• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter Wii U and Vita Ports Cancelled | Dev Health and Engine Concerns

hyper_light_drifter_t.jpg

Just came through on the kickstarter update. Native ports were not an option for Vita/Wii U so Hyper Light Drifter would have had to been recreated from scratch in a new engine. Doing that and keeping the main game updated was going to be too much work and was negatively impacting the developer health.

Folk can either switch their Vita/Wii U codes to a platform the game already released on or request a refund.
support@heart-machine.com

Video breaks it down very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFvzI0xGgTg&feature=youtu.be

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean good for the dev for putting his foot down and not risking his health, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Taxman

I hope the guy gets better.

On another note, this is like the 5th Kickstarter that I've supported as a WiiU owner and had to get a refund on. I would really appreciate it if devs would figure out if the WiiU can support their game before they start instead of cutting it 1.5 years later.

entremet

Requesting refund as we speak.

I'd like to wish the developer good health.
I think it's more about such a lean shop supporting so many platforms.

It does not sound sustainable for their size, so they are cutting their losses.

But they seem fine.

I was looking forward to get this on WiiU, but yeah, health is more important. Maybe on NX later, if not I'll get it on Steam down the road.

Wish him all the best.

Shizuka

Fuuuuuuuck. I mean, I wish the best for the developer, but hell if I wasn't looking forward to playing the game on my Vita.

A lot of these KS devs bite off way more than they can chew in a desperate attempt to get funded.

The game doesn't look all that impressive. It looks like it could run on generation 6 hardware easily...

Honestly, it's a really, really impressive game.

Ridley327

The game doesn't look all that impressive. It looks like it could run on generation 6 hardware easily...

It's not a matter of graphical fidelity. If engine support isn't there, then it's not going to happen without heavily reworking the game.

sfried

I think it's more about such a lean shop supporting so many platforms.

It does not sound sustainable for their size, so they are cutting their losses.

But they seem fine.
I'm still going to choose to get my refund regardless. I had the same issue with Cosmochoria.

CrisKre

This is my GOTY so far. I really hope they can port it to NX since im sure it would do great on a Nintendo system. And also, take care developer!!! Can´t wait to see what this guys do next.

Shredderi

Yeah it's sad but don't fucking kill yourself over a game. The dev apparently has had some real health problems so better not to make it worse by overworking and stressing yourself to death.

Eumi

That sucks, was kinda hoping to play it on vita.

Devs should really think carefully before promising ports they can't deliver on. I'm sure they're just as irritated by it as we are but still.

Shizuka

Did they ask Gio Corsi?

I feel like developers should contact Sony before promising a PlayStation port, instead of people asking them to contact Gio Corsi to clean up the mess.

Not that I don't want it, because I do, but that is getting tiresome.

Tapejara

I was holding out for the Vita version myself, but I'll pick it up on Steam or PS4 now. Wish the dev all the best and I hope his health improves!

CronoShot

Dear Kickstarter devs:

Stop promising things unless you're completely sure you can deliver them.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Can't blame him at all for this. As a fellow gamedev with serious health issues, I wish him the best.

I don't think you understand how game engines work.

I have a game that I want to port to Wii U that is optimized so well it could probably even run on a GameCube, yet I can't port it because Nintendo dropped the ball on UE4 support. If the engine isn't there, you can't do jack, unless you're up for the enormous and costly task of porting an entire AAA engine programmed by hundreds of people over many years.

So he promised a game for Wii U and Vita, then built and developed it in such a way that it could never be ported to Wii U and Vita?

Shizuka

And I don't get the "we'll be lucky if CSH is released for the Vita" when the port is being developed alongside with the game and both are almost done at this point.

So he promised a game for Wii U and Vita, then built and developed it in such a way that it could never be ported to Wii U and Vita?

For Wii U they were shown a native port option for Wii U back in 2013 but the owners of the GameMaker engine and Nintendo "couldn't come to an agreement" in the time since then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No harm no foul--he's offering refunds or replacement keys--but I am surprised that they wouldn't just hire a port studio to do this. I get why they can't do the port, I get why Game Maker's maker can't do the port. That makes tons of sense. But I'm surprised there's not an outsourcing dev that could make this work economically for them. I would expect you could do it for high five figures low six and that it'd be marginally profitable. Whatever, though, the worst harm done is a broken heart for anyone who wanted it on Wii U or Vita.

Side note: a lot of KSes from 2013-2014 that ran into delays and extended development are facing the prospect of cancelling Xbox 360, PS3, Vita, 3DS, or Wii U ports. I think this maybe should be a thoughtful lesson for people considering backing anything; if the game gets delayed by 2 years, will the platform you backed it for still exist? And if not, will you move on? Because if you won't, you probably shouldn't back the project at all. HLD did well enough that they can refund these backers, but some devs can't or won't. Caveat emptor!

Dear Kickstarter devs:

Stop promising things unless you're completely sure you can deliver them.

Sincerely,

Everyone

I mean, yes, but also who was hurt by this?

Drain You

Great game, own it on PC. Disappointed that the Vita version isn't coming out but health will always come first. Hope this guy gets his health in order and makes some killer games sometime in the future.

Good luck!

Ravidrath

That sucks, was kinda hoping to play it on vita.

Devs should really think carefully before promising ports they can't deliver on. I'm sure they're just as irritated by it as we are but still.

I think this a bit of a different case.

He made the game in GameMaker, which has a Vita version and promised a Wii U version.

The Wii U version was never approved by Nintendo, thus that was taken out of his hands.

The Vita option is there, but proved inadequate because they pushed the engine further than it had ever been pushed before, and the Vita version of the engine wasn't performing well.

In the case of the Vita, I suppose the best thing he could've done would've been to make that the target platform. But we'd likely have gotten a much worse and severely limited game in the end.

No harm no foul--he's offering refunds or replacement keys--but I am surprised that they wouldn't just hire a port studio to do this.

Remaking an entire game to be exactly like another game made in another engine is no small feat. And managing a port house is still a lot of work, even if you aren't doing it yourself. Not to mention expensive.

At some point a cost/benefit analysis had to have come into this.

Realistically, there probably weren't that many Vita or Wii U people, and the sales prospects on those systems are minimal now and will be even worse whenever any ports could potentially be completed.

Alucrid

Banned
No harm no foul--he's offering refunds or replacement keys--but I am surprised that they wouldn't just hire a port studio to do this. I get why they can't do the port, I get why Game Maker's maker can't do the port. That makes tons of sense. But I'm surprised there's not an outsourcing dev that could make this work economically for them. I would expect you could do it for high five figures low six and that it'd be marginally profitable. Whatever, though, the worst harm done is a broken heart for anyone who wanted it on Wii U or Vita.

Side note: a lot of KSes from 2013-2014 that ran into delays and extended development are facing the prospect of cancelling Xbox 360, PS3, Vita, 3DS, or Wii U ports. I think this maybe should be a thoughtful lesson for people considering backing anything; if the game gets delayed by 2 years, will the platform you backed it for still exist? And if not, will you move on? Because if you won't, you probably shouldn't back the project at all. HLD did well enough that they can refund these backers, but some devs can't or won't. Caveat emptor!

he talked about why he isn't handing to a port house at 4 mins

Bloody shame, it would have been gorgeous on the original Vitas OLED screen, and I'd have happily double dipped for it.

I'm well aware of the guys health problems from previous updates over the years though, and yeah, he absolutely needs to prioritise that over getting these difficult, niche ports done.

Tapejara

It seems to be a problem with Vita hardware, engine support and Sony's support. HLD isn't the only game that's had problems with its Vita version; Bastion had issues, Axiom Verge's Vita port came out a year after the PS4/PC release, The Binding of Issac's Afterbith DLC skipped Vita entirely due to performance issues (though it may still be coming based on a recent Nicalis Twitter poll), LOUD on Planet X's Vita port was delayed, and Salt & Sanctuary is taking a while as well.

Ridley327

I guess it's possible they didn't have the extra money to kick around to a company like Blitworks to take over for the ports.

Top Bottom