• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rank the FF games including FFVIIR?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For me:

1. FFX
2. FFIV
3. FFVIIR
4. FFVII
5. FFVI
6. FFIX
7. FFXV
8. FFXIII
9. FFXII
10. FFVIII
11. FFV
12. FFIII
13. FFI
14. FFII

FFIX used to be my top but after playing it, it felt a bit too kiddy for me so it went down. Don’t get me wrong though but I find the FFs I ranked from 1-9 are awesome to me.

Last edited:

yunkaiza

Of the ones I've played...

1. FFX
2. FF7
3. FF7R
4. FFIX
5. FFIII
6. FFIV
7. FFVIII
8. FFXIII
9. FFXII

But I think the top 2 are interchangeable

YukiOnna

1. FFXIV
2. FFVI
3. FFVIIR/FFVII
4. FFV
5. FFX
6. FFVIII
7. FFIX
8. FFXI
9. FFXIII-2
10. FFXII

Top 3 are pretty close to each other.

Vawn

Banned
I wonder how many "rank the FF games" threads we've had since NeoGAF started.

1A - FFXI has to be separate for me. It consumed my life, but I can't think of it as a mainline Final Fantasy game. Though I do see FFXIV that way.

1. 6
2. 7
3. 4
4. 7 Remake
5. 14
6. 12
7. 9
8. 5
9. 13
10. 1
11. 3
12. 10
13. 8
14. 2
15. 15

Gargus

Banned
This will be simple.

1, 2, 3 really great.

7 and 7 remake pretty good.

All the rest, varying degrees of mediocrity to shit.

xion4360

I guess ill take the time to put together a real list for myself...Im not including Dissidia, and I havent played any older than 7, 12 or the MMOs...im including the number of completed playthroughs and platforms played because that feels relevant.

1) FFVIII - at least 5 on PS1, PSP, PS4. the first FF I ever played, changed my perspective of gaming as a whole. also has the best music and world in the series IMO.

2) FFXV - at least 4+DLC on PS4 Pro, Xbox One X. put too much time (and money) into it to not love it, also was my most anticipated game of all time. I love the blend of a somewhat modern world with fantasy elements.

3) FFVIIR -at least 1 on PS4 Pro. its great. Im hoping they intend to patch the game to improve quality in the slum areas because its noticeably a step down from everything else. Combat is the best.

4) FFX - at least 3 on PS2, PS3. felt revolutionary at the time. looking back I think this is the most incredible looking one from an artistic perspective.

5) FFIX - at least 2 on PS1. put off playing it because it looked so unlike 7 and 8, but loved it when I did. probably has the best story. Its very well rounded and good in all aspects, I just prefer a more modern look.

6) FFXIII - at least 3 on PS3, Xbox One X. didnt love the futuristic look of much of it because its too sci-fi... but the visuals, music and battle system is some of my favorite.

7) FFX-2 - at least 3 on PS2, PS3. it was weird even hearing about a "2" to a final fantasy "10" but I really enjoyed going back to spira and the game had a unique feel anyway. battle system was so good.

8) FFVII - at least 1 on PS1, PS4. if I played this before 8, im sure I would feel how many others feel about it, but the fact is I played 8 first...playing 7 felt like going backwards. No matter how good it was I always just felt that way.

9) FFXIII-2 - at least 3 on PS3, Xbox One X. Its a really good game, and in many ways is what people wanted out of 13. Crazy ending. I feel like this game did more than people give it credit for.

10) CCFFVII - at least 1 on PSP. I bought a PSP for this and Dissidia.. did not like the battle system but loved the story and cutscenes.

11) FFTYPE-0 HD - at least 1 on PS4. I really hope they either to a sequel to this, or 16 takes a similar approach...but this game felt violent in a way you dont see in most FF's.

12) LRFFXIII - at least 2 on PS3, Xbox One X. its the lowest budget feeling game I ever played in the series, but I am a 13 fan, and the ending battle is epic and crazy in a very classic FF way...classic to me being 7-9.

Final Fantasy XII? I will play it when it comes out on game pass...probably.

Last edited:
My ranking is based on specific versions of the games:

1. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Multi, 2017)
2. Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster (Multi, 2015 - 2019)
3. Final Fantasy V (Super Famicom, 1992)
4. Final Fantasy VI (Super Famicom, 1994)
5. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation, 1997)
6. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered (Multi, 2019)
7. Final Fantasy IV (Super Famicom, 1991)
8. Final Fantasy (Game Boy Advance, 2004)
9. Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS, 2006)
10. Final Fantasy II (Game Boy Advance, 2004)

I have yet to play Final Fantasy VII Remake, but my feelings say it will take the place of the original after I've played it.

Fbh

Haven't played every game in the franchise and I haven't finished VII Remake (though I assume the rest of the game will retain the same quality):

Great tier:
1: FFIX
2: FFVII
3: FFVI
4: FFVIIR
5: FFX
6: FFIV

Decent tier:
7: FFVIII
8: FFXII

Mediocre tier:
9: FFXV
10: FFXIII/XIII-2

Armorian

Banned
I started on PS2 so limited list:

1. FFX
2. FFXII: IZJS (you can include HD versions)
3. FFX-2
4. FFXV
5. FFXIII

After the demo I think Remake has chance to be around 3 or 4 position ^

Shifty1897

Leaving the MMO's out...
Worth playing:
1. 6
2. 9
3. 12
4. 4
5. 7R
6. 5
7. 10
8. 15
-------------------
Not worth playing:
9. 7
10. 3
11. 1
12. 13
13. 8
14. 2

Tiamat2san

1. FFVI
Love the story, the music, perfect game for me.

2. FFVII
Because FFVII

3. FF IV
Cecil ....

4. FF VII R
Might climb higher if the second game is also great.

5. FF X
Still don’t like some mini games but the story and the progression system grew on me over time.

6. FF XII
Didn’t liked the original Japanese game but loved the remaster.

7. FF XV royal edition
Flawed but loved the world and the link between the Bro’
Music was fantastic.

8. FF IX

9. FF V

10. FF XIII
For the battle system and graphics.

11. FF VIII
Sorry but I don’t want to steal GF and magic and soooo cheesy.

12. FF, FFII and III
It’s the base but aged poorly.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
FF VI
FF IX
FF X
FF VII R
FF IV
FF VII
FF VIII
FF XI
FF V
FFXIII
FFXV

and last...

FF XII

Last edited:

mango drank

I've played most of them, but of the ones I've actually beaten...
  1. FF 8: my favorite FF. Love the world, the music, and the improvements they made on top of 7. The story makes no sense, but eh. I just love spending time in that world.
  2. FF 9: oozes charm, great visual style, great example of a late-gen super-optimized game.
  3. FF 10: world, atmosphere, and music. Tidus is a dummy. But aesthetically and technologically, it was a breath of fresh air.
  4. FF 7: first FF I played, and I was blown away at the time. Still charming to this day, and it's fun to revisit, but in a lot of ways it hasn't aged well.
  5. FF 12: I like 12 more than most people. I think the battle system's fine, I like the music, and the world's not bad. But in general it felt like more of a grind than the rest, what with it being based on MMOs.
  6. FF 7R: a mixed bag. Looked and sounded great, but it was too grueling, too padded out, and as a result felt like a chore to play through. A lot of the subtlety of the original has been paved over by over-the-top shit flying at you.
  7. FF 6: played through it after 7, and while I liked it, I never felt the need to revisit it for whatever reason, unlike the FFs afterwards.
  8. FF 13: really cool atmosphere, but in a lot of ways, feels like the direct precedent of FF7R. Hope you like linearity. Still, I'm getting the itch to replay it, since it's been 10 years holy shit

1. FF7 - was there any doubt?
2. FF7R - could actually get to #1 after we get the complete saga.
3. CT - because this is more FF to me then the rest of the series.
4. FF7CC - just another episode of the greatest saga of all time.
5. FF7AC - a sequel to the greatest FF of all time!
6. Xenogears - what could've been FF7 but still better than any other FF.
7. Legend of Dragoon - even a clone of FF7 is better than the rest of FF.
8. Bravely series - Is this final fantasy? Sure looks, plays, sounds better than most FF.
9. FFT - because even a spinoff is better than most FF.
10. FF1 - My first FF game and I wont deny the only reason it's so high is nostalgia.
11. FFIV - My second FF, it was known as FFII in the US, nostalgia, story and characters made this stand above the rest for its time.
12. FF9 - I hate the Disney aesthetic of this game, but I cant deny the music and ending totally made up for it, best ending of the series.
13. FFX - Graphics and music were good, characters, story and the myriad of other issues not so much. The fact this is segmented by a sequel also makes it incomplete as a standalone, so that drops it as well.
14. FF8 - very average game in every aspect. For the time it had really top of the line graphics that sold it, but nowadays it doesn't even have that going for it.
15. FFXV - Like FFX and FF8, graphics is all it has. The open world aspect is its strongest point but also its greatest downfall, and the fact we don't even have all the dlc to complete the story, this game will forever be incomplete to my dismay.
16. FF12 - nothing much to say here, didn't really like or hate the game, just kinda swept it under the rug.
17. FF2/FF3/FF5/FFMQ - grouped these together because they basically fall in my don't give a fuck category.
18. FFXI/FF14 - never played, never will.
19. FF13 trilogy - pretty much hated everything, hated that I wasted my time playing this garbage.
20. FF6 - overrated trash, fight me!

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
CLASSIC
FFV (The BEST FF)
FFIX (The Second BEST FF)
FFVI (Cool steampunk spinoff V is better tho)
FFVII/FFR (Cool cyberpunk spinoff V is better tho)

DECENT
FFX (Sin is bad)
FFIV (Get a fucking job!)
FF13 (Unfairly hated on)
FF11

AVERAGE
FF1
FF2
FF3
FF15
FF14

ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT
FF12 (Read up on the development of this 'game' its an abortion)
FF8 (everything bad about FF wrapped up in a nonsensical bow *cue cutscene*)

Last edited:

Rickenbacker

Neo Member
I haven't played a lot of them and finished even less but it would go as:

1. FF 7R
2. FF IV
3. FF XIV
4. FF VI
5. FF XIII-2 (this is my benchmark for modern FF's, maybe why i liked 7R so much)
6. FF Type-0

Played XV and XIII but i'm not even including those in the list because they're so bad.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

I've actually been playing a bunch of different FF games this past month, so this is a very timely topic for me. Out of the numbered ones I've played:

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
3. Final Fantasy VII Remake (needed more meat around the bones, other than that, superb)
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Final Fantasy IV (first FF I ever beat, timeless classic)
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. Final Fantasy VIII (heavily carried by the OST and world design)
8. Final Fantasy (GBA)
9. Final Fantasy XV ( I actually kinda liked it, not as bad as some people claim)
10. Final Fantasy XIII (holy shit this game was boring)

FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII are in my backlog, so I'll have an opinion on them sooner or later. Will never ever touch anything 13 related again.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

1. Final Fantasy VIII (my first FF)
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VII remake
4. Final Fantasy XIV ARR > Shadowbringer
5. Final Fantasy IX
. didn't finish or not played (FF1-FF7, FF12)
Dull (FF13)
.Trash (FFXV)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
FFVIII
FFVII Remake (Rank may change when all parts released, current rank is based on where I think it'll end up)
FFVII
FFX
FFIX
FFXV
FFXIII

I do own FFI-VI
But they're too dated for my tastes to return to them and play.
From what I have played
FFVI and FFV are my favourites

Last edited:
6th overall. On any given day I might bump it to 5th but it’s still just one part of a game that will stretch over at least 3 installments so it goes no higher than that.

IX, VII, X, VI, IV, VIIR.

Manji Uzuki

For me, of the ones that I completed:
  1. FFVII First JRPG I ever beat and one of my favourite games of all times. I replayed it this year and it still stands as a great game.
  2. FFVI Great game with a cool story and some very interesting twists. The music in this one is also amazing
  3. FFVII Remake I truly loved it. Has the best characters interactions on the series, insane OST and very good combat.
  4. FFXII Probably not a popular opinion but I really like XII. Ivalice is one of the best settings, good combat system and crazy amount of good side content.
  5. FFIX Very beautiful game but I personally had some problems with the combat system. probably doesn't help that the PAL version was atrociously slow.
  6. FFX This game was great when it released and I would have probably ranked much higher some years ago, but I think it aged poorly in many ways. Still has good things and a unique setting.
  7. FFVIII Interesting world but the story never really clicked for me. Some combat mechanics are poorly designed.
  8. FFXV Could have been great but development hell can be seen all over the place. The story is not bad but it's really badly explained. The combat is meh
  9. FFXIII Got combat system which is really hurt by the game restricting it during too long. The story is a complete mess and most of characters are very annoying

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
1. VI
2. IX
3. VIII
4. XII
5. X
6. XIV
7. VII / VIIR

Not choosing mainline. 1. Would be no.2 and my No.1 would be Tactics

1. FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call
2. FF Crisis Core
3. Final Fantasy 12
4. the rest

Ranking based on how many times I've beaten the game / sunk hours into. Most FF games I've tried grew boring within 10 hours and I gave up on them before beating it. There are some I want to revisit and give another chance to.

This will be simple.

1, 2, 3 really great.

7 and 7 remake pretty good.

All the rest, varying degrees of mediocrity to shit.

By 2 and 3 do you mean the US numbered ones (4 and 6), or the actual 2 and 3? Because if the actual, then you're nuts on account of 5 blowing both 3 and 1 out the water.

Kev Kev

7R

those are the only ones i've finished

worth noting that's been at least a decade since i've played through 8, 9 or 10, so if i went back and played them again, after having played 7R, then my order may change. specifically, 7R may get bumped up a spot or three (but it an't going above 7-OG or 6, lol, not a chance in hell)

it's also worth noting that 7R, although a complete game in and of itself, still has at least a couple parts left before i can make a final judgement on the whole package. but thats a long time away so...

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't played them all...but

#1. Final Fantasy XI - 11 (MMO)
#2. Final Fantasy VIII - 8
#3. Final Fantasy VII - 7
#4. Final Fantasy IX - 9
#5. Final Fantasy X - 10
#6. Final Fantasy XIV - 14 (MMO)
#7. Final Fantasy XV - 15
#8. Final Fantasy XII - 12
#9. Final Fantasy XIII - 13

I haven't played the Remake but my guess is that it would not top the chart. Figuring it would probably land between FF 8 and FF 7.

Shrap

I'll rank them in tiers

Excellent:
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX

Great:
V
X

Good:
I/II (PS1 Origins)
III (DS remake)
VIIR

Abomination:
XIII

I never got far enough in XII to really rank it and I haven't touched the online games nor XV.

From what I played (ignoring 15, 14 and 11)

FFX
FFIX
FFV
FFVI
FFIV
FFXIII
FFVII
FFII
FF
FFIII (remake)
FFXII
FFVIII

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
FF VII
FF IX
FF XIV
FF VI
FF IV
FF V
FF X

FF I, II, III can't remember much. XIII and XV are shit.

kunonabi

I could have sworn I just did this but anyway:

Tier 1:
1. FFVI
2, FFX-2
3, FFIV

Tier 2:
4, FFX
5. FFIX
6. FFV

Tier 3:
7. FF
8. FFIII
9. FFII

Tier 4:
10.FFVII
11. FFXII
12. FFVIII
13. FFXV
14. FFXIII

Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, and Crystal Bearers would all rank highly if I were including them here.

Ellery

I am in love with the Playstation 1 Final Fantasy games.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite followed by VII and IX. Then comes X, VI and VII Remake. Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns is underrated and I would say that the base XIII game doesn't deserve the hate, but it is not a great Final Fantasy (or any great game to be perfectly honest). Judging XII is a lot harder and to be honest I never gave the game a fair chance. The same goes for XV but I was instantly turned off by that game. Everything about it felt wrong and I couldn't bring myself to it. My Top 3 are set with 8,7 and 9, but other than that there is some wiggle room. I would need to play all games first and also replay a few I have already played to make a better list.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is pretty good, but the surrounding circumstances (given that it is a Remake of an older game and comes in episodes we need to wait years for while one of these entries costs as much as a full priced AAA game) makes it hard to evaluate it fairly. I love it and I think it is a great game and a good Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom