• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] 40 minute Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain demo 1080p60 - 6/18 at 5 AM PST

witness

Man every demo is so impressive and all the tactical options you have is just incredible. I love the weapon mods you can do. Glad there's a lot to play this summer so it'll be here quickly.

It's the little things that impressed me, like the shadows of the spiralling iron work on Snake

Awesome lighting, I hope Kojima productions owns the Foxengine and not Konami, perhaps he will release it for others to use like the Unreal engine.

zzevYa2.jpg

None of tis will happen.The engine rights is owned by Konami, and it will never be released for public.

Gun Animal

I didn't expect this level of depth in terms of weaponry at all. It's really staggering.

Also, did anyone try playing Ground Zeroes as a straight-up action game?

Not only does it have some of the greatest stealth gameplay I've ever seen, but it's also one of the best third-person shooters I've ever seen. It's unbelievably fun, challenging and dynamic to take on all of Camp Omega as an action hero. And it totally complements the stealth side of things, too.

I'm tempted to make my first Phantom Pain playthrough a 'one life' playthrough, where I just roll with alerts and try to shoot my way out of them (rather than always resetting a mission once caught)

Yeah, that's how I've been playing GZ. It's most satisfying when you're playing the way you actually probably would in that situation: Avoiding detection as best as you can, and if you do get caught, defend yourself as you run away and find somewhere new to hide. Restarting the mission every time you get caught is a real buzz-kill, it's better to just replay the whole game over a period of years until you know it so well that ghosting comes naturally. That's how I feel about the rest of the series at least.

Coldzero

Kojima Production is not a company, it's an internal Konami studio. Everything is owned by Konami. Kojima and his team own nothing.

But I agree, the lighting looks great.

Shame, Konami could always release it and license it for professional use ala Unity and Unreal, probably be a nice little earner and better than micro transactions on skinner box mobile tat

Game of the Show right there! Loving the buddy system, the customization, the mission structure, and pretty much everything! Now if only we could get some Metal Gear Online gameplay

- Micro trans won't effect gameplay as expected.
- Customization is neat
- The vid does a ton of over explaining but it's a tutorial vid so who cares. I can already tell i'll beat those missions in probably half the time or quicker.
- 80's music ftw.
- Buddy system is cool but kinda makes the gameplay a tad too easy for my taste. Snake, rifle, and a car is all i need.
- Don't understand the complaints about Fulton. In every vid they release he does about 20 times but it doesn't seem all that necessary. I'll most likely only use it for special weapons and soldiers with good stats.
- Map does indeed look massive with tons of missions. Hopefully there not repetitive.

I wish they would show a video that's 100% stealth since these shootouts are boring to me. Honestly the gameplay vid isn't that much different compared to the ones we already seen. Now time for blackout. Need this game in my veins now.

Skux

I like that the third person combat is kind of slow. It gives time to weigh up your options and not instantly die just because you got caught out.

Lemondish

Oh yeah, that was never in doubt at all. I was mainly taking issue with the idea that The Witcher 3 doesn't run well and isn't a polished game. It really is.

Played it last night with significant dips in framerate each time I got near still water. Controls feel sluggish and the combat at 20 hours in feels so samey as to be needlessly repetitive. I understand the Witcher 3 does a lot right, and many of those things overshadow my nitpicking, but it really isn't all that polished nor does it run very well.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I lol'd at the 'Microtransactions are completely optional guys!' clarification at the beginning.

Game looks pretty sweet, tho.

DieH@rd

Banned
You can play as anyone?

Lol that's awesome.

Yeah, but only in free roam mode.

I presume that will level up those character faster. Also, that's probably one of the reasons why BB does not talk as much. Those side/freeroam missions are tailored to be played as anyone.

Gurish

Looks like a lot of complaints have been addressed by this video (enemies not noticing fultons, infinite fultons, microtransactions)

It still seems to be like you have almost infinite fultons, you have tons of money and you can fulton pretty much infinitely.

wow I SAID WOW !!!

That was INCREDIBLE :O:O

HOLY SHIT the options in this game are insane, and the GFX still are unbelievable! :O

Also does anyone know?
Is Afghanistan the only map in the game?
If not do we know how many maps their will be in the game?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
wow I SAID WOW !!!

HOLY SHIT the options in this game are insane, and the GFX still are unbelievable! :O

Also does anyone know?

Afghanistan is not the only map. There is an African map (precise location eludes me) as well, at least, and there are apparently more.

SomTervo

Played it last night with significant dips in framerate each time I got near still water. Controls feel sluggish and the combat at 20 hours in feels so samey as to be needlessly repetitive. I understand the Witcher 3 does a lot right, and many of those things overshadow my nitpicking, but it really isn't all that polished nor does it run very well.

Fair enough. I've noticed frame rate drips occasionally (probably once every 20 hours) and, if I'm honest, my momentum with the game has slowed down significantly since I hit level 20. Once the difficulty curve drops off and fights start to get easier I can imagine it will fall foul of repetition. Hopefully the main quest will keep me entertained. It feels less and less meaningful doing sidequests, too, because I get no xp from earlier ones. I'm tempted to start a new save on Death March and try to do every sidequest.

Indeed, I've got a gut feel that MGSV may beat out The Witcher 3. I think the depth of gameplay on the scale Kojima has designed will be unprecedented. And the Fox Engine seems so robust that it's going to be polished like shit.

SomTervo

wow I SAID WOW !!!

Also does anyone know?

Afghanistan - open world
South Africa - open world
At least one more open world, maybe two more

This will probably make available some new soldiers for Mother Base. I'm going to extract every single person in Camp Omega.

Yep.

We got a redeem code with GZ and also I think the prisoners we saved in GZ will be carried over. I imagine the only way the game will know is by your achievements. I don't think there's any dedicated 'import save' option.

Kazuhira

Spectacular,there's no other way to describe it
I grinned like an idiot with the enemy decoy thing,i wonder how many of us will fall for that.
Also,i noticed that fulton recovery has a limit now,not only a GMP cost.

Guys, question: do we know what importing the GZ save does?

1. Mother Base staff members!

2. Kojima said that players who own GZ will be able to visit Camp Omega again and carry out several tasks there, but he didn't go into detail. He did say that there would be a cool feature that hadn't been done in games before. Sounds interesting!

Also... Soldiers, POWs, and VIPs you extract in Ground Zeroes will carry over into The Phantom Pain as a part of your army, so that's pretty sweet!

Top Bottom