• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter Wii U and Vita Ports Cancelled | Dev Health and Engine Concerns

Ravidrath

It seems to be a problem with Vita hardware, engine support and Sony's support. HLD isn't the only game that's had problems with its Vita version; Bastion had issues, Axiom Verge's Vita port came out a year after the PS4/PC release, The Binding of Issac's Afterbith DLC skipped Vita entirely due to performance issues (though it may still be coming based on a recent Nicalis Twitter poll), LOUD on Planet X's Vita port was delayed, and Salt & Sanctuary is taking a while as well.

Our Vita version of Skullgirls took a year longer than expected because the hardware proved much different than it looked on paper.

Watch as soon as the NX drops a mysterious port shows up.

Considering Nintendo never approved the Wii U version of GameMaker, it'd be surprising if they were to fast-track an NX version.

Shizuka

Our Vita version of Skullgirls took a year longer than expected because the hardware proved much different than it looked on paper.

As someone who played and enjoyed Skullgirls on the Vita, I have to ask, since it's been a few months since it was released: was it worth it?

Shizuka

Sales-wise?

I don't have hard numbers, but almost definitely not.

tumblr_n0u7vdYPm31szj8x1o1_500.gif

RK128

Its a shame that the game is skipping Vita & Wii U, but if the developer's health is a big reason for why he cannot continue working on the game, I completely understand.

Engine not working on the Wii U/Vita is a shame too. Nice to see that refunds are being options for Vita/Wii U owners and they can swap those platform versions for PS4/PC/X1 builds instead.

Good move on the developers part. Making games is hard and its a shame to see a game being scrapped on Vita personally but again, health is critical and if that is in the way of game development, health comes first.

Hope the developers recover and the refunds go through for everyone who backed the game on Wii U or Vita.

I realize I'm lucky I have a PS4 that I can get my key switched to, but I think this is the right decision, considering what's said in the video. It's almost entirely out of their hands.

Anyway, I hope the dev (Alex) can focus on his health now. Best wishes.

Bummer. I had really hoped it could come to Wii U so I could own all the gyest characters' games from Runbow on Wii U (with Gunvolt on 3DS).

CMEwYM-WUAEro2G.png

Oh well. Hope the best for his health.

Chev

Dear Kickstarter devs:

Stop promising things unless you're completely sure you can deliver them.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Dear person-who-never-read-what-kickstarter-is-actually-about:

That's not how it's meant to work

Sincerely

Informed people

Permanently A

No harm no foul--he's offering refunds or replacement keys--but I am surprised that they wouldn't just hire a port studio to do this. I get why they can't do the port, I get why Game Maker's maker can't do the port. That makes tons of sense. But I'm surprised there's not an outsourcing dev that could make this work economically for them. I would expect you could do it for high five figures low six and that it'd be marginally profitable. Whatever, though, the worst harm done is a broken heart for anyone who wanted it on Wii U or Vita.

Side note: a lot of KSes from 2013-2014 that ran into delays and extended development are facing the prospect of cancelling Xbox 360, PS3, Vita, 3DS, or Wii U ports. I think this maybe should be a thoughtful lesson for people considering backing anything; if the game gets delayed by 2 years, will the platform you backed it for still exist? And if not, will you move on? Because if you won't, you probably shouldn't back the project at all. HLD did well enough that they can refund these backers, but some devs can't or won't. Caveat emptor!

I mean, yes, but also who was hurt by this?

4:01 in the video

Ravidrath

Wasn't it that nintendo wouldnt pay them for the wii u version of game maker not that it wasnt approved

I'm just going off of what he said, but middleware developers don't get paid by platform holders to support their system.

However, platform holders have to approve middleware for use on their system.

RK128

For those that own the game on Steam, is it too graphically intensive or require high specs? I checked the Steam Page and after looking at the recommended specs, it seems to run on my low-end laptop well based on the details.

With the Vita version scrapped, will just get the game on Steam (don't own a PS4) when the time comes.

Dear Kickstarter devs:

Stop promising things unless you're completely sure you can deliver them.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Seriously this. Do what you have to do for your health, but Kickstarter devs stop taking funding for platforms you're not ready to support.

golem

Sucks to hear. Really enjoyed the game and his Youtube series on game making. Hope he gets better soon

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Ugh, that's a real real shame. It would be such a great fit for Vita. Sad news, but hopefully this decision will turn out best for everyone.

Been meaning to get this for a while. This thread reminded me to finally do it. Got the version with the OST. Is the OST really good or something?

Just started it and it says it controls best with a controller. It showed Xbox 360/One and PS4. Are PS4 controllers compatible with macbooks? I'm playing the game on Steam on my Macbook

Disappointed. I went all in (think I did the CE with 3 keys). Guess I'll get the refund. This and that SE Collective game getting its Vita edition cancelled recently really sucks.

Ravidrath

That is horrible :(. The Vita version of Skullgirls runs great and I thought many people bought it.

Well, it's hard to know exactly how well it did in part because it was cross-buy here. And I don't have Japanese sales figures, either.

I'm going to see if I can track down some more representative data a bit later.

Seriously this. Do what you have to do for your health, but Kickstarter devs stop taking funding for platforms you're not ready to support.

The presumption of support for these platforms was based on Gamemaker's intent, and that didn't materialize.

He took them at their word, and for whatever reason they weren't able to follow through, and thus he had to make this decision.

jholmes

Dear person-who-never-read-what-kickstarter-is-actually-about:

That's not how it's meant to work

Sincerely

Informed people

Maybe you should figure out how Kickstarter works.

This guy asked for an additional $100,000, above and beyond what he asked for to make the game, explicitly to port the game to Wii U (you can still see this here).

I'd love to know how Kickstarter actually works, if you guys would fill us in.

Maybe you should figure out how Kickstarter works.

Please explain it to me then. Because when a Kickstarter says hey I want to make something for these platforms give me money to do so, it seems they shouldn't include platforms they're not actually ready to produce on.

Also explain to me why the only kickstarters I see have issues with this are game developers. I've kickstarted a shit load of things that weren't games that hit their deadlines and met all their promises. The steaklocker kickstarter I backed didn't suddenly become a wine fridge. The animated shorts I've backed didn't suddenly become live action films.

It's almost certainly a good idea for Kickstarter project runners to avoid tacking on add-on platforms that may or may not pan out, but at this point it should also be crystal clear to backers that any port promised for an unpopular and/or underpowered system is potentially vaporware and they should make pledging choices accordingly.

It's almost certainly a good idea for Kickstarter project runners to avoid tacking on add-on platforms that may or may not pan out, but at this point it should also be crystal clear to backers that any port promised for an unpopular and/or underpowered system is potentially vaporware and they should make pledging choices accordingly.

Yeah, I don't expect Mighty No. 9 3DS/Vita or Bloodstained Wii U/Vita to turn out very well, if they ever see release at all.

Phamit

Please explain it to me then. Because when a Kickstarter says hey I want to make something for these platforms give me money to do so, it seems they shouldn't include platforms they're not actually ready to produce on.

Also explain to me why the only kickstarters I see have issues with this are game developers. I've kickstarted a shit load of things that weren't games that hit their deadlines and met all their promises. The steaklocker kickstarter I backed didn't suddenly become a wine fridge. The animated shorts I've backed didn't suddenly become live action films.

Well and this 2D action game is still a 2D action game

The presumption of support for these platforms was based on Gamemaker's intent, and that didn't materialize.

He took them at their word, and for whatever reason they weren't able to follow through, and thus he had to make this decision.

I get that Gamemaker's is the fuckup here. There's still some responsibility to be laid at the dev's feet though. As a freelancer I can't take a job with an expected output and then go ohh well so and so never came through sorry. It falls on my shoulders to make it happen. It sucks for this dude, and no one wants to see him hurting himself physically or health wise to support a platform. It was more a comment in general about Kickstarters.

Many game development kickstarters set stretch goals to support a platform, or include a platform in their initial pitch. To me that's saying yes I know I can bring this to this. If you don't know that for 100% then don't list that platform, don't make it a stretch goal. Be honest with the people you're asking for funding from, and don't throw out pie in the sky hopes just to get more money.

Like I said I'm not trying to shit on this guy, I get his reasoning and all that. That said this isn't the first time a kickstarted game has dropped a platform, and I'm sorry but IMHO it's kind of shitty to take people's money saying you're going to make something on a platform and years later go ehhhhh never mind.

I just think kickstarter devs should have a better idea on their ability to support a platform before listing it in the initial pitch or creating a stretch goal for it.

Malakai

All the well wishes for the developer.

What a shit statement.

The game looks like an upscale NES/SNES game (not saying that is a bad thing). It looks very similar in gameplay to the first Zelda game on the NES. In all honestly, it looks like it would have been a very good 3DS game if released on the platform.

I just think kickstarter devs should have a better idea on their ability to support a platform before listing it in the initial pitch or creating a stretch goal for it.

Any Kickstarter project runner with two brain cells to rub together would have run screaming from Wii U and Vita versions if they were being completely sober and honest about viability, so I guess the question is whether a world where no one ever claimed or attempted Wii U/Vita versions of anything is a better one.

Ravidrath

Here is the strech goal for the Wii U: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/619187

What I don't understand is why even make the Wii U a stretch goal? (Everybody and their mother hate that machine...) Especially if the engine isn't going to support it then(from responses from my first post)...

GameMaker was going to support it, and then Nintendo never approved it as a supported middleware.

At the time he created the goal, there was no reason to believe that Nintendo wouldn't approve a middleware on their platform.

Dang, I'm really glad I didn't back it (almost did but had way too much money on the Shantae Kickstarter already).

I guess I'll grab it on Steam at some point.

jholmes

Any Kickstarter project runner with two brain cells to rub together would have run screaming from Wii U and Vita versions if they were being completely sober and honest about viability

Why? This campaign was pulling in money, he guessed the price at a Wii U port at $100,000, people who were interested in it put in money and he got more cash to make his game. What's not viable about getting a whole pile of money in advance to port a game?

Vita and WiiU? Those platforms are dead compared to PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It's even out on Mac and Linux Why would anyone be upset about this or ask for a refund over just getting their ticket swapped to another platform?

And if all you have is a Vita or WiiU...what?

mStudios

There is no Gamemaker version for WiiU. The only way to archive a Gamemaker game on WiiU is by doing a HTML5 version and port it to WiiU.

But guess what, the HTML5 module of gamemaker is pure garbage.

I knew they weren't going to release a WiiU version since it was announced it. No way with Gamemaker.

p.d: My team and I were trying to make Gamemaker compatible with WiiU but at the end it wasn't just worthy.

GameMaker was going to support it, and then Nintendo never approved it as a supported middleware.

At the time he created the goal, there was no reason to believe that Nintendo wouldn't approve a middleware on their platform.

I need source on this, because I contacted Yoyogames MYSELF and they told me they weren't interested in making Gamemaker compatible with WiiU at all.

The game looks like an upscale NES/SNES game (not saying that is a bad thing). It looks very similar in gameplay to the first Zelda game on the NES. In all honestly, it looks like it would have been a very good 3DS game if released on the platform.

Do you not have your entire foot in your mouth yet?

RK128

Vita and WiiU? Those platforms are dead. Why would anyone be upset about this or ask for a refund over just getting their ticket swapped to another platform?

And if all you have is a Vita or WiiU...what?

Both aren't dead though :l. Each system is getting new games this fall and the Vita has titles announced for 2017 (both in Japan & in Western Markets).

Top Bottom