• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

Gitaroo

True , this TV just has everything you need maybe except Dolby Vision and FALD. DV can maybe be firmware. They may firmware hd10 dynamic data in.

My complaint is its edge lit and have to manually change setting for HDR in game.

The Input Lag is amazing even in 4k HDR if HDTVTest is correct.

Im fine with anything under 50.

Like I said, bias lighting helps it alot and pulls closer to FALD levels

dynamic HDR 10 requires HDMI 2.1 according to philips doc, not sure that can even be patch it via fw update. But Samsung TV allow you to swap out the HDMI input box right? Can someone confirm if this is the case for this TV?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Does anyone know if the US model KS8000 can do bitstream out via the optical port?

I believe the model line below it can, so the KS8000 should be able to as well. There are options in the menu on the 6300 line to change between bitstream and PCM.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Quick random question: What is the best OLED panel currently on the market today(price doesn't matter)? Is it the current top of the line LG OLED?

Syrus

Banned
dynamic HDR 10 requires HDMI 2.1 according to philips doc, not sure that can even be patch it via fw update. But Samsung TV allow you to swap out the HDMI input box right? Can someone confirm if this is the case for this TV?
"It is not clear whether HDMI 2.1 is a hardware or firmware upgrade. However, Samsung confirmed to Display Daily that it will push out a firmware upgrade for its current TVs later this year to enable dynamic metadata for HDR. It is unclear if this update will apply only to 2016 models or if 2015 models will receive an update, too

Samsung’s promise suggests that a firmware upgrade is possible but Samsung might have been planning for it. Other TV manufacturers have yet to comment on the matter.
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1463138030#Ymli5tz8kZt8x0G8.99"

Otherwise maybe wed only need a new oneconnect box??

harz-marz

Quick question... I plan to get this TV as an upgrade from my old 1080P set which is running through an AV receiver (4K compliant)

Do I need a special 4K HDMI cable? Or is this all a load of guff that I hear in electrical stores to splurge money on upgraded cables that I don't need?

hookurs

I bought the JS8500 from last year, and Best Buy has the KS8000 on for 1999 up here in Canadaaa eh.

I'm not above selling my JS8500 and using that money towards the KS8000, since I sort of feel a little butt hurt with adopting a 4K television so quickly.

Can someone tell me I'm being a spoiled Sally and the HDR on the JS8500 is perfectly fine?

farisr

Anyone have experience with universal stands like this?
51uktu98pmlnxpcjxioqx.jpg

Coming across this is one of the reasons why a KS8000 purchase is doable for my room. Before the Sony X800D was winning by default simply due to its base being something that can actually fit on the place where I keep my TV (and there was no way to move things around etc to get a proper setup going, basically pushing the limits of my room as it is, wall mounting is not an option). The 49 inch KS8000's default stand/feet would be too far off the side. But something like this will work perfectly for my setup. Was just wondering if anyone's tried these types of stands, how stable they are etc. (already checked the specs, and it does support the VESA specifications for this model)

Quick question... I plan to get this TV as an upgrade from my old 1080P set which is running through an AV receiver (4K compliant)

Do I need a special 4K HDMI cable? Or is this all a load of guff that I hear in electrical stores to splurge money on upgraded cables that I don't need?
If you want to do 4k gaming, you'll need high speed HDMI cables capable of doing 18Gbps. I believe they were available before, but most people usually opted for the cheaper options when making their purchase.

Just doing a quick check, a 10 foot cable can cost as little as $5 right now.

harz-marz

Coming across this is one of the reasons why a KS8000 purchase is doable for my room. Before the Sony X800D was winning by default simply due to its base being something that can actually fit on the place where I keep my TV (and there was no way to move things around etc to get a proper setup going, basically pushing the limites of my room as it is). The 49 inch KS8000's default stand/feet would be too far off the side. But something like this will work perfectly for my setup. Was just wondering if anyone's tried these types of stands, how stable they are etc. (already checked the specs, and it does support the VESA specifications for this model)

If you want to do 4k gaming, you'll need high speed HDMI cables capable of doing 18Gbps. I believe they were available before, but most people usually opted for the cheaper options when making their purchase.

Thanks for helping

I bought the JS8500 from last year, and Best Buy has the KS8000 on for 1999 up here in Canadaaa eh.

I'm not above selling my JS8500 and using that money towards the KS8000, since I sort of feel a little butt hurt with adopting a 4K television so quickly.

Can someone tell me I'm being a spoiled Sally and the HDR on the JS8500 is perfectly fine?

Yes you are, you really won't gain all that much from upgrading to the KS range, I have a JS9000 and I thought that the KS would be a sizeable upgrade when it comes to HDR, it really isn't! I've checked out the 8000/9000 and whilst it looks good, it's not a step above the JS by any means.

The HDR peak brightness on a KS tumbles from around 1400 or so to 500-550, whereas the JS9000 and 8500 hit 570 in dynamic and doesn't fall much with sustained peak brightness, the only thing you'd gain is some better input lag figures 34ms to 21ms, and the JS range also support HDR in game mode, which pretty well assures that we'll get not much in the way of increased lag. Some guys on AVForums sent their KS8000 back and kept the JS9000, which the 8500 is close to.

Sanjay

I just got a 65inch KS8000 uk model so KS9000 for you Americans.

These are Youtube 4k captures.

Will soon try to run PC games and try Super Mario Galaxy and Dolphin Emulator 4k stuff, but one thing that I gotta say, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks bloody amazing on this TV. The OS is really good slick and fast, uses a Smart remote, you can pair it so you can use it to control other devices like Amazon Fire and you can speak to it too, Volume 100!

Yes you are, you really won't gain all that much from upgrading to the KS range, I have a JS9000 and I thought that the KS would be a sizeable upgrade when it comes to HDR, it really isn't! I've checked out the 8000/9000 and whilst it looks good, it's not a step above the JS by any means.

The HDR peak brightness on a KS tumbles from around 1400 or so to 500-550, whereas the JS9000 and 8500 hit 570 in dynamic and doesn't fall much with sustained peak brightness, the only thing you'd gain is some better input lag figures 34ms to 21ms, and the JS range also support HDR in game mode, which pretty well assures that we'll get not much in the way of increased lag. Some guys on AVForums sent their KS8000 back and kept the JS9000, which the 8500 is close to.

Eh... that 1400nit output makes a huge difference in my opinion, whether it's sustained or not. Real program material (as opposed to test patterns) moves and fluctuates in brightness and almost never asks the TV to continually blast out the brightest levels over extended periods of time. So the set doesn't really need to sustain that level of brightness all that long. HDR should look a lot better on this set than last years model.

Eh... that 1400nit output makes a huge difference in my opinion, whether it's sustained or not. Real program material (as opposed to test patterns) moves and fluctuates in brightness and almost never asks the TV to continually blast out the brightest levels over extended periods of time. So the set doesn't really need to sustain that level of brightness all that long. HDR should look a lot better on this set than last years model.

It does look decent don't get me wrong, but for someone to sell a model that actually has advantages over the KS, like dimmable black bars, and better motion clarity, it just isn't worth it.

mcfly1955

Neo Member
I hate buying TV's.

I'm still using my 50" Panny Plasma purchased in 2008, but I'm really wanting an upgrade in size to a 60".

I see I can order a 60" KS8000 (Us model) for around $1,200 - $1300 plus tax after eb8's/EPP and free shipping.

That seems like a killer deal, but then I keep reading forums and there are always people saying to just wait because something better is coming....which is always the case, but this sounds like it might be a bad time to buy-in - right?

I nearly pulled the trigger on ordering the 60" last night, but I think I'm going to try to hold off until next year -- the plasma is doing well, just wish it was bigger than 50" at my 8.5' viewing distance.

BruceCLea

Banned
All this video tells me

We aren't ready.....but companies are pushing hard for us to switch. Because everyone has a decent 1080p display for the most part now and are in general very happy with what they have. But right now we are in a push for sales as it starts to decline as folks don't need to upgrade their sets anymore.

I went budget for my 4k TV, bought the Sony one 800d, glad I did. Will look for full array in the future when I want to.

Even the KS8000 is a little expensive considering it's just another budget screen.

Especially one that has a rec2020 less than a $500 TV

What do you think of the Sony X800D? I'm really considering it over the KS800 since I'm waiting for better tv tech in the coming years and want a solid HDR tv that's under $1,000

NYR

Quick random question: What is the best OLED panel currently on the market today(price doesn't matter)? Is it the current top of the line LG OLED?
Lg G6

The E6 is the same thing without the same sound bar/base, so the e6 is the one to aim for , IMO.

I hate buying TV's.

I'm still using my 50" Panny Plasma purchased in 2008, but I'm really wanting an upgrade in size to a 60".

I see I can order a 60" KS8000 (Us model) for around $1,200 - $1300 plus tax after eb8's/EPP and free shipping.

That seems like a killer deal, but then I keep reading forums and there are always people saying to just wait because something better is coming....which is always the case, but this sounds like it might be a bad time to buy-in - right?

I nearly pulled the trigger on ordering the 60" last night, but I think I'm going to try to hold off until next year -- the plasma is doing well, just wish it was bigger than 50" at my 8.5' viewing distance.

Eh, I wouldn't expect to see a significantly better set in the next year. OLED will still be in the ~$2000-$2500 price range for 55", Vizio may lower input lag w/ 4k HDR on their LED backlit set, Samsung sets may be a bit brighter or bring forth dynamic HDR functionality (which according to Samsung is also coming to 2016 sets via firmware update), but I don't see anything groundbreaking happening in 2017.

2018? Maybe. 2019? Yeah, OLED or FALD will probably be matured and a lot cheaper at that point, and will probably be the way to go. HDR/4K standards will be firmly in place as well. But now you're talking about waiting three years. Three years is an eternity for electronics.

I say jump in now.

GazzaGSi

As this tv has the same feature (i have ku6400) has anyone had any success with the hdr+ feature. Mine just makes everything a bit yellow as far as i can tell. may as well call it a DE:HR filter. Strange.

I know its fake hdr so im not that fussed, just curious.

How do you find the ku6400 overall?
It's the set I keep coming back to as it's within my price range and max size I can have. I'm looking at the 40". I was intrigued by the firmware update with hdr+ in game mode but is it pretty poor?

I'm kind of limited on what to get with the screen size, it will be on a pc desk sat acouple of feet away if that so anything bigger would fry my brain but I want a TV with all the bells and whistles or there's no point upgrading my current Sony set.

harz-marz

I just got a 65inch KS8000 uk model so KS9000 for you Americans.

These are Youtube 4k captures.

Will soon try to run PC games and try Super Mario Galaxy and Dolphin Emulator 4k stuff, but one thing that I gotta say, 1080p upscaled to 4k looks bloody amazing on this TV. The OS is really good slick and fast, uses a Smart remote, you can pair it so you can use it to control other devices like Amazon Fire and you can speak to it too, Volume 100!

Wow nice. I got the 49inch UK KS8000 and love it so far. Is that Witcher 3 from a YouTube video?

I've found that YouTube content isn't that impressive so far. Any recommendations for good 4K channels?

harz-marz

You could always plug your devices directly into the TV and then output all audio from the tv to your receiver via Optical or HDMI ARC. This eliminates the need for a HDCP 2.2 receiver. Of course you'll lose the Dolby Atmos stuff, but I personally only have a stereo sound setup at home so I don't care.

I had this issue - my av receiver is 4k compliant but doesn't have 2.2. I tried to plug a HDMI cable from the arc on the tv to the arc on the receiver and got no sound. What do I enable on my av receiver to make this work?

For now I am using optical and it sounds fine. I've only 2 floor speakers, am I missing out on sound quality this way?

Elios83

Why the hell is the German model equivalent 3,299 €. Or am I getting something wrong here?

I bought my 49KS8000 in July through a deal at 1400€. Official price was 1799€ back then.
Don't know if you're looking for the 55 or 65 inches models though. 3.299€ are a lot though.

Wow nice. I got the 49inch UK KS8000 and love it so far. Is that Witcher 3 from a YouTube video?

I've found that YouTube content isn't that impressive so far. Any recommendations for good 4K channels?

Gamersyde.com offers the highest quality videos/screenshots.

Here's Horizon Zero Dawn's 4K gameplay http://www.gamersyde.com/download_horizon_zero_dawn_ps4_pro_demo-38055_en.html

Their streaming service is only 1080p/60 fps
To get 4K, download it to a USB drive and play it on your TV.

Haven't tested it yet but it says "3840 x 2160 (22893 bitrate)" so it's good. I think.

mario_O

The review from Flatpanelshd isn't very good, at least for HDR.

HDR is a major selling point for Samsung in 2016 but KS8000, like most other LCD TVs without true local dimming, has mediocre HDR picture quality. You get high peak brightness but at the expense of other things. The picture often looks washed out because with the brightness setting set to max (default). It is possible to turn down the brightness setting, which means that you get lower peak brightness but can still benefit from the expanded color space.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1468834358

I think I'll pass on this one, and wait for next year models.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It'll be replaced by next year's model. So you probably won't even really be able to find it next holiday.

I hate the TV market sometimes... it does feel like you need to go above a certain cost threshold to get a good model without bad blur/color trails effects or other issues. Low end models get relaxed by newer low end model with generally the same problems or even more corner cuts sometimes.

jeffram

Decided to pick up this TV at 60" because I saw it on sale for ~30% off (2,500 CDN). I know it has some flaws (as they all do) but It will have to scratch my Low input Lag HDR itch for now. Going to have to let OLEDs mature a bit, and pick one up in a few years.

dcx4610

Coming across this is one of the reasons why a KS8000 purchase is doable for my room. Before the Sony X800D was winning by default simply due to its base being something that can actually fit on the place where I keep my TV (and there was no way to move things around etc to get a proper setup going, basically pushing the limits of my room as it is, wall mounting is not an option). The 49 inch KS8000's default stand/feet would be too far off the side. But something like this will work perfectly for my setup. Was just wondering if anyone's tried these types of stands, how stable they are etc. (already checked the specs, and it does support the VESA specifications for this model)

That stand should work. The KS8000 has a rounded top half and a flat bottom so you'll need difference length screws and likely spacers for the top 2 screws. Those should come with the stand and if not, they are easy to find at hardware stores.

The only concern I would have is the weight of the TV and if it would fall forward. It's not a heavy TV but unless that base is heavier than the TV or has a way to secure itself, it doesn't like it would be stable.

Sorry people if it's been already said, but:

- Does CLEAR MOTION works in GAME MODE?

- How is backlight uniformity on 55" (especially on blacks)?

kvn

I bought my 49KS8000 in July through a deal at 1400€. Official price was 1799€ back then.
Don't know if you're looking for the 55 or 65 inches models though. 3.299€ are a lot though.

65. 3,3k seems to be correct then and I'm out.

So I got this tv yesterday and it's amazing. However I cannot get more than 2.1 out of 5.1 sources when running through the ARC (audio return channel) of the tv?

Like I have 5.1 files I play through it on the Samsung smart app by using my NAS from upstairs. They play and stream fine but only in stereo. If I play them through Shield they're in 5.1
Anyone know why it's only 2.1 files through Samsung tv ARC?

My reciever is a Denon x4200 and ARC is activated on both the tv and reciever as they're connected through the labelled arc hdmi ports of both.

axb2013

Sorry people if it's been already said, but:

- Does CLEAR MOTION works in GAME MODE?

- How is backlight uniformity on 55" (especially on blacks)?

My set arrives in 3 days, it's been a long week, 11 days from ordering to receiving because of white glove service scheduling but I had to have it shipped in a crate because of past experiences, two 55" monitors were badly damaged in shipping.

I've went to BB and Costco (basically same except for dark bezel) to check it out more times than I care to admit. In my time testing it at the stores, it's best to set it to "custom" and then set sliders at 0. Again, limited time and access but I thought I saw judder with motion tweaks. No motion processing worked well for me with console and PC content. Did not get to play PC games, the laptop they let me connect was barely capable of 4K/60.

Lesson I accidentally learned at Best Buy, watching a guy return the 50" for a broken OCB: The TV's are setup to hide backlight issues in the store, the brightness enables hiding it well. The return area was much darker and that revealed it. It was not too distracting for me even with default setting and those should be tweaked anyway.

If you look for backlight issues, you will find them. Changing settings helps a bit but does not get rid of it. Want to address backlight issues better? Let some daylight in or use ambient lighting. I don't see it as a critical issue so I bought the 65".

Brigandier

Picked up my 49" KS8000 UK TV today, amazing build quality really slick screen, fantastic blacks I wasn't expecting this level of black from an LED... I'm not seeing any clouding or any annoying patches like my last two TVs had I am very aware of a shitty panel and can see it a mile off so it was a great start.

Colours are deep and game mode.... damn can really feel the difference playing at around 20ms really enjoying the crisp detailed picture can't wait to play some 4k blu ray tomorrow

Stand is really sturdy and easy as 1 2 3 to set up.

Very pleased with this purchase well worth the money, roll on PS4 Pro.

jeffram

So I got this tv yesterday and it's amazing. However I cannot get more than 2.1 out of 5.1 sources when running through the ARC (audio return channel) of the tv?

Like I have 5.1 files I play through it on the Samsung smart app by using my NAS from upstairs. They play and stream fine but only in stereo. If I play them through Shield they're in 5.1
Anyone know why it's only 2.1 files through Samsung tv ARC?

My reciever is a Denon x4200 and ARC is activated on both the tv and reciever as they're connected through the labelled arc hdmi ports of both.
that makes me nervous, because I'm hoping to connect my system the same way. The rtings review says it should pass through Dolby 5.1 and DTS through arc.

Brigandier

It originally played all content in 2.1 all I did was switch to 5.1 using the a.f.d/2ch button and it's been fine since.

that makes me nervous, because I'm hoping to connect my system the same way. The rtings review says it should pass through Dolby 5.1 and DTS through arc.

I think I may not have enabled dd5.1 on the tv to pass through. But can't check right now as my shares aren't setup via the tv app properly. In any case I'm playing everything media files wise through the Shield now. So ARC wont get used now anyway. The Nvidia Shield TV complements this tv so well. It plays everything you throw at it a even 4K 60fps HDR stuff.

Took some pics of my new setup with the 65" KS8000. Upgraded the speakers and receiver to Q Acoustics 2050i 5.1 and the reciever is a Denon AVR-4200w. These phone pics really don't do the picture justice and the HDR really is spectacular. I would say it is more impressive than 4K. But seeing them both on a video at 60fps just blows you away.

ap6hugz.jpg

WxweHv7.jpg

Mss7HzR.jpg

Top Bottom