• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton publishing book about 2016 election in Sept titled "What Happened"

You're actually comparing years of Bush to months of Trump by saying he's worse. Jesus Christ...

You didn't say "He could end up being worse than Bush." You didn't say "His first few months are worse than Bush's." You said:

He's not. Full stop.

Good for you. I disagree.

aeolist

Banned
O this day I still don't understand why she didn't release the speeches.

because in those speeches she said things to millionaire bankers like "politicians need to have public and private policies" and people already believed she was untrustworthy?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes she has. Did you know she was the first candidate to ever say "I'm sorry" in a presidential election concession speech? She literally apologized to all of her supporters for not winning the election.

What does that have to do with the post I quoted?

Yes she has. Did you know she was the first candidate to ever say "I'm sorry" in a presidential election concession speech? She literally apologized to all of her supporters for not winning the election.

She has literally said the words "I'm sorry" and "I take responsibility," yes.

She also explicitly said that she doesn't believe she lost because of any decision she or her campaign made, which renders those words completely meaningless, because she doesn't believe she has anything to take responsibility for.

Phu

Banned
Yeah. Got ignored when I asked this earlier in the thread, but how does Clinton's bad campaign make it okay to vote for a drooling hate-goblin? And are people really claiming that a better campaign would have changed the mind of Trump voters, who have shown that facts and logic and decency and not being shit don't matter to them in the least?

Talking like that makes it seem like there wasn't millions of people who didn't vote.

Dude Abides

Banned
They thought only tv and internet ads were necessary. The campaign and the DNC literally had no signs to give out in most of the country outside of outliers like Philadelphia. Clinton listened to her dumb campaign adviser that believed this.

Lawn sings? Really? The Obama campaign also thought lawn signs were useless.

She also explicitly said that she doesn't believe she lost because of any decision she or her campaign made, which renders those words completely meaningless, because she doesn't believe she has anything to take responsibility for.

First of all you are reading into meaning of every single word she pronounced, but more importantly why do you give a shit? If that makes her better sleep at night, good for her!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lawn sings? Really? The Obama campaign also thought lawn signs were useless.

It seems you don't understand herd mentality. Lawn signs and bumper stickers, while the latter being an annoying eye sore, are important parts of campaigns.

Edit: You are also ignoring that the Obama campaign made up for it by a massive ground game effort to register voters and go door to door campaigning.

Liha

Banned
Yeah. Got ignored when I asked this earlier in the thread, but how does Clinton's bad campaign make it okay to vote for a drooling hate-goblin? And are people really claiming that a better campaign would have changed the mind of Trump voters, who have shown that facts and logic and decency and not being shit don't matter to them in the least?

You don't understand one of the principles of democracy. You don't have to agree with everyone but every vote and opinion counts the same. You must allow different opinions, even if you disagree. But you have the opportunity to discuss with them and to convince them that your arguments and opinions are better.

Dude Abides

Banned
It seems you don't understand herd mentality. Lawn signs and bumper stickers, while the latter being an annoying eye sore, are important parts of campaigns.

It seems you don't know how campaigns work. Lawn signs are an incentive to get supporters to sign up to volunteer so they can get a sign. That's it. They aren't actually useful to persuade people to vote for a candidate.

Edit: You are also ignoring that the Obama campaign made up for it by a massive ground game effort to register voters and go door to door campaigning.

Actually I was one of those people doing that in the Obama campaign so I'm not ignoring anything. Hillary had a ground game, but it was not effective in the states that flipped Trump, either because of her inherent flaws or because it wasn't deployed in the right areas. Those are actually good criticisms, not nonsense about fucking yard signs.

Veelk

Banned
But the idea of stating how qualified, experienced, and intelligent she is contrasts with handwaving that she had the inability to control her campaign at all. The buck stops with her for the campaign. I also blame the DNC for their fucking awful state support. The problem is that all of the major fuckups in her campaign didn't come out until after the election was over. They weren't even hindsight issues. One major important thing was constantly stressed by Bill and Obama, but they were ignored.

It really doesn't because, as I just said, the 'most qualified' aspect refers to her abilities in working as an elected official, not as a campaigner. Those are different things. And in any case "Most qualified" doesn't mean that you are immune to making even stupid mistakes.

Personally, I think that a lot of her laxness came from the fact that she was up against Trump. My guess is that her thought process was akin to "Man, I don't even need to try, because seriously, who would vote for this idiot?" And if you had told me that she did this during the election, I would have thought similarly, especially when poll numbers showed she was up despite not campaigning there.

Clearly, that ended up being wrong, but you can see how one might come to the conclusion that campaigning in the rust belt truly didn't matter. That's why all this is a shock. No one expected that America would be this goddamn stupid.

But now that we know it is, we're supposed to act as though Clinton should have known they were?

Again, it's not that I don't think she fucked up, because she did. But she didn't fuck up enough to justify Trump winning. So that responsibility lies with the American people. They fucked up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly I don't understand why people can't do both? How does reading her book at all effect how anyone deals with Trump's shit in America?

She should put out this book when she wants to, it's her right.

Sure. She can put this out whenever she wants.

It fans the flames regardless of where you fall though. Just look at this thread. Is that really want we need right now?

LOL yeah blame her instead of the actual deplorable pieces of shit who voted for trump

your attitude is one of the reasons we partially deserve trump as a country

Yep. 100% true

How in the fuck is it her fault if this disgusting sack of racist, orange filth is exactly what enough people in America truly want as their president ?
Don't give me this crap about how her campaign was apparently terribly run. Literally every european country would have elected her, heck, out of 45 polled countires, every single one except Russia would have elected her.

There is only so much a normal candidate can do, when an electorate is as uneducated, racist, vile, ignorant and plain terrible as the US-electorate.

ApharmdX

Banned
The book aptly ends with "Should've been Bernie".

giphy.gif

"What Happened: If You Go To My Website.."

Man this is really great, I remember posters in GAF antagonizing people 99.9% on their side when they asked what are her policies, accusing them of being Trump supporters and then sending them to her website in a condescending way.

5Y44zlL.gif

One of the main post-election criticisms of the Hillary Clinton campaign has been that she didn’t do enough campaigning. Donald Trump certainly did more traveling than Clinton: He made 106 campaign stops (rallies, fundraisers and in-person media appearances) from Sept. 1 through Nov. 8 — Clinton made only 71 (including her day-after-the-election concession speech in New York), according to data I collected from the Conservative Daily News and HillarySpeeches.com. 1 You can see how their campaign schedules compared in the maps above.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I know i am late but should be titled 'WTF happened' or 'Why didnt you vote for me you fucking idiots?!!'

watershed

Banned

Here's what she has said on this topic:
“Did we make mistakes? Of course we did. Did I make mistakes? Oh, my gosh yes,” Clinton told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour at a “Women for Women International” event in New York, “but the reason why I believe we lost were the intervening events in the last 10 days.”

“It wasn’t a perfect campaign, there is no such thing,” Clinton said,“but I was on the way to winning until the combination of Jim Comey’s letter on October 28, and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me, but got scared off.” She added that she believes misogyny was also a factor in her defeat.

When pressed as to whether her campaign could have been run better, Clinton said that she takes “absolute personal responsibility” as the candidate. “I was the person who was on the ballot, and I am very aware of, you know, the challenges, the problems, you know, the shortfalls that we had,” she said.

Sounds to me like she has taken responsibility for not only her own personal flaws as a politician but also the mistakes she and her campaign made. Her basic argument is that while she ran a flawed campaign, they were on track to win the election until the Comey Letter and well timed wikileaks stuff tipped the election. There is data to support this idea. It doesn't absolve her campaign, she was clearly a deeply flawed candidate.

tbm24

Sure. She can put this out whenever she wants.

It fans the flames regardless of where you fall though. Just look at this thread. Is that really want we need right now?

This thread isn't at all surprising if you wander into any thread regarding democrats in any capacity. It's not going to change. Quite frankly nothing in any of these threads are reasons not to vote so it shouldn't make a difference. Unless you're fine with what Trump is doing that is.

Shauni

The chapters on not leaving major cities, wasting time in lost cause states (like Arizona) and calling a huge percentage of voters deplorable should make good reading. I wonder if she'll take any responsibility at all for those major blunders.

She has in some post-interview but not as much as she should to be honest. I mean, as this thread is showing, it'll never be enough for some, but she should own up to it. But there are other legitimate factors that lead to her defeat that deserves their fair share of blame.

jtb

Banned
You're actually comparing years of Bush to months of Trump by saying he's worse. Jesus Christ...

You didn't say "He could end up being worse than Bush." You didn't say "His first few months are worse than Bush's." You said:

He's not. Full stop.

Well, if you say so, it must be indisputable fact!

I hope it's not that. I am cautiously optimistic on the book, though I'm expecting the usual excuses.

What do you think "What Happened" implies? Think of instances of when you have uttered those words or heard someone else say them. Whether consciously or not the book title seems to say events happened that were out of her control or something similar and she wasn't responsible for what happened.

RDreamer

Well, if you say so, it must be indisputable fact!

Well, I'm the only one in that conversation that has said things that Bush has done that I find to be worse:

I like that you're trying to narrow it down comically to just one criteria and that criteria is lives lost. Sure, I suppose I might actually care more about the amount of lives lost, especially since that count is absolutely fucking massive, but that's just me... The guy told a mess of lies and completely and utterly fucked a massive section of the world for decades and decades to come based on those lies. The middle east will not be the same for a long while because of Bush. He ignored warnings about Osama bin Laden. He created Guantanamo Bay. The economy utterly fucking crashed on Bush's watch. His administration utterly botched Hurricane Katrina. The NSA powers came from Bush. He ramped up the war on drugs.

He did all that and so much more. But sure, I guess he was "bi-partisan" sometimes.

Here's his examples of why Trump is worse:

jtb

Banned
Pssst.
This still happens.

If you're making political decisions based on how insecure a video game forum (filled with its fair share of anime nazis) makes you feel, you're already losing.

Well, I'm the only one in that conversation that has said things that Bush has done that I find to be worse:

I mean, Trump is trying to kick millions of poor people off insurance, has the most openly hateful and racist cabinet in decades, and is destroying our democracy. Not a one to one comparison or anything, but he's gotta be in the running at least.

Lol I love your obsession with me having the audacity of finding Trump worse than Bush, and how angry it makes you from my tangential comment. As if that's anything to be remotely upset about. My description of you as a child is quite apt.

watershed

Banned
Why does NeoGaf blame Hillary Clinton for not becoming President, again?

They'd rather blame the competent loser instead of the incompetent winner. They don't want to point the finger at Trump and examine why he won. They'd rather just be angry at Hillary Clinton. Maybe it's one of the stages of grief.

Theonik

Gee, I can't imagine why someone using "Democrat Party" would want to encourage the narrative that people should vote for people other than Dems even w a man like Trump on the ballot.
See, everyone knows how shit FPTP is but at the same time, 'least worst option' doesn't sell people on a ballot.

Nobody owes it, but repuplicans win elections because no matter what they vote for their party. It sucks but that is what happened at least when it comes to states like Florida.
Eh, that's an issue you have to contend with. Get people to want to vote for you next time.

Theonik's not american and that's not what he did.
Stop ruining my fun!

RDreamer

Lol I love your obsession with me having the audacity of finding Trump worse than Bush, and how angry it makes you from my tangential comment. As if that's anything to be remotely upset about. My description of you as a child is quite apt.

I'm not angry at you for having the audacity to find Trump worse. I'm sick of liberals at large with the memory of goldfish now praising a lying fucking war criminal that plunged the world into chaos and killed countless people and wishing he was president instead. That's mostly what I was responding with. After that though I'm mostly annoyed you seem to keep wanting to converse without any actual conversation happening. You've still not actually said any real reason why you think Trump is worse. You seem to have conceded a bit that the comparison is stupid due to the time difference in office (which was partially what I was getting at to begin with...)

jtb

Banned
What? Did you mean to quote a different post?

No. It's a follow-up to your post, which is a follow-up to the post you quoted.

I'm not angry at you for having the audacity to find Trump worse. I'm sick of liberals at large with the memory of goldfish now praising a lying fucking war criminal that plunged the world into chaos and killed countless people and wishing he was president instead. That's mostly what I was responding with. After that though I'm mostly annoyed you seem to keep wanting to converse without any actual conversation happening. You've still not actually said any real reason why you think Trump is worse. You seem to have conceded a bit that the comparison is stupid due to the time difference in office (which was partially what I was getting at to begin with...)

Nobody except idiot ~both sidez~ centrists want George Bush as our president again.

Evidence: Jeb!'s $100 million campaign crashing and burning.

We shouldn't rehabilitate GWB's image, but the neocon wing is well and truly dead.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
No. It's a follow-up to your post, which is a follow-up to the post you quoted.

At what point did I say my voting was based on NeoGaf posters?

Edit: The point was that Gaf posters calling everyone who disagreed with them Trump supporters was annoying, not that impacted votes.

Here's what she has said on this topic:

Sounds to me like she has taken responsibility for not only her own personal flaws as a politician but also the mistakes she and her campaign made. Her basic argument is that while she ran a flawed campaign, they were on track to win the election until the Comey Letter and well timed wikileaks stuff tipped the election. There is data to support this idea. It doesn't absolve her campaign, she was clearly a deeply flawed candidate.

If the book actually acknowledges specific mistakes and that they contributed to her defeat, I'll eat crow and give her some modicum of credit. Until then, I'm going to assume that "I take responsibility for every decision I made, but that's not why I lost" is what she genuinely believes, because it's in line with everything else she's said since the election.

Top Bottom