• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight vs Axiom Verge

What do, GAF-a-roo?

I will buy one of these. Both seem to scratch a Metroidvania itch which I have on my back side. Both have great praise and comments about them. I haven't played either. If you've played one, make a case for it. If you've played both, which did you prefer and why?

nynt9

I've played both, I think Axiom Verge is fantastic. Here's what I had to say on it in my top 100 favorite games thread:

Back to the main list! We're getting close now, with the top 30.

30: Axiom Verge

I almost said "this game was a great surprise", but it really wasn't. It looked excellent from day 1 of its reveal. The true successor to Super Metroid. It really delivered on every aspect of that. There have been many attempts to recreate Super Metroid over the years. Most of those attempts weren't even close. Of the ones that were, almost none of them were close in every way, and none of them really went beyond. Axiom Verge does all that, and it was all made by one dude as well. This is just incredible. The art style is retro in a great way while incorporating modern elements, the music is fantastic (one of very few video game OSTs I bought), and the controls are just right.

The real make-or-break factor of a Metroidvania is its world though. Is it fun to explore? Does it subtly direct you? Is it varied? Does it have a particular atmosphere? Is it memorable? Is it interesting enough to play through but not tediously difficult? Are there meaningful diversions that you clearly need more abilities to access? Are those diversions at places that you can remember and go back to? Will you even want to? With Axiom Verge, the answer to all of these questions is yes. I am very defensive of the Metroid franchise. I don't think Nintendo have done good on the franchise, and I don't think anyone else can. Except for Tom Happ. I think that if he were tapped to handle a new Metroid game, he would nail it. He gets it. And this is very high praise coming from me.

Hollow Knight is great too, but Axiom Verge feels more polished IMO, and more of a retrofuturistic take whereas Hollow Knight tries to be its own thing, and sometimes it works well and other times it doesn't.

Chauzu

Not played either yet, looking forward to seeing both on Switch! Should hold me until Metroid Prime 4 and Bloodstained.

AEREC

Havent played either but they both sound good. If given the choice Id go with Hollow Knight based on the comments int he forum.

Im currently waiting for both to come out on the Switch.

I haven't played Hollow Knight, I'm super hyped for the console release though. Axiom Verge left something to be desired. It tried too hard to be just like Metroid, but had none of the subtlety that makes Metroid great. Guacamelee is a much better example of the genre while still maintaining an identity of it's own.

DrArchon

Do you want Metroid, or a Metroidvania? Do you prefer long range guns or a stubby sword?

That's basically what it boils down to. That being said, I've only touched Axiom Verge but Hollow Knight is one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. I'd put it above SOTN if I'm being honest.

Haven't played Hollow Knight but thought Axiom Verge was mediocre. Poor combat, back tracking that's a slog unlike the best in its genre, and a more messy effort the longer the game goes on. It tries to ape the best without understanding what made those special.

Haven't played Hollow Knight but thought Axiom Verge was mediocre. Poor combat, back tracking that's a slog unlike the best in its genre, and a more messy effort the longer the game goes on. It tries to app the best without understanding what made those special.

Exactly. The last two areas especially were very poor. The other areas were good at times but nowhere near the level design of good 2D Metroid. I did love the glitch mechanic though and there was a lot of cool music too.

ExServ

Neo Member
Axiom Verge is closer to old metroid games, thus not really " metroidvania", Hollow Knight is my game of the year hands down. Fantastic soundtrack, gameplay, level design, story telling... one of the best (if not the best) metroidvania ever made.

ps : first post on gaf, hi there.

I'm way too early into hollow knight to judge it properly but my preemptive impression is that if Axiom Verge is more metroid then hollow knight is more vania.

Since I can say more for Axiom Verge, I dig that its power ups are quite subversive, I expected straight samus style powers only for the game to keep swerving my expectations.

The obvious answer will be to play both, but if you want to scratch that itch, Axiom Verge is literally a Metroid game. You can feel the creators love for the series, and it would satisfy any fan of 2D Metroid.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You won't go wrong either way, but one is more Metroid and the other is more Vania. Both are inscrutable at times, but I think AV is a little more straightforward whereas HK has a lot of stuff you could easily miss without a guide, like a Souls game. That's not to say AV doesn't also have lots of secrets; it just felt like it required less internet FAQ reference to me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
-1 vote for Axiom Verge.

I bought it on GAF Hype and it wasn't for me. I don't super love Super Metroid but do love more Metroidvania. I heard alot of good things about the music, but none of the OST impressed me. It felt like an average game to me.

maxcriden

I really like the look of Hollow Knight, so I'm eager to try it. Have you already played Ori, BTW? That's one of my favorite games in recent memory (and ever).

Axiom Verge is closer to old metroid games, thus not really " metroidvania", Hollow Knight is my game of the year hands down. Fantastic soundtrack, gameplay, level design, story telling... one of the best (if not the best) metroidvania ever made.

ps : first post on gaf, hi there.

Welcome!

sanstesy

If you have a clear preference between Metroid and Metroidvania games then choose either Axiom for Metroid or Hollow Knight for Metroidvania.

But compared to its predecessors I would say Hollow Knight is the better Metroidvania than Axiom is to Metroid games. It's also the way more unique experience but you can probably tell that already just by looking at it.

gelf

I've only played Hollow Knight thus far but Axiom Verge would have to pretty damn good to beat it as I really think HK is the best game I've ever played in the genre.

Hollow Knight is my new favourite Metroidvania. I didn't think anything would ever beat Super Metroid for me at this point, but here we are.

They're both great games though. Something about Hollow Knights music, combat and overal atmosphere just does more for me.

Bonus question: Where do you rank Cave Story with these two games?

Hollow Knight
Super Metroid

Cave Story

Axiom Verge

Klotera

As someone who has only played Axiom Verge but is very interested in playing Hollow Knight, it is interesting to see people who have played both differentiate between Metroid and Metroidvania style. I love both styles, just something I hadn't thought about.

My two cents as someone who has played only Axiom Verge: it is a Metroid-style game that is way better than any actual Metroid (and I do love the Metroid games). Absolutely fantastic and one of my favorite games.

Kadin

I was recently asking myself the same thing OP and the only conclusion I could come to was to buy both. In the odd chance that one isn't very appealing in the first couple hours, I'll just refund it. But I can't honestly see that happening...

Anno

Hollow Knight is a legit 2017 GOTY candidate and one of the best of its genre ever. Axiom Verge is well liked as well though so I don't think you can go wrong.

Comandr

I only played Hollow Knight but it never really clicked for me. I felt like I spent a gargantuan amount of time wandering around with no clear idea where to go. The game is punishingly difficult, far more so than your average Metroidvania game. If you're a highly skilled gamer or have a very high skill ceiling, you might really enjoy it. It could be compared to a Souls game in its enemy challenge I think. I think I got about 60% of the way through if I had to guess based on my items and upgrades, but I flat out just didn't know where to go so I gave up.

I could be wrong, and this is just my opinion, but the whole map felt very open. Unlike most Metroidvanias where your progress forward is clearly blocked by an item or power you don't have yet. It felt like there were ways around more often than not in HK.

+1 for Hollow Knight

Level design, soundtrack, characters, lore, soundtrack, sense of freedom, artwork, emphasis on exploration... did I mention the soundtrack?

Axiom Verge is a great game, no doubt, but Hollow Knight is an incredible experience and possibly a Metroidvania that surpasses SOTN and Super Metroid themselves. It's that good.

SETUnxu.gif

I want to seriously gush about it - even with the accolades it's gotten, it's seriously going to blow up once it's released on Switch.

I could be wrong, and this is just my opinion, but the whole map felt very open. Unlike most Metroidvanias where your progress forward is clearly blocked by an item or power you don't have yet. It felt like there were ways around more often than not in HK.

It's both really. Hollow Knight has some fairly obvious go to goals and can be completed within a day or two if thats all you're going after but it also has A LOT of optional side content.

Some of the most memorable and fun boss battles I've come across in any game ever are completely optional.

I feel like anyone who has even a slight interest in the genre should give it a try at least.

Stevey

I couldn't put Axiom Verge down until I'd finished it.
Got bored of Hollow Knight in a couple of hours.

Instro

Axiom Verge is a love letter the original Metroid, with a few design standards picked up in later Metroids, with exceptional music and art direction. I have not played Hollow Knight yet so I can't comment.

Thanks GAF. Went with Hollow Knight. The differentiation between Metroid and Vania did it for me. I'm in the mood for a SotN Vania game more than a straight up Metroid Game. Axiom Verge will remain on my wishlist though!!!

mindatlarge

I'm probably biased but there's not many recent games of its kind that I'd recommend over Axiom Verge. You should definitely check it out at some point. Still gotta check out Hollow Knight myself.

low-G

Hollow Knight is hollow. Really I struggle to find the point, or the thing in the game that's supposed to make it good. It's extremely well made, but no hook for me.

Axiom Verge is the best 2D Metroid in ages. It's funny that we finally have a surplus of good 2D Metroids though. I love it so much I bought it twice.

Giving the edge to Hollow Knight. Lots of respect for Axiom Verge essentially being a one-man show (dev-wise) but ultimately found it too unfocused. Many of the guns overlap one another in their ideal niche, which exasperated the underwhelming reward loop with regards to encouraging exploration, the platforming felt rather rudimentary and some of the enemy / boss patterns were on the wonky side. Plenty to like (such as its sense of style) although very uneven as an overall experience.

Hollow Knight on the other hand is probably my 2017 favourite, in a year with exceptionally stiff competition. I'll just quote myself instead of regurgitating my thoughts:

Kept an eye on this one ever since its reveal, but I was taken aback over just how good this one turned out. More than the majority of other of its modern-day peers in the genre, Hollow Knight nails the essence of what makes a Metroidvania stand out. Recent-ish games like Ori & The Blind Forest, Guacamelee, Outland or Momodora are far removed from being bad games and even excel in different areas Hollow Knight does not primarily focus on, but to me they've always resembled pseudo-action platformers rather than iterating on a genre that innately instils wanderlust, given their heavily guided nature and subsequently removing a gratifying sense of exploration.

Hollow Knight, much like Breath of the Wild shortly before it released, understood the importance of leaving players to their own devices. You're dropped into a massive, interconnected and densely packed world to explore by your own choosing - one finely crafted to potentially allow for wildly differing routes between multiple players - and it does not hold your hand in the process. By the developer's own admission, Hallownest is a playground where 60% of its content is entirely optional and this in a game where the map system deliberately leaves out information you'd otherwise find in a Metroidvania, like pinpointing your current location... or even initially showing the next portion of the map. What could easily be perceived as a genuine flaw works here, because the lack thereof is substituted by ample landmarks on the map itself as well as sufficient in-game signposting (sometimes literally) as you're gallivanting about. It is not an adventure devoid of guidance, especially if you want a nudge in the right direction to continue treading the main path, but you either have to specifically seek these other means out via the correct NPC's or through other optional methods (which require a minor balancing act) without it being forced down your throat. It's a withdrawn trek if the player wants it to be and Hollow Knight's kingdom of Hallownest is very much built to respectfully keep this sort of immersive, borderline isolated experience in mind.

banner_pics_0003_3.jpg

banner_pics_0002_4.jpg

What made traversing through Hallownest such a joy for me, is how rewarding it is to meander off to the wayside. Hollow Knight does not fall for common trappings that are almost ubiquitous (to a fault) to the genre by now; unlike even the classics such as Super Metroid, side-collectibles do not largely consist out of generic health / magic / ammo upgrades for starters. In fact, those are surprisingly kept to a minimum! Instead you meet new charismatic faces who could prove valuable, new objectives or events that adequately encourage revisits, new tools which could help create a specialized build due to a Materia-lite sort of system, sighting one of the 130+ enemy types tied to a contextually appropriate bestiary and more. Benches, known as the de facto save points, are also relatively scarce without feeling too rare in number. Significant shortcuts are fairly prominent as well; fast travel stations need to be earned and there exist a healthy number of wrap-arounds that tightly weave together large chunks of the overarching layout so that areas don't feel disposable in the long run. Most of these elements, but especially the latter two, are a stark contrast to how most of the aforementioned modern-day Metroidvanias handled their mechanical or structural vision. It's quite frankly refreshing!

To top it all off: the setting just feels wholly cohesive. The presentation is already top notch in between the outstanding soundtrack + audio design, the cutesy yet somber hand-drawn aesthetic, the slick interface and a puzzle-like narrative that isn't excessively opaque, but what really drives this point home is Hollow Knight's attention to detail. Oft negligible yet frequently employed for the sake of believability or visible culture, these touches (be it on your character or elsewhere) demonstrate the craftsmanship put into this game down to even miniscule elements you wouldn't think twice about anymore by today's standards. I mean, shit; trivial as it may be, there's even a plausible explanation as to why money drops automatically gravitate towards you should you have the corresponding perk equipped:

geobugs_smalltvkf9.gif

Given the meager crowdfunded budget the bite-sized development team asked for, their debut title is nothing short of a legitimately impressive accomplishment.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I din't play Hollow Knight but imo Axiom Verge isn't as good as Gaf says, not a bad game, just overrated.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Haven't played Hollow Knight but thought Axiom Verge was mediocre. Poor combat, back tracking that's a slog unlike the best in its genre, and a more messy effort the longer the game goes on. It tries to ape the best without understanding what made those special.

This was my experience with Axiom Verge. Was super excited by the clear Metroid influence, but fizzled a bit over halfway through.

I appreciated how its tools and abilities were rather unique for the formula, but it did really feel tedious to play. The world wasn't quite so interesting to wander through or discover. The narrative draw/central mystery didn't hook me in either. It had moments, but I found the praise overblown.

Top Bottom