• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite female characters from Final Fantasy

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmalice. Seriously though, Agrias needs more respect in the series. People complain about the lack of strong female characters and forget that there's Agrias Oaks, who, until you pick up Cid Orlandeau, is the strongest character in FFT.
Indeed.
Filling herself with alcohol is likely the only way she can cope with Hope trying to feel her up all the time. Like, Hope comes up and is all "See Light! I'm a MAN now! I have a neck tie and a job and people respect me!" And she's all *SWIG*.

Lightning actually had a terrible sex life in which men would always call her by some other woman's name. Hope called her mom and started crying half-way through. Kain called her Rosa twice. Firion probably called her Hilda. And when Toriyama called her by her name she probably started crying.

At some point the booze had proven inefficient to help her cope, so Lightning swore off men forever, changed her name, adopted a new code name on top of that (cuz she gotta have a code name) dyed her hair gray and skipped down forever. She kept the bicycle shorts though.
/obscure reference to Seven.
You are on fire lately. I almost forgive you for spoiling VLR.

Filling herself with alcohol is likely the only way she can cope with Hope trying to feel her up all the time. Like, Hope comes up and is all "See Light! I'm a MAN now! I have a neck tie and a job and people respect me!" And she's all *SWIG*.

Lightning actually had a terrible sex life in which men would always call her by some other woman's name. Hope called her mom and started crying half-way through. Kain called her Rosa twice. Firion probably called her Hilda. And when Toriyama called her by her name she probably started crying.
This reminds me that I need to get back to your Dissidia fic...

At some point the booze had proven inefficient to help her cope, so Lightning swore off men forever, changed her name, adopted a new code name on top of that (cuz she gotta have a code name) dyed her hair gray and skipped down forever. She kept the bicycle shorts though.
/obscure reference to Seven.
Great, back to shipping Lightning x Fan-wait, no. I don't want to be the one to take this FF thread off the rails into creepy TMI town. *keeps OTP to self*

Oh HECK NAW. As of Dissidia: Final Fantasy Penelo has way more personality than Fran. She's sassy.
Dissidia!Penelo >>>>>>>>> all other Penelos

Ikael

The male character rank is far less awful than the female one, because Jesus fuck @ Lightining being number one on the list. That poll is gotta be rigged.

AdventChild

Neo Member
Fang. Dont know why, but she rocks.

final%20fantasy%20video%20games%20models%20final%20fantasy%20xiii%20oerba%20dia%20vanille%20oerba%20yun%20fang%201920x1080%20wa_wallpaperbeautiful_86.jpg

And of course, 1st place, bitches.

wSAnS.jpg

Persona86

Banned
You have to wonder how many of them who voted are people new to Final Fantasy and have only Played FF13 and FF13-2. Not to mention the latest games are more in the spotlight. Then this starts to make a bit more sense.

King_Moc

Banned
What in the actual fuck?

Lightning is a terrible character. The female Marcus Fenix. Fine for an action game, shit for an RPG.

CorvoSol

Indeed.

You are on fire lately. I almost forgive you for spoiling VLR.

Oh my- Did I? Holy hell point me there so I can edit it. Is it in this thread? I'll check this thread. I'm so so so so so sorry. I must've slipped. Let me go look. I feel terrible now. Spoiling the game was not what I intended to do at all. I'm really sorry!

This reminds me that I need to get back to your Dissidia fic...
Which reminds me I need to go back to finishing it.
Great, back to shipping Lightning x Fan-wait, no. I don't want to be the one to take this FF thread off the rails into creepy TMI town. *keeps OTP to self*
I honestly ship Lightning with Firion, because it's the only time she's ever actually been shipped in a game, and it's adorable. I also ship Seven with Jack, rather than women
, but Type-0 DEFs ships her with Sice.

Dissidia!Penelo >>>>>>>>> all other Penelos

I was sad that she got nerfed in Duodecim. Also that they inexplicably removed Kefka's awesome rip on Sephiroth for no good reason.

spirity

Haha, oh wow. She's not offensive, she's just so incredibly bland. Someone likened her to John Cena, and thats spot on. The unrelenting push of a complete meh.

If Japan had great taste all the girls from 4 would be in the top spots and all the guys from 4 would be in their top spots. With Rydia and Edge taking the crowns.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To be fair, Lightning in Japanese is a bit more tolerable than the English version. The English direction makes her come off as flat and boring with zero personality. Maaya at least does a decent job, even if it isn't her best.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys have to realize again that this is a poll on the official Square Enix forum. The only people that would still be posting there are fans of the current games. Both of the top male and female choices were protagonists of the most recent mainline Final Fantasy and Prequel to a mainline Final Fantasy. Japanese people also have bad taste.

Just going by fanart and doujin, Lightning isn't very popular at all. Final Fantasy VII is the most popular. FFV and FFIV are very popular in Fan art and Doujin circles. Agrias actually has a lot of Doujins dedicated to her so it isn't surprising someone voted for her.

LuuKyK

You guys have to realize again that this is a poll on the official Square Enix forum. The only people that would still be posting there are fans of the current games. Both of the top male and female choices were protagonists of the most recent mainline Final Fantasy and Prequel to a mainline Final Fantasy. Japanese people also have bad taste.

Just going by fanart and doujin, Lightning isn't very popular at all. Final Fantasy VII is the most popular. FFV and FFIV are very popular in Fan art and Doujin circles. Agrias actually has a lot of Doujins dedicated to her so it isn't surprising someone voted for her.

You are great at assuming things.

CorvoSol

How unaware of personality do you have to be to find Lightning to be a good character? Jesus, she's so fucking boring.

She punches Snow in the face twice. I was sold from that moment on. Few times in a game has a protagonist done exactly what I wanted when I wanted it done like that. Lightning being furious nonstop was cool for me, because it was unusual for an FF woman to do. I'm told Ashe is like that, but I confess that something like 4 years had passed between when I played 12 and 13 and I didn't remember Ashe that well at that point.

Now that she's been elevated to a Goddess and stripped of her rage, yes, I agree, but Lightning's constant anger was endearing to me. It lead to great moments in Dissidia like her telling Ex-Death "Why don't you go find your stupid Void and fall in it?" Or when she flipped out on Cosmos, which was also something I wanted done.

I think Lightning should've made the list, but I don't think she should've ranked so high. Aerith got robbed of her rightful place up top.

Izayoi

Banned
God damnit Japan, why is your taste so shit?

Lightning deserves to go somewhere, but definitely not at the top of that list.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
She punches Snow in the face twice. I was sold from that moment on. Few times in a game has a protagonist done exactly what I wanted when I wanted it done like that. Lightning being furious nonstop was cool for me, because it was unusual for an FF woman to do. I'm told Ashe is like that, but I confess that something like 4 years had passed between when I played 12 and 13 and I didn't remember Ashe that well at that point.

Now that she's been elevated to a Goddess and stripped of her rage, yes, I agree, but Lightning's constant anger was endearing to me. It lead to great moments in Dissidia like her telling Ex-Death "Why don't you go find your stupid Void and fall in it?" Or when she flipped out on Cosmos, which was also something I wanted done.

I think Lightning should've made the list, but I don't think she should've ranked so high. Aerith got robbed of her rightful place up top.

She said GILGAMESH is confident enough.

And GILGAMESH said to stop staring.

So yeah. PMS Lightning is cool in my book.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Rinoa ranking higher than Rosa? This is a travesty.

Rinoa ranking above ANYONE from FF, NPCs included, is a travesty.

Takuan

I figured Lightning had to be #1, but I'm surprised to see Fang missing entirely from the list. I never beat FFXIII, but she struck me as being the coolest female party member of the group.

Why is Vaan on the men's list? He's not even a character. He's just a texture that follows the party around, you might as well vote in the cursor.

Oh my- Did I? Holy hell point me there so I can edit it. Is it in this thread? I'll check this thread. I'm so so so so so sorry. I must've slipped. Let me go look. I feel terrible now. Spoiling the game was not what I intended to do at all. I'm really sorry!
In the romance thread. Unmarked spoiler seems like it's only about 999 based on the context, but its got VLR spoilers too.

Which reminds me I need to go back to finishing it. I honestly ship Lightning with Firion, because it's the only time she's ever actually been shipped in a game, and it's adorable. I also ship Seven with Jack, rather than women
, but Type-0 DEFs ships her with Sice.
Lighting x Firion? This I gotta see.

The encounter/defeat dialog in Dissidia is some of the best stuff in the game, hands down.

x2

Then again, Toriyama probably harbors some very sexist beliefs.
Most like. Though, to his credit, XIII is the most female-centric FF ever, so there is that.

Why is Vaan on the men's list? He's not even a character. He's just a texture that follows the party around, you might as well vote in the cursor.
This is the best thing about Vaan that I have ever read.

Top Bottom