• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reveals SOME Revolution specs!

Ninja Scooter said:
i am still up in the air about buying a revolution, but still this is the best idea for Nintendo, and if i were in charge this is exactly the route i would have gone. Nintendo already tried going toe to toe with Sony/MS with the Gamecube and it got them nowhere. Things wouldn't have changed this next generation. Graphic whores and techies are going to buy an xbox or ps. Nintendo finally came to grips with the idea that they cannot compete on that playing field. This allows them to enter the market at a low price point and make the controller and VC the stars of the show. Hell, i don't even know if the Rev is going to be a huge success to be honest, but this puts them in a MUCH better position to make waves and be succesful than releasing some $300-400 super system that once again fails to compete with what MS and Sony are offering.

QFT.

If they weren't ever going to be within spitting distance of 360/PS3, then why bother even going halfway? Halfway is not enough; they would be painted as underpowered and no one would give them credit for being better than XBox. If you're not going to stay right on par, then you might as well go for bottom rung, to keep the prices as low as possible (for themselves, consumers, and developers).

Was there any other way to go for Nintendo? I don't think there was.

jett

D-Member
:lol :lol :lol

OMG this is hilarious...I haven't read the thread, but I'm guessing Ntots are going bubububububu IGN is always wrong!

Probationsmack said:
Werent the gamecube and dreamcast the cheap options last gen? Howd that turn out btw? ;]
Sega had its own set of problems.

GameCube was $100 cheaper than the competition for half a year, and later $80 than the competition for half a year, but mostly it's been $50 cheaper. It's quite possible the price difference between PS3 and Revolution at launch will be $200 or more. When the price of a launch PSP was the combined launch prices of GBA and DS I wondered if the same could hold true for PS3>=GCN+Rev, but I wasn't really serious at the time...

Ganondorf>Link said:
This better be a damn April Fool's joke. At least the DS was a gen jump from the GBA, this is still in the same gen!
DS also launched at a price 50% greater than GBA, though.

richman555 said:
This is also a very strange way to announce official system specs as opposed to doing it at E3.
This is not an official announcement of any type, but reports from anonymous people who work with the hardware.

Marlowe said:
This has already been said a bunch of times in this thread -- but to the people saying that these specs are "suspicious", what's suspicious about them? We've been told that Rev will be less powerful than 360 and PS3.
I'm not going to say this is some April Fool's joke, but it does just seem really weird that both chips seem to be almost exactly 50% faster versions of their predecessors without added features, would even use new names.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I don't see how only part of this could be true.

You can't just clock the same technology up to be almost 2x as powerful, and put in a 50x faster GPU, and expect things to work efficiently. The rest of the hardware would cripple the system, unless the GPU really is doing everything while the CPU does smaller tasks (woudlnt' really be a Central PU then).

Seems to me all of it's true, or none of it. If it's all true, then I don't plan on buying a Revolution until it and it's games are in the bargain bin. Audio and Video are central to the gaming experience. Gameplay is great, but not on it's own. The whole purpose of new consoles is for upgraded audio/video. And it's not like Sony/MS can't make their own controller either.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
Ok don't get me wrong, but WHY exactly does the Rev controller cost that much??! I realize the sensors that it needs...but come on.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jett said:

OMG this is hilarious...I haven't read the thread, but I'm guessing Ntots are going bubububububu IGN is always wrong!

:lol :lol :lol No, not really.

Edit: minus a few exceptions, I guess.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
$199 launch.

$99 hardware technolgy, $99 controller technology
(controller = wand, nunchuck, sensor bars)

So I guess those Pangya Golf screens from Tecmo are about what the games are really gonna look like at launch, hahaha

U508P115T9D143916F364DT20060302131936_c.jpg

boo :(

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
...broadway is the capital of live entertainment.

yoopoo

Banned
FiRez said:
LOL

the CPU is even clocked lower than the original xbox
Not really, Xbox had a x86 processor, GC 1.5 has a power pc chip, so its greater than 1 GHz when when comparing the speed.

teh_pwn

This has already been said a bunch of times in this thread -- but to the people saying that these specs are "suspicious", what's suspicious about them? We've been told that Rev will be less powerful than 360 and PS3.

Because the specs are much, much more comparable to the PS2 generation than this generation. There's hardly any reason to make new hardware at this point, rather than release a gyro controller for Gamecube.

This is why I asked why the "no unreal engine 3 for rev" thread was so big... the info has been leaking out for months now.

BTW, I think the rev will still hold it's own.

John Harker said:
$199 launch.

So I guess those Pangya Golf screens from Tecmo are about what the games are really gonna look like at launch, hahaha

there goes buying a second controller......

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AdmiralViscen said:
QFT.

If they weren't ever going to be within spitting distance of 360/PS3, then why bother even going halfway? Halfway is not enough; they would be painted as underpowered and no one would give them credit for being better than XBox. If you're not going to stay right on par, then you might as well go for bottom rung, to keep the prices as low as possible (for themselves, consumers, and developers).

Was there any other way to go for Nintendo? I don't think there was.

Yes have a CPU that's at least 1.0 Ghz and at least 128 MB of RAM.

John Harker said:
$199 launch.

So Nintendo is gonna take a $50 dollar loss on controllers?

jett said:

No offense, but this might be one of the dumbest things ever posted on the Internet. Bigot. ;p

Pimpbaa

teh_pwn said:
I don't see how only part of this could be true.

You can't just clock the same technology up to be almost 2x as powerful, and put in a 50x faster GPU, and expect things to work efficiently. The rest of the hardware would cripple the system, unless the GPU really is doing everything while the CPU does smaller tasks (woudlnt' really be a Central PU then).

Who said the gpu would be 50x faster? It doesn't need to be. You don't need much to render at 640x480.

GhaleonEB

beermonkey@tehbias said:
So many people, for months, have likened Rev to the 'DS' of console gaming.

DS = "underpowered", cheap, and has unique control.

Now we have confirmation that the "underpowered" part is right. We already know that the unique control part is right. So why the doom and gloom?
Because the thought of a realistic Zelda on something that approached the power of the 360 and PS3 would cause Nintendo fans to spontaniously combust. For at least the next generation it will remain a dream.

But that controller sure is neat.

Strike

If this is all true, then the the graphics will make us say "WOW" for all the wrong reasons. I find it hard to believe that all the R&D just went into the controller. I mean even gamecube was technologically on par with its competitors in the current generation. Oh well, six more weeks...

teh_pwn

yoopoo said:
Not really, Xbox had a x86 processor, GC 1.5 has a power pc chip, so its greater than 1 GHz when when comparing the speed.

Yes, that's true. Frequency is one of many components.

If they're clocking GC's CPU to that frequency, than it's definitely faster than Xbox's CPU. But still dozens of times slower than PS3 and Xbox 360's CPU.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ionicbluebird said:
This is why I asked why the "no unreal engine 3 for rev" thread was so big... the info has been leaking out for months now.

QFT. Mark Rein vindicated.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the controllers obviously won't cost $99. if the controllers were that expensive, there's no way nintendo would use them. $500 if you wanted to play four player? not very nice!

BUT MAYBE THE SENSOR BAR USES UNIMAGINABLY SOPHISTICATED ALIEN TECHNOLOGY

GhaleonEB said:
Because the thought of a realistic Zelda on something that approached the power of the 360 and PS3 would cause Nintendo fans to spontaniously combust. For at least the next generation it will remain a dream.

But that controller sure is neat.

It's even more realistic now because WE'LL BE SWINGING LINKS SWORD WITH OUR OWN ARMS!!!!

Duh.

teh_pwn

Pimpbaa said:
Who said the gpu would be 50x faster? It doesn't need to be. You don't need much to render at 640x480.

Someone was saying that Ati put a ton of money into the GPU (Hollywood?) or something and it was an independent project from Flipper (GC GPU).

sexy,
new controller,
3 DVD cases people!
Nintendo
Better than XBOX graphics wise
NEW CONTROLLER.

E3 will be informative for sureizzle.

I'll bite my tongue. I stated many times in the past that the Revolution probably wasn't going to be any better than an Xbox and Nintards frothed and raged over my comments. Now it looks like I'm right. I'm sorry I am, Nintendo fans. While you live in your tunnelvisioned world, playing only Nintendo games, we'll be experiencing gaming.

I hope you Nintendo fans are intending on buying a PS3 or Xbox 360. You guys will miss out on way too much by going Revolution only.

I'm buying Revolution but I knew it was going to be crippleware and stuck in the past. I'm not expecting anything special, let alone "teh wow", but as long as the Nintendo franchises are good, I'm still there. I was going to get it at launch but if these are the final specs, I'm not paying one cent over $150. I'm not paying outrageous money for Nintendo to snag outrageous profits.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
drohne said:
the controllers obviously won't cost $99. if the controllers were that expensive, there's no way nintendo would use them. $500 if you wanted to play four player? not very nice!

BUT MAYBE THE SENSOR BAR USES UNIMAGINABLY SOPHISTICATED ALIEN TECHNOLOGY

The $99 price isn't just manufacturing cost. They factor in R&D cost as well, in each product sold. And considering the hardware... I guess A TON of the R&D budget just went into the controller.

So $99 for production of the wand, sensor bars, and nunchuck attachment, the R&D add-on (total cost/units produced), packiging, small premium, etc, isnt so hard to believe

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ok, this thread is over 10 pages.... nows the time when the insiders pop-in to give us a little reasurance.... to tell us everything's going to be OK.

Beowvlf

Banned
If these specs are true (big if), this is a great example of what's been pissing me off about Nintendo and the REV. They boast and claim that they are trying to 'shake up the industry' and 'bring the focus back to gameplay', as if to imply neither MS nor Sony are doing that very same thing (which is the biggest load of bullshit spewn so far, outdoing Wall Guy and Killzone CG). And yet, they are completely abandoning any form of technological advancement, as if now that Nintendo fucking says so, it really doesn't matter.

Bullfuck it doesn't. This is a visual medium, and visuals have always been a huge factor in gaming, in every generation. Now, technology is evolving beyond just visual depth, and adding in complex physics, animation and AI. And yet Nintendo is saying 'screw that, we have a 3D mouse and Mario, and we're motherfucking Nintendo'. And some gamers are actually eating that shit up. It pains me how much I want the Nintendo of 15 years ago back.

Anyways, as for the DS comparisons, please stop it already people. Nintendo doesn't have a 99.9% market share of the home console arena going into this gen, and like it or not, graphics damn well matter for home consoles. The comparisons need to stop now, because they are nonsensical in every sense of the word.

mckmas8808 said:
Yes have a CPU that's at least 1.0 Ghz and at least 128 MB of RAM.

Yea, because no one would have bitched if they announced 1GHz and 128MB. They'd be paying more money to get the same reception and perception.

_leech_ said:
There's no reason why they had to go this low, except maybe lining their pockets.

which is exactly what any company that cares about business and profit should be doing :)

Nintendo doesn't owe its fanboys or anyone else anything, they're going to do what they think is necessary to make loads of money without losing any of it.

This is the same company that sells a Micro for $90-100 when it costs them less than $50 to make :lol

teh_pwn

PezRadar said:
True but xbox360 has 3 power pc =[ lol nintendo am cry =[

Still not comparable. The Power PC technology in the Xbox 360 likely has more efficient cores. So if you took one of the 360 cores down to the frequency of the OCed Flipper, the crippled 360 CPU would outperform.

fatty

Once Nintendo reveals the real name of the Revolution to be the Nintendo Chuck Norris, then and only then, will all doubt finally be erased.

Heian-kyo said:
If these specs are true (big if), this is a great example of what's been pissing me off about Nintendo and the REV. They boast and claim that they are trying to 'shake up the industry' and 'bring the focus back to gameplay', as if to imply neither MS nor Sony are doing that very same thing (which is the biggest load of bullshit spewn so far, outdoing Wall Guy and Killzone CG). And yet, they are completely abandoning any form of technological advancement, as if now that Nintendo fucking says so, it really doesn't matter.

Bullfuck it doesn't. This is a visual medium, and visuals have always been a huge factor in gaming, in every generation. Now, technology is evolving beyond just visual depth, and adding in complex physics, animation and AI. And yet Nintendo is saying 'screw that, we have a 3D mouse and Mario, and we're motherfucking Nintendo'. And some gamers are actually eating that shit up. It pains me how much I want the Nintendo of 15 years ago back.

its PR dude, stop gettign so emotional over it. Nintendo's just trying to keep their name and the revolution out there and in gamers minds. Guess what, the PS3 isn't gonna come with 4D goggles and the Xbox won't make you have lucid wet dreams.

Anyways, as for the DS comparisons, please stop it already people. Nintendo doesn't have a 99.9% market share of the home console arena going into this gen, and like it or not, graphics damn well matter for home consoles. The comparisons need to stop now, because they are nonsensical in every sense of the word.

i think thats kinda the point. Nintendo isn't going for the "gamers that spend all day on a message board and know how many polygons per frame their favorite games are pushing". They are basically going for a much more casual market. Its a risk, but a smart one to take imo.

Pimpbaa

teh_pwn said:
Someone was saying that Ati put a ton of money into the GPU (Hollywood?) or something and it was an independent project from Flipper (GC GPU).

Yes, that money could have been spent upgrading the GC GPU to include some modern features plus keeping it small and cool.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Ha, Mark Rein FTMFW!!!

The guy is awesome and I had the fortune to meet him at GDC. Heh, looking at these specs is great, Nintendo could never do UE3 I doubt even in a reduced fashion.

After all this, Silicon Knights is a big winner too. They left Nintendo probably after seeing some preliminary specs for REV and saddled with MS who has given them tons of funding to complete their dream game Too Human. Since SK is a story-driven epic game maker (like BioWare), they definately wouldn't want a system so underpowered. So I wouldn't expect any big epic games like Oblivion on the system now with these specs.

Strike said:
I mean even gamecube was technologically on par with its competitors in the current generation.

Yea, and what good did that do? People all over the country assumed it was weaker than both XBox and Playstation 2. What did all of that R&D and added hardware cost earn them? No mindshare, no market share, no sales. Everyone percieved it as less than it was.

Gahiggidy said:
Ok, this thread is over 10 pages.... nows the time when the insiders pop-in to give us a little reasurance.... to tell us everything's going to be OK.

Do you really want Nightfraud coming in and polluting threads like these again?

Dracos

No matter the outcome of E3, I can pretty much guarantee that crows will be placed on the endangered species list soon after.

Top Bottom