• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton publishing book about 2016 election in Sept titled "What Happened"

Cranster

Banned
Or maybe, just a thought, nobody owes their vote to the Democrat party and it is actually their fault for running a bad campaign.

Nobody owes it, but repuplicans win elections because no matter what they vote for their party. It sucks but that is what happened at least when it comes to states like Florida.

Draper

LOL yeah blame her instead of the actual deplorable pieces of shit who voted for trump

your attitude is one of the reasons we partially deserve trump as a country

And your attitude will be the reason we get Trump for 2 fucking terms.

Seriously, all introspective thought went out the window a week after we took this loss.

ApharmdX

Banned
You're delusional.

The fact she's a woman is irrelevant. The fact people keep pushing that her gender is the reason people hate, is in itself sexist.

Stop making this about gender. She fucked up a sure thing.

THANK YOU. Christ that narrative is stale and it degrades Hillary. She is a highly intelligent and capable politician who should have known better, not some amateur or wilting flower, and she owns her mistakes.

You just gave a reason. Her campaign was "kinda shit". How many billions of dollars did she have to campaign with? There is no excuse for running a bad campaign. Woman or man.

It's a little weird to see that, because there was this other guy who ran a godawful campaign, one that was so bad it lost to Clinton, and people frequently point out how he's the most popular politician in America right now.

jfkgoblue

I think people keep twisting my point. I do GET why she is criticized, I DON'T GET why she is hated. There's actually a huge difference in my mind. Apparently for most of you it's the same thing, so I don't even understand the point of arguing... I give up...
Well it's been explained to you a half dozen times in this thread...

I think people keep twisting my point. I do GET why she is criticized, I DON'T GET why she is hated. There's actually a huge difference in my mind. Apparently for most of you it's the same thing, so I don't even understand the point of arguing... I give up...
I don't "hate" her. I am heavily criticizing her because she failed to prevent someone who I DO hate from becoming president and ruining my sons future.
It's a little weird to see that, because there was this other guy who ran a godawful campaign, one that was so bad it lost to Clinton, and people frequently point out how he's the most popular politician in America right now.
Trump is the most popular politician right now? What sane person believes that?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

kmfdmpig

Al Gore and John Kerry lost to someone who a) had held political office before and b) was son of the former president, with the entire GOP machine behind him.

Hillary Clinton lost to someone who:

• had never run for political office of any kind
  • had no public sector experience of any kind
  • was an open xenophobe and obvious sexist
  • spoke at a grade school level
  • was a billionaire tax dodger in a time when the middle class is shrinking and services are being cut

Her fuckup was worse than Gore's or Kerry's. The fact that she continues to be vilified has far more to do with the colossal scale of her failure than it does with her gender.

Exactly. The Bill Buckner comment earlier in the thread is apt. Throughout the entire cycle most thought Hillary would win easily. The election results were a shock to us. If she had seemed unlikely to win throughout the whole process then it would have been less of a shock/disappointment and there would be less blame at this point. When something goes disastrously wrong unexpectedly people tend to look for reasons why.

I don't see a ton of hate in this thread, tbh. I see people upset at her choices and disappointed that she ran a shitty campaign which contributed to Trump. People in this thread wish she were President. That's not hate.

tbm24

Too soon. I'm not against her writing this book, but we got shit we are dealing with here in America. Save this book for a few years down the line IMO.

Honestly I don't understand why people can't do both? How does reading her book at all effect how anyone deals with Trump's shit in America?

She should put out this book when she wants to, it's her right.

Veelk

Banned
Either Clinton was the most qualified person in recent history to be President or she has the inability to control her own campaign.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Clinton has an overwhelmingly fulfilling resume to do the duties of the office of president.

Running a campaign is a different skillset, as that's based not in policy, negotiating, but a popularity contest. Especially this election in particular. She doesn't have the charisma to get public adoration ala Obama, but in terms of manuevering tasks within the inner workings of government, that's where her competence lies.

RDreamer

You're making an extremely reductive argument. It's like speaking to a child. Just because I think Trump is worse, does not mean that I think Bush was anything other than an Awful president. You trying to state otherwise is just dumb.

And arguing with you is like arguing with a child because I've named a ton of things and you've just come back with "He's just worse."

How is he worse. Spell it out. Show me he's worse right now. I'm not arguing that Trump isn't bad. I'm not arguing that Trump could end up being worse. I'm arguing that on the merits of what actually happened there's a gulf of fucking difference in the bad Bush did and what Trump has done up until now and arguing against that, especially without any shred of actual evidence, is insanity.

aeolist

Banned
Al Gore and John Kerry lost to someone who a) had held political office before and b) was son of the former president, with the entire GOP machine behind him.

• spoke at a grade school level
  • was a billionaire tax dodger in a time when the middle class is shrinking and services are being cut

Her fuckup was worse than Gore's or Kerry's. The fact that she continues to be vilified has far more to do with the colossal scale of her failure than it does with her gender.

add the fact that he fought with and alienated most of the politicians in his own party constantly, hired and fired his obviously terrible campaign staff like it was a game of musical chairs, and admitted to sexual assault on tape.

Sianos

What does that have to do with what I posted?

racism and sexism clearly happen

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

this was the biggest mistake

everyone knows moderate republicans are a myth, she wasn't supposed to actually listen to the people hyping up the Moderate Darlings, they're just set dressing

Seriously, all introspective thought went out the window a week after we took this loss.

Clinton should have double downed to appeal to the left instead of courting moderates, Clinton shouldnt have alienated moderates by pointing out that maybe the literal neo nazis supporting Trump are bad, actually.

LOL yeah blame her instead of the actual deplorable pieces of shit who voted for trump

Yeah. Got ignored when I asked this earlier in the thread, but how does Clinton's bad campaign make it okay to vote for a drooling hate-goblin? And are people really claiming that a better campaign would have changed the mind of Trump voters, who have shown that facts and logic and decency and not being shit don't matter to them in the least?

The volume and intensity of apologia for Clinton and her failed campaign is vastly greater than that for any losing presidential candidate from either party anytime in the last few decades. I don't know how anyone can dispute that.

yeah me blaming actual voters and trumps hateful campaign for attracting them, more than hillary, is such a poisonous attitude /s

do you blame the firefighter for not being agile enough to catch the guy jumping off a bridge, or the guy actually jumping off the bridge?

i blame the harbinger of hate and intolerance much more than the person who failed to protect us from it

this "not good enough" bullshit from the left is why we are where we are today

I don't "hate" her. I am heavily criticizing her because she failed to prevent someone who I DO hate from becoming president and ruining my sons future.

Trump is the most popular politician right now? What sane person believes that?

Bernie, not Trump. Trump had the campaign that famously won against Clinton's.

The volume and intensity of apologia for Clinton and her failed campaign is vastly greater than that for any losing presidential candidate from either party anytime in the last few decades. I don't know how anyone can dispute that.
Oh yeah. Like that whole Russia story. That thing just won't die! LOL

Preezy

Exactly. The Bill Buckner comment earlier in the thread is apt. Throughout the entire cycle most thought Hillary would win easily.

Sweet vindication

UjrKf.jpg

KingV

You guys seriously don't realize that the things that you listed are not the reason to hate Hillary? If it's not gender than what?

(I mean there are opinion ratings that show how unpopular Hillary is and it's nowhere close to any other nominee)

I don't hate Hillary, I think she would have been a competent, if very middle of the road President. I voted for her.

I also think she made most of her own problems during the campaign, whether it was running her own email server or taking money for speeches to Wall Street. She seemed blindsided to the fact that both of those things would play poorly in the election.

I also blame her for taking positive actions to prop up Trump in the Republican primary because she thought he would be an easier opponent. Instead of joining in with never trumpers about how Trump was unfit for office, she took the more dangerous approach of party over countryy supporting a dangerous candidate because she thought it would benefit her, instead of saying "hey, it's more important that we stop the mad man than it is that I win". I would hate a President Rubio, but would vastly prefer him to Trump.

And then, after all that, she ran a campaign where she did like 2/3 as many campaign events as her opponent, ignored the advice of her husband and Obama, two great campaigners, and ran a polling operation so poor that she didn't realize she was in trouble in key states until literally like a week before the election. Key states, by the way, she hadn't stepped foot in since the primary. Reports are also that she ignored ground teams, including ground teams from her primary opponent, including in states he won. Didn't provide signs, or pamphlets, or buttons and had the brilliant idea of buying TV spots in red states two weeks before voting day.

She deserves some ire, because a lot of her loss was built in to the way she ran her own campaign.

ApharmdX

Banned
add the fact that he fought with and alienated most of the politicians in his own party constantly, hired and fired his obviously terrible campaign staff like it was a game of musical chairs, and admitted to sexual assault on tape.

Shit I forgot to list that part (that's why I put that Bush had the entire GOP behind him), but you are absolutely right. Trump had only part of the Republicans behind him, and still won.

tbm24

As terrible as all of Trump's shit is, it still doesn't compare to re-electing the dumb fuck who's admin lied to the country, got us into a war, and tanked the economy. People better hope Trump doesn't reach that level of terrible.

And arguing with you is like arguing with a child because I've named a ton of things and you've just come back with "He's just worse."

How is he worse. Spell it out. Show me he's worse right now. I'm not arguing that Trump isn't bad. I'm not arguing that Trump could end up being worse. I'm arguing that on the merits of what actually happened there's a gulf of fucking difference in the bad Bush did and what Trump has done up until now and arguing against that, especially without any shred of actual evidence, is insanity.

How about you turn on the news? If you can't comprehend why someone could find Trump worse than Bush that's on you. I've lived through both. Also if you think arguing with me is like arguing with a child then...don't do it? You're the one who addressed me initially.

EDIT: Also you're comparing 8 years of Bush to 8 months of Trump. Trump at the very least has 3.5 years left. I'm saying he's worse with the knowledge that he'll continue to go fuck up even worse in before his term is done.

watershed

Banned
The title is hilarious, like a title for a comedic book.

Reading the blurb, I'm actually looking forward to this. It seems Hillary knows her public career is over and she's taking off the gloves and speaking her mind. I hope that is the case. As she herself recognizes, she's been guarded her entire public life. I rarely ever felt like I was hearing her authentic voice when she spoke. I hope she is truly willing to speak her mind without worrying too much about public perception in this book.

It's hilariously pathetic that I still see people using the Access Hollywood tape as proof that Trump was somehow invincible. they're retroactively revising history because they can't admit that their narrative of Clinton as the perfect candidate was BS.

I don't hate Hillary, I think she would have been a competent, if very middle of the road President. I voted for her.

I also think she made most of her own problems during the campaign, whether it was running her own email server or taking money for speeches to Wall Street. She seemed blindsided to the fact that both of those things would play poorly in the election.

I also blame her for taking positive actions to prop up Trump in the Republican primary because she thought he would be an easier opponent. Instead of joining in with never trumpers about how Trump was unfit for office, she took the more dangerous approach of party over countryy supporting a dangerous candidate because she thought it would benefit her, instead of saying "hey, it's more important that we stop the mad man than it is that I win". I would hate a President Rubio, but would vastly prefer him to Trump.

And then, after all that, she ran a campaign where she did like 2/3 as many campaign events as her opponent, ignored the advice of her husband and Obama, two great campaigners, and ran a polling operation so poor that she didn't realize she was in trouble in key states until literally like a week before the election. Key states, by the way, she hadn't stepped foot in since the primary. Reports are also that she ignored ground teams, including ground teams from her primary opponent, including in states he won. Didn't provide signs, or pamphlets, or buttons and had the brilliant idea of buying TV spots in red states two weeks before voting day.

She deserves some ire, because a lot of her loss was built in to the way she ran her own campaign.

Those things are literally nothing when compared to what Trump did in the past and still won. :)

Because the people gore, kerry, mccain, and romney lost to weren't horribly inept at the job they were elected to. Trump's disgusting comments and actions make headlines everywhere. Social media has also grown a ton even in the 8 years since McCain lost (Nobody expected Romeny to win). 2008 how many people had a smart phone? 2016 how many people DON'T have a smart phone?

[*]spoke at a grade school level

Certainly, George W. Bush looks like a fantastically qualified candidate on paper today compared to Trump, but that's largely benefiting from hindsight. Back in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012 our perception of George W. Bush wasn't that of "he was a pretty good candidate, smart and polished". We still had the image of Bush as the naive, stumbling dope who could barely give proper speeches, and who won the first presidential election on a technicality.

And of the bolded, that one was at least a prevailing perception of Bush in a pre-Trump lens.

EDIT: I'll put it this way. If Hillary announces a 2020 presidential run, I'll join others in saying "please just go away". But until then I'll stop short of doing so every time she walks out her front door.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Clinton has an overwhelmingly fulfilling resume to do the duties of the office of president.

Running a campaign is a different skillset, as that's based not in policy, negotiating, but a popularity contest. Especially this election in particular. She doesn't have the charisma to get public adoration ala Obama, but in terms of manuevering tasks within the inner workings of government, that's where her competence lies.

But the idea of stating how qualified, experienced, and intelligent she is contrasts with handwaving that she had the inability to control her campaign at all. The buck stops with her for the campaign. I also blame the DNC for their fucking awful state support. The problem is that all of the major fuckups in her campaign didn't come out until after the election was over. They weren't even hindsight issues. One major important thing was constantly stressed by Bill and Obama, but they were ignored.

yeah me blaming actual voters and trumps hateful campaign for attracting them, more than hillary, is such a poisonous attitude /s

do you blame the firefighter for not being agile enough to catch the guy jumping off a bridge, or the guy actually jumping off the bridge?

i blame the harbinger of hate and intolerance much more than the person who failed to protect us from it

this "not good enough" bullshit from the left is why we are where we are today

If the firefighter's incompetence led to the guy's death and it could have been prevented, yes, I would blame the firefighter. I blame incompetent police officers when someone dies an unnecessary death as well.

But the idea of stating how qualified, experienced, and intelligent she is contrasts with handwaving that she had the inability to control her campaign at all. The buck stops with her for the campaign. I also blame the DNC for their fucking awful state support. The problem is that all of the major fuckups in her campaign didn't come out until after the election was over. They weren't even hindsight issues. One major important thing was constantly stressed by Bill and Obama, but they were ignored.
Campaigning is like marketing. Sometimes being stupid helps. That's why Trump is a good salesman no matter how dumb he is.

aeolist

Banned
Those things are literally nothing when compared to what Trump did in the past and still won. :)

i mean... the republican and democrat voting bases are obviously different groups with different priorities so i don't see what your point is

she lost because of the obama voters who either stayed home, voted third party, or switched to trump (note that the first group is far far larger than the other two). the low turnout from 2012 and 2008 can easily be attributed to her flaws and mistakes.

Oh yeah. Like that whole Russia story. That thing just won't die! LOL

It's a legitimate issue, but it is very clearly being exploited (if not just desperately seized upon) by people who want to exonerate Clinton and the Dems more generally. It's a lot easier to believe that Trump is solely the product of the malign manipulations of a foreign power than to conclude he's the symptom of a decades-long systemic failure of our political and economic system.

KingV

The title is hilarious, like a title for a comedic book.

Reading the blurb, I'm actually looking forward to this. It seems Hillary knows her public career is over and she's taking off the gloves and speaking her mind. I hope that is the case. As she herself recognizes, she's been guarded her entire public life. I rarely ever felt like I was hearing her authentic voice when she spoke. I hope she is truly willing to speak her mind without worrying too much about public perception in this book.

I think this is part of why she isn't a very good retail politician. He guardedness makes her seem shifty, even when she is not being shifty.

O this day I still don't understand why she didn't release the speeches. IMO, the fallout from not releasing was far worse and lasted far longer than fallout from whatever non controversial statements within would have.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Campaigning is like marketing. Sometimes being stupid helps. That's why Trump is a good salesman no matter how dumb he is.

They thought only tv and internet ads were necessary. The campaign and the DNC literally had no signs to give out in most of the country outside of outliers like Philadelphia. Clinton listened to her dumb campaign adviser that believed this.

Azuran

Banned
lol why would anyone want to buy a book from a loser? Anyone that loses to Donald Trump doesn't deserve my attention or money.

Go back to the woods lady.

RDreamer

How about you turn on the news? If you can't comprehend why someone could find Trump worse than Bush that's on you. I've lived through both. Also if you think arguing with me is like arguing with a child then...don't do it? You're the one who addressed me initially.

EDIT: Also you're comparing * years of Bush to * months of Trump. Trump at the very least has 3.5 years left. I'm saying he's worse with the knowledge that he'll continue to go fuck up even worse in before his term is done.

You're actually comparing years of Bush to months of Trump by saying he's worse. Jesus Christ...

You didn't say "He could end up being worse than Bush." You didn't say "His first few months are worse than Bush's." You said:

I meen tbf, Trump is far worse than Bush.

He's not. Full stop.

Top Bottom