• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

if illumi was truly that strong then hisoka would have fought him already. hisoka probably hasn't fought with him yet because illumi is slightly weaker than him and he can use him for other stuff. he still considers him one of his toys so he is planning on fighting him in the future.

ibdAwndEAexvU5.png

I don't agree with this because couple chapters after that one I mentioned Hisoka was contemplating if he should Kill Killua just so Illumi would be upset and hunt him down. Which shows that he does in fact have an interest in fighting him.

kirblar

I don't agree with this because couple chapters after that one I mentioned Hisoka was contemplating if he should Kill Killua just so Illumi would be upset and hunt him down. Which shows that he does in fact have an interest in fighting him.
Insomuch as he likes a challenge- he does seem to like his company, much like he doesn't mind hanging out with Gon's crew, it's free entertainment to him.

Yonafunu

Insomuch as he likes a challenge- he does seem to like his company, much like he doesn't mind hanging out with Gon's crew, it's free entertainment to him.

It looks like more than just entertainment, it's a partnership of sorts. They seem to know each other pretty well, and even seem to have some sort of mutual trust. If they weren't Illumi and Hisoka, I'd even go as far as call them friends.

kirblar

It looks like more than just entertainment, it's a partnership of sorts. They seem to know each other pretty well, and even seem to have some sort of mutual trust. If they weren't Illumi and Hisoka, I'd even go as far as call them friends.
It probably is friendship on Illumi's side, lol.

Yonafunu

It probably is friendship on Illumi's side, lol.

Maybe, but I don't think either of them has any delusions about their relationship the other doesn't share. That is to say, even if Illumi thinks of it as a friendship, he knows what Hisoka is capable of. They both know what the other is like. I do't see any controlling person in the relationship, they're pretty equal in power.

He doesn't need a lot of time, just 0.1 secs to make one focused, lethal attack to a vital point like head or heart.

Can Killua do this though?

I believe it was stated that when Killua uses Whirlwind (Shippu Jinrai) he isn't "consciously" attacking the enemy, just using pre-programmed moves to react to fluctuations in the enemies aura. This actually seems like more of a defensive technique in retrospect.

Although I suppose it is completely possibly to just attack while using Dankou Sekka if KIllua thinks he can consciously avoid all of Illumi's attacks. I think this was seen when Killua disintegrates that one mini Pouf.

I guess if Killua has a stronger aura than Illumi or is physically stronger than Shippu Jinrai would be able to harm him as well.

Kanmuru is a fascinating ability.

Edit: Killua also lost a lot of edge because his whole family knows about Kanmuru now too. Tusbone said herself that is she didn't know about it then she probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with Killua, so Illumi would most likely prepare for it if they fought.

Edit2: also what Yonafune said about Illumi's "shapeshifting"

smurfx

get some go again
hisoka would probably fight illumi but only if he was in a murderous rage over him kiling killua. he might be a much stronger opponent in that case.

Maybe, but I don't think either of them has any delusions about their relationship the other doesn't share. That is to say, even if Illumi thinks of it as a friendship, he knows what Hisoka is capable of. They both know what the other is like. I do't see any controlling person in the relationship, they're pretty equal in power.
it's basically two crazy killers being friendly. if illumi got a contract to kill hisoka tomorrow then he wouldn't hesitate to kill him. wonder if he would tell him that he got a contract to kill him and to be prepared.

kirblar

I don't think Illumi would immediately go do it. Look at what happened in the Yorknew arc. Loopholes are fun. He'd definitely do it if he didn't have another option though.

I'm so happy Pariston and Cheadle made the jump to animation okay. But these episodes are just going to get me excited for a Dark Continent arc in the anime, and we all know how long that's going to take...

Yonafunu

I don't think Illumi would immediately go do it. Look at what happened in the Yorknew arc. Loopholes are fun. He'd definitely do it if he didn't have another option though.

I agree. But he'd definitely tell Hisoka he'd gotten the contract.

Jex

Oh yeah that was fucking weird. After so many volumes being a fully fictional world, reading "the Spanish football league" was a WAT.

There's been plenty of references to our world before. It's a very strange world, in that regard because it appears to be entirely fictional (dat map) and be filled with impossible things (e.g. monsters, Nen). Whenever something gets name dropped e.g. the Biblical scriptures in the ShinYork Arc I get pretty confused.

Erigu

There's been plenty of references to our world before. It's a very strange world, in that regard because it appears to be entirely fictional (dat map) and be filled with impossible things (e.g. monsters, Nen). Whenever something gets name dropped e.g. the Biblical scriptures in the ShinYork Arc I get pretty confused.
When/what was that, again? I forget...

I guess there would also be the sushi episode, toward the beginning of the series, which referenced Japan pretty damn directly.

Lulubop

All of Silva's children where born male, however Alluka or the entity that coincides with Alluka's ability identifies as female.

Ok, confirmed lack of hiatus. We have spoilers.

BTW, I wanted to comment on people's speculation about Pariston's powers. As he seems to be an important antagonist, people are already saying he is X powerful, what powers should he have... etc. I find that discussion misguiding, I think Pariston's idea as character is a very average hunter in terms of Nen but it doesn't matter, as he has incredible intelligence and manipulation talent.

Yonafunu

BTW, I wanted to comment on people's speculation about Pariston's powers. As he seems to be an important antagonist, people are already saying he is X powerful, what powers should he have... etc. I find that discussion misguiding, I think Pariston's idea as character is a very average hunter in terms of Nen but it doesn't matter, as he has incredible intelligence and manipulation talent.

I agree. I think his comments about being able to understand the weak were true. I don't think he's strong at all.

Edit:

New chapter is out

Lulubop

Chapter is out, good stuff.

Kurapika already proving his worth to the Zodiacs.

Who's the mole? Money is on Mizaistom or the Snake.

Wonder if we'll at least see what type of Nen Ging and Pariston have next week.

Kurapika already starting to stir the pot is great. Out of the old Zodiacs, the only 2 we have really spent a lot of time with at this point are Cheadle and Mizaistom, so I'm not sure whether to suspect Mizaistom because of that or not. I think Mizaistom is the only Zodiac who's Nen ability we know as well, though we did find out what everyone else's specialties were this week. Poor Cluck is just a performer, that's not going to go very well in the Dark Continent.

And then we get the month timeskip to after the Hunter Exams, meaning we're about two years from the start of the series, I guess. Ging has been great so far, I enjoy him just messing with Beyond's crew. There's a chance we may see his and Pariston's abilities next week. I think a lot of people are underestimating Pariston, he is obviously a very dangerous guy but I think he has to have some sort of combat ability as well as he has been thinking about a lot of people he wants out of his way lately. Makes me wonder who the villain of this arc is going to be, as so far we have Pariston, Beyond, the mole, and the Prince of Kakkin all as contenders. I'm looking forward to learning more about Beyond's crew as well, I don't think we even know any of their names yet.

kirblar

Kurapika already starting to stir the pot is great. Out of the old Zodiacs, the only 2 we have really spent a lot of time with at this point are Cheadle and Mizaistom, so I'm not sure whether to suspect Mizaistom because of that or not. I think Mizaistom is the only Zodiac who's Nen ability we know as well, though we did find out what everyone else's specialties were this week. Poor Cluck is just a performer, that's not going to go very well in the Dark Continent.

And then we get the month timeskip to after the Hunter Exams, meaning we're about two years from the start of the series, I guess. Ging has been great so far, I enjoy him just messing with Beyond's crew. There's a chance we may see his and Pariston's abilities next week. I think a lot of people are underestimating Pariston, he is obviously a very dangerous guy but I think he has to have some sort of combat ability as well as he has been thinking about a lot of people he wants out of his way lately. Makes me wonder who the villain of this arc is going to be, as so far we have Pariston, Beyond, the mole, and the Prince of Kakkin all as contenders. I'm looking forward to learning more about Beyond's crew as well, I don't think we even know any of their names yet.
Kurapika's suffering from "Used to being the smartest guy in the room" syndrome.

Hyun Sai

Yeah, I don't buy Pariston bragging he is on the "weak" side, and trying to mess with one of the Top 5 nen users of the planet (Netero said that about Ging) without being uncomfortable at all.

kirblar

Yeah, I don't buy Pariston bragging he is on the "weak" side, and trying to mess with one of the Top 5 nen users of the planet (Netero said that about Ging) without being uncomfortable at all.
Could easily have been a "weak" guy prior to learning about Nen.

Chapter is out, good stuff.

Kurapika already proving his worth to the Zodiacs.

Who's the mole? Money is on Mizaistom or the Snake.

Wonder if we'll at least see what type of Nen Ging and Pariston have next week.

dude I hope so. Nen is great. I'm all about the Nen. I love Nen.

I think we may have vaguely seen Cluck's and the Snake's nen, although it may be just talents they have. Cluck sent out those birds to give the election message to every hunter in the association. Manipulation nen? Also, the Snake woman turned her arm into a Snake to threaten Pariston. Transmutation? Conjuration? Who knows.

I think he's the weakest among the Zodiacs, at least. He's still pretty strong, probably, but not that strong.

Pariston's strength probably relies in his intellect and Nen. He is almost definitely physically weak, but his Nen and intellect must be strong enough for Ging to consider him dangerous. I hope we see their abilities next week.

posting my thoughts from the manga thread

Hunter x Hunter

Dang Kurapika's great in this chapter. On Page 4 they mention Kyousen Hunters. What does that refer to? The Hunters that went missing during Pariston's Vice Chairmanship?
I'm digging this chapter. We got a lot of information on the Zodiacs, and they all seem highly qualified even beyond their Hunter status, which is to be expected. I guess we can expect more of Morel, Knuckle, Shoot, etc. based on what Ginta says, which sounds great to me.
God damn, I love Ging too. Seems like he completely outclasses all the members of Beyond's team. Truly the GOAT character. Can't wait for next week!

I love how the Hunter x Hunter chapters are so dense. It takes me like 10x the amount of time to read a Hunter x Hunter chapter than it does to read a Bleach chapter.

remz

agree that pariston is (comparatively) weak but IMO fighting ability isn't what makes him problematic- it's his politicking and manipulation that makes his a difficult adversary. like ging said- he could beat pariston until he's on the ground bleeding out and it wouldn't be enough. if you want to "beat" him you have foil his scheming. Perhaps his nen ability is something related to that, but then you'd think we'd have seen it during the election?

ging and pariston are already fighting really- except without fists.

Mortemis

Banned
Pariston probably doesn't have any sort of deadly nen, it doesn't suit him imo.

Btw, this Ging - Pariston character dynamic is fucking awesome, I'm loving every bit of interaction. Plus it also fleshes out both characters and is an easy way to show their flaws. I hope these two stay in the spotlight and keep at each other's throats for a long time.

Mael

Dang Kurapika's great in this chapter. On Page 4 they mention Kyousen Hunters. What does that refer to? The Hunters that went missing during Pariston's Vice Chairmanship?

There's something like 16 missing hunters for the last 3 years so it can't be this.
I guess it would be the Temp hunters that Pariston created to support/finance him somehow.
I think it was last chapter that when they met Ging they said they were all Temp Hunters anyway no?
I guess I'll know for sure when it's in volume form...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My god, these chapters might be text heavy, but they're so good. Great chapter this week!

Fandangox

This arc's build up its great, latest chapters have been pretty good in setting it up. I think Killua will definitively skip this arc since we haven't seen him, and Gon might too possibly, but not sure on that last one.

Just glad Leorio and Kurapica are back.

Hunter x Hunter 347

The resolution to the Beyond's group discussion about No.2 and Ging vs Pariston machinations (well, for now)

The attack of the new group was really planned by Pariston, to see Ging's powers. He notices it, but still show him. At least, he is a genius of nen manipulation, and he can copy nen physical attacks he receives. I think it's less a special ability like Kuroro who stole Nen powers, but pure super-fast-learning from a Nen master.

We have some insight to Ging's frame of mind (maybe, he still could be fooling everyone), and Ging's concedes, for now.

Yonafunu

There were hints in the previous chapter, when he was playing with his aura, but it seems Ging is indeed extremely proficient in controlling his aura. He's definitely the best pure Nen-user we've seen so far, by a very large margin.
The fact that his mimicking doesn't even have anything to do with his own Hatsu is scary. He was able to easily mimic Leorio's ability because it's so simple, and the way he applies his Nen to take out the soldiers near the wall suggests it's just pure aura control.

I'm even more curious about Pariston now, too.

Radec

I feel we've just seen a glimpse of what Ging can do.

Would be great if Hisoka have seen and rated Ging and Pariston back at the start of the election.

There were hints in the previous chapter, when he was playing with his aura, but it seems Ging is indeed extremely proficient in controlling his aura. He's definitely the best pure Nen-user we've seen so far, by a very large margin.
The fact that his mimicking doesn't even have anything to do with his own Hatsu is scary. He was able to easily mimic Leorio's ability because it's so simple, and the way he applies his Nen to take out the soldiers near the wall suggests it's just pure aura control.

I'm even more curious about Pariston now, too.

Yeah, maybe his gimmick is the lack of gimmick.
Do you remember the Bikie's exercises with different categories of Nen? He may reach the maximum level of complexity (that are allowed for his type of nen and amount of aura).

smurfx

get some go again
remember a few chapters back when he pick that guy up and punched his face like a hundred times and it turned out to just be an illusion? wonder if that was another ability ging mimicked. you guys think ging can mimick hisoka's bungie gum?

Yonafunu

Yeah, maybe his gimmick is the lack of gimmick.
Do you remember the Bikie's exercises with different categories of Nen? He may reach the maximum level of complexity (that are allowed for his type of nen and amount of aura).

Yeah, I think he probably has reached his maximum in every area.

remember a few chapters back when he pick that guy up and punched his face like a hundred times and it turned out to just be an illusion? wonder if that was another ability ging mimicked. you guys think ging can mimick hisoka's bungie gum?

That "illusion" was probably just an 'image' of his power or killing intent (you know, that thing a lot of battle series do). I don't think that was an ability. Besides, Ging doesn't strike me as someone who would hold on to abilities like that. With the way he dealt with things in this chapter, he seems like more of a McGuyver type, coming up with aura applications on the spot.
With regards to Hisoka's Bungee Gum, I don't think it would be that hard to mimic. The Hatsu itself seems like it concentrates primarily on maintaining the elasticity and stickiness of the gum, but it doesn't seem like anything complicated beyond that. It's other main characteristic is just that it's 'physical aura', which doesn't seem like a hard form to maintain. I think Ging could definitely come very close, especially after seeing the degree of control he has over his aura. This is pretty much all conjecture, though. Just to be clear, even if Ging could easily mimic it, that doesn't say anything about his power in relation to Hisoka's. Hisoka's strength has always been his cleverness and unpredicability, combined with his deceptively simple Hatsu.

Top Bottom