• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

Well, I've always owned a Sony console so I don't to jump ship; but I would have, if PS4 sucked. Moreover, a solid line of exclusives, a good history of great games, and PS+, make it a no-brainer for me.

Also

niu genracion an gaemz dood

I'm mainly a PC gamer, and the amount of games released there is really more then enough for me. But I need a console for playing sports games with my friends, and I don't want to be completely out of the loop when it comes to console games.

PS4 is the choice because of:
1. Sony is a console company I feel I can get behind and support. They feel like a company that want to sell what customers want.
2. I always liked what Sony has been doing when it comes to first party games.
3. PS+ is a great service when you want to try new games without to many restrictions.

dude819

I dunno man, there's been a lot more mentioned than game genre preference. Studio support, UI, console specs, console size, PS+, Vita support/crossplay/crossbuy/remote play, accessible back catalogs, no camera requirements, etc.

I meant more of the difference between me and the PS4 early adopters.

Some of those, like size of the console (my TV cabinet is plenty big), Vita (can't see myself having one), backwards compatibility (once new consoles come out, i am done with old games) and camera/kinect (if the NSA wants to spy on me, I have a cell phone, PC, facebook, twitter, etc so what is one more thing) are non-issues for me.

ymmv

Banned
+ Low price means more of my friends will buy one for multiplayer/co-op.
+ Better free-to-play game support (interest in warframe and planetside 2)
+ Positive experiences with PS+
+ Better digital download support this gen.
+ Better/Wider support of peripherals this gen.
+ Longer term support - PS3 is still going strong.
+ Superior hardware
+ Focus on gaming, across the spectrum, and strong indies support.
+ A history of more experimental gaming, not just waggle gimmickry (although there is some of that, sure)

+ More support from Japanese publishers
+ Output of Sony first party studios are so much better than Microsoft's reliance on a few tired franchises
+ No Kinect

I started last gen as a huge Xbox 360 fan but I burned out on the 360 after less than three years yet I kept enjoying the PS3. The bad quality launch hardware, the nickel and diming, hiding media services behind a pay wall, ads on the dashboard, the high cost of peripherals, Microsoft's growing emphasis on dudebro IPs, the lack of originality from MS' own studios, the constant money hatting of third parties instead of trying to create something new, I just didn't like it. I feel the same way about MS in general. After Windows 8 I don't have much faith in MS anymore.

Because I have become invested with many of their first party games.

Also, online and PlayStation plus. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not buying at launch. I'm hoping that when I do get it, there are some titles included that I want.

Oh, and the price lol

~~Hasan~~

when it comes to third party games. almost ... 99% of the games are on both consoles aside from couple of exclusives here and there.

so I will just buy the console that has the better graphics performance than the other. and that is the PS4.

+ I tend to like Sony exclusives. I love killzone, god of war and twisted metal. I am in love with the last of us. I like uncharted. way more games I love on sony exclusives over one game I love in xbox which is Halo.

1. Because Sony has a long history of having the most robust hardware in the console space
  2. Because the dualshock is the best pad for fighting and action games IMO
  3. Because of cross compatitbilty with other sony devices such as the Vita
  4. Because Playstation plus is a value properstition that justifies its price, even if it isnow the only way to play online multi
  5. Beacuse it is marketed as a gaming machine first, entertainment machine second
  6. Because Sony seems to have learnt from alot of their mistakes with the PS3 and have made hardware that not only is easy to support but easier to get the full potential off.

Thats just some of the reasons.

Midou

I want the best version. The Xbox One version will, without doubt, be that version. The game is huge and will sell well across consoles but I want better graphics and the DLC as soon as possible. I would never even consider waiting a month for it to come to PS4.

The general public probably has zero clue that is even the case but I do and it effects my decision immensely.

I understand the DLC argument, but why would it have the better graphics?

1. I'm itching for a next gen console bad enough to make irrational purchasing decisions.

2. I can afford to.

3. Rime, Destiny, Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, and the other inevitable games I'd prefer to play on console.

4. NHL 15. This series consumes a lot of my free time and isn't available on PC. Having a next-gen console by the time this comes out is important to me.

5. Several of my friends aren't PC gamers and will be buying it.

6. So I can contribute to the Great Console War discussions on GAF with some level of authority.

I might note that I plan on getting a X1 as well, probably next year when Titanfall comes out.

Ludist210

Honestly, this is about the only reason I can give that is at all truthful. I have a large PS3 backlog that should last me well through next year at the rate I go through games, but...it's a sexy new console and I want one.
I'm in the same boat. I've got quite a few PSN games to play through as well as Ni no Kuni, Star Ocean, 3D Dot Game Heroes (I bought my PS3 in 2011 so I'm very behind), Tales of Xillia (and it's sequel eventually)...plus FFX-X2 HD and KH HD Collection. I'm set for a while, but I still want the new system.

SJS

I want the best version. The Xbox One version will, without doubt, be that version. The game is huge and will sell well across consoles but I want better graphics and the DLC as soon as possible. I would never even consider waiting a month for it to come to PS4.

The general public probably has zero clue that is even the case but I do and it effects my decision immensely.

I'm honestly surprised that getting it a month early is that important to you, but I suppose it's something. I just don't understand; I'm a maximum prestige in every COD and I could really care less. Again, it's general consensus that COD almost always has better maps in its base mapset than it does in its DLC.

And what leads you to believe that the XBone version will have superior graphics? Looking at the specs for each console couldn't possibly lead you to anything but the inverse of that conclusion.

Caoz

I really like how Sony has handled his Playstation Network and PS+ products.

I would have never though of buying digital games when I could buy the disc version. The sales PSN offers has changed that.

No paying for multiplayer and particularly not paying to let me use Netflix on their platform also makes me think I am treated with more respect as a customer.

So based on their track record. I trust that they will offer me more for my bucks than MS.

That's why.

Dunkers92

Sony have blown me away with the constant stream of exclusives, especially late in this gen

I am completely ready for the next gen.

The price point is very accessible for me

Playstation plus is epic value. I adore the service.

Naughty Dog.

I guess when I look at the whole picture, over the last 2/3 years Sony completely won me over with their approach to playstation and it looks like they are continuing the same approach which is hugely appealing. Playstation is something I want to get behind right now and in the future

dude819

I understand the DLC argument, but why would it have the better graphics?

I am putting both together. My bad.

The top priority is the DLC. So my choice is between 360 and Xbox One. I will go with the next gen version so I get better graphics and early content with the Xbox One.

softie

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Japan Studios made some of the best games ever, I would be stupid not to go with PlayStation. Also because of PS+, best subscription service ever made for gamers.

Into

If i were to rank the top 5 best systems of all time, the PS1, PS2 and PS3 will be in that top 5 easily. And i say that someone who has been playing games since the NES. Sure taste is subjective, but the sheer volume of quality and quantity is undeniable.

They have a impeccable track record of delivering consoles with tons of games.

Whereas Nintendo is hit and miss with consoles, but surefire with handhelds, then Sony is the opposite, their handhelds are hit and miss but their home consoles are great. Nobody has the track record that Sony has, how can anyone deny the libraries and support that PS1, PS2 and PS3 have gotten?

I do not own any stock in any of these companies, nor does my 1 single purchase matter much in the grand scheme of things. So i purchase consoles that would best server *my* needs. And the PlayStation brand is the best bet

I bought a 3DS around launch because i had 100% faith in Nintendo's spotless handheld record. I did not buy a Wii U because i know their record when it comes to consoles

The reverse is with Sony, i did not buy a Vita, i will buy a PS4.

Midou

I am putting both together. My bad.

The top priority is the DLC. So my choice is between 360 and Xbox One. I will go with the next gen version so I get better graphics and early content with the Xbox One.

Ah, that makes more sense. Fair enough.

I will say I don't understand putting that much priority on DLC in terms of console choice, but different strokes and all that.

Ricky_R

I just like their first party offerings much more than those of their competitors. Since the PS1, Sony has catered to me successfully.

satori

Cheaper, love the exclusives games, really dig certain developers on the platform (TLOU im looking at you), PS+ have been an amazing value for me, having things such as netflix and hulu plus not behind a paywall have been amazing for my family ever since I decided not to get cable any longer, a lot of my friends are on the PSN etc

I could go on. But for me it seems to have more games I want to play where I can't find any where else. And that is the bottom line.

dyergram

No one game In particular. I like new stuff mostly and the remote play will mean I get to play more games and not have to wait for the tv all the time.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Because it will have the best versions of multiplatforms, the first party is strong (at least, assuming the unannounced stuff is, because the announced stuff so far doesn't interest me at all), I don't have to get PS+ to use the media apps, and the competition isn't better.

dude819

Ah, that makes more sense. Fair enough.

I will say I don't understand putting that much priority on DLC in terms of console choice, but different strokes and all that.

I spend about 300 hours per entry into COD each year. It is my number 1 game by a long stretch so getting new content for it is great and basically a holiday for me.

I also like the MS exclusives, like Halo, Crackdown, (I think) Titanfall a lot more.

Mr.Fresh

I get all Sonys consoles ever since the PS1. I know it will get all the Japanese games. I know it will get majority of western games. I like ND, SSM, SP.

Swarna

I've only owned a 360/Wii this generation console-wise (was hardcore into Halo 3 MLG and COD4) but I've been gaming almost exclusively on PC/Vita for the the past 3-4 years. It was hard to avoid some negatives but they were pretty important in my decision to switch to PS4 this time around.

1) I need a console for console-exclusives (like RDR and Bayonetta this generation).

2) It's the most powerful hardware-wise and of the same architecture as the Xbox One (unlike last generation) so that should lead to far more performance/quality differences this time around in multi-platform games (something I care about as a PC gamer).

3) I'm already subbed to PS+ because of my Vita and it's got a much better value proposition than the competition.

4) It's going to complement my Vita well.

5) All my gamer friends/family are getting it.

6) I prefer what I've played of the first-party output to the many years I've gamed on 360 and don't like Nintendo games these days (only have a 3DS ready for X & Y but that's about it).

7) I like Sony's overall policies in being more of an "open/free/less limitations" system rather than Microsoft's strong desire to do the opposite (myriad of paywalls, hardware certifications, premium prices on accessories, etc.). I like the 360 controller but I could've easily bought a third-party mimic of it for PS3 of even higher quality had I owned one.

8) This is the most important point for me. I feel like Sony is far more in-tune with the desires of their customers and is always genuine in their intentions/actions (even when they fail). Microsoft has this nasty attitude that makes me feel like they will attempt to nickel-and-dime me at every moment that they are able to get away with it. Their constant 180's don't give me faith with their goals. They are both businesses at the end of the day but the fact that they had such BS policies planned with regards to Xbox 1 apalls me to no end.

I'm cooI with people who have been supporters of XB1 since day 1. Brand loyalty/attachment to MS first-party/interest in media aspects are understandable. I will not lie, though, my jimmies are rustled anytime I hear someone planning to buy an XB1 after their 180's. It's not like their mindset has changed on what they wanted in the first place. They are still the same company they were before the reversals. What makes these individuals think everything is gonna be gravy when the guy who wanted to rape you decided not to after all?

A common argument I see from XB1 supporters is that they prefer MS games/controller and "don't care" or are "not affected" about the negative aspects of the XB1. If you're a casual who doesn't care about the future of games it is understandable (though it is still $100 more expensive...) but know that you are supporting a company to continue to do these things in the future and take it to the grave. For example, the only reason paying a sub for online console gaming has become the norm is because enough people (including me) allowed MS to shove their dirty stinky dong up their rear for 8 straight years.

Salz01

So why are you picking up Sony's next console?

Two caveats:

1. Don't mention price.
2. Don't mention negatives about any other platform.

Just give me the positives of the PS4.

Full disclosure: I am getting an Xbox One day 1 and have no interest in the PS4 but want to hear the positives about it from those who are getting it.

1. I like Sony's first party games better.
2. Not forcing me to get a camera, its optional
3. The internal hardware is capable of besting my current PC
4. The design of the system is sexy, not intrusive.
5. They have a clear vision of gaming, and communicate it well
6. My friends are getting it
7. I think Killzones reveal sold me in Feb.
8. Parts of online is optional not forced.
9. The vita integration as second screen is fantastic
10. Sony continues to support the ps3 hardware this year in 2013 with first party support. Shows me great confidence in how they will support PS4 late in its life cycle.

Dyno

I will buy a PS4 for the same reason I have bought the last three Playstations : These are awesome consoles that get a lot of games and are fully supported right up to the end of their cycle. Sony has always delivered and they still deliver.

That Mark Cerny lead the 4 team and made an awesome, dev-friendly GAME system makes me that much more excited.

Flatline

Banned
By far the best next-gen console hardware

Crapload of exclusives

Amazing first party studios

It's a no brainer although I still have a few reservations due to the online paywall crap.

SJS

I also like the MS exclusives, like Halo, Crackdown, (I think) Titanfall a lot more.

Halo isn't even being developed by Bungie anymore. It's a zombie of a franchise.

As for Crackdown, you'll have to pray it doesn't go down the path of mediocrity again like it did with Crackdown 2.

I spend about 300 hours per entry into COD each year. It is my number 1 game by a long stretch so getting new content for it is great and basically a holiday for me.

Well, it definitely seems like the Xbone is for you while others have put forth many compelling reasons why they would want a PS4. I'd say it is pretty easy to see why some would one console over the other.

And you couldn't possibly imagine people enjoying the exclusives from Sony? And while it's my opinion are more varried / better?

Top Bottom