• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Snakeyes

According to a TOC translation, Togashi's message is that he'll be back before the year ends. That's something at least.

Not buying it. For all we know, he'll drop one or two chapters just to make good on his promise then peace out 'til next summer.

Daingurse

Sigh, well it was good while it lasted! I'll be patiently waiting Togashi.

Thursdays are going to feel hollow now. One Piece just doesn't scratch the same itch as HxH. I wish Toriko was still going lol.

woopWOOP

Ah, that's too bad.
According to a TOC translation, Togashi's message is that he'll be back before the year ends. That's something at least.
... but this doesn't sound that bad. Two+ months of releases with a couple of months of hiatus sprinkled in between sounds like an alright schedule to continue with.
It certainly beats the two years breaks from before atleast.

Start reading One Piece?
I'll probably start MHA.
The first or second group they fought has more weight and tension than the whole TOP
The Dark Tournament does a much better job of laying down the stakes and adding tension. Nobody really wants to be in this thing and they really are fighting for their lives. Nothing really happens in the TOP. Yeah sure, your whole universe gets erased but I only care about like 6 people in the show any way so who gives a fuck. I only really like Hit, Kale, Caulifla and that might even be it. Fuck Cabbage though.

Philippo

I was already fine with a hiatus 'till next summer (as long as we get chapters every year), but him coming back for x chapters before the year's end is a pleasant surprise.

GhostBed

Break isn't surprising but it still hurts. 😢

Maybe he's partially taking time off to plan? I would imagine a story this complicated would take a while to write.

Nibel

I believe in you Togashi-san
EWmof.gif

RR30

Welp guess I'm back down to Kingdom, MHA and (begrudgingly) OP as the series I read every week.

I hope that is true and he'll be back before the end of the year. This arc has been fantastic.

Mael

Oh well...
Guess it was to be expected.
As a side note, Boruto is the worst.
It's like Naruto but the release schedule is so fucking erratic that when you get a boring chapter you only have to wait for the week after to be disappointed again.
Feels like Togashi further fleshed out everything about Nen...or maybe he just felt like releasing that info...

Mael

I will never read Boruto.

That's my main flaw in reading mangas, I don't know when to cut my losses.
I fucking read Bleach the whole way through and I was justifying to myself that it was better than it really was.
Toriko's rushed ending was a million time better anything Bleach did after the Soul Society arc.
I'm even wondering if someone couldn't rewrite Bleach so that Urahara would be the real villain and keep most of the plot intact but with actual plot and actions that makes sense this time.

No one is, it's just a fucking awful arc to have an hiatus with this snail pace. We basically will have to read it all over again every year for at least the next 4 years, if we are lucky.

I spent the better half of a decade reading the ant arc, it's fucking good so it's ok.
We're probably in the Gon&Killua go on an adventure with Kite part of the arc.
It's a slow burn and all the pieces are getting in their places...

e: next week is going to suck,
HxH and OP BOTH in hiatus?

I fucking read Bleach the whole way through and I was justifying to myself that it was better than it really was.
Toriko's rushed ending was a million time better anything Bleach did after the Soul Society arc.
I'm even wondering if someone couldn't rewrite Bleach so that Urahara would be the real villain and keep most of the plot intact but with actual plot and actions that makes sense this time.

I spent the better half of a decade reading the ant arc, it's fucking good so it's ok.

Wait, how long is the Ant arc? I started reading HxH in my senior year of high school which was in 2013/14. But it has been around for a decade?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, how long is the Ant arc? I started reading HxH in my senior year of high school which was in 2013/14. But it has been around for a decade?

The Ant arc started in 2003, eventually ending in 2011.
On a regular schedule, the Ant arc would only take about 2 and a half years.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, my main issue with Boruto is that I didn't like the new art style. Just watching the anime instead.

Also, only HxH is on hiatus, One Piece is on it's scheduled break.

Mael

Nah, my main issue with Boruto is that I didn't like the new art style. Just watching the anime instead.

Also, only HxH is on hiatus, One Piece is on it's scheduled break.

Don't worry everything that happens inside isn't all that great either.
It wouldn't exists without Naruto and I doubt it would have had an anime if it wasn't related to Naruto either.

also Hiatus is "I'm not gonna read shit this week" for me.

Berserk is in hiatus, Nana as well, HxH is going to be as well as OP.
Heck at this point HxH is on scheduled break with a scheduled return that they haven't communicated.

A person can enter high school and exit college in the span that it took Togashi to finish that arc...that's...scary. It's like a Berserk boat ride.

Hopefully Togashi isn't asking Miura to hold his beer...

Snakeyes

The Ant arc started in 2003, eventually ending in 2011.
On a regular schedule, the Ant arc would only take about 2 and a half years.

And on Togashi's current schedule of 10 chapters a year, it would have taken a whopping 13 years to reach its conclusion. At this point I'm honestly starting to consider dropping this manga despite the current arc ticking all the right boxes for me and having the potential to be one of my favorite pieces of fiction to date. The dude is 51 years old, and whatever physical or mental issues preventing him from doing even a third of the work of your average manga artist aren't likely to get better as he gets older.

Unless he finally hires assistants to do most of his work or decides to turn HxH into a light novel, how are we supposed to get through what is setting up to be a 150+ chapter arc based on the current pacing at Togashi's current pace, without it ending abruptly? He was struggling to draw in his 30s and 40s, are we expecting him to keep going when he's well into his 60s?

Welp guess I'm back down to Kingdom, MHA and (begrudgingly) OP as the series I read every week.

I hope that is true and he'll be back before the end of the year. This arc has been fantastic.
Just Kingdom and OP for me. I'm thankful for the chapters we received in this batch though.

Burbeting

Banned
It feels pretty apparent that he drew these chapters over the past year. Which isn't a bad thing at all, it seems like way more healthy procedure than making these every week.

Daingurse

To be fair HxH is already one of my fav piece of fiction for everything Togashi did so far.
Everything more is bonus as far as I'm concerned.
This is me every new chapter of HxH
Lol. That's where I'm at. Getting any chapters feels like a damn blessing.

Yonafunu

It's no use worrying about when the next hiatus starts or ends. Read the chapters when they're out, move on when they're not. You'll get used to it.

zero_suit

To be fair HxH is already one of my fav piece of fiction for everything Togashi did so far.
You echo my thoughts. And if Togashi really starts up again later this year, this haitus will be nothing compared to the past.

remz

Basically.

My first hiatus was the longest uninterrupted 80 week one so the ones that have come after don't seem so bad. I hope this next chapter is a bombshell!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yo we could be getting more chapters in like 3 months time. That's an incredible thing to say for HxH in general so I have no issues with a hiatus if its going to be a relatively short one. Not too mention Togashi in general sounds to be in pretty good spirits lately and seems to be a lot more active in general which hopefully bodes well for the continued release schedule.

Oh Togashi's comment from ch. 370

I received some donbei [noodles] from Nissin Foods as a resurrection prize, so I'll be back once more within the year.

Kreed

Togashi should just switch to a different schedule he can work with. Every two weeks, monthly, just something where he can be more consistent.

Good god. I feel sorry for you all.

By the time the arc was over I hated it/was just glad it was ending. Rereading it/watching the anime helped me appreciate the arc afterwards.

Togashi should just switch to a different schedule he can work with. Every two weeks, monthly, just something where he can be more consistent.

By the time the arc was over I hated it/was just glad it was ending. Rereading it/watching the anime helped me appreciate the arc afterwards.
It's best to just binge Chimera Arc, it's easier to follow...I would assume and easier to appreciate, grasp and remember the themes Togashi is trying to do with it.

Togashi and GRRM both got me fucked up :( I only hopped in on HxH a few years ago. I'll get used to this as well.

I kinda wish hed just write a story continuation for Madhouse to adapt.

Edit - just read it will only be a few month break. I'll take it. A few months on a few months off is fair. Togashi's priority should be his health. He's already given us a fantastic story which he could have wrapped up with Gon meeting his father.

Top Bottom