• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Innocent man burned to death by vigilante neighbours who mistook him for paedophile

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Banned
People in the 'blackface three' thread should heed the dangers of this sort of bloodlust vigilantism. Obviously this is on a whole different level, (this one perpetrated on an innocent, the other perpetrated on 3 almost definitely indefensible people) but in my opinion the sentiment is the same.

We must be so careful in how we react to an injustice, because the fervent quest to ruin people's lives and sate our appetite for justice and vengeance can be so damaging, even fatal. It's so hard but we need to let the law run it's course and step back from the invasive detective work and vitriol you often see enveloping those social media backlash situations.

Oh this post can go straight to fucking hell. I wish Bish wasn't locked up in his bunker right now.

Oh this post can go straight to fucking hell. I wish Bish wasn't locked up in his bunker right now.

What did I say that offended you so much? I just believe that this should be a warning to people who take vengeance into their own hands.

There's so many examples of people getting fucked over or killed because someone was wound up and took matters into their own hands.

Another victim of the irrational fear that every male is a pedophile waiting to be exposed.

I feel so bad for his family :( Such a tragedy.

The Adder

Banned
What did I say that offended you so much? I just believe that this should be a warning to people who take vengeance into their own hands.

There's so many examples of people getting fucked over or killed because someone was wound up and took matters into their own hands.

What the fuck does this topic have to do with that one?

Please point me to even a hint of violence in that one.

I dunno. Just reading the thread title got me thinking of Freddy, so I kind of expect it and sort of demand it. Keep them coming I say.

For me it's not really that the jokes are 'inappropriate' so much as witless. Like in those situations where people say "I'm going to hell for laughing at this", I'll laugh and not feel bad about it. That plus the persistent repetition throughout the thread is pretty tedious.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The hell is wrong with people nowadays.

If somehow, some way he really was a pedophile, did they think that the police would reward them for that or something?

Roland1979

Vigilantism is never ok and the definition of breaking important laws. A neighborhood watch that report what they see and hear to the police probably works, though i never see them in The Netherlands and never heard or read they are active here, but i guess it can give somewhat of a additional feeling of safety to a community? And burning someone to death is on a whole new other level.

hqdefault.jpg

How little have we advanced in the decade since Monkey Dust went off air... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zG2pt7p9w

You guys connecting this to the story of the guys who beat the peeping tom to near death have a point.

The teachable moment for us is to calm down.

Vigilantism is never ok and the definition of breaking important laws. A neighborhood watch that report what they see and here to the police probably works, though i never see them in The Netherlands and never heard or read they are active here, but i guess it can give somewhat of a additional feeling of safety to a community? And burning someone to death is on a whole new other level.

The law won't keep you safe.

And those towns people are abso-fucking-lutely insane. Reminds me of those cunts in that episode of Doctor Who, they wouldn't listen to the Doctor and his perfectly reasonable arguments because they were scared, stupid, weak, and stupid. Did I say these people are stupid? All they had to do was listen. But they didn't listen, and they all nearly paid the price.

Yeah, they're stupid as shit. Don't think that that makes vigilantism always bad, because the rule of law has a bad side too and it can fuck you in the ass. Just ask those kids of Boys Town, Nebraska.

If you deal in absolutes, that's just troubling. Put those people in a prison for their grave mistake and jump to judgment without reason, evidence, or a goddamn sense of decency.

I'm angry, if that hasn't gotten across. This is most definitely a rant.

xenist

Oh no! Who would have thought? And I thought vigilantism is valid.

I mean if the people actually trained to enforce the law fail at their jobs the answer is certainly not to demand for them to be better. Justice should instead be left at the hands of people not even nominally equipped to administer it.

Roland1979

The law won't keep you safe.
It has kept me safe so far. In most countries without guns for every citizen crime and shooting incidents are lower. A country like Switzerland is just a exception. And life doesn't keep you safe by definition. Does't mean you get to play cop yourself. By that same logic social control is the best thing since slice bread. I gave a example of something in between: a neighborhood watch. Not good enough? Plus they could have reported him to the police, it's not some stabbing where you may interfere directly. It's ok if you're angry, healthier then bottling it up.

Kuroyume

Banned
That happened in England? That's more surprising than anything. This seems more like a 3rd world type thing... The burning of people.

It has kept me safe so far. In most countries without guns for every citizen crime and shooting incidents are lower. A country like Switzerland is just a exception. And life doesn't keep you safe by definition. Does't mean you get to play cop yourself. By that same logic social control is the best thing since slice bread. I gave a example of something in between: a neighborhood watch. Not good enough? Plus they could have reported him to the police, it's not some stabbing where you may interfere directly. It's ok if you're angry, healthier then bottling it up.

The law is absolutely the single biggest thing that is keeping you safe.

It absolutely is and absolutely has. No denying that. Law enforcement is a great thing a lot of the time.

I'm just sayin' that I like the idea of vigilantism, but not every person can do it right. It's a dangerous thing, and I only condone it when done right. There are ones I'd consider a success (capturing a thief and roping him to a pole for police, or breaking the legs of a confirmed rapist who got off on a technicality) and then a failure (these stupid towns people who immediately jumped on the bandwagon to burn a dude alive without reason/rational thought, nor evidence of guilt).

pizza dog

Banned
It absolutely is and absolutely has. No denying that. Law enforcement is a great thing a lot of the time.

I'm just sayin' that I like the idea of vigilantism, but not every person can do it right. It's a dangerous thing, and I only condone it when done right. There are ones I'd consider a success (capturing a thief and roping him to a pole for police, or breaking the legs of a confirmed rapist who got off on a technicality) and then a failure (these stupid towns people who immediately jumped on the bandwagon to burn a dude alive without reason/rational thought, nor evidence of guilt).

It's almost like humans constructed societies and legal systems and civilizations for the very purpose of "doing it right".

Colby

Being burned to death is my worst fear in life. I can't imagine what that innocent man was feeling...Jesus Christ.

Roland1979

There are ones I'd consider a success (capturing a thief and roping him to a pole for police, or breaking the legs of a confirmed rapist who got off on a technicality) and then a failure (these stupid towns people who immediately jumped on the bandwagon to burn a dude alive without reason/rational thought, nor evidence of guilt).

The first is not vigilantism but a citizens arrest, though i'm not sure about the roping. The other is unacceptable, confirmed doesn't mean anything. If one in a 1000 turned out to be innocent then you did something horrible. And if you justify it by playing a numbers game then there's still countries with backwards ways. Plus you're set on revenge, long and severe sentences isn't gonna change anything. If you really care focus on prevention a lot, "to prevent is better then to heal" is a saying we have. Another focus should be rehabilitation and psychological aid. In fact a psychic checkup should be made mandatory for everyone at least a few time during your life IMO, say once every 10 years or at turning points (teen, midlife, senior). You know what you would've changed by breaking someone's leg? N O T H I N G. It only toughens a nation. From the US you regularly hear horrible stories (which alarms, scares and toughens people) but at the same time you should't forget the it's a huge nation, with states larger then my country. Things will happen. Plus with long sentences it will only get worse.

I was taken aback that you brought that in here too. Sure, there are going to be a lot of recurring lessons and themes in life, but any additions of nuance should be respected accordingly.

The first is not vigilantism but a citizens arrest, though i'm not sure about the roping. The other is unacceptable, confirmed doesn't mean anything. If one in a 1000 turned out to be innocent then you did something horrible. And if you justify it by playing a numbers game then there's still countries with backwards ways. Plus you're set on revenge, long and severe sentences isn't gonna change anything. If you really care focus on prevention a lot, "to prevent is better then to heal" is a saying we have. Another focus should be rehabilitation and psychological aid. In fact a psychic checkup should be made mandatory for everyone at least a few time during your life IMO, say once every 10 years or at turning points (teen, midlife, senior). You know what you would've changed by breaking someone's leg? N O T H I N G. It only toughens a nation. From the US you regularly hear horrible stories (which alarms, scares and toughens people) but at the same time you should't forget the it's a huge nation, with states larger then my country. Things will happen. Plus with long sentences it will only get worse.

The one in 1000 thing doesn't matter. He isn't innocent. He's confirmed guilty. As in, they have a video tape of the perpetrator viciously and enjoyably sexually-assaulting someone. Scratch the leg breaking thing: give 'em chemical castration and years of therapy to try and get rid of their demons. Forget breaking legs. That was a pretty stupid example to make. Citizen's arrest seems like a form of vigilantism to me. Not letting the criminal get away and bringing him to justice.

Anyway, I like the option of healing. When it works, hot damn, love it. Case by case, I wish they all could be healed. No punishments or anything. Sadly, not everyone can be healed.

Eh. Don't get me on revenge. I'm not out to avenge the victims or try to bring anyone back. The victims are already broken and need time and others to help them heal. I'm not okay with vigilantes out for simply revenge. Revenge can be beautiful, but that's not what I'm looking for. There has to be more, like the thought of possible future victims.

Hopefully that sorta clears some of that muddy post up. My posts like this can be really... emotional, I guess.

Roland1979

A citizens arrest is not vigilantism as far as i know because it is legal and acting by the established law. Vigilantism is illegal and is acting upon your own law. If there was proof and you was at the trial and hear the entire case then i guess i can understand, liked your second solution a lot better. If it's your family i would understand anyways, if it's not it's usually better to let it be handled by those trained for it, at least that's my opinion. Maybe people should not be able to get off on a technicality. I know you can't trial someone for the same thing twice, but that's probably a old law. These days it has come so complex a single exception (in case of a technicality a second trial MUST take place) would be a solution. Otherwise if you would take revenge you would acted in a way that might change your life in a negative way, only spiraling negativity. It would be a shoehorned punishment, but never a solution (to the real problem).

That happened in England? That's more surprising than anything. This seems more like a 3rd world type thing... The burning of people.

It's all situational. When you change the rules and boundaries, you'll get new roles that people play and civilisation can be stripped away anywhere in the world. Look up the Milgram obedience experiment where random people were assigned the role of either prisoner or prison guard under Yale university. It was devised to see how the Nazis could have done what they did. It had to be cancelled after 2 days after the prison guards took their role way too seriously and were committing actions similar to what you see in places like Guantanamo.

We're just working on the slimmest of boundaries. Once they're broken, civilisation as a construct is not strong enough to hold us back.

WTF is wrong with these people. Why burn the man to death? We're in the fvcking information age, just send him to the authorities.

jimi_dini

There are ones I'd consider a success (capturing a thief and roping him to a pole for police, or breaking the legs of a confirmed rapist who got off on a technicality)

what?

What is a "confirmed rapist who got off on a technicality"? And why is breaking someone's legs a success? What is wrong with you?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think it's certainly fair to say vigilantism doesn't have a place in modern society. But to say it's never okay is pretty foolish IMO. There are vigilantes in the world today, in third world countries where the police are corrupt, who are true heroes. It all depends on the context.

dan2026

Even if he was a peadofile how does commiting a far worse crime make any sort of sense?

This is the equivilent if chopping someone's hand off for stealing.

Complete maddness.

Nicktendo86

Not sure why people think it's ok to make freddy jokes in here, an innocent man has been killed in an horrifically painful way.

This is why I am on the fence over Sarah's law, paedophiles are the scum of the earth but never underestimate a vigilante mob to get things completely wrong.

Goodlife

There was a mob in South Wales a few years ago who tried to hound a person out of their house, as they thought they were a pedophile.....
Turns out they were a pediatrician....

As mentioned above, the paranoia about pedophilia in the UK is just crazy and it's fulled mostly by the tabloids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom