• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOSU Hack (homebrew and more) planned to be released for Wii U on Dec. 24th

liquidtmd

Banned
always with these dramas. here's a tip for "hackers": don't announce stuff, just release it when you are ready

Pretty much. Say nothing. Release it.

I get Hykems position but for an outsider looking in, it just looks like:

- Hykem teases something
- Hykem says its coming
- Hykem says its coming
- Hykem says its coming
- Hykem says its coming
- Hykem says its delayed
- Hykem says its delayed but they'll work on it all month next month and itll be super sweet
- Another source does a 'Hello World'
- Hykem says 'oh well, I'm moving on'

Its a thankless job and screw the people trolling him. Just a bit of restraint would go a long way

So much salt.

I'm betting it will all be dropped as soon as the NX is introduced, although a discontinued Wii U would be perfect for hacking.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It seems to be a bunch of idiots over at GBA temp. What a butch of dicks.

I followed the development of Memchunkhax2 and its implementation since the very first minute and let me tell you: it's a fucking cesspool. There are some good people there, though. Too bad the loud and obnoxious majority completely drown them out.

I followed the development of Memchunkhax2 and its implementation since the very first minute and let me tell you: it's a fucking cesspool. There are some good people there, though. Too bad the loud and obnoxious majority completely drown them out.

Yeah, there's some good people there. Also a bunch of morons who can't read/follow instructions or who think that programming is magic and performed by snapping your fingers.

ETA -

I also think people who say "don't announce before its ready" often do more harm than good. I've lost count of the number of projects that have died with no god damn source code (essentially setting the next people to work on it back to square one) because people want to keep things close to their chests. Having WIP source code is excellent even if a project falls through. People need to understand that programming takes time and sometimes promising approaches fail, or unforseen bugs crop up that set you way back. I just found 4 lines that set me back 50 hours in one of my projects. *sigh*.

sounds familiar

Is it OK that I'm really confused now? Are we going to get something like the hbc?

Probably won't get anything usable for a couple of weeks after the exploit is released in all likelihood while people work out what's possible and how to accomplish it. Hykem's thing is only an IOSU exploit. Unless he ends up releasing something as a proof of concept with it.

5.4.0/5.5.0 MP4 exploit released!

I honestly don't know exactly what it does, but it's been patched in today's update. It's not Hykem's IOSU exploit, though. It seems quite poor, even by in words of the devs.

And Yellows8 released a userland 5.5 exploit too!

It's another userland entry point exploiting the browser playing MP4 files I think. Though it seems super unstable given the rest of that post. It's also unclear if they can elevate to kernel through a chained exploit like 5.3.2 but I think there's a known kernel exploit up to 5.5 anyway so that's kind of irrelevant now that there's an entry point.

Anything that doesn't grant IOSU access isn't going to be an IOSU exploit and will be different to Hykem's by default (though they might use the same entrypoint, apparently you don't need kernel to get IOSU* and IOUSU can exploit the kernel, so the IOSU hack doesn't require a kernel exploit).

*Which seems really god damn stupid honestly. Allowing userland to take control of something with above kernel access is really silly, userland shouldn't be able to directly interface with that stuff in the first place.

Pokemaniac

It's another userland entry point exploiting the browser playing MP4 files I think. Though it seems super unstable given the rest of that post. It's also unclear if they can elevate to kernel through a chained exploit like 5.3.2 but I think there's a known kernel exploit up to 5.5 anyway so that's kind of irrelevant now that there's an entry point.

Anything that doesn't grant IOSU access isn't going to be an IOSU exploit and will be different to Hykem's by default (though they might use the same entrypoint, apparently you don't need kernel to get IOSU* and IOUSU can exploit the kernel, so the IOSU hack doesn't require a kernel exploit).

*Which seems really god damn stupid honestly. Allowing userland to take control of something with above kernel access is really silly, userland shouldn't be able to directly interface with that stuff in the first place.

Userland doesn't have direct IOSU access. It has to use a syscall.

Userland doesn't have direct IOSU access. It has to use a syscall.

Yeah, I know. But you shouldn't be able to go from userland to above the kernel without passing through the kernel. That's a pretty big chain of trust breach. The syscalls should have to be mediated by the kernel. Unless Hykem's thing is some kind of sanitisation pass through failure (which would go through the kernel without compromising it) which wouldn't surprise me at this point, a surprising number of the full access breaches on consoles come down to a failure to validate/sanitize.

Pokemaniac

Yeah, I know. But you shouldn't be able to go from userland to above the kernel without passing through the kernel. That's a pretty big chain of trust breach. The syscalls should have to be mediated by the kernel. Unless Hykem's thing is some kind of sanitisation pass through failure (which would go through the kernel without compromising it) which wouldn't surprise me at this point, a surprising number of the full access breaches on consoles come down to a failure to validate/sanitize.

You misunderstand. Syscalls are functions that are handled by kernel code. All IOSU requests go through the kernel. It is entirely possible that there could be bugs in IOSU triggered by legit looking IOSU requests.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey, guys. Hykem is alive and kicking and posting Wii U 5.5.1 IOSU keys!

I wouldn't advice to update just yet, though. There's still 12 days of January left and it seems that Hykem will fulfill his promise.

Edit: Mind you, those are incomplete keys. You can't post the full key. They are already out there, though, so this is legit.

Hasney

Yk8j0Xl.png

This is what he's working on now, the exploit is apparently done. Glad he's doing it, but obviously a large section of GBATemp isn't happy.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Things appear to be going smoothly now:

zecoxao said:
a little update to the IOSU exploit. i've talked to hykem about it and, even though the IOSU part is done, the ROP from webkit needs porting to the several firmwares.
So, here is the current status:
Version 3.0.1 (the version hykem is at) is currently 100% done.
Version 5.3.2 needs to be ported, but is currently being worked on by him
Version 5.5.0/5.5.1 is done, but needs some adjustments.
Any other version not being mentioned here is not ready yet.

Hopefully this means we may be getting a release this week or the next one. Fingers crossed.

What's the latest firmware version? I think I'm on 5.0, worried about it suddenly updating and then not having the option to hack the system.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What's the latest firmware version? I think I'm on 5.0, worried about it suddenly updating and then not having the option to hack the system.

IOSU works in 5.5.1, the most recent version. The only difference between it and 5.5.0 (the latest version when IOSU was announced) is a minor browser entrypoint that was fixed. Since there are other ways to access homebrew still available, you can safely update to 5.5.1.

At least that's what some of the "big names" of the scene have said.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've already made sure to delete all of my console's network connections except the wired one, so I can just unplug it if I want to stop updates for the time being.

Someone wake me when region-free loaders are a thing.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So is anyone working on homwbrew, emulators, or anything yet?

Well, apart from Loadiine for <5.4 firmwares, not much at the moment. Having kernel access (IOSU) will make the scene grow in leaps and bounds in a very short amount of time. Just look at what has happened in the 3DS scene in the past few weeks!

In the meantime, you have WiiuBru as an example of a "centralized" homebrew application. There's not much you can do with it for the moment, but... it's something.

Daouzin

Oh man, if these guys release their exploits for everyone, a Smash 4 version of PM will be on the way.

That's pretty exciting!

Joey Ravn

Banned
So, basically, Hykem's "vacations" [sic] have been extended until the end of February. He has posted a couple of times in GBATemp, in part to tell some people to fuck off, in part to calm everyone and tell us that IOSU is supposed to drop sometime between now and Feb. 29, so he has enough time to maintainance after the fact.

The hack itself is done, and he's now doing the obfuscation needed (both for Nintendo and for developers who want to implement this for piracy) and porting it to different firmwares (5.5/5.5.1 are basically done, save for some glitches).

So, for now, we wai.

sonto340

So, basically, Hykem's "vacations" [sic] have been extended until the end of February. He has posted a couple of times in GBATemp, in part to tell some people to fuck off, in part to calm everyone and tell us that IOSU is supposed to drop sometime between now and Feb. 29, so he has enough time to maintainance after the fact.

The hack itself is done, and he's now doing the obfuscation needed (both for Nintendo and for developers who want to implement this for piracy) and porting it to different firmwares (5.5/5.5.1 are basically done, save for some glitches).

So, for now, we wai.
Isn't this like. Exactly what he said at the beginning of January lol.

I'm sure Hykem has something and I'm sure he'll release it at some point, but what a cluster fuck this whole thing has been.

Especially compared to the way the 3ds recently got exploited. From announcement to release in such a short time.

Watching GBATemp meltdowns is fun at least lol.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Isn't this like. Exactly what he said at the beginning of January lol.

I'm sure Hykem has something and I'm sure he'll release it at some point, but what a cluster fuck this whole thing has been.

Especially compared to the way the 3ds recently got exploited. From announcement to release in such a short time.

Watching GBATemp meltdowns is fun at least lol.

Yeah. But then again, Hykem doesn't post much.

If this has been a clusterfuck it's simply because GBATemp wanted to make it so. Hykem announced the exploit some time in advance (to warn people against updates, etc.) and gave an ETA for the release. Every time he didn't manage to meet the deadline he's been honest about it and third-party sources have confirmed his reasons. But GBATemp is such a cesspool full of entitled little shits who think Hykem owns them something and get furious when he doesn't give them what they want.

It's not really fair to compare this to the situation in the 3DS front. What Smea, Plutoo et all did was achieve a way to downgrade the firmware to a version that had already been exploited. What Hykem is doing is actually exploiting the current version of the Wii U's firmware, not finding a way to revert it back to 5.3.2 (which is the Wii U equivalent of the 3DS's 9.2).

Be as it may, the main topic about IOSU in GBATemp has been finally closed. Hopefully this lets Hykem work without so much background noise. So, yeah, we just have to wait. 5.5.1 is fully compatible with IOSU, so there's really no point in waiting for the exploit to come out instead of using your Wii U ;)

nickerous

So is everyone updating to 5.5.1 or waiting on 5.5.0? I love my wiiU, but haven't been playing it outside of Mario maker. The only reason I would go to the latest firmware would be to update that.

So is everyone updating to 5.5.1 or waiting on 5.5.0? I love my wiiU, but haven't been playing it outside of Mario maker. The only reason I would go to the latest firmware would be to update that.

AFAIK know there's no actual difference between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 for the purpose of practical hacks (5.5.1. closed some hacks that no one was using). The significant points are 5.3.2 , 5.4 and 5.5.1 , 5.3.2 being the "best" for now (depending on how the IOSU exploit turns out 5.5.0/5.5.1 may end up being the best but it'd obviously be a bad idea to update to there until it actually happens)..

Joey Ravn

Banned
Smea just posted this very interesting proof of concept with the following disclaimer:

ok so i just made my progress video. before i post it i want to emphasize that this is WIP, and i dont know if/how stuff might be released.
this is going to be more proof of concept like my early 3DS stuff. making a video and a proper stable release are very different things
again, dont watch if you expect a release anytime soon, but : wii u : coldboothax, redNAND, homebrew (WIP)

Interesting times ahead!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Where are you guys getting updates your updates on this?

Currently, from nowhere. Hykem has closed down his Twitter account, but the last info he gave was that he didn't have much time to work on IOSU these days. Nevertheless, he has been coordinating with another group so when IOSU is released, emuNAND and other applications that take advantage of the exploit are released at the same time.

Time will tell, I guess.

Trogdor1123

Currently, from nowhere. Hykem has closed down his Twitter account, but the last info he gave was that he didn't have much time to work on IOSU these days. Nevertheless, he has been coordinating with another group so when IOSU is released, emuNAND and other applications that take advantage of the exploit are released at the same time.

Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks, very much appreciated. Guess we just need to wait. I think they should maybe wait till after Zelda.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thanks, very much appreciated. Guess we just need to wait. I think they should maybe wait till after Zelda.

Why, though? It's not like IOSU will break the Wii U's market or anything. The Wii U is a console steadily nearing its death. Allowing easy access to homebrew (et al) can give it a second wind, at least among certain people.

Time will tell, I guess.
I've not updated for a while, looks like this is probably going to take a long time.

Have these guys said anything about whether or not it's safe to update to the latest firmware? I think I'm on 5.1.1 or something like that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've not updated for a while, looks like this is probably going to take a long time.

Have these guys said anything about whether or not it's safe to update to the latest firmware? I think I'm on 5.1.1 or something like that.

5.5.1 is vulnerable, but you can already access a somewhat functional kernel exploit if you're on 5.3.2, with Loadiine and other homebrew apps.

Don't update. And if you do, go to 5.3.2, but not to 5.5.1.

Trogdor1123

Why, though? It's not like IOSU will break the Wii U's market or anything. The Wii U is a console steadily nearing its death. Allowing easy access to homebrew (et al) can give it a second wind, at least among certain people.

not sure, was just thinking that anything that can help the game the better.

DJKhaled

Time will tell, I guess.

I thought the latest news was Hykem was raided or something and they took all his electronics. That's what Crediar and MarioNumber1 said and they're both extremely reliable, Smealum also said he heard about it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I thought the latest news was Hykem was raided or something and they took all his electronics. That's what Crediar and MarioNumber1 said and they're both extremely reliable, Smealum also said he heard about it.

Nobody knows for sure, truth be told. I've heard it was related to his work on the PS4 scene. He said he was working in tandem with another group for a bigger release (IOSU, emuNAND, etc.), so maybe his work is continued by them, or picked up by someone else?

I honestly don't know. I've never doubted Hykem's claims (he has the credentials, just look at his WiiUBrew edits), so sooner or later IOSU will come out. I'm sure of that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
NWPlayer123 has just posted a leeeeeengthy post on reverse engineering the Wii U firmware.

She has ported Lodiine and several other homebrew applications to 5.5.1 and she's currently working on a kernel exploit. After Hykem's vanishing act, she's our best, last hope!

Top Bottom