• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] 40 minute Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain demo 1080p60 - 6/18 at 5 AM PST

thabtoUK

who knows?
V has come to.

vhascometoktr6q.jpg

CHyO3anUsAAnu2t.jpg:large

That's it for the game? Onlt two maps: Afghanistan and Rhodesia? I really hope they show more big maps like those ar at leats the game will have more maps..

SomTervo

Hot damn. This is the Skyrim of stealth games.

Lol, as others said, I think "The Witcher 3 of stealth games" would be a better comparison at this point, if you're going for quality of gameworld and mechanics.

That's it for the game? Onlt two maps: Afghanistan and Rhodesia? I really hope they show more big maps like those ar at leats the game will have more maps..

Nothing confirmed, but we're quite certain there is at least one more area, possibly two more areas.

A Russian journalist almost finished the South African/Rhodesian segment (the second map), and apparently a press officer said he was "nearly 50%" through the story mode.

This suggests the story would have two more maps, if it's about 25% content per map. I think it'll be more complicated than this though, with a few smaller, unique maps later on, like Camp Omega, Outer Heaven or Shadow Moses.

jett

D-Member
Big Boss speaks perfect Russian. Kojima, why are you retconning again!

Unless this guy isn't really Big Boss. Spoilers.

Dali

I don't know if it's the presentation, the game, or a combination of both, but it's putting me back to sleep. Looks sort of tedious to play.

That being said, I'll probably still buy it.
I wouldn't say it put me to sleep but yeah it does look tedious. There is a such thing as too much. I prefer linear gameplay with tight, focused direction. Branching is fine but in moderation. I'm having trouble getting into red dead redemption for this reason. Really wish this game wasn't open world.

Shin-Ra

So, is David hayter part of the game or not? What was his tweet about?
Don't know about the tweet
but isn't his voice in the trailer?

So this demo was fantastic and all, but can someone tell me what Snake's fascination with goats is? lol. On his personal wall it was filled with pictures of goats. Some inside joke I must've missed perhaps?
What's not to like about Goats? They climb trees, faint, headbutt George Stobbart, shit, eat and they can be fulton'd.

ciddative

Big Boss speaks perfect Russian. Kojima, why are you retconning again!

Unless this guy isn't really Big Boss. Spoilers.

He's on record stating he is more concerned with making the best game he can than sticking to existing lore.

If a choice has to be made between the two, I'd rather the former.

So yes there are retcons, but not from neglect or oversight

neoism

Poor DD having to wait in the sun all day while BIg Boss smokes a cigar.

'Silent' mechs? Ok, I guess.

Too much god damn fultoning.

Enemy balloon decoys? Weird.

Not at all how I intend to play the game, but the flexibility in playstyles is simply incredible. I don't think I could ever comfortably use fulton recovery more than once per mission, if that. Completely trivializes the experience of infiltration and extraction.

Nice to see Kojima Productions logo back.
wow thats silly you are gonna have one empty ass mother base..

Shin-Ra

Lol, as others said, I think "The Witcher 3 of stealth games" would be a better comparison at this point, if you're going for quality of gameworld and mechanics.
I expect MGSV will be highly polished and mechanically sound at launch, not five patches later. Or never.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I still don't understand the "V have come to" line?

Kojima said in an interview with Geoff Keighley that V stands for Victory. Japanese studios were lacking behind other developers with lighting, texure rendering, animations etc. and so he wanted to create a new engine, the Fox engine. With MGSV they try to keep up with those western developers.

But I think it will also play a rule in the game for example a V was on Paz's stomach etc.

SomTervo

I expect MGSV will be highly polished and mechanically sound at launch, not five patches later. Or never.

TW3 is both highly polished and mechanically sound. It's just incredibly large, creating a massive margin of error in terms of bugs and glitches, due to the game's unprecedented symbiosis of scope and detail. From what we know at this point, it looks like it'll be substantially larger than MGSV in terms of world size and actual volume of content. And personally I find all of TW3's mechanics fun and interesting, so that's a non-issue for me (though I know people who hugely dislike the combat). The patches have only yeilded marginal improvements for me, too.

I think Kojima and KojiPro are far more seasoned however, so I agree with you in that regard. I reckon MGSV will be crazy polished and just as mechanically sound as TW3.

DrBo42

Looks great gameplay wise. Pretty bummed that it's held back by old gen though, some of those assets...yeesh. A proper current gen MGS by Kojima will never be seen. So fucking sad.

Amazing demo, really can't wait till September.

Also can someone tell me what the timestamp is of Hayter speaking during the E3 trailer? Is it the second guy we hear talking?

Coldzero

It's the little things that impressed me, like the shadows of the spiralling iron work on Snake

Awesome lighting, I hope Kojima productions owns the Foxengine and not Konami, perhaps he will release it for others to use like the Unreal engine.

zzevYa2.jpg

ciddative

Kojima said in an interview with Geoff Keighley that V stands for Victory. Japanese studios were lacking behind other developers with lighting, texure rendering, animations etc. and so he wanted to create a new engine, the Fox engine. With MGSV they try to keep up with those western developers.

But I think it will also play a rule in the game for example a V was on Paz's stomach etc.

There is a certain rumour regarding the identity of V

280px-BossI15.png

"The Boss, also known as The Joy, The Mother of Special Forces, Mercury Lady and Voyevoda (Russian for "Warlord"),"

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/The_Boss

TW3 is both highly polished and mechanically sound. It's just incredibly large, creating a massive margin of error in terms of bugs and glitches, due to the game's unprecedented symbiosis of scope and detail. From what we know at this point, it looks like it'll be substantially larger than MGSV in terms of world size and actual volume of content. And personally I find all of TW3's mechanics fun and interesting, so that's a non-issue for me (though I know people who hugely dislike the combat). The patches have only yeilded marginal improvements for me, too.

I think Kojima and KojiPro are far more seasoned however, so I agree with you in that regard. I reckon MGSV will be crazy polished and just as mechanically sound as TW3.

MGS Ground Zeroes runs pretty damn well on Both PC and PS4.

SomTervo

I didn't expect this level of depth in terms of weaponry at all. It's really staggering.

Also, did anyone try playing Ground Zeroes as a straight-up action game?

Not only does it have some of the greatest stealth gameplay I've ever seen, but it's also one of the best third-person shooters I've ever seen. It's unbelievably fun, challenging and dynamic to take on all of Camp Omega as an action hero. And it totally complements the stealth side of things, too.

I'm tempted to make my first Phantom Pain playthrough a 'one life' playthrough, where I just roll with alerts and try to shoot my way out of them (rather than always resetting a mission once caught)

I didn't expect this level of depth in terms of weaponry at all. It's really staggering.

Also, did anyone try playing Ground Zeroes as a straight-up action game?

Not only does it have some of the greatest stealth gameplay I've ever seen, but it's also one of the best third-person shooters I've ever seen. It's unbelievably fun, challenging and dynamic to take on all of Camp Omega as an action hero. And it totally complements the stealth side of things, too.

I'm tempted to make my first Phantom Pain playthrough a 'one life' playthrough, where I just roll with alerts and try to shoot my way out of them (rather than always resetting a mission once caught)

I only like to use CQC disarm. Honestly I hate playing it as an Action game. Not because I hate action or I think the Controls for Action play is bad.

I just think its way more satisfying to get that S rank.

Rajang

It's the little things that impressed me, like the shadows of the spiralling iron work on Snake

Awesome lighting, I hope Kojima productions owns the Foxengine and not Konami, perhaps he will release it for others to use like the Unreal engine.]

Kojima Production is not a company, it's an internal Konami studio. Everything is owned by Konami. Kojima and his team own nothing.

But I agree, the lighting looks great.

Shredderi

The game is beastly. Kojima always likes to be on the cutting edge of things so can you imagine what it would be like if the game only came to current gen consoles? Damn.

Top Bottom