• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

One Piece is set in a world where people have some resemblance of modern tech and clothing. Some pirates are literary just wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. How you gonna make that not look goofy?

Gnome

On the list of things that I'd never be able to predict happening, this is certainly on it. What the helllllllllll??
The fuck?

If anything One Piece is one of the few properties that can take total racial liberties with the characters. Anything goes, there is no "Asia" in One Piece.
I thought there totally was a Japan island. That one Ryuuma dude that Zoro fought on Thriller Bark was from there. He was also the main character of Oda's one shot iirc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well if nothing else if this somehow succeeds it raises my tiny hopes for a Western Berserk series. Ahh who am I kidding, I'll just get another horrible anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
LOL WHAT THE FUCK????

Goda, how could you let this happen?

"Mr. Oda, we'll give you 30 billion yen if you sign off One Piece for a live-action TV show"
"Yeah yeah sure, can't talk doing manga"

I thought there totally was a Japan island. That one Ryuuma dude that Zoro fought on Thriller Bark was from there. He was also the main character of Oda's one shot iirc.

You mean Wano? We don't know what that's like.
We do know background info, but not the actual island.

PixelatedBookake

Chopper would be terrifying. Franky would be terrifying. Brook would be terrifying. Even Luffy's powers would be terrifying. Damn near half the cast are expensive CGI mutant people. They can't do this without a huge ass budget.

I thought there totally was a Japan island. The one with that Ryuuma dude that Zoro fought on Thriller Bark. He was also the main character of Oda's one shot iirc.

There's an upcoming arc that will be 100% steeped in a classic Japanese aesthetic, but we haven't gotten there yet.

(With no black people)

61.png

I mean his name is BLACKbeard, right?

/s

TissueBox

On the list of things that I'd never be able to predict happening, this is certainly on it. What the helllllllllll??
The fuck?

If anything One Piece is one of the few properties that can take total racial liberties with the characters. Anything goes, there is no "Asia" in One Piece.

In one of the SBS's Oda gave some half-serious pointers regarding the main crew's nationalities... I took it as word for the most part since then. :p

D: Nice to meet you, Oda-sensei. I have a question. If One Piece was set in the real world, which countries would the nine Straw Hats come from? Pen Name: MICHAEL JACKSONS' BROTHER

O: Well. I'll just put what fits with the character's image.

Luffy: Brazil
Zoro: Japan
Nami: Sweden
Usopp: Africa
Sanji: France
Chopper: Canada
Robin: Russia
Franky: USA
Brook: Austria

GhostBed

One Piece is the most damn cartoony thing ever. There's no way they can properly represent the series without a massive budget, and even then it wouldn't feel the same.

I'll watch it, tho.

duckroll

"Live action TV show in the West" might be jumping the gun here. While it's certainly possible, there's nothing in the announcement that says this is an English series, or a western produced one. It says there will be a live action TV series made overseas. Aside from the west and Japan, there are also TV industries in other parts of Asia like China, Taiwan, and South Korea.

ReiGun

There's shounen manga I think could absolutely be translated to a live action TV series for a western audience.

One Piece isn't one of them, and I say that as someone who isn't a fan of the series. It's too massive, too cartoonish (not saying that as a negative), and doing the Devil Fruit powers and other abilities any justice would require so much money. To say nothing of the locales.

Something like Yu Yu Hakusho or FMA would likely work better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
1. How the hell do they plan to do this
2. You're never getting live action HxH, no network would air Hisoka.

"So the premise is a 12 year old boy becoming a hunter to find his father. A hunter goes through a rigorous exam that tests mind and body"
"Interesting"
"His friends include a 12 year old assassin with a heart of gold that eventually learns to not be so brutal, a young man with glowing red-eyes on a revenge quest, and a medical student becoming a hunter to make money"
"I'm liking this"
"The villain is a clown that lusts after our hero"
"OUT!"
"No no no he lusts after his power not actually him!"
"OUT OUT OUT!"

Top Bottom