding card in your deck.
You pick a 60 (or more) card deck before starting the arena, and are locked into it for the run.
1423081934690776.png

Battles are encountered in "tiers". If you are undefeated in a tier once, you can skip those battles from then on when you re-attempt the arena, in case you'd rather not have to do the easy battle again.
You get knocked out of a run after 3 losses, win it all, or quit voluntarily. You keep all your rewards given from winning no matter what happens. But of course the game rewards you for winning more. You must win 20 encounters to defeat the Frost Ring.
- There is a save and quit button, so you don't have to restart arena every time you log off. Can only do an hour a day? You still can try and finish the arena undefeated.
- Cheat Win/Cheat Lose is test server only obv just so you can progress past the early enemies if you want to test the bosses out right away.
-Your enemies are randomly generated from a pool of over 20 regular characters, and 6 bosses (at the end of each tier). The order is not always the same, and neither is their decks/sockets.
-There are over 50 cards that are exclusivly used by the AI in the Arena (Of course with cards like Relentless Corruption you can steal them for yourself during the game to use).
- There are around 20 cards you can actually win yourself, and around 200 equipment. Gold and chests too of course.
-Undefeated arena runs (All 20 without dropping out), earns you a unique sleeve.
Game board:
1423082189710555.png

-The arena master can adjust the "rules" to make things easier or harder. In this case, the first tier of opponents only has 15 health.
-Active equipment is shown on the left side of the screen during the battle for both champions. This is a tier 1 enemy, so no equipment.
-Some opponents have "passive" powers as well, which are shown to the left of their charges.
-Talking about mercenaries: you can choose to sub in your on-deck mercenary before a battle. This is like reserves but for PVE. But that feature won't be available during this test.
-The next encounter was Storm Cloud, but Cory is skipping straight to the tier 1 boss: Eternal Guardian.
Eternal Guardian's ability: (Spoilering it, but I'm showing some unique abilities that the enemies can do)
-Eternal Guardian's passive power creates a resource for free at the beginning of every turn and a random threshold of his lowest amount of thresholds (So by turn 5 he should always have 1 of each threshold). He doesn't play resources from his hand--no resources in his deck. And all of his troops are socketed.
-The arena master can create a random challenge once per tier. If you clear the challenge, you get a bonus towards the next boss battle. The one we got during stream was that 5 booby traps (deal 4 damage to yourself when you draw them, and they are destroyed) were put into your deck. In this case, the game doesn't tell you what the challenge did to you/your opponent and you have to figure it out yourself.
-First boss defeated. You get a chest just for beating the boss, another chest for winning the tier without losing once, and then you can randomly win a third chest.
-First tier enemies have no equipment, 2nd has 2 equipment used, 3rd has 4 and the 4th tier is fully equipped with 6. Part of the difficulty scaling, among other things.
-Cory used the dev console to win all the games in a row. This is the reward screen and his rewards.
1423086293207748.png

1423086324639508.png

-Cory shows a bunch of PVE only cards. Check out the linked site if you want to view them yourself.
-You'll know if a card is AI only if it has the PVE border + orange rarity icon in combination. Otherwise you can get it too!
-Commons, uncommons, rares and legendaries for obtainable PVE cards.
-When we went back into playing Arena again, one enemy had the ability to void and return a card they control back to the field. This was combined with cards like Royal Falconer and Royal Den Mother that created tokens when they entered play, and also cards like Buccaneer. That enemy champion then had a passive that said if a troop leaves the field, there is a 25% chance for a clone of that troop to be created. Self combos + board wipe proof!

Once again: http://board.hex.gameforge.com/boar...ortant-information/1099-test-server-download/

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Am I stuck with a starter deck if I'm not paying for plat?

Kinda don't like this dwarf deck. Had no idea it would be like this.

Nah, play some arena and you'll get quite a bit of gold for free. Then buy cards with gold off the AH. Let me know if you want any specific pieces and I'll send you some spares. (Esp Uncommons, but some rares I have spares of too)

Wow, nm, this deck is amazing after getting this cannon thing. I don't know if it's a balance issue, but being able to tap and untap by exhausting my dudes to deal 3 damage during the opponent's turn is kinda weird.

Also, it's like if you accumulate a lot of attackers, the AI hesitates to attack, so I just keep building my army for this stall deck.

Aselith

Wow, nm, this deck is amazing after getting this cannon thing. I don't know if it's a balance issue, but being able to tap and untap by exhausting my dudes to deal 3 damage during the opponent's turn is kinda weird.

Also, it's like if you accumulate a lot of attackers, the AI hesitates to attack, so I just keep building my army for this stall deck.

Nah that's what the deck is designed for. There are lots of cool win conditions like that in the game. My favorite though is the Trimuverate which takes a lot of build up but is amazing once you get it going. It basically just kills everything on the field each time you attack.

Xetherion

Nah that's what the deck is designed for. There are lots of cool win conditions like that in the game. My favorite though is the Trimuverate which takes a lot of build up but is amazing once you get it going. It basically just kills everything on the field each time you attack.

I like the Triumvirate too. Getting it out on Turn 4 is hilarious and awesome.

Qvoth

so with the release of the frostring, finally tried out this game
chose the orc for the free deck, cleared the 5 trials already
stuck between 1st boss and 2nd, got some equipments that are useless to me
do i sell them in the auction house?

Shinjica

so with the release of the frostring, finally tried out this game
chose the orc for the free deck, cleared the 5 trials already
stuck between 1st boss and 2nd, got some equipments that are useless to me
do i sell them in the auction house?

Sell them in the auction house, some equip worth a nice shot of platinium

Haven't played Hex in forever, is it just me or the card manager is completely terrible? It's incredibly laggy whenever I want to scroll, it almost like the game reload every card when you scroll... it's unusable

Top Bottom