• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton publishing book about 2016 election in Sept titled "What Happened"

jtb

Banned
At what point did I say my voting was based on NeoGaf posters?

Edit: The point was that Gaf posters calling everyone who disagreed with them Trump supporters was annoying, not that impacted votes.

And my point was to talk about those GAF posters you're talking about.

jtb

Banned
I'm not following. Can you clarify?

you
yo͞o,yə/Submit
pronoun
pronoun: you
1. used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
"are you listening?"
used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class.
"you Australians"
used in exclamations to address one or more people.
"you fools"
2. used to refer to any person in general.
"after a while, you get used to it"

This use of the word "you" was not the second person. End of.

I'm not angry at you for having the audacity to find Trump worse. I'm sick of liberals at large with the memory of goldfish now praising a lying fucking war criminal that plunged the world into chaos and killed countless people and wishing he was president instead. That's mostly what I was responding with. After that though I'm mostly annoyed you seem to keep wanting to converse without any actual conversation happening. You've still not actually said any real reason why you think Trump is worse. You seem to have conceded a bit that the comparison is stupid due to the time difference in office (which was partially what I was getting at to begin with...)

It really isn't much of a surprise to me. Do you remember when she brought Henry "War Criminal" Kissinger out during the Convention and her wing of the party practically gave him a standing ovation. Centrist's, imo, are nothing but republican's in everything but name.

Yep. 100% true

How in the fuck is it her fault if this disgusting sack of racist, orange filth is exactly what enough people in America truly want as their president ?

Don't give me this crap about how her campaign was apparently terribly run. Literally every european country would have elected her, heck, out of 45 polled countires, every single one except Russia would have elected her.

There is only so much a normal candidate can do, when an electorate is as uneducated, racist, vile, ignorant and plain terrible as the American electorate.

Who people that don't actually have the ability to vote think should be president is entirely irrelevant. Hillary literally didn't campaign in Wisconsin after she lost the primary to Bernie in April. It was a state that was critical to her path to victory. Part of the so-called "blue wall". She'd lose the state by 22k votes. She also managed to lose three other blue wall states, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Michigan Pennsylvania hadn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 88 and Wisconsin hadn't gone for one since 84. She lost those three states combined by 76k+ votes. Margins that are small enough that proper campaigning would've won her those states. Had she won those three states, she would be president. But she campaigned terribly (or not at all) in those states. She was told by people like Bill and some others around her that weren't actually on her campaign about who she should be targeting and she and her campaign ignored them. Thinking that they knew better than everyone else.

should be subtitled "Why Everyone But Me And My Campaign Is To Blame"

It's so easy to just say "She sucked, should've gone to Wisconsin, etc;" and I will fault her if she doesn't do an honest reckoning of that.

To ignore all the OTHER stuff that could've had an effect, like a prolonged fake news campaign by Russia, 3rd term fatigue, the decimation of the Democratic party during the Obama years, etc.

Remember, she lost by less than 100,000 votes. She had a big margin of error, and she squandered it, for sure.... but when it's such a close election, you have to look at everything and not just take the easy way out, point fingers and move on.

I'm not angry at you for having the audacity to find Trump worse. I'm sick of liberals at large with the memory of goldfish now praising a lying fucking war criminal that plunged the world into chaos and killed countless people and wishing he was president instead. That's mostly what I was responding with. After that though I'm mostly annoyed you seem to keep wanting to converse without any actual conversation happening. You've still not actually said any real reason why you think Trump is worse. You seem to have conceded a bit that the comparison is stupid due to the time difference in office (which was partially what I was getting at to begin with...)

Please tell me where I praised Bush at all? This is my issue with your whole argument. You framed my statement of saying Trump was worse than Bush as somehow Bush being a good president. Which is in now way shape or form what I did at all. And then when You ask me to elaborate, and I do, you then go on to frame it as if I'm praising Bush. It is a no win situation which is why I'm really not trying to engage with you. If I say he's worse you ask me why (as if there isn't a plethora of information why) and if I do you try to frame it as if I'm defending bush. It's an underhanded and childish argument.

RDreamer

Nobody except idiot ~both sidez~ centrists want George Bush as our president again.

Evidence: Jeb!'s $100 million campaign crashing and burning.

We shouldn't rehabilitate GWB's image, but the neocon wing is well and truly dead.

I wish that were true but I've seen countless "I can't believe I miss Bush," "At least GWB..." "At this point I'd rather go back to Bush" posts and talk from liberals and centrists alike. And I'm talking post election, so Jeb! failing with conservative primary voters doesn't really refute what I've seen in the media and in what people are saying.

Please tell me where I praised Bush at all? This is my issue with your whole argument. You framed my statement of saying Trump was worse than Bush as somehow Bush being a good president. Which is in now way shape or form what I did at all. And then when You ask me to elaborate, and I do, you then go on to frame it as if I'm praising Bush. It is a no win situation which is why I'm really not trying to engage with you. If I say he's worse you ask me why (as if there isn't a plethora of information why) and if I do you try to frame it as if I'm defending bush. It's an underhanded and childish argument.

No I didn't. I told you the reasons Bush was worse. You haven't elaborated anywhere.

I didn't say you were praising Bush. Jesus learn to read. I said you said Trump was worse than Bush, which you did. I asked why. You haven't really said.

DAYS AS A CANDIDATE (ON ELECTION DAY):

CLINTON: 576
TRUMP: 512

RALLIES/SPEECHES HELD (IN 2016):

CLINTON: 278+
TRUMP: 302

PLACES CAMPAIGNED:

CLINTON: 37 states plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico
TRUMP: 45 plus Washington, D.C. and Mexico and Scotland

FUNDRAISERS ATTENDED:

CLINTON: 350+
TRUMP: 50-60

MONEY RAISED:

CLINTON: $502 million
TRUMP: $258 million

from abcnews.com

I wish that were true but I've seen countless "I can't believe I miss Bush," "At least GWB..." "At this point I'd rather go back to Bush" posts and talk from liberals and centrists alike. And I'm talking post election, so Jeb! failing with conservative primary voters doesn't really refute what I've seen in the media and in what people are saying.

And please point to where I said any of that? Saying Trump is worse than Bush is not in anyway whitewashing Bush. Only someone who completely lacks critical thinking would assume otherwise.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
You don't understand one of the principles of democracy. You don't have to agree with everyone but every vote and opinion counts the same. You must allow different opinions, even if you disagree. But you have the opportunity to discuss with them and to convince them that your arguments and opinions are better.

She did discuss and co-op Bernies opinions. The only policies she didn't keep discussing was outlandish immigration policies and making coal work again because they aren't reasonable. She had plans for energy jobs though to even reach out there. People bought into the corruption narrative and didn't vote for her. People on the left and right yelled bullshit loud enough and long enough for it to become "truth"

datbapple

Banned
They'd rather blame the competent loser instead of the incompetent winner. They don't want to point the finger at Trump and examine why he won. They'd rather just be angry at Hillary Clinton. Maybe it's one of the stages of grief.

Why should I blame the other team for their victory when I dont play on their team? If I am a liberal, I support liberal candidates and I want them to win. If they do not win they have failed. I am not going to be upset at conservatives for "not getting with the times gramps :rolleyes:" and stopping themselves from being racist dickheads.

I wish al gore got the same kind of support after his loss hillary is getting, maybe he would have ran again instead of kerry!!!!

what everyone upset in this thread is thinking is not hate, but the following:
how the fuck is a campaign against donald god damn trump even close???? it should have never been close! thats on her campaign for signal boosting trump and the far rights insanity thinking they would be able to crush them easier than some plain jane like rubio or bush.

this book is gonna just rip that band-aid off for a lot of those on the left. this shit is not needed right now.

RDreamer

And please point to where I said any of that? Saying Trump is worse than Bush is not in anyway whitewashing Bush. Only someone who completely lacks critical thinking would assume otherwise.

I didn't say you said that...

Saying Trump is worse than Bush is indeed whitewashing Bush. You don't have to be praising someone to whitewash their history. You can just be underplaying what they've done, which is what saying Trump is worse does in my opinion because he just hasn't even had the time to be worse. He's done nowhere near the amount of things Bush did to the extent that Bush did.

datbapple

Banned
Everyone from Hillary to the voter who stayed home should be saying that loud and often.

Trump is what happens when the larger picture and long game isn't taken into account.

absolutely agree with this. americans just dont think past their noses when it comes to important issues.

Lubricus

The 1948 election:
Indeed, given Truman's sinking popularity and the Democratic Party's three-way split (between Truman, Henry A. Wallace, and Strom Thurmond), Dewey had seemed unstoppable. Republicans figured that all they had to do was to avoid destroying a certain election victory, and as such, Dewey did not take any risks. He spoke in platitudes, trying to transcend politics. Speech after speech was filled with empty statements of the obvious, such as the famous quote: "You know that your future is still ahead of you." An editorial in the Louisville Courier-Journal summed it up:
"No presidential candidate in the future will be so inept that four of his major speeches can be boiled down to these historic four sentences: Agriculture is important. Our rivers are full of fish. You cannot have freedom without liberty. Our future lies ahead."

Kind of sounds like this last election. I also believe the DNC contributed extensively to Clinton's loss.

BAW

Banned
As a European, I find it quite strange when people say her campaign was a failure. Her campaign convinced millions of voters to vote for her instead of Trump. That is a fact and a clear definition of a successful campaign. By any rational standard, she should be president. End of story.

The fact that the electoral system somehow allows someone with less votes to become president truly boggles my mind, yes I understand the background & how that system came to be, but it's bullshit. And the fact that no one is doing anythin to change it is also bullshit. I mean, it's obviously broken you guys, what the heck are you waiting for?!?

aeolist

Banned
They'd rather blame the competent loser instead of the incompetent winner. They don't want to point the finger at Trump and examine why he won. They'd rather just be angry at Hillary Clinton. Maybe it's one of the stages of grief.

trump won because republicans votes for republicans no matter what. literally nothing that anyone did last year could have changed that so it's really not interesting or insightful to talk about.

hillary lost because she fucked up and didn't get her voting base to turn out. the reasons for this are varied and much more consequential.

it matters going forward because winning in 2018/2020 will either require splitting republican voters from trump (which failed spectacularly last year and will probably fail again just going by polls) or getting more democratic voters to vote (which will require rectifying the mistakes of 2016).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Hillary Clinton created the religious right

Literally created them, she grew them in vats in a giant warehouse off of Lake Erie

If she wouldn't have done that, who would have voted for Trump? Thanks Hillary

No I didn't. I told you the reasons Bush was worse. You haven't elaborated anywhere.

I didn't say you were praising Bush. Jesus learn to read. I said you said Trump was worse than Bush, which you did. I asked why. You haven't really said.

This is exactly what you were doing...

I'm sick of liberals at large with the memory of goldfish now praising a lying fucking war criminal that plunged the world into chaos and killed countless people and wishing he was president instead. That's mostly what I was responding with.

If you weren't trying to frame it as me liking Bush then wth was the point of this section? And I did elaborate on why I think Trump was worse but you dismissed it as "but sure he was bipartisian" Fuck outta here.

The fact that the electoral system somehow allows someone with less votes to become president truly boggles my mind, yes I understand the background & how that system came to be, but it's bullshit. And the fact that no one is doing anythin to change it is also bullshit. I mean, it's obviously broken you guys, what the heck are you waiting for?!?

Our system is designed to prevent change and there's no political will to change it.

aeolist

Banned
As a European, I find it quite strange when people say her campaign was a failure. Her campaign convinced millions of voters to vote for her instead of Trump. That is a fact and a clear definition of a successful campaign. By any rational standard, she should be president. End of story.

if our electoral system were different then the campaigns would have been run differently and people would vote differently. lots of right-wing voters in red states don't come out to vote because their votes matter less, same for left-wing voters in blue states.

if we didn't have the electoral college you couldn't assume the same results from last year, literally everything would have changed. trump still might have won.

The people in charge now are there because of the electoral system. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

jtb

Banned
Okay. You're trolling. Got it.

I see you still haven't addressed whether you should be taking your voting cues from how a video game forum makes you ~feel~. And I'm the one trolling? Come on, you can do better than that.

Why should I blame the other team for their victory when I dont play on their team? If I am a liberal, I support liberal candidates and I want them to win. If they do not win they have failed. I am not going to be upset at conservatives for "not getting with the times gramps :rolleyes:" and stopping themselves from being racist dickheads.

I wish al gore got the same kind of support after his loss hillary is getting, maybe he would have ran again instead of kerry!!!!

what everyone upset in this thread is thinking is not hate, but the following:
how the fuck is a campaign against donald god damn trump even close???? it should have never been close! thats on her campaign for signal boosting trump and the far rights insanity thinking they would be able to crush them easier than some plain jane like rubio or bush.

this book is gonna just rip that band-aid off for a lot of those on the left. this shit is not needed right now.

Well, you should or we're going to have this problem all over again in 2020.

Isn't the underlying premise of this post that 'there can't possibly be 50% of America that's racist?' Well, clearly there is, so we should at least acknowledge that.

Audioboxer

The timing of this seems quite poor less than a year on, therefore, I can understand why it riles people up and comes across as opportunistic to raise money when people are still hurting and are desperate for "answers". In terms of self-fulfilling business moves, it's great timing, to cash in on said hurt and have masses of people rush to buy it for the "answers" they crave. Easily expect it to be a number 1 best seller.

As an outsider to American politics the Democrats really need to sort their shit out quite quickly and one has got to hope this book doesn't just contribute to yet again months of bickering, in-fighting and arguing... *looks at topic*... whatyearisit.jpg?

RDreamer

This is exactly what you were doing...

Oh my god. My anger was using your post as a branching off point toward liberals that want to white wash and some who praise him in comparison. Posts like yours do contribute to that nonsense.

That said, comparing him to Trump right now IS praising him. It IS whitewashing him. It doesn't mean I think you think he was a good president. It means I think you don't really understand the utter mess that guy put us through if you think Trump as of right now is worse.

If you weren't trying to frame it as me liking Bush then wth was the point of this section? And I did elaborate on why I think Trump was worse but you dismissed it as "but sure he was bipartisian" Fuck outta here.

Where's the elaboration? You literally did just say he was bipartisan. That's all I saw unless I missed something. Show me.

Eidan

I wish some of you had an inkling of this sort of rage reserved for those relatives of yours that voted for Trump.

DAYS AS A CANDIDATE (ON ELECTION DAY):

CLINTON: 576
TRUMP: 512

RALLIES/SPEECHES HELD (IN 2016):

CLINTON: 278+
TRUMP: 302

PLACES CAMPAIGNED:

CLINTON: 37 states plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico
TRUMP: 45 plus Washington, D.C. and Mexico and Scotland

FUNDRAISERS ATTENDED:

CLINTON: 350+
TRUMP: 50-60