• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

Raybunny

After watching both Karak's videos on the matter, defo worth to wait for some proper OLED 4k HRD with FLAD and low input lag.

As mentioned before gaming in 4k with HRD is a novelty for constructors. They are starting to follow that market. 2017-2018 will be good.

On the fence, but the next gen HDMI, which seems to come soon, will support dynamic metadata for HDR and that difference seems to be huge. But then this metadata seems only to be supported by Dolby Vision but not by HDR10.

Still early days for HDR, maybe I should just wait although I might not be able too.

The KS8000 has far, far superior motion resolution to any of the OLEDs. Much more important for gaming than some of the qualities provided by OLED, imo. Better latency also.

Sure - if you use it with 110 ms input lag - if you enable game mode you are back to 60 Hz VA panel speeds like every TV

After watching both Karak's videos on the matter, defo worth to wait for some proper OLED 4k HRD with FLAD and low input lag.

As mentioned before gaming in 4k with HRD is a novelty for constructors. They are starting to follow that market. 2017-2018 will be good.

Every OLED is FALD by default since all their pixels are light sources.

New002

It's always better to wait if you can, even moreso now, but if you gotta jump in now for whatever reason I don't think it's the end of the world or anything. There are some options out there, but nothing is perfect, at least not yet :p

Tall Paul

Had the 49" KS8000 (UK) model for a couple of months now and still very impressed. Looking forward to testing new XB1 's' this Thursday but as far as gaming, Sky, Blu Ray & Netfilx it's a great tv, settings certainly need tweaking to preference, noticed slight motion stuttter but only occasionally, it replaced a 4K Sony that kept turning itself on and is a much better set. What Hi-Fi reviewed it recently as well: http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue49ks8000/review

Raybunny

Sure - if you use it with 110 ms input lag - if you enable game mode you are back to 60 Hz VA panel speeds like every TV

Every OLED is FALD by default since all their pixels are light sources.

Cheers, for the correction.

It's always better to wait if you can, even moreso now, but if you gotta jump in now for whatever reason I don't think it's the end of the world or anything. There are some options out there, but nothing is perfect, at least not yet :p

Worth the wait indeed specially taking into consideration the "war" between the HDR and Dobly Vision going on. Reminds me of the "war" between Bluray and HD DVD. If you do need to jump in now the options are quite limited but they do exist. For each their own I guess.

New002

Cheers, for the correction.

Worth the wait indeed specially taking into consideration the "war" between the HDR and Dobly Vision going on. Reminds me of the "war" between Bluray and HD DVD. If you do need to jump in now the options are quite limited but they do exist. For each their own I guess.

Yup, I don't disagree. If you can wait, it's best to wait at least until next year's sets are announced. Otherwise sets like the Vizo P series, these Samsung sets, or the LG OLED sets are ones to look at and may suit one's needs, but there will be compromises. There still may be compromises next year too, but hopefully they aren't as big.

Suggested viewing before you decide whether or not to spend the cash on it.

i think i'll wait to see if next year they'll have a better solution w/ full array.

That guy clearly doesn't have full understanding of what he is trying to talk about is just ends up defaulting to "buy TV with best of every feature or just hold off". Well fuck, let's just recommend everybody to get LG E6 and close the damn thread lol. Is it really LG E6 or bust? Come on mang...

BTW if you want a good full array set you want to buy today, you can always spend the bucks and get the LG OLEDs. The Visio would be OK as well but I think their bare bones display only approach kinda sucks for that price range. I think I would forgo local dimming over better image quality and get the KS8000 over M55.

Strange, Australia also has the 9000 series as the top of the line. From looking at the UK Samsung site, the KS9000 is a curved screen variant of the KS8000.

In the US, the naming convention is KSx000 = flat screen, KSxx00 = curved screen So KS8500, KS9500 and KS9800 are all curved screen with the KS9800 have FALD which is why it's the only model with x800.

In US you have 3 tiers: KS7x00, KS8x00 and KS9x00.

In UK, Sammy seems to want to market curved screens as its own high end tier, so it eliminated the KS8500, and now you have 3 tiers: 7000 (8000 US), 8000 (9000 US), 9000 and 9500 (9000 US curved and FALD variants)

ss_lemonade

TV seems pretty decent, but 22ms is still insanely high. I'll be waiting awhile it seems.
Insanely high? Maybe its because I don't play competitive, but I barely feel any difference between my 144hz pc monitor and my 19ms tv when it comes to input lag. I even stream stuff to it using shield and steam streaming over wifi just fine (there is input lag with that route but it's far from horrible)

1080p content should look identical to how it looks on a 1080p set since 3840x2160 is exactly 4x the pixels of 1080p. 720p, no idea.
I always wondered about this with TVs. I've only seen 4k laptops running in 1080p and those did not look as sharp as a typical 1080p laptop

Karak

At least once the refresh happens we can see what offerings are out there and judge worth versus availability worth media present.
But playing HDR GAME content on these right at this moment I have to say its not like the 8000 is the only TV with issues that probably don't appear much in movies, whether you care will be something up to each individual owner. Like of course the light pillaring, and especially the input lag on some of these:(

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm not sure if this helps, but this is a shot of how an anime image looks on a US k8000, the weakest of the KS levels. At least, for how I have it calibrated.

image_19.jpeg

UrbanRats

That guy clearly doesn't have full understanding of what he is trying to talk about is just ends up defaulting to "buy TV with best of every feature or just hold off". Well fuck, let's just recommend everybody to get LG E6 and close the damn thread lol. Is it really LG E6 or bust? Come on mang...

BTW if you want a good full array set you want to buy today, you can always spend the bucks and get the LG OLEDs. The Visio would be OK as well but I think their bare bones display only approach kinda sucks for that price range. I think I would forgo local dimming over better image quality and get the KS8000 over M55.

What's wrong with waiting to see if they release a TV with all the right features you want in place?
If you really want to go ahead and buy one go ahead of course, but you should at least know what you're getting, and the video is pretty informative in that sense.

Also, the LGE6, even aside from the price, has some questionable input lag so far.

Karak

On the fence, but the next gen HDMI, which seems to come soon, will support dynamic metadata for HDR and that difference seems to be huge. But then this metadata seems only to be supported by Dolby Vision but not by HDR10.

Still early days for HDR, maybe I should just wait although I might not be able too.
Dynamic medadata is indeed a pretty big switch. Very sad we are entering the first swing of these sets and games are primed and thats not in there for HDR10/

ShutterMunster

Uh, he accurately described the pros and cons of the current technology and did it in short time. If you have a problem with his assessment other than the "he recommends the most expensive thing--boo!" how about you articulate it?

Fucking Gaf, man.

jeffram

Really close to pulling the trigger on this one. It seems to has everything going for it except for being edge lit. Every set with a full array backlight is very expensive with no indication that they are going to come down on price significantly compared to edge lit displays.

What's wrong with waiting to see if they release a TV with all the right features you want in place?
If you really want to go ahead and buy one go ahead of course, but you should at least know what you're getting, and the video is pretty informative in that sense.

Also, the LGE6, even aside from the price, has some questionable input lag so far.

Not having TV or having only a crappy one makes waiting not so atractive proposition.

The last time I used "wait for something perfect" was when I ignored Eizo 120Hz and bought cheap 60Hz Benq as temporary solution - I ended using it for 3 years before I finally got proper 144Hz display which still was 600 euro compromise with bit better ones being 900+ and full of QA problems.

People thinking next year will have reasonably priced FALD or newest OLED models are up for rude awakening. I'm guessing we will need to wait at least 2-3 years before we get TV like that in 1000 Euro/$ range. And it's extremely unlikely that whole format war thing will be resolved in 2017 models considering they just started showing third format which is supposed to be used for tv broadcast.

So personally I'll be buying X800D/KS7000/DX750 in few weeks and then I'll be able to skip whole format war and buy into perfectly mature tech while still enjoying a bit of HDR. And since consoles are HDR10 we should be safe until P4 Pro Neo2 arrives ;)

My only alternative would be spending half of what KS7000 costs on temporary 1080p tv.

UrbanRats

Not having TV or having only a crappy one makes waiting not so atractive proposition.

The last time I used "wait for something perfect" was when I ignored Eizo 120Hz and bought cheap 60Hz Benq as temporary solution - I ended using it for 3 years before I finally got proper 144Hz display which still was 600 euro compromise with bit better ones being 900+ and full of QA problems.

People thinking next year will have reasonably priced FALD or newest OLED models are up for rude awakening. I'm guessing we will need to wait at least 2-3 years before we get TV like that in 1000 Euro/$ range. And it's extremely unlikely that whole format war thing will be resolved in 2017 models considering they just started showing third format which is supposed to be used for tv broadcast.

So personally I'll be buying X800D/KS7000/DX750 in few weeks and then I'll be able to skip whole format war and buy into perfectly mature tech while still enjoying a bit of HDR. And since consoles are HDR10 we should be safe until P4 Pro Neo2 arrives ;)

My only alternative would be spending half of what KS7000 costs on temporary 1080p tv.
Hey i'm not saying anyone buying a TV now is a chump, but it's always best to have all the information first, and then make your (informed) decision, that's why i'm defending that video.
If you're willing to compromise on those aspects and shortcomings, that's understandable, but at least you should be aware of them before you spend 1000+€ on something.

Personally i prefer to wait (didn't have the money right now anyway) and see what's coming, then if nothing interesting comes out next year, i'll see where i am then and decide.
More information is never bad though.

Gitaroo

After asking a lot of questions at the avsforum, doesn't looks like the ks8000 suits me neither. I really hope sony would release some official statement in regards to the horrible input lag issue in their hdr video mode next week, or I am taking the x850D back to the store.

Personally i prefer to wait (didn't have the money right now anyway) and see what's coming, then if nothing interesting comes out next year, i'll see where i am then and decide.

But if it turns out nothing interesting is coming out next year then it was just wasted time that could be enjoyed with new stuff.

Plus we won't know if any of those new tvs are good when they are announced. We will need to wait for reviews.

For example Sony 2013/2014 were best gaming machines with lowest input lag then it all went to crap and now they fallen behind.

Gitaroo

But if it turns out nothing interesting is coming out next year then it was just wasted time that could be enjoyed with new stuff.

Plus we won't know if any of those new tvs are good when they are announced. We will need to wait for reviews.

For example Sony 2013/2014 were best gaming machines with lowest input lag then it all went to crap and now they fallen behind.

Yeah, kind of surprised myself, they maybe looking at market trend or marketing trend. They seems to focus on image processing now than game input lag. Pretty picture probably sells more tv than telling gamers about input lag. Just look at the rtng results, basically all the 4k tv prior to x800D, were all broken in 4k since day 1 for pc usage and they have never bother to patch it. This goes all the way back to more than a year ago and probably the one before those too.

ekim

So this review is about the KS8000 series in Europe, right? Not the KS8000 in the US, which is the KS7000 in Europe.

Karak

Hey i'm not saying anyone buying a TV now is a chump, but it's always best to have all the information first, and then make your (informed) decision, that's why i'm defending that video.
If you're willing to compromise on those aspects and shortcomings, that's understandable, but at least you should be aware of them before you spend 1000+€ on something.

It no biggy. Its hyperbolized now into a knee jerk "PERFECT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" response which hilariously isn't what the video was about at all. But it is about making sure your not impacting the very technology your excited about, if you can, and jumping into when there is absolutely BARELY any media available for it so its the perfect time to check out and see.

It no biggy. Its hyperbolized now into a knee jerk "PERFECT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" response which hilariously isn't what the video was about at all. But it is about making sure your not impacting the very technology your excited about, if you can, and jumping into when there is absolutely BARELY any media available for it so its the perfect time to check out and see.

Have you watched any uhd/hdr movies on the samsung yet? I cant stand it when a bright object on a dark scene blooms/light bleeds into the surrounding areas and edge lit displays. Since the edge lighting is on the top and bottom, is it safe to assume that the black bars in movies will be gray? Has the technology gotten better?

ViciousDS

Banned
Suggested viewing before you decide whether or not to spend the cash on it.

i think i'll wait to see if next year they'll have a better solution w/ full array.

All this video tells me

We aren't ready.....but companies are pushing hard for us to switch. Because everyone has a decent 1080p display for the most part now and are in general very happy with what they have. But right now we are in a push for sales as it starts to decline as folks don't need to upgrade their sets anymore.

I went budget for my 4k TV, bought the Sony one 800d, glad I did. Will look for full array in the future when I want to.

Even the KS8000 is a little expensive considering it's just another budget screen.

Especially one that has a rec2020 less than a $500 TV

Karak

Have you watched any uhd/hdr movies on the samsung yet? I cant stand it when a bright object on a dark scene blooms/light bleeds into the surrounding areas and edge lit displays. Since the edge lighting is on the top and bottom, is it safe to assume that the black bars in movies will be gray? Has the technology gotten better?
Ya watched a dozen or more.

You CAN get it to go a good deal away. But depending on the movie it will be more or less noticeable. However in games there are some issues. For example you can see bars of light whenever you have a bright light in one spot. Dragons Dogma looks odd as hell during the night scenes with the center of the screen vertical barred. I almost got it removed but then of course daytime was out of wack. To be fair that game is a GREAT test for HDR displays showing none HDR content and the various different settings.

When your loading a level and you have an icon. Witcher, Batman, in one corner you have the same. Luckily its just the loading screen but its annoying. Primal had some issues during night scenes when the minimap or other corner items light up one side of the screen during dark scenes, with that vertical bar as well.

All things people can ignore for sure. But there yes.

The thing I am noticing a great deal more with the Samsung than any other set is that moving from game to game, HDR game like Forza 3 Horizon(I am reviewing it) and say going to a movie is that I find myself fighting the settings constantly to make up for something or the other. While the others I have to do that less and noticeably so. That shouldn't be a surprise though as thats a regular complaint on that set for some folks.
But that input lag is AMAZINGLY good. Can't wait to see the improvements on input with the next sets.

That's LG B6. E6 has more reasonable input lag in the 30ms range.

Uh, he accurately described the pros and cons of the current technology and did it in short time. If you have a problem with his assessment other than the "he recommends the most expensive thing--boo!" how about you articulate it?

Fucking Gaf, man.

The way he describes local dimming was shit. And while I agree that lack of it can be annoying, it's not a deal breaker to everyone and also have to know that it's one of those compromises you have to make based on the price. You want great local dimming? Then you simply have to pay a lot more for it. He couldn't explain that because it felt like he really didn't know how TV sets achieve it.

Ya watched a dozen or more.

You CAN get it to go a good deal away. But depending on the movie it will be more or less noticeable. However in games there are some issues. For example you can see bars of light whenever you have a bright light in one spot. Dragons Dogma looks odd as hell during the night scenes with the center of the screen vertical barred. I almost got it removed but then of course daytime was out of wack. To be fair that game is a GREAT test for HDR displays showing none HDR content and the various different settings.

When your loading a level and you have an icon. Witcher, Batman, in one corner you have the same. Luckily its just the loading screen but its annoying. Primal had some issues during night scenes when the minimap or other corner items light up one side of the screen during dark scenes, with that vertical bar as well.

All things people can ignore for sure. But there yes.

The thing I am noticing a great deal more with the Samsung than any other set is that moving from game to game, HDR game like Forza 3 Horizon(I am reviewing it) and say going to a movie is that I find myself fighting the settings constantly to make up for something or the other. While the others I have to do that less and noticeably so. That shouldn't be a surprise though as thats a regular complaint on that set for some folks.
But that input lag is AMAZINGLY good. Can't wait to see the improvements on input with the next sets.

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it. The vertical light bars pretty much confirms that i wont be happy with the samsung. Im thinking that when games with hdr come out the light bleeding will be even more noticeable, especially in a dark game like gears of war.

Karak

That's LG B6. E6 has more reasonable input lag in the 30ms range.

The way he describes local dimming was shit. And while I agree that lack of it can be annoying, it's not a deal breaker to everyone and also have to know that it's one of those compromises you have to make based on the price. You want great local dimming? Then you simply have to pay a lot more for it. He couldn't explain that because it felt like he really didn't know how TV sets achieve it.

Interesting as that is actually the way the spokesmen described it in laymen terms which is what this was about, building on getting users some data about end results.
I have no ego about that and since this is about giving out correct data and actual laymen descriptions and information I have emailed/DM'ed my contacts at LG, Samsung, and Visio and asked them if that description should be changed.
As an ex AV installer I hope I am usually up enough on tech to discuss it but if that turns out wrong I will certainty add an addendum to that video. Its a valid point so it needs to be hammered home correctly and HDR being new can easily cloud the subject.

Edit response back about that description from my LG contact..
"That was more than adequate as a primer and worked with the way the rest of the data was explained. It is one way we describe it when 'making black appear.blacker' doesn't make enough sense to the customer. Also the pong ball comparison makes sense as that is one of the tests itself."
Maybe on the next vid I will go more technical.

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it. The vertical light bars pretty much confirms that i wont be happy with the samsung. Im thinking that when games with hdr come out the light bleeding will be even more noticeable, especially in a dark game like gears of war.
Each to their own. I see the huge forum threads in the various audio visual forms of people hating them and calling for returns and blah blah blah. I am not into that. I am into everyone understanding what HDR is doing and trying to maximize that actual effect when the media is out to support it, with the technology of that time.
Its a fucking exciting time man. The biggest improvement without needing really extra horsepower is here and with the proper tech behind it...WOW. We are all learning just how cool this can be for sure.

The end result of course will be money versus features but the nice thing is since its a totally new feature we are seeing companies trying to outdo one another. Input lag is next and we can see that just by how manufacturers are respond right on twitter about questions and such.

kyser73

Could someone post a link/s to anywhere I can DL the Pro demos? I'm taking a trip to the TV store and would like to take a USB with some goodies s on it to check out, thanks.

Karak

Could someone post a link/s to anywhere I can DL the Pro demos? I'm taking a trip to the TV store and would like to take a USB with some goodies s on it to check out, thanks.

Do you mean these? http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

Yeah, kind of surprised myself, they maybe looking at market trend or marketing trend. They seems to focus on image processing now than game input lag. Pretty picture probably sells more tv than telling gamers about input lag. Just look at the rtng results, basically all the 4k tv prior to x800D, were all broken in 4k since day 1 for pc usage and they have never bother to patch it. This goes all the way back to more than a year ago and probably the one before those too.
They also added a couple processes that directly impact that input lag(as you said to improve TV picture quality for movies). It should not be very hard for many tv manufacturers to firmware out some of them to get that lag down lower than it is.

A third party Amazon seller (99% rating after 3000+ reviews) briefly listed a new 55" version of this set for $1297, no tax and free shipping.

I jumped on it. Can't wait to get my hands on this set in a week or so! I also purchased a wall mount and a bias lighting kit.

Trojan

A third party Amazon seller (99% rating after 3000+ reviews) briefly listed a new 55" version of this set for $1297, no tax and free shipping.

I jumped on it. Can't wait to get my hands on this set in a week or so! I also purchased a wall mount and a bias lighting kit.

You will very likely love this TV. I got one about a month ago and this TV really delivers for the price.

Maybe on the next vid I will go more technical.

The real trick in a video like your primer is to boil it down to very simple and easy to digest terms. Being more technical isn't necessarily the answer since it might confuse the viewer more. The correct approach to explaining local dimming IMO is the cost approach since it's a direct correlation to complexity of lighting array = more cost.

Edge lit sets are cheaper but you only have a few lighting elements and will do a shit job of lighting complex bright shapes on screen and you will suffer more from blooms in the black.

Local dimming via increased lighting elements from the back is better for granularity but more elements controlled separately = more complexity = more cost. In fact, the concept of lighting granularity is very important to explain to the viewer first. You should have taken the pong analogy further, by maybe adding more balls to the example or make the shape of the pong ball into more complex one to explain further the importance of granularity in lighting.

Great local dimming is really a brute force approach if you think about it. That new Sony Z series is taking LCD back lit based local dimming to the next levels by having over a thousand separate lighting elements instead of previous levels of hundreds of separate elements in something like Vizio M series. Of course LG sidesteps that issue altogether by using OLEDs that are self Illuminating each pixel, but that's far more expensive to produce than LCDs.

Explaining complex tech like local dimming on a short video is a challenge, obviously, but you have to do more than how you did it otherwise it adds more to the confusion than anything. But in order to do that you need to fully understand the tech yourself first before you can hope to describe it simply to others. IMO, you will need to use lots of visual aids.

Karak

You sir, are a gent and a scholar. Thanks :)

No problem. I know how it can be.
We used to have folks drag video game systems in lol. Any good store will do it. Though they may want to verify it doesn't have malware and shit on the usb

farisr

No problem. I know how it can be.
We used to have folks drag video game systems in lol. Any good store will do it. Though they may want to verify it doesn't have malware and shit on the usb
Just a question about your preference in regards to this issue.

If you had to choose, what would you rather have, an edge lit dimming solution like the ks8000 that produces the vertical column when there's a small bright object in a dark scene, or something hat doesn't have dimming at all like the x800d that won't produce a vertical column but can't be as dynamic in other scenes as the ks8000 due to the lack of dimming.

If you had to choose, what would you rather have, an edge lit dimming solution like the ks8000 that produces the vertical column when there's a small bright object in a dark scene, or something hat doesn't have dimming at all like the x800d that won't produce a vertical column but can't be as dynamic in other scenes as the ks8000 due to the lack of dimming.

I'm pretty sure you can turn off the local dimming on KS8000.

Karak

You can turn off the dimming on the KS. The issue is each tv handles it differently that has it and some are very poor. And off or on it also affects the picture because of how it works with edge lit, how that works with the dynamic contrast(if its on) and so forth. Rtings and others suggest you don't turn if off but thats of course up to you. Edge lit is just the older cheaper tech.

But overall picture quality for games both HDR and none I find that I would rather have accuracy in local luminescence even if i had to sacrifice a little brightness screen wide and that goes for all local dimming efforts on all tv's. Especially when, in this case, lack of accuracy is adding light where it shouldn't be. But each to their own. As I said in the video its a great time because there isn't a lot of media. So while some companies might want us to rush out and get something, if we don't the loss will be very small for awhile. Which is so nice for a consumer.

Top Bottom