• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New official favorite Final Fantasy characters ranking from FFRK 2nd Anniversary

Best Final Fantasy character?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fbh

I'll never understand why people like Terra more than Celes. And I like Terra.

I'll never understand why people like Terra more than every other character in FFVII.

She is easily one of the most boring cast members in that game. At least Locke ranked higher.

Azuran

Banned
Instead of just making snide comments, could you maybe explain what makes her so popular from your perspective?

A strong and stern female protagonist with a sweet and caring side, has a badass looking weapon only rivaled by the gunblade itself, and does cool stuff like flying all over the air while killing stuff and pretty much becoming a bonafide deity.

Camwi

A strong and stern female protagonist with a sweet and caring side, has a badass looking weapon only rivaled by the gunblade itself, and does cool stuff like flying all over the air while killing stuff and pretty much becoming a bonafide deity.

Thank you for the response.

Personally, I found her to be extremely boring in FF13, and she was barely in FF13-2. Does the sweet and caring stuff come in Lightning Returns (haven't played that yet) or do I just not remember it in FF13?

Don't like lightning but Locke, vivi, kain, ramza & rydia made rank so it's all good. Offended Setzer wasn't the number 1 ranking. He's a gambling badass.

Jennipeg

It doesn't work for me because its like they went through a checklist of what they thought a 'badass' female character should be, then mixed it up and produced Lightning. I can see her cool traits and the interesting elements of her design, but what's her personality? Why is she the way she is? I can't remember any development of her character at all. At least they justify Cloud and Squall's issues with their backstories. They then develop considerably throughout their games. Lightning feels like a card board cutout in comparison.

J_Ark

1a5a0c.jpg

OrionX

I hope all the Lightning hate doesn't prevent SE from making another female mc. (Gimme my Agni game! :p) Then again, if SE only looks at polls like this they must think she's super popular lol. For what it's worth, I like Lightning. Wouldn't put her at number 2, but I'm a sucker for tough, ass-kicking female characters.

I can see her cool traits and the interesting elements of her design, but what's her personality? Why is she the way she is? I can't remember any development of her character at all.

Lightning's backstory is there... if you squint a bit. Seemed like her parents died when she and Serah were young, which forced her to grow up and mature at a young age as she wanted to be strong for Serah. She locked away the more vulnerable sides to herself, which made her more jaded and cynical. It's a pretty simplistic backstory, and I can see why her grumpy attitude would rub some people the wrong way, but I think there's a story somewhere in there.

What's the appeal of Cloud? Is it his sword?

But considering this site is full of gaming hipsters, I'm not surprised most people here don't see what makes Lightning so popular.
I think a ton of people see why she's popular but don't actually agree with it

Pejo

Really happy to see Locke as the #1 FFVI character, but really disappointed that Lightning is even showing up on that list. I also thought Cecil, Squall, or Sephi would be #3. Buttz is surprising.

Was this a JP only poll? Would explain a few of the stranger placements. I play Global FFRK, but didn't see the votes come up for this.

jdstorm

Banned
Surprised not to see Balthier there. He's so great in FFXII.

As for Lightning... For me she's clearly the best part of FFXIII, she's tough and pragmatic, but at the same time manages to be loyal and caring to what has to be the worst FF party. (Edit: I was fine with her being grumpy because I was just as grumpy that I was stuck with Snow, Fangs terrible Australian accent Plus Michael and Claire from lost.) Sure XIII-2/3 are completely crap from a story perspective and they ditch most of what I like about 13. But only looking at 13 lightning is a solid addition to the FF lore.

I haven't played every FF game, but from 6-15, 13 comfortably has the worst party. I honestly couldn't imagine a FF cast from FF1-5 being worse

I don't think I'd have her that high. But my list would be overpopulated by characters from 6 and 10

khaaan

It doesn't work for me because its like they went through a checklist of what they thought a 'badass' female character should be, then mixed it up and produced Lightning. I can see her cool traits and the interesting elements of her design, but what's her personality? Why is she the way she is? I can't remember any development of her character at all. At least they justify Cloud and Squall's issues with their backstories. They then develop considerably throughout their games. Lightning feels like a card board cutout in comparison.

The rose has many meanings: passion, love, and beauty.

She was just like Hope. Her parents died. She had to be strong for Serah, so she thought she needed to forget her past. And she became Lightning. She thought by changing her name, she could change who she was. She was just a kid. Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys. Serah tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. She threatened her. The only one who believed her was Snow.

Beth Cyra

The most surprising thing IMO is Rinoa.

Literally what. People actually like that generic damsel in distress?
You shut your damn whore mouth.

Rinoa is the best Female in FF outside of Fang. Kind and works hard as well as containing the largest amounts of power by end game.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No Balthier, Ashe, or Basch? Tidus above Auron? Vivi and Zidane so low?! You're testing me, Japan. This...this must just be a test of my patience.

I'm all for representation of strong female characters in media, but I don't get the appeal of Lightning at all. She's like a drywall & saltine sandwich, painfully bland and dry. It isn't that I actively despise her character, I just don't see her appeal beyond the design.

Rikku even making the list is...fine. I'm cool with it. She's probably my favorite of her character type in the recent games.

rataven

The most surprising thing IMO is Rinoa.

Literally what. People actually like that generic damsel in distress?

I'm generally baffled that any of VIII's characters that aren't Laguna rank in these polls. They seem about as interesting and likable as XIII's cast, which is to say, not at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The rose has many meanings: passion, love, and beauty.

She was just like Hope. Her parents died. She had to be strong for Serah, so she thought she needed to forget her past. And she became Lightning. She thought by changing her name, she could change who she was. She was just a kid. Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys. Serah tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. She threatened her. The only one who believed her was Snow.

Why did you directly quote lightning herself? Lol, and Toriyama too?

Lightning wasn't too bad in XIII. Not an offensively bad character, but a bit on the bland side and surrounded by people infinitely more interesting than her. I guess she really is the female Cloud. I actively liked her in Lightning Returns though. Through interactions with NPCs and their ridiculous problems, it felt like they finally gave her something resembling a personality.

Top Bottom