• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Philippo

Togashi and GRRM both got me fucked up :( I only hopped in on HxH a few years ago. I'll get used to this as well.

I kinda wish hed just write a story continuation for Madhouse to adapt.

Edit - just read it will only be a few month break. I'll take it. A few months on a few months off is fair. Togashi's priority should be his health. He's already given us a fantastic story which he could have wrapped up with Gon meeting his father.

To me HxH already with the World Tree scene, everything we're getting now is like an extended work that fleshes out the world and the characters. This way i'm also less mad when it goes on hiatus.

daveo42

Banned
I was hoping we wouldn't go back on break, but I'm still not surprised we are. Hope Togashi feels better after his break and does come back before year's end. This arc has been one of the best in the series for me.

Mael

The dude swung around a giant hammer made of human bodies till they fell apart lol. That fight really is one of the best I've ever seen in the medium.

And it was a curbstomp battle on top of that!
And because we saw it from Hisoka's perspective who barely understood what happened, we understood even less :lol.
Good thing this chapter doesn't end in the middle of an action, must have been really tiring for that guy to rush Kurapika for a year straight...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This one dude nutted but the Tsuchibokko still sucking. Somebody tell Jolyne they're hunting for some White Snakes.

From the look of it whoever is using this Nen power is also responsible for the murder of the bodyguard in the toilet stall earlier in the arc.

Lakuza

Would be nice if it does return again this year (i treat each year as an anime season with 12-ish eps so the wait isn't as bad XD). Atleast the cliffhanger isn't as brutal this time.

Kyuur

Any guesses on what the new volume cover will be?

I think maybe it will have a bunch of princes and maybe Oito on it.

Togashi and GRRM both got me fucked up :( I only hopped in on HxH a few years ago. I'll get used to this as well.

I kinda wish hed just write a story continuation for Madhouse to adapt.

Edit - just read it will only be a few month break. I'll take it. A few months on a few months off is fair. Togashi's priority should be his health. He's already given us a fantastic story which he could have wrapped up with Gon meeting his father.

Really? I think that everything we've seen up to this point was just the prologue

ryan13ts

And on Togashi's current schedule of 10 chapters a year, it would have taken a whopping 13 years to reach its conclusion. At this point I'm honestly starting to consider dropping this manga despite the current arc ticking all the right boxes for me and having the potential to be one of my favorite pieces of fiction to date. The dude is 51 years old, and whatever physical or mental issues preventing him from doing even a third of the work of your average manga artist aren't likely to get better as he gets older.

Unless he finally hires assistants to do most of his work or decides to turn HxH into a light novel, how are we supposed to get through what is setting up to be a 150+ chapter arc based on the current pacing at Togashi's current pace, without it ending abruptly? He was struggling to draw in his 30s and 40s, are we expecting him to keep going when he's well into his 60s?

This sums it up perfectly. Although this break is suppose to be just a few months, there's no guarantee that the next one won't be another 1-2 year gap knowing Togashi. If he knew he wasn't going to write at any kind of consistent pace, I feel like he should have ended it with the election arc since the main purpose of the manga was met with Gon finally finding his dad. Sure, there would have been a ton of things that were left unresolved or unexplained, but it would be better than waiting for 1-2 years at a time just to get a few chapters.

Like you said, he's getting older and his pace was bad over 10 years ago so I doubt he'll ever go back to anytime resembling a regular mangaka schedule. Passing it off to assistant to finish with him overseeing might be the best thing at this rate. Otherwise, as morbid as this may sound, he may pass away before he ever finishes the story.

So, moving away from the hiatus talk to discuss the chapter, I wonder who the user of "Silent Majority" is?

It can't be one of the 4th's guards, as the killer was surprised by Muhan's stupidity, and it can't be Yurikov or Loveely. Vareleinte seems like a real shitbag and might even be Momoze's killer, but I have to wonder why he'd choose his own teammate as the first target. I don't suspect Harkenburg's guards because they seem to be there to learn about the "hand feathers," or Zhang Lei and Tubeppa's because they seem genuinely interested in becoming Kurapika's allies.

It could be Bhavi, and his conversation with Yurikov was just meant to keep his colleague in check while he makes his move. Not to mention, the user apparently has a list of targets, which seems like something the elder princes would be most likely to provide. Yuuri, the other maid, is also very possible because she'd have the easiest time possessing Loveely. Slacker has also been largely silent throughout this, though his one line this chapter suggests he's familiar with Muhan, when the killer clearly wasn't.

Lots of possibilities.

Also, I like Bhavi. I kind of hope he becomes an ally. Would have been nice to have seen Tserrids guard get squashed as well, but he is definitely going to meet an unpleasant end it seems.

This sums it up perfectly. Although this break is suppose to be just a few months, there's no guarantee that the next one won't be another 1-2 year gap knowing Togashi. If he knew he wasn't going to write at any kind of consistent pace, I feel like he should have ended it with the election arc since the main purpose of the manga was met with Gon finally finding his dad. Sure, there would have been a ton of things that were left unresolved or unexplained, but it would be better than waiting for 1-2 years at a time just to get a few chapters.

Like you said, he's getting older and his pace was bad over 10 years ago so I doubt he'll ever go back to anytime resembling a regular mangaka schedule. Passing it off to assistant to finish with him overseeing might be the best thing at this rate. Otherwise, as morbid as this may sound, he may pass away before he ever finishes the story.

I agree with this. Personally, I think he should be more upfront about it. Better if he either kept to some degree of schedule, or passed it off to an assistant. On a personal level I can't really blame him. I kind of doubt it is a serious health problem at this point, but more to do with him having enough success to put work on the back burner. Which is fine. It is just a bit frustrating if you are a fan of his work, and his stories do move at a snails pace, or at least HxH does.

Euphony

Banned
I don't even remember what chapter that was because of said breaks lmao

We're at 370 now so it was 360. It ended with one of the bodyguards that was under control of Momoze's Nen beast running at Kurapika.

I really hope we get more action in the next set of chapter releases. Text dumps with picture backgrounds are nice and all for exposition
, not really as it ends up being lazy story telling most of the time but I don't want to get into it,
but I really want this arc to get going. It's already at a snails pace and the release schedule certainly doesn't help it. Maybe sometime in the future the flow of the arc is going to feel better once all the chapters are released *cough* One Piece Dressrosa arc *cough*, but right now it's too slow for my liking. That being said I am still enjoying the new chapters and the political intrigue of the Succession War.

i think it'd be better if he goes with a monthly schedule. Less pressure, 30-40 pages a month, the plot could go somewhere, no more breaks. Hire some assistants and get help from his amazing wife, and voilá.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, moving away from the hiatus talk to discuss the chapter, I wonder who the user of "Silent Majority" is?

It can't be one of the 4th's guards, as the killer was surprised by Muhan's stupidity, and it can't be Yurikov or Loveely. Vareleinte seems like a real shitbag and might even be Momoze's killer, but I have to wonder why he'd choose his own teammate as the first target. I don't suspect Harkenburg's guards because they seem to be there to learn about the "hand feathers," or Zhang Lei and Tubeppa's because they seem genuinely interested in becoming Kurapika's allies.

It could be Bhavi, and his conversation with Yurikov was just meant to keep his colleague in check while he makes his move. Not to mention, the user apparently has a list of targets, which seems like something the elder princes would be most likely to provide. Yuuri, the other maid, is also very possible because she'd have the easiest time possessing Loveely. Slacker has also been largely silent throughout this, though his one line this chapter suggests he's familiar with Muhan, when the killer clearly wasn't.

Lots of possibilities.

Whoever it is has been targeting the prince Kurapika has been protecting for a while now. This isn't the first time we've seen someone on this team killed by this ability.

LotusHD

Banned
We're at 370 now so it was 360. It ended with one of the bodyguards that was under control of Momoze's Nen beast running at Kurapika.

I really hope we get more action in the next set of chapter releases. Text dumps with picture backgrounds are nice and all for exposition
, not really as it ends up being lazy story telling most of the time but I don't want to get into it,
but I really want this arc to get going. It's already at a snails pace and the release schedule certainly doesn't help it. Maybe sometime in the future the flow of the arc is going to feel better once all the chapters are released *cough* One Piece Dressrosa arc *cough*, but right now it's too slow for my liking. That being said I am still enjoying the new chapters and the political intrigue of the Succession War.

True. That said, Dressrosa was nowhere near as bad as this. Only time I felt impatient was when we were waiting for Luffy to recover so that he could defeat Doflamingo. Meanwhile this arc feels like we have a lot more to go, and I'm frankly a bit bored due to the excessive text and such, as well as the numerous characters being introduced whose faces/names I have yet to memorize due to the majority of them sort of blending in for the most part. It's the first arc that I'm experiencing through the manga, so yea, it's obviously taking some getting used to (Couldn't even imagine having to read the Chimera Ant arc weekly, and y'all said that shit took 8 years?!), especially since I'm coming off of an actually great anime adaptation.

Now it's on hiatus, and well... I'm not really that torn up about it, haven't really been feeling this arc so far, outside of bits and pieces here and there like the sadistic prince. Main thing keeping me going right now is the eventual reunion between Kurapika and the Spiders.

Yonafunu

I often enjoy Togashi's set-ups more than the fights themselves, so this is all gold to me.
That's why I initially wasn't the biggest fan of the way the Hisoka vs Chrollo fight happened, in the middle of setting up the (much more interesting) Black Whale arc.

That said, it ultimately turned out to be part of that set-up, so jokes on me I guess.

Kyuur

I saw some people suggesting Bill. We know nothing about his ability and he's been around since the rest of the bodyguards were attacked by the same ability.

I'm actually a little confused because it seems like Silent Majority needs to curse someone besides the person it kills, yet the first person we saw murdered was alone in the toilet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I saw some people suggesting Bill. We know nothing about his ability and he's been around since the rest of the bodyguards were attacked by the same ability.

I'm actually a little confused because it seems like Silent Majority needs to curse someone besides the person it kills, yet the first person we saw murdered was alone in the toilet.

Why would Bill kill teammates?

Yea, Silent Majority is going to be interesting to see in action.

Kyuur

It's a good question. He didn't know anything about the succession war so there wasn't really a reason for him to take out the higher Queen's guards. We don't really know much about him other then the fact that he works for Pariston.

It can't be any of Benjamin's people because they weren't authorized for action until later.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's a good question. He didn't know anything about the succession war so there wasn't really a reason for him to take out the higher Queen's guards. We don't really know much about him other then the fact that he works for Pariston.

It can't be any of Benjamin's people because they weren't authorized for action until later.

Could it be one of the handmaidens? Silent Majority does kinda look female.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
why? it's still amazing.

would love to hear your reasoning tho!

Because at this rate its either going to have a shitty ending like YYH when he gives up the ghost or no ending at all when he suddenly dies of some crippling ailment caused by manga writing. There's just no way it doesn't end in tragedy or disappointment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Lot of sour grapes in here. The story is still putting out the quality everyone expects and for once we have a more concrete date for its return and the break is far shorter than its been in a long time. Combine that with the fact Togashi seems in far better spirits and doesn't go on about his back any more means hopefully we are getting back to at least a semi consistent release schedule. People should be excited or at least a little relieved.

Lot of sour grapes in here. The story is still putting out the quality everyone expects and for once we have a more concrete date for its return and the break is far shorter than its been in a long time. Combine that with the fact Togashi seems in far better spirits and doesn't go on about his back any more means hopefully we are getting back to at least a semi consistent release schedule. People should be excited or at least a little relieved.
Godless Man whines too much.

Daingurse

Because at this rate its either going to have a shitty ending like YYH when he gives up the ghost or no ending at all when he suddenly dies of some crippling ailment caused by manga writing. There's just no way it doesn't end in tragedy or disappointment.
Then so be it. All I know is ending it now arbitrarily wouldn't be some gift for me. HxH is my favorite manga of all time. Having it continue forward in any fashion is far more preferable than killing it off prematurely.

Didn't Togashi say at some point that he already wrote the rest of HxH that his wife would finish it if he died? Personally, I'd like to see what others have suggested and have him send the script to Madhouse for them to adapt.

Also, just what exactly is wrong with his back? Someone has to direct him to one of those experimental "cyber-knife" facilities that specialize in miracle surgeries for back pain.

ElFly

just have Togashi do his ant-saga scribbles again, and have assistants pretty it up for the volumes later, if it means Togashi is less burdened by the manga

those scribbles had a lot of personality

having it end at the election arc makes no sense because the whole point of it was to introduce the Zodiacs and power struggles way above what Gon and his friends were used to deal with

...then again YYH ended just after a huge tournament where a ton of new characters were introduced, where the protagonist gang were basically side characters to a new slate of characters in power struggles way above the paygrade of the protagonists, and that set up a whole new order for the world, but I always felt that YYH's ending was rushed

caliph95

Funny both The Dark Tournament and Chimera were the best arcs hxh and YYH and both had overwhelmingly powerful enemies that later turn out to be B class

Though it wasn't a power level in HxH
...then again YYH ended just after a huge tournament where a ton of new characters were introduced, where the protagonist gang were basically side characters to a new slate of characters in power struggles way above the paygrade of the protagonists, and that set up a whole new order for the world, but I always felt that YYH's ending was rushed
It was

Togashi apparently got sick of it after he wasn't let to do what he wanted to do

Togashi is a good artist, boy I tell ya!

DJMK-00UMAAJH_J.jpg:large
FlOLxYP.png
Added that Pouf one myself for here. That's how it looked as he went into that cocoon-thing when he first stood off with Morel

Top Bottom