• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In children's Scholastic national mock election, Hillary wins presidency in landslide

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Kids pick Clinton over Trump in nationwide mock election - USA TODAY
https://apple.news/Az4A-KkrTSIW-bGg1fn1JXA

I believe the children are the future
Every four years since 1940, America’s schoolchildren have gone to the polls, casting ballots in a mock presidential election that has uncannily predicted the outcome of nearly every race — including all 13 contests since 1964.

This year about 153,000 students cast ballots. Their candidate?

Hillary Clinton, in a landslide.

The Democratic former first lady and U.S. senator garnered 52% to Republican real estate developer Donald Trump’s 35%. In all, Clinton, who is surging in the grown-up polls, carried enough states to win an eye-popping 436 electoral votes to Trump's 99.

Clinton needs just 270 electoral votes to win, and the poll-tracking website fivethirtyeight.com on Monday put her total as high as 345 electoral votes.

Among schoolchildren, Clinton carried nearly every battleground state: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Ohio. She also carried Alaska, Idaho, Texas and Utah, all traditionally red states.

Trump, who this week trails in virtually every real-life poll, carried Iowa and 15 reliably red states.

But this year’s fraught election cycle brought a few unexpected results. “Other” candidates — write-ins as well as third-party candidates Gary Johnson and Jill Stein — garnered 13% of the vote, an unusually high percentage. In years past, they've never risen above 5%. “Other” candidates this year actually edged out both Clinton and Trump in the District of Columbia to earn three electoral votes.

The election is a lock as long as you go vote tbh

Wiki
Each election year since 1940, Scholastic has administered the Scholastic Student Vote, a national mock presidential election. The results of the Student Vote have been correct in all but two elections, 1948 (Truman vs. Dewey) and 1960 (Kennedy vs. Nixon). At the end of the Student Vote, kid reporters have announced the results to the nation on the NBC Today Show in New York City. During the 2012 election, nearly a quarter of a million students participated, the majority voting for Barack Obama.
via Laevateinn

FairyD

Main stream media manipulating the results once again. I predict those kids won't make it to high school.

zelas

I would love to talk to these children Trump voters. It would be a great and honest window into the family and culture that surrounds them.

I remember doing this for the Reagan/Mondale '84 election when I was in kindergarten. I voted Reagan because that's what my family told me, and a female VP was entirely ridiculous to them.

studyguy

preschoolflyer.jpeg

Look at this propaganda piece of shit here.
"llama llama time to share" More like Llama Llama time for communism
"I'm not ready" For a KKKLINTON PRESIDENCY
"Get Happy" OR ELSE is the clear subtext here.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now we're going to see Hillary getting interviewed by PewDiePie and will be talking about Minecroft.

I remember doing this for the Reagan/Mondale '84 election when I was in kindergarten. I voted Reagan because that's what my family told me, and a female VP was entirely ridiculous to them.

Yep, me too. I was one of two kids voting for Mondale in my class, haha. That turned out to be a perfect sample size!

Speaking of which, this is pretty interesting. Kids vote how their parents vote. So unless some kids are just scared shitless of Trump regardless of what they hear at home, this might be a harbinger of a blowout.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is how The Hunger Games prequel starts, I'm sure.

Adaren

When I was a kid, I wanted Bush to win because elephants were cooler than donkeys.

My, how times have changed.

EMT0

Banned
While this is neat, there are a lot of kids who's parents can't actually vote, since a sizable number of them are immigrants legal or otherwise. In such a polarized political landscape between the crazy and the sane, I wouldn't use this as a projection of the results outside of Hillary winning; it won't be anywhere close to this much of a landslide :/

blakep267

My elementary school did this once. Al Gore won in a landslide. Also it was a pretty in depth process. We actually had to study policy and what they stood for etc. watched debates

Speaking of which, this is pretty interesting. Kids vote how their parents vote. So unless some kids are just scared shitless of Trump regardless of what they hear at home, this might be a harbinger of a blowout.

Thinking that's true. I know I didn't know anything about politics when I participated. I just did what I heard my parents talking about. I was actually bummed out though when I found out that our votes didn't actually count. When they told us we were voting, the teacher made such a big deal about it that I thought, for sure, that kids were picking the president.

A couple of weeks ago my 3 year old nephew picked up a toy phone and told my dad that he was going to put on a Donald Trump video for him to watch. It made me feel so icky to know that his little squishy brain has been relentlessly barraged with Donald Trump from all angles.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them rig the election.

I voted for Bush in my 2nd grade election because his name sounded like mush and I thought that was funny

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
When I was a kid, I wanted Bush to win because elephants were cooler than donkeys.

My, how times have changed.

I was actually an Al Gore fan as a kid but my family hated him. As an adult I look back and just think, "It makes so much sense now."

From wikipedia:

Each election year since 1940, Scholastic has administered the Scholastic Student Vote, a national mock presidential election. The results of the Student Vote have been correct in all but two elections, 1948 (Truman vs. Dewey) and 1960 (Kennedy vs. Nixon). At the end of the Student Vote, kid reporters have announced the results to the nation on the NBC Today Show in New York City. During the 2012 election, nearly a quarter of a million students participated, the majority voting for Barack Obama.

Both elections that were wrong were incredibly close.

IDAHO KIDS

WISE BEYOND THEIR YEARS

Maybe there is hope in the future of my state.

Also, the idea of children picking Nixon over Kennedy is deeply hilarious to me now.

AYF 001

Clearly not poorly educated enough to vote for Donald. Besides, if those kids were REAL American patriots, they'd already be working in the coal mines 12 hours a day for 10 cents an hour!

Maybe they should do a follow up poll and ask what senators to vote for?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
While this is neat, there are a lot of kids who's parents can't actually vote, since a sizable number of them are immigrants legal or otherwise. In such a polarized political landscape between the crazy and the sane, I wouldn't use this as a projection of the results outside of Hillary winning; it won't be anywhere close to this much of a landslide :/
Well yes but I feel that this just shows kids are less biased than their parents. Who knows how biased this election was tho.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them rig the election.

Children were a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Also these kids were all butter faces too. Who would want them? Not me. I'd never walk in unannounced into their dressing rooms.

/Trump

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kids just vote what their parents vote. These kids parents are likely to be in the 25-35 age range. That age range tends to vote might democratic these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom