• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone anticipating the game I am Setsuna?

Between import impressions and the way they've been advertising the game, it's been hard for me to get too excited for it. Maybe I've just been soured by the numerous other smaller projects that claim to be a revival of the Good Ol' Days of JRPGs but completely fail to capture the subtleties that made those games special.

I'm also in the camp that would have sprung for the Vita version if they brought it over (and fixed the loading problems). Definitely would be looking forward to it more if it had a physical release in English as well.

Same on both counts. I feel like they're trying really hard to sell this game on the merits of other games, rather than what it is.

Like from all the marketing I've seen, I don't really know what the game itself is about, but I sure as hell know it's a lot like Chrono Trigger and other old RPGs I may or may not have played!

and I'd much rather play a game that looks like this on handheld. Not sure this is something I want to be sitting in front of a TV playing for a long time.

I still can't believe they localized the name as I am Setsuna. I shake my head every time I read it. Their explanation on the PS Blog was "the word setsunai is foreign in English, so we used the character's name". Like, what? How shitty of a localizer must you be.

Snow and Sacrifice would have been perfect. Or Sorrow and Sacrifice, but the first sounds better.

In any case, yes, I am looking forward to it.

Dynasty8

I still can't believe they localized the name as I am Setsuna. I shake my head every time I read it. Their explanation on the PS Blog was "the word setsunai is foreign in English, so we used the character's name". Like, what? How shitty of a localizer must you be.

Snow and Sacrifice would have been perfect. Or Sorrow and Sacrifice, but the first sounds better.

I agree. Name is a big turn off IMO.

I agree. Name is a big turn off IMO.

Like, what will they do if a sequel is made? What if the cast of characters is different and there is no Setsuna in the game? You have a game that is called I am Setsuna 2, yet it's not a sequel to the original game's story. Brand confusion.

I'm still baffled that this decision was giving the green light. Calling the game Snow and Sacrifice would have sidestepped this problem entirely. And that's besides the fact that it's a much better title.

Phatcorns

Can anyone tell me where I can find the theme? I preordered on my computer but can't seem to find where to download the theme itself on my ps4.

Like, what will they do if a sequel is made? What if the cast of characters is different and there is no Setsuna in the game? You have a game that is called I am Setsuna 2, yet it's not a sequel to the original game's story. Brand confusion.

I'm still baffled that this decision was giving the green light. Calling the game Snow and Sacrifice would have sidestepped this problem entirely. And that's besides the fact that it's a much better title.

I feel like you are putting way too much stock in the name. The name is totally fine. Unless it sells gangbusters over here, which it won't, you don't have to worry about the sequel problem.

Shifty1897

Need some reviews first. I was very close to buying SO5 until I read the reviews and looked at my backlog of RPG's I'll never finish because they aren't very good.

GorillaJu

What have the complaints from Japan been aside from lack of environmental variety?

I like visiting different environments in rpgs, but I also like the idea of a more environmentally coherent and consistent rpg, particularly if it's short.

Too short to really sink your teeth into like a good old school RPG. Generic and predictable storyline, main character really lacks depth and exploration, some antiquated systems that really didn't need to be brought back. Unlockable treasure boxes scattered throughout the world that you won't be able to access until the final dungeon, when you'll have to backtrack to get all of them. You'll have to take notes on paper or look up the locations online because there aren't any maps. No real purpose to saving money, and overall very easy.

Gamespawn

Too short to really sink your teeth into like a good old school RPG. Generic and predictable storyline, main character really lacks depth and exploration, some antiquated systems that really didn't need to be brought back. Unlockable treasure boxes scattered throughout the world that you won't be able to access until the final dungeon, when you'll have to backtrack to get all of them. You'll have to take notes on paper or look up the locations online because there aren't any maps. No real purpose to saving money, and overall very easy.

sounds like an awful like Grandia II. I liked that game.

OmegaDL50

I don't doubt that the game is too short for what it is, but old-school RPGs didn't run more than 20-30 hours, unless you were talking about PSX and later games.

Chrono Trigger itself could be easily finished in 15 hours, all of the side quests such as the Rainbow Shell, Cyrus Grave Dungeon, or Black Tyranno Dungeon.

The only overly long RPGs in the SNES era that I'm aware of were Dragon Quest V and VI which didn't even get a Western release until many years later on the DS.

I mean not even early PSX RPGs were were incredibly long, so Setsuna being about the same length as say Chrono Trigger or Suikoden 1 isn't really a detracting point.

Sometimes super long games that are 60+ hours long such as Dragon Quest 7 or Xenoblade while enjoyable, can easily wear out their welcome.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Setsuna Cross. Done.

I'm very interested in this game, but pissed that they didn't localize the Vita version for the west. I really wanted to play it during my bus commute to and from work. Since its PS4 only over here, I'm going to wait for a few months before I buy it. I have enough to play on PS4 at the moment, I don't need to add anymore to that backlog. I mean, I have a ton to play on my Vita too, but I'm always up for another portable JRPG.

KtSlime

I want it, but 4800¥ is a bit steep, especially when the PS4 version can be found for half that on Amazon or Rakuten.

Nesther

As an Easy Allies follower it's hard for me not to be anticipated. I think Huber mentions it on every stream he's on.

I'm gonna get it, loved CT back then.

GorillaJu

Chrono Trigger itself could be easily finished in 15 hours, all of the side quests such as the Rainbow Shell, Cyrus Grave Dungeon, or Black Tyranno Dungeon.

The only overly long RPGs in the SNES era that I'm aware of were Dragon Quest V and VI which didn't even get a Western release until many years later on the DS.

I mean not even early PSX RPGs were were incredibly long, so Setsuna being about the same length as say Chrono Trigger or Suikoden 1 isn't really a detracting point.

Sometimes super long games that are 60+ hours long such as Dragon Quest 7 or Xenoblade while enjoyable, can easily wear out their welcome.

I seem to recall FF6 and Chrono Trigger both taking me 50+ hours on the first go.

I'm totally fine with a 20-25 hour RPG anyway, I don't really want another time consuming game in my life and 40 bucks seems like a fair price as well. It's the lack of difficulty that's problematic for me. Challenging optional content is as much a hallmark of classic JRPGs as super deformed knights and friendship saving the world.

I seem to recall FF6 and Chrono Trigger both taking me 50+ hours on the first go.

I'm totally fine with a 20-25 hour RPG anyway, I don't really want another time consuming game in my life and 40 bucks seems like a fair price as well. It's the lack of difficulty that's problematic for me. Challenging optional content is as much a hallmark of classic JRPGs as super deformed knights and friendship saving the world.

I agree. As good as The Witcher 3 is ( for example ), it's a daunting task to complete - especially with the DLC's attached. I'm perfectly fine with an RPG that isn't too long. Something that I can complete in, say, a week.

Dark_castle

It's one of the most awkward sounding video game title I've ever heard of. Aside from Sorrow and Sacrifice which would be a way better title, even calling the game just Setsuna would be an improvement, or something more generic like Legend of Setsuna, or Story of Setsuna.

Shin-chan

I'm still salty as fuck that Square is making us go in blind. Especially after their most recent low budget title from Japan was all but falling apart at the seams, it was cobbled together so cheaply.

I might put my pre order down tomorrow but I hope someone reputable accidentally uploads their review early.

ghibli99

I'm cautiously optimistic. Something about it looks a little too low budget/Dreamcast-era for my liking, but if the story and gameplay are good, that shouldn't matter too much.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
I'll wait for it to go on sale. This summer is all about getting through some of my backlog before Square's bigger games hit this fall. I'm sure this will be a great game, but unfortunately I don't have unlimited free time.

Kieli

The game looks really low budget. Graphics aren't particularly impressive, even on a artistic level.

But if it's a good jRPG, I'm in. Cool that it's on Steam.

jrcbandit

Sounds disappointing, if I want a RPG with old school drawbacks, I have a ton of classic JRPGs still in my back log to play. I still need to finish Grandia 2, FF 6 and 9, Trails in the Sky, Tales of the Abyss and Symphonia, etc.

Japanese response is tepid at best and it's not like there's a shortage or jrpgs coming out. SMT IV Apocalypse and Dragon Quest 7 are like four days apart.

I think I'll skip it. Already sitting through the lukewarm star ocean 5

I see - only thing on that list that sounds troubling to me is lack of character depth. I want to get to know my party members in an RPG.

As for name complaints I'd class them with box art complaints - shame if a good game misses casual sales for these reasons, but no bearing on my interest.

If it was still coming to the US on Vita it would be a day 1 title for me.

As it stands? I'll likely pick up later. It looks fantastic, but I have games on my PS4, just finished Zero Escape so I need something for my Vita...

AU Tiger

My hype died a bit when I learned that the
whole game takes place in the snowy region only.

Wow really? Hype leaving.. Will still probably play it though just because the SNES JRPG's were a cornerstone of my gaming as a teen and CT was my favorite but... yeah that kinda sucks.

Apt101

Square Enix RPG with turn-based, active battle and a charming art style? I been on this since I found out about it, and am eager to play it Tuesday.

There would probably be a lot of confusion with Salt and Sanctuary if it was called Snow and Sacrifice.

Apt101

It unlocks at midnight EST. My PSN ID is in my profile, I will probably stream at least an hour from the start of the game tonight, though I won't be using a mic or my camera or be entertaining. But, if anyone just wants to see it, hit me up.

Shahed

Will the PS4 pre order themes be available to buy seperately or later on? Don't plan on buying this anytime soon, but I want the themes

Top Bottom