• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful was the N64 compared to the PlayStation anyway?

Shion

PS1
N9Dh0.jpg
Af5vt.jpg
zVZ4Q.png

NXg8L.png
ykNDs.jpg
xJJGm.jpg

xjIIP.jpg
ZhiDT.jpg
VrUxh.jpg

uM6n5.jpg
zHFAY.jpg
epeyJ.jpg

MURmb.jpg
6FLKZ.jpg
YIRzn.jpg

N64

Note that it has been several years since I've played either, and back then I did prefer RR64, as I remember my younger self having a lot more fun with it than RR4.
Shitty collision detection alone almost ruins the game. Type 4 was clearly better imo, both graphically and gameplay-wise.

Boerseun

Banned
Perhaps we should all just move on from the Ridge Racer comparisons and admit that ideally no Ridge Racer game should be used as a yardstick for anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What, so you missed when I said earlier in the thread that I think the original Saturn version of Daytona is a better game (gameplay-wise, in my personal opinion only) than anything in the whole Ridge Racer franchise? That is to say, I don't like the franchise in general all that much, so isn't it easy to understand that I don't exactly love R4? The Ridge Racer franchise isn't, and never was, that great. I have no idea why people actually liked the first PS1 Ridge Racer over Saturn Daytona... Daytona's a far better game. The graphics aren't THAT bad, either, I think it's quite acceptably playable.
To be fair, as much as I love the look of R4, I don't actually think it plays all that well.

That said, I think Ridge Racer V remains the pinnacle of the series and is infinitely better than any racing game from the previous generation and one of the best racers ever made.

Daytona on the Saturn is pretty awful, though, and the visuals are mostly to blame. You must not be sensitive to framerate issues (based on your defense of N64 games and Daytona on the Saturn). Later Saturn racers were much better. Stuff like Sega Rally runs circles around Daytona.

jett

D-Member
To be fair, as much as I love the look of R4, I don't actually think it plays all that well.

That said, I think Ridge Racer V remains the pinnacle of the series and is infinitely better than any racing game from the previous generation and one of the best racers ever made.

Daytona on the Saturn is pretty awful, though, and the visuals are mostly to blame. You must not be sensitive to framerate issues (based on your defense of N64 games and Daytona on the Saturn). Later Saturn racers were much better. Stuff like Sega Rally runs circles around Daytona.

Yes! RRV is an amazing arcade racer, my favorite, period. I'm quite sad my PS2 doesn't read my disc anymore.

RR64 has better music, I think.

Of all the things you've said in this thread, this is the worst.

Oddly enough, despite the poor frame rate and terrible pop up, the original Daytona USA on the Saturn was my preferred version of the game for many years. I could never get into CCE for some reason, and Daytona USA 2001 on the Dreamcast had so much potential, but suffered from twitchy controls. The control sensitivity could be adjusted though in the Dreamcast game, but it was hard to get it just right. Though the XBLA port is pretty well perfect, but it lacks the extra modes found in the Saturn version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I preferred the prerendered backgrounds featured in lots of PS1 RPGs over the majority of fully-3D N64 games. They also hold up a lot better to this day. Both systems 3D games looked horrible though - on one side you had grainy, warpy but detailed textures... and the other you had blurry, muddy textures and lots of fog. Dreamcast was such a savior in terms of my enjoyment of fully polygonal games, though for the 32bit generation I mostly was into 2D or prerendered games.

jett

D-Member
I felt compelled to make some R4 gifs, cuz goddamnit this game is too pretty and I'll be damned if I let some crazy say RR64 looks better.

r4night6zelc.gif

r4night2ixc42.gif

Aesthetically very few racers hang with R4, period.

I felt compelled to make some R4 gifs, cuz goddamnit this game is too pretty and I'll be damned if I let some crazy say RR64 looks better.

r4night6zelc.gif

r4night2ixc42.gif

absolutely crazy talk. bonkers. a fucking madhous.

I can understand that some people prefer n64 graphics to psone. But prefering rr64 graphics to rr4 is beyond bizarr.

One is one of the best use of art and technology ever. and the other is fucking half assed shit port/collection of rr1.

Its like they are from two different generations.

DonMigs85

I'll be honest, Ridge Racer Type 4 doesn't really look dramatically better than Rage Racer. It's roughly on par or even slightly inferior to Gran Turismo 2.
Also Ridge Racer 64 really isn't that bad looking at all, at least for some of the tracks. The City track you unlock late in the game looks pretty good. I also liked the song "Manual Override" but R4 definitely had the better soundtrack.

I'll be honest, Ridge Racer Type 4 doesn't really look dramatically better than Rage Racer. It's roughly on par or even slightly inferior to Gran Turismo 2.
Also Ridge Racer 64 really isn't that bad looking at all, at least for some of the tracks. The City track you unlock late in the game looks pretty good. I also liked the song "Manual Override" but R4 definitely had the better soundtrack.

rr4 looks dramatically better than rr.

its one of the biggest leaps ever in one generation.

Jumpman23

N64 had much better visuals imo. Add in the memory upgrade and games like Perfect Dark looked amazing for the time.

Best looking games to me: Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, Conker, Diddy Kong Racing, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2/3.

It should also be mentioned that loading times SUUUUUUCKED on PS1. N64 trumped this with near instant load times for almost every game.

jett

D-Member

It is a dramatic difference to me. The lighting is completely flat for the tracks and the cars in Rage Racer, in contrast the use of gourad shading for the cars and colored lighting for the tracks in R4 is superb, as is the more subdued color palette and more stylish aesthetics.

DonMigs85

It is a dramatic difference to me. The lighting is completely flat for the tracks and the cars in Rage Racer, in contrast the use of gourad shading for the cars and colored lighting for the tracks in R4 is superb, as is the more subdued color palette and more stylish aesthetics.

I may have to go back to Rage Racer again, it's been a while. But it looked great to my 13 year old eyes.

dark10x

Yes! RRV is an amazing arcade racer, my favorite, period. I'm quite sad my PS2 doesn't read my disc anymore.

Holy shit, how did I miss that.

RR64 has better music than R4?

It's like Falcon is intentionally trying to say things just to rile people up. That's one of the looniest opinions I've ever heard. RR64 sounds like shit next to most racers but to compare it to R4 is just insanity. Pure insanity.

I appreciate his posts and the effort behind them but it's clear that our opinion are so different that I couldn't possibly take any of his advice.

edit - I had to click on this thread again to make sure I didn't dream that comment. It's that bizarre.

Dizzy

Banned
Can not believe some people consider PS1 to have better looking games than N64 :-/ sure N64 could be blocky at times, foggy, and blurry, but PS1 games had this gritty look to them, the textures bent and were all wavy, many charcaterrs in the games had freaky flat faces....example metal gear
6877-468x-Metal%20Gear%20Solid%20-%20Snake%20and%20Meryl.JPG

Some games like Resident Evil and Fear Effect pulled off some good tricks but the N64 games just looked so much more "solid".

Vorg

Banned
Seriously, some parts of RR64 look horribly stale and devoid of life compared even to the first RR game on the psx, which was a launch game in 1995. RR64 came out in 2000, for reference.

Just look at this for example. Same track:

Tain

lol, the worst MGS picture now posted twice

We need some high quality photos up in here. Real SDTV ones, with scanlines and good old fashioned tube TV natural anti-aliasing. Can't wait until MESS does PSX perfectly so I can emulate PS1 games with that amazing HLSL filter.

jett

D-Member
Seriously, some parts of RR64 look horribly stale and devoid of life compared even to the first RR game on the psx, which was a launch game in 1995. RR64 came out in 2000, for reference.

Just look at this for example. Same track:

RR64 is just hideous, and has got to be the worst playing RR game since the original too, no matter which drift type you choose.

this thread is awesome and making me feel very nostalgic. i wish that i still had my n64 and all of my games. i'm ashamed to admit that i never owned a ps1. i had a saturn and a n64. truthfully, a lot of the popular ps1 titles felt clunky to me and/or the texture warping was bothersome. those two issues diminished my interest in the system greatly. however, looking back, i wish i had experienced it along with the masses and looked back on it as fondly as so many gamers seem to.

shandy706

The reflective floors and lighting in Perfect Dark blew my mind.

I played the crap out of my Playstation, but I don't remember ever once thinking that it had "better graphics" than my N64.

Especially when it came to RARE's games.

Branduil

Rogue Squadron was amazing at the time, especially in hi-res mode. It did have tons of fog, though. And a low framerate, but that almost goes without saying for N64 games.

Anybody know which N64 game this is:

7GAG0.jpg
What is the middle game in the last row of N64 games there? Looks like great lighting.
I know it's been said, but yes, that is San Francisco Rush 2049, and it's my favorite racing game ever. Outstanding graphics for the N64, too. It's such an amazing game...

Saturn Daytona's framerate is good enough. It's not an issue in the game. The draw distance isn't too bad either; there is popup of course, but you can see far enough to see what you need. THe game is extremely light on content of course, which is an issue (only three tracks; though remember, the first PS1 Ridge Racer had only about 1 1/3 tracks...), but the tracks are very well designed, and most importantly the controls are fantastic. Saturn Daytona USA played with the Mission Stick or Arcade Racer really is outstanding; it's the best controls I've seen in a home version of Daytona for sure. The CCE and CE versions are good, but don't control quite as well, and the Dreamcast version's so, so twitchy...

It's really too bad about the DC version particularly, because it has very nice graphics, and lots of exclusive content (eight total tracks, three DC-exclusive and two only also in the CCE and CE editions!), but those controls are so frustrating that it's just not much fun to play. I also find the game too hard, even compared to the past versions -- I've never had any success at getting anywhere in the championship mode. Now, I'm not great at Daytona, but I know I'm better at the Saturn game than the DC one thanks to the better controls. The one thing I haven't tried is a DC wheel, which definitely might make a difference, but wouldn't be cheap. I would like to try it sometime, though.

Oddly enough, despite the poor frame rate and terrible pop up, the original Daytona USA on the Saturn was my preferred version of the game for many years. I could never get into CCE for some reason, and Daytona USA 2001 on the Dreamcast had so much potential, but suffered from twitchy controls. The control sensitivity could be adjusted though in the Dreamcast game, but it was hard to get it just right. Though the XBLA port is pretty well perfect, but it lacks the extra modes found in the Saturn version.
Yeah, agreed entirely on the Saturn and DC versions. I haven't played the XBLA port, but it is disappointing that even if it has good controls, it doesn't include any of the 5 tracks added in the CCE and Dreamcast releases...

R4's music is, sort of like the graphics, somewhat (slower for music/duller-colored for graphics) and understated compared to RR64. I prefer the latter style.

http://www.abload.de/img/r4night6zelc.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/r4night2ixc42.gif

Yeah, these gifs show exactly what I'm talking about off well. That's supposed to be great looking? Technically nice (but not the best) for the system, sure, but visually it's so bland... oh well, we'll obviously never agree.

RR64 is just hideous, and has got to be the worst playing RR game since the original too, no matter which drift type you choose.
How much of your hatred for the game is because of the actual game, and how much is because it's on the N64? (And yes, I dislike the Playstation, but I don't dislike all the games on it or something, there are many good PS1 games.)

Perhaps we should all just move on from the Ridge Racer comparisons and admit that ideally no Ridge Racer game should be used as a yardstick for anything.
That would be great, and I agree, they shouldn't be.

Vorg

Banned
Daytona USA on the saturn has the worst draw distance issues in any console racing game I know, to be honest. Unless you're counting the early stuff on 16 bit consoles like Virtua Racing. Also, pretty low framerate.

dark10x

Saturn Daytona's framerate is good enough. It's not an issue in the game. The draw distance isn't too bad either; there is popup of course, but you can see far enough to see what you need. THe game is extremely light on content of course, which is an issue (only three tracks; though remember, the first PS1 Ridge Racer had only about 1 1/3 tracks...), but the tracks are very well designed, and most importantly the controls are fantastic. Saturn Daytona USA played with the Mission Stick or Arcade Racer really is outstanding; it's the best controls I've seen in a home version of Daytona for sure. The CCE and CE versions are good, but don't control quite as well, and the Dreamcast version's so, so twitchy...
Me thinks you have a very high tolerance for bad framerates. Saturn Daytona is NOT acceptable to me. It runs at a very low framerate which murders the experience.

R4's music is, sort of like the graphics, somewhat (slower for music/duller-colored for graphics) and understated compared to RR64. I prefer the latter style.
R4 has music that I could listen to outside of the game. It's very good stuff with a chilled, laid back sound that still provides energy. It's genuinely good music.

RR64 just sounds generic and uninteresting in comparison.

I'm curious, though, what sort of music (non-game related) do you listen to? Perhaps that might explain things.

Yeah, these gifs show exactly what I'm talking about off well. That's supposed to be great looking? Technically nice (but not the best) for the system, sure, but visually it's so bland... oh well, we'll obviously never agree.
Do they? For PSX, I think it looks nice. It perfectly conveys the atmosphere of cruising at night with the windows down and great music playing. They captured the light time lighting as best as you could hope for the platform. It has a very stylish, cohesive look that's a bit subdued.

RR64 just looks, well, generic. There's no attempt at shadows or lighting. It's just a bunch of garish colors and blurry textures. I just find the art direction to be completely appalling. It's trying for color but it completely misses the boat and just looks ugly.

How much of your hatred for the game is because of the actual game, and how much is because it's on the N64? (And yes, I dislike the Playstation, but I don't dislike all the games on it or something, there are many good PS1 games.)
For me, it's the actual game. As a collector of many old consoles I'm beyond that "console war" mentality. I don't think the N64 has a particularly good library, but there are some games I really quite like. I didn't enjoy RR64 back in the day and I certainly don't enjoy it now. The handling is off, the course design bland, the music and art direction ugly, and it just feels soulless overall.

That would be great, and I agree, they shouldn't be.
Like I said above, Ridge Racer V is one of the finest arcade racers ever made. It's every bit as good as the best Sega arcade racers.

Only in recent years has Ridge Racer fallen from glory.

jbueno

We need some high quality photos up in here. Real SDTV ones, with scanlines and good old fashioned tube TV natural anti-aliasing. Can't wait until MESS does PSX perfectly so I can emulate PS1 games with that amazing HLSL filter.

Not 3D and not the best camera, but how about some good old 2D shmup? Here´s Raiden 1 on The Raiden Project running through S-Video on my Wega CRT SDTV. Looks lovely in person. As much as I loved Ogre Batle 64, I don´t think any 2D title on N64 quite compares to the plenty of beautiful 2D titles on PS1.

Shion

Daytona USA on the saturn has the worst draw distance issues in any console racing game I know, to be honest. Unless you're counting the early stuff on 16 bit consoles like Virtua Racing. Also, pretty low framerate.

I think Sega Touring Car Championship for Saturn is worse despite being released later!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
N64 bigest fail in history after psVita

Eh, both the N64 and the Vita are blunders, but I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as Sega's unholy trifecta of 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast, as those nearly killed the company. Not to mention shitfests like the Atari Jaguar, the Virtual Boy, the 3DO and the Apple Pippin.

Me thinks you have a very high tolerance for bad framerates. Saturn Daytona is NOT acceptable to me. It runs at a very low framerate which murders the experience.
20-something is perfectly playable. I have a framerate tolerance too -- most notably, I find the 15-and-under framerates of Super FX games like Stunt Race FX or Star Fox thoroughly unplayable -- but N64 framerates are okay. There are only a few N64 games which I actually think have framerates which are too low to be acceptably playable, but they're just high-res modes in games which are fine in normal res; most notably, I play Excitebike 64 in normal res, not high, because of the distractingly lower framerate and the letterboxed-only visuals (I much prefer fullscreen). But framerates like most other N64 games have, or Daytona? They're fine.

R4 has music that I could listen to outside of the game. It's very good stuff with a chilled, laid back sound that still provides energy. It's genuinely good music.

RR64 just sounds generic and uninteresting in comparison.

I'm curious, though, what sort of music (non-game related) do you listen to? Perhaps that might explain things.
Videogame soundtracks, mostly, but also techno/electronic music and classical. I dislike most other kinds of music, including anything rock, rap, jazz, etc.

I actually agree that R4 has a solid atmospheric-electronic soundtrack, and I like it, but I like RR64's even better. The N64 one has a great videogame-techno soundtrack. I love that stuff.

Do they? For PSX, I think it looks nice. It perfectly conveys the atmosphere of cruising at night with the windows down and great music playing. They captured the light time lighting as best as you could hope for the platform. It has a very stylish, cohesive look that's a bit subdued.

RR64 just looks, well, generic. There's no attempt at shadows or lighting. It's just a bunch of garish colors and blurry textures. I just find the art direction to be completely appalling. It's trying for color but it completely misses the boat and just looks ugly.
Huh? RR64 has plenty of visual style and flair. The motion blur's pretty cool looking, for one thing. And I like its use of color.

For me, it's the actual game. As a collector of many old consoles I'm beyond that "console war" mentality. I don't think the N64 has a particularly good library, but there are some games I really quite like. I didn't enjoy RR64 back in the day and I certainly don't enjoy it now. The handling is off, the course design bland, the music and art direction ugly, and it just feels soulless overall.
I've talked about all those other things before, but the course design, bland? But most of the tracks come straight out of the PS1 games, and the new ones are as good as the old. I guess you dislike the first two PS1 games' tracks too then. I did say that RR64 probably isn't pushing as many polygons in its environments as some other N64 racing games, with how the tracks are narrow and railed and generally not as large as, say, Rush courses are, but even if it's lacking scale, it makes up for it with style and a high quality visual presentation.

Like I said above, Ridge Racer V is one of the finest arcade racers ever made. It's every bit as good as the best Sega arcade racers.

Only in recent years has Ridge Racer fallen from glory.
I don't think it was ever all that great in the first place. As for RRV I've only played it a little, but I can't imagine agreeing with you on that one.

You haven't played enough racing games, then. Saturn Daytona has a better draw distance than plenty of titles.

Top Bottom