• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

So Zeno's father is Zzigg...
since the oldest is known anyway and is name Maha or he's an unknown family member and he could have died.

And did Ging just say that all the calamities are chimera ants?
bad translation?
good catch

Yeah bad translation, he just said the calamities were at Chimera Ant level or worse. Something like that.

well looks like alluka was only used to heal him and not remove the condition he put on himself. maybe that guy from greed island can remove it.

You are right, someone commented the same here on in the general manga thread a few weeks ago, that was his interpretation. It's funny, it never ocured to me when it happened two years ago that he was healed by Nanika in body, but that's it, his nen was used up/given up when he fought Pitou and nothing is going to change that. It wasn't until I saw again the fight in the anime against Pitou that I started thinking about it.
In that case, the Nanika moment isn't as a deus ex machina solution as I thought at first.

And it makes me think even more that this Arc will be Ging/Pariston/Kurapica/Leorio without Gon and Killua!

Charade

Having finally read the viz version of the last chapter, here's just some things I noticed compared to the other translation:

-Cheadle did not say to Leorio that "depending on your abilities, what could normally be accomplished in years could be accomplished in mere months." She basically said the opposite; that as his teacher she won't give him an "easy grade" and if he's not good enough he may end up wasting months to years of his life.
-As for Pariston and Ging's conversation, Ging says that if Cheadle accepted V5's terms to go to the DC, she would need expert personnel. The easiest and most efficient way to get these new recruits would be the Hunter Exam, but this way would be the most "boring," something Pariston does not want (because he's that type of person). Pariston says that Netero would never do something like that either, and that Netero would accept losing V5 as a client and would refuse to accompany Beyond. Pariston says Netero would try to make it to the DC and hunt Beyond on his own terms.
-Ging says that if the Hunters Association became boring, Pariston would "dump the Chimera ants in the world" to find a new playmate. But if the Association grew a backbone, Pariston would deliver the finishing blow by sending his Chimera ants to take the Hunter Exam. They would pass in bulk due to the "balanced exam" Cheadle will institute (I think this ties back to the expert personnel she would need for the DC expedition), and the Association would be full of Pariston's Chimera Ant followers. But Ging can't predict what Pariston would do with an Association full of Chimeras.

Erigu

well looks like alluka was only used to heal him and not remove the condition he put on himself.
Weird that Gon didn't realize that when he climbed that tree, then...

Yeah bad translation, he just said the calamities were at Chimera Ant level or worse.
Worse ("5つともキメラ蟻を超える最高か準最高レベルの危険度だ").

kirblar

So regarding the third face that we haven't seen before-
That'd be Netero's dad or grand-dad, right? (Or other older relative)

So there was a Zoldyck on the expedition. Nanaka being Ai is all but confirmed now unless there's a major bait and switch happening.

And maybe Gon really did lose all his Nen.

So regarding the third face that we haven't seen before-
That'd be Netero's dad or grand-dad, right? (Or other older relative)

No, it's Netero himself. Isaac Netero is the full name. But the "Isaac" is totally fucked up because Togashi can't into English. You would have to see the "official" translations of the names by Togashi. Chrollo Lucilfer is Quwrof Wrlccywrlir.

Erigu

Isaac Netero is the full name. But the "Isaac" is totally fucked up because Togashi can't into English.
The spelling "Isaac" was merely a guess. In the end, it's up to Togashi. His character, his name.

You would have to see the "official" translations of the names by Togashi. Chrollo Lucilfer is Quwrof Wrlccywrlir.
If those really are Togashi's and not some Shûeisha guy's, that is.
I mean, we can be sure Togashi is the one who wrote "Zoldyck" this week. Was he the one who spelled that same name "Zaoldyeck" in the official guidebook? Maybe not.

Oh, I wanted to comment something before (but couldn't becuase GAF today isn't very stable).

It's interesting the comments of Ging saying that the calamities weren't brought back by chance. They were brought back by the guides as a kind of warning, or deterrence so they would stop doing more travels to DC. That's why it was exactly 5 calamities in 5 travels, no more or less.

Erigu

"Aizack" pronounced by a Japanese is very close to Isaac.
Which is why translators picked "Isaac": it seemed like a decent possibility. But in the end, it was a mere guess.
I find it a bit odd to claim that the author got the name of his own character wrong just because his spelling clashes with some translators' guess. And the fact "Isaac" is a "real world name" would probably be a better argument if such names were common in the series.

Whatever it's the real name, Aizack or Isaac, they seem to refer to the same person. Netero.
Yep.
Or, well, "Neterro". ;þ

Dads(or granddads) of Netero, Grandpa Zoldyck, and Ging already went there!
Again, that's Neterro, a Zoldyck (we're not entirely sure who), and Linnet (aka the oldest Hunter alive).
Ging never went there, as far as we know.

Daingurse

Wow, shit is about to get real. Loved that short flashback with Netero. What I'm most curious about is whether Gon has been "reset". Will he have to regain his powers from scratch, or can he never summon aura again? Also, Kurapika talking about hidden monsters, the implication seems to be that Gon is the true monster . . .

Lulubop

Zeno's dad is Maha and we met him in the YorkShin arc when we get a second glimpse of Kalluto when the head of the mafia is killed.

Doubt it the official nen remover from the association didn't want to do anything with it and claimed it was worse than death.
Now I know that Association members got severly worfed recently but still if the small bomb from genthru was enough to make a human sized monster....
Well looks like we get country sized monster this time...

No, Maha is Zeno grandfather. We have never really seen Zenos' s father aside from a caricature family tree rendition.

Finally got to read the chapter, that DC lore. Also the Zoldyck is probably Zeno's dad.

I wonder how Meruem would have faired in the DC.

Erigu

Why would Gon need nen to climb a tree? He's been doing these things since he was a kid.
I was under the impression Gon and Killua were now used to maintaining a constant aura. I could maybe understand not noticing it's gone when you're merely talking to friends, but it seems odd to me that he wouldn't even try to use nen when climbing that tree (which is considerably taller than anything back on his island, really).

kirblar

Gon's been super-outdoors-loving kid since he was little. He wouldn't have noticed the difference until he actively tried to use it.

zero_suit

No, Maha is Zeno grandfather. We have never really seen Zenos' s father aside from a caricature family tree rendition.

Finally got to read the chapter, that DC lore. Also the Zoldyck is probably Zeno's dad.

I wonder how Meruem would have faired in the DC.

Post-nuke? Very well...

Now that Gon never being able to use nen is a real possibility i don't think I like it lol

I'm really enjoying this arc so far though. Ging is my new favorite character without a doubt

smurfx

get some go again
wouldn't chimera ants be bigger threats than the calamities if they ended up assimilating them somehow? also chimera ants in the dark continent likely assimilated huge beasts. we will probably see them again but they will be a different kind of threat.

wouldn't chimera ants be bigger threats than the calamities if they ended up assimilating them somehow? also chimera ants in the dark continent likely assimilated huge beasts. we will probably see them again but they will be a different kind of threat.

I have a strong feeling that Meruem by himself is a threat on par with or greater than the calamities and that the ant found in the DC maybe weaker than the ones we are associated with an average since I am assuming there's no humans there to merge with.

I think it's not a good comparison. Meruem was super powerful but fighting against him was a possibility and died with a nuke. But... How do you fight a gas life form (Ai) or a virus?

Yonafunu

So I've been wondering; how the fuck are they going to wrap up the Chimera Ant arc in one episode? That's like 5 chapters in one episode, twice as much content as a regular episode. There's no way they're getting everything in there. Maybe they'll move some of the stuff at the hospital to the first episode of the Election arc...but that would be a shame, I love how the entire conclusion was handled, with Togashi first wrapping up every other storyline before returning to Meruem and Komugi at the very end.

kirblar

So I've been wondering; how the fuck are they going to wrap up the Chimera Ant arc in one episode? That's like 5 chapters in one episode, twice as much content as a regular episode. There's no way they're getting everything in there. Maybe they'll move some of the stuff at the hospital to the first episode of the Election arc...but that would be a shame, I love how the entire conclusion was handled, with Togashi first wrapping up every other storyline before returning to Meruem and Komugi at the very end.
I suspect we'll be getting that stuff as a transition to the Election Arc in order to not drag the Meruem/Komugi finale up together.

Daingurse

It going to be very dense episode for sure. I hope the episode gives me the same feels the last few chapters of the manga gave me.

People are not going to be prepared for the village sequence.
I was not prepared for
Goto dying
. GRRM is rough but
ponzo getting shot in the back of the head in the ant arc
stunned me more than any SOIAF death

VERY good chapter this week I thought. I felt like I followed it much better than the last few.

Yonafunu

I suspect we'll be getting that stuff as a transition to the Election Arc in order to not drag the Meruem/Komugi finale up together.

So what will we see next episode, exactly? Will they dedicate the entire episode to Meruem looking for Komugi, finding her, playing gungi, and dying at the end? I can see that. But then they'd have to use almost the entire episode after that to wrap up the rest, and officially start the Election arc.
Again, that's probably what it's going to be, it's just a shame they'll have to switch it up. The way the manga did it was just so effective.

kirblar

So what will we see next episode, exactly? Will they dedicate the entire episode to Meruem looking for Komugi, finding her, playing gungi, and dying at the end? I can see that. But then they'd have to use almost the entire episode after that to wrap up the rest, and officially start the Election arc.
Again, that's probably what it's going to be, it's just a shame they'll have to switch it up. The way the manga did it was just so effective.
I actually think delaying the Village sequence as long as possible might be the best thing, since not even the Kite reveal tops it as far as emotion goes.

Jex

I have a strong feeling that Meruem by himself is a threat on par with or greater than the calamities and that the ant found in the DC maybe weaker than the ones we are associated with an average since I am assuming there's no humans there to merge with.
Worse ("5つともキメラ蟻を超える最高か準最高レベルの危険度だ").
It's called Shounen Power Creep for a reason folks!

kirblar

The Chimera Ant arc transitioning into an arc where the humans are ants in comparison to everything around them is pretty fantastic.

The Chimera Ant arc transitioning into an arc where the humans are ants in comparison to everything around them is pretty fantastic.

I kind of doubt there will be anything stronger then Meruem except for things that fight in weird ways like Nanaka and the Calamities that could kill anyone.

I could be wrong, but that just seems like Togashi's writing style to me.

My reasoning is that clearly not all Chimera Ant were made equal since you have the King and the Royal Guards being head and shoulder above all the others, and the King after absorbing Pouf and Youpi was even more ridiculous yet.

So on average the DC stuff may be more deadly but the higher tiers like Mereum and his guards may be equal or greater.

Kyuur

So, I went back and looked at Ging's first real introduction, and he was definitely riding two huge magical beasts. With that and his knowledge of the outside world, his ancestor etc, I kind of wonder if he hasn't already made some journeys (successful or not) towards the outside world. I also wonder if the Kiriko are the navigators required to get there, considering they are also magical beasts and most likely from the outside world. The ones used in the exam could know Netero from previous voyages, and thus why they would offer to help out. Would also explain how one was with the Zoldycks in the last arc, now that we know that Zzigg went out there.

After reading the latest chapter and going back to when Gon was healed I started to think of something. If anyone has thought of this before (maybe a few pages back that I didn't read) then lmk.

When Alluka healed Gon, Killua said "Return Gon back to normal". But Alluka doesn't know Gon and how he could use Nen etc... Killua never told Alluka about it beforehand and he didn't specify the wish.

What if the wish changed Gon back to when he couldn't use Nen. And to get it back now, he has to train all over again.

fuck another hiatus already?

at least it's a short one...

I hope it's more Shonen Jump wanting to put a few weeks off in the middle to lengthen their publication until a new true hiatus is reached, but the chapters are truly done (Togashi can't do art at the level of the previous chapter in a week in any case, they were clearly done while the series was in hiatus for almost two years).

I hope it's more Shonen Jump wanting to put a few weeks off in the middle to lengthen their publication until a new true hiatus is reached, but the chapters are truly done (Togashi can't do art at the level of the previous chapter in a week in any case, they were clearly done while the series was in hiatus for almost two years).

Togashi said a week hiatus is to prepare for the return of a special character. Probably chrollo or something.

Hxh 345

Gon to study and write reports, he really doesn't have Nen, he is out of the Arc. The prince is a baaaad guy, he doesn't seem the typical hxh villain that will get redeemed.
Ging starts to get under Pariston's skin. I wonder if Ging insistence in paying up everyone and being their nominal boss are conditions for a hatsu.

So it looks like Kurapika is on his way to confront the Prince now? I'm certainly not expecting a traditional fight between them.

And Pariston is PISSED at Ging. We don't know either of their powers yet, though, so who knows what happens with them.

Top Bottom