• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New official favorite Final Fantasy characters ranking from FFRK 2nd Anniversary

Best Final Fantasy character?

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrutaS

Don't know japanese here... Might this be an actual count of the most used characters in the game? Those have pretty good soul breaks and overall stats so I woudn't be surprised...

Koh

What's the appeal of Cloud? Is it his sword?

But considering this site is full of gaming hipsters, I'm not surprised most people here don't see what makes Lightning so popular.

Cloud makes sense to me given the exposure and success of FFVII. He was likable for at least half the game + rose tinted glasses.

Lightning was dreadful to neutral through FFXIII imo, hence the question.

daveo42

Banned
Translation: I like FF7 better than FF13 so I don't mind if the main character is on top even thought he far from the best in series.

It's not the best choice, but it's way more tolerable than Lightning being anywhere near the top 10.

Timeaisis

I like Cloud, I really do, but I feel like people remember him fondly for things he never did. He wasn't a solemn, loner edgelord in FFVII, but that's how he's been portrayed in all media since KH.

I mean, the fucking guy cross dresses and says "let's mosey". Sure, he was in a coma for a while and that was pretty depressing, but he's mostly just a standard JRPG protag with some quirks. I guess I'll chalk it up to FFVII being the most popular game in the series. It stands to reason the protagonist of that will win. Even if there are better characters within that very game. Oh well.

Vivi for life

kromeo

Of all the things to complain about Bartz and his appearances across multiple games, a lack of personality isn't one of them.

Maybe not specific to him, the whole game lacks personality for me. I can't honestly remember anything that happens in it and I must have completed it 4 times

Azuran

Banned
Cloud makes sense to me given the exposure and success of FFVII. He was likable for at least half the game + rose tinted glasses.

Lightning was dreadful to neutral through FFXIII imo, hence the question.

Lightning is cool as hell the majority of the time. I don't know how people can't see that.

No Ashe or Balthier?
Two criminally underrated characters.

The majority of the XII cast should be in the top 10 if there was any justice in this world.

Falk

that puzzling face
Bartz, the FFV protagonist, the third more popular FF character?

giphy.gif

FFV is popular in Japan. Moreso than VI

Lightning has a really cool visual design (In XIII, wasn't a fan of the other outfits) so I get the appeal there, and I guess she has a decent arc in XIII (that seems to go off the rails in the sequels). She was inoffensive at best for me, until the sequels deified her for some bizarre reason.

Yaaay, Bartz and Gilgamesh are on there! Awesome! I'm surprised Bartz is so high up, but I love it. But where the hell is Balthier?!

Btw, Celes should be on there, not Terra.

Sephzilla

I like Cloud, I really do, but I feel like people remember him fondly for things he never did. He wasn't a solemn, loner edgelord in FFVII, but that's how he's been portrayed in all media since KH.

I mean, the fucking guy cross dresses and says "let's mosey". Sure, he was in a coma for a while and that was pretty depressing, but he's mostly just a standard JRPG protag with some quirks. I guess I'll chalk it up to FFVII being the most popular game in the series. It stands to reason the protagonist of that will win. Even if there are better characters within that very game. Oh well.

Vivi for life

I kind of hate Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children for basically retconning Cloud into the emo trope he seems to be now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tifa is so low? For shame. Atleast Cloud knocked Lightning off the top spot, that would have slayed me

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Definitely surprised about Bartz since he has probably the most boring visual design of all the FF protagonists.

And fuck Lightning.

Zomba13

But considering this site is full of gaming hipsters, I'm not surprised most people here don't see what makes Lightning so popular.

So what is it then, if you can see it but not the rest of us? Is it the pink hair? Or the fact she is pretty much a girl Squall/AC Cloud? She is just such a boring and souless character and her main trait of "gotta protect my sister!" is outdone by Snow's determination for the same goal! Yeah, people hate Snow because he's obnoxious but at least he isn't as lifeless and unemotional as Lightning who at most, gets angry sometimes.

xviper

never liked FF games but why the hate on Lightning ?? is it only because FF13 was a disappointment to the fans ?

PK Gaming

I imagine it's extremely tilted due to the game appealing to people who liked the SNES era of Final Fantasy.

I'm sure if you polled Dissidia players you'd get Bartz way lower.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Bartz is pretty unremarkable in his own era (especially when you compare him to juggernauts like Cecil, Kain, Terra, etc) but when you add Dissidia and the various Dissidia style games to the equation, suddenly Bartz becomes a hell of lot more appealing.

DylanEno

I'd say that's an absolutely valid reason, actually.

I'm guessing it mostly has to do with him representing the peak of the series for a lot of people (likely blinded by nostalgia, but that's to be expected). Lightning, on the other hand, represents the degradation of the franchise.

Me, personally, I like them both. I find both appealing, cool, attractive, etc. I don't find them all that interesting personality-wise, but they're final fantasy characters, so. Like you mentioned, their swords are cool, and that's half the character anyway right

never liked FF games but why the hate on Lightning ?? is it only because FF13 was a disappointment to the fans ?
She was the face of FF for the entirety of last generation. The generation of "HD towns are hard", the XIII trilogy and just the general incompetence of Squeenix. She represents that to many people and it's hard to divorce the troubles surrounding Squeenix and the games they made during.

Zomba13

Vivi for life

I kind of hate Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children for basically retconning Cloud into the emo trope he seems to be now.

Yeah, post Advent Children/Kingdom Hearts Cloud just somehow became the mopey emo guy even though he wasn't like that in FFVII except for very few bits and even then it was because of understandable reasons. Hell, Zidane goes on an emo trip in FFIX and yet he's still portrayed as the fun loving scamp with a monkey tail!

She was the face of FF for the entirety of last generation. The generation of "HD towns are hard", the XIII trilogy and just the general incompetence of Squeenix. She represents that to many people and it's hard to divorce the troubles surrounding Squeenix and the games they made during.

Plus she was just a super boring character. Her design was cool, she had nice hair and her transforming sword was neat but she was just so boring and soulless which I guess could be a good thing if people thought the other XIII characters were too annoying (Snow and his obnoxious "I'm a hero!" act, Hope and his "I'm a kid and you killed my Mom waaaah", Vanille and her "oooh I'm so spunky and fun but really I'm not!").

JBwB

I really don't get the Lightning hate here. Was it the VA that put you guys off? That's literally the only reason I can think of.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

That plus they tried so fucking hard to push her as this new Final Fantasy icon/female version of Cloud.

She is sort of like the Poochie of the Final Fantasy series.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Isn't this just ranking the characters based on how useful they are in RK?

It can't be as Cloud and Lightning are both above average characters that only benefits from getting new shiny weapons or First to break new level caps. Ramza, P.Cecil and Onion Knight should be much higher.

L Thammy

We're going to find out in a few years that there's a massive conspiracy to make Lightning the most popular Final Fantasy character. President Trump will be impeached for his role and will live out the rest of his days in shame.

FFV is popular in Japan. Moreso than VI

We need to send a NeoGAF ambassador to Japan to explain that their opinion on video games is wrong.

DylanEno

So what is it then, if you can see it but not the rest of us? Is it the pink hair? Or the fact she is pretty much a girl Squall/AC Cloud? She is just such a boring and souless character and her main trait of "gotta protect my sister!" is outdone by Snow's determination for the same goal! Yeah, people hate Snow because he's obnoxious but at least he isn't as lifeless and unemotional as Lightning who at most, gets angry sometimes.
I'll take lifeless and unemotional over "don't worry babe your hero is on his way!" any day. Snow's cringeworthy personality was one of the worst things about that game, IMO. Why Troy why

rhandino

Banned
There's just something about Lightning

It's hard to explain

She's like a rose

I'm staring at a rose right now and I'm just thinking how similar it is to Lightning

Passion oozing

Can strike you and make you bleed if you're not careful

Fragile, yet fierce

Pure beauty

DylanEno

There's just something about Lightning

It's hard to explain

She's like a rose

I'm staring at a rose right now and I'm just thinking how similar it is to Lightning

Passion oozing

Can strike you and make you bleed if you're not careful

Fragile, yet fierce

Pure beauty
Please tell me this isn't a Nomura quote lmao

Narroo

Who are these sick people who keep voting for Lightning - the Roman Reigns of Final Fantasy?

Well, most of those other games were made 20+ years ago. Really! FF7 came out in 1997; that's 19 years ago! Naturally, there's going to be a bias for the newer games because someone who is playing - and enjoying - the games now is more likely to be voting in the poll than someone who played the games 20 years ago and left.

With that in mind, FF has been dominated by 13 for years now, so it's unsurprising that many fans there are FFXIII fans.

Top Bottom