• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone anticipating the game I am Setsuna?

Shin-chan

Does the pre order include the full soundtrack or just one song? Seems ambiguous.

I'd feel much better about the price if it was the full thing.

J-Skee

It must've just hit pre-order for PSN with the Tuesday update. I've been checking all last month. Will be the first game I digitally pre-order. The all piano soundtrack intrigues me as well. I love listening to Final Fantasy piano covers. Please be good.

Mexen

Japanese thread impressions have me even more hyped. I should calm down. I should just calm down.

zhixson

I'm super hyped for the game, and I also hope that it is super successful and ushers in a return to PS1 era Square when the budgets weren't so crazy and they could afford to be experimental. We might see craziness like Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, Einhander, and Vagrant Story again.

Yes, I know that indies are already doing that sort of thing, but I want Square to do it, dammit!

Zukuu

Banned
Seconds after watching the trailer for the first time this e3 and I went ahead and pre-ordered the game (which I rarely / never do). This is exactly everything what I want in a game. I miss the old jrpg times so much and I have to live in envy that we have so many "retro"-inspired games of almost every genre, except jrpgs. Could be even better with pre-rendered backgrounds, but it is close enough. The score is also absolutely amazing and I can't wait to hear it all. Alsomg worldmap %$§'+ <3

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Vita or bust. I'm sorry, but the older I get and the older my kids get, the harder it is for me to play RPGs in non-handheld systems.

:(

Seconds after watching the trailer for the first time this e3 and I went ahead and pre-ordered the game (which I rarely / never do). This is exactly everything what I want in a game. I miss the old jrpg times so much and I have to live in envy that we have so many "retro"-inspired games of almost every genre, except jrpgs. Could be even better with pre-rendered backgrounds, but it is close enough. The score is also absolutely amazing and I can't wait to hear it all. Alsomg worldmap %$§'+ <3

Yeah, as soon as I saw that it played like Chrono Trigger I was sold. I was skeptical about the score being all piano, but then I heard it and it's just beautiful.

Vita or bust. I'm sorry, but the older I get and the older my kids get, the harder it is for me to play RPGs in non-handheld systems.

:(

It really does suck... Maybe they'll have a change of heart.

martino

After SO5 reviews it's safe to not get excited for SE low budget JRPGs

if offcial vg critics / reviewer were doing their jobs for movies. the only good for them there would be michael bay like productions.

So no reason to worry because of them.

I'm curious with the art direction and chrono trigger similarities but still not enough to preorder the game. Really should have brought the vita version because i would be more likely to take a risk.

I was but the price plus the fact that there's so much stuff dropping that month means I'll wait for that price drop further down the road.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I sure am, but dropping the same day of MHX doesn't help.

No, I find that having any type of anticipation for JRPGs anymore leads to utter disappointment. Better to just be surprised when they are good. I may sound old saying this but they don't make them how they use to.

Between import impressions and the way they've been advertising the game, it's been hard for me to get too excited for it. Maybe I've just been soured by the numerous other smaller projects that claim to be a revival of the Good Ol' Days of JRPGs but completely fail to capture the subtleties that made those games special.

I'm also in the camp that would have sprung for the Vita version if they brought it over (and fixed the loading problems). Definitely would be looking forward to it more if it had a physical release in English as well.

Zafir

I've pre-ordered it on GMG with a code.

I almost didn't buy it because of the price though - got quite a lot of RPGs to play so didn't want to be paying full price for another one.

Joei

Pre-ordered the game today. Price was a tad hard to swallow, but I'm sure it's going to be worth it. Plus the backgrounds you get are kind of nice. Changed out my Bloodborne Nightmare theme for the 'Shiro' theme. Really looking forward to playing this.

Opa-Pa

I was planning to get it day one until not only they decided not to give us the Vita version but to make it a $40 digital only title lol.

Now I'll get it on sale maybe and all the hype shifted to Cosmic Star Heroine instead .

Gxgear

Just got my imported physical copy, apparently it's Japan exclusive I can't even get my cousin to find a copy in Taiwan. But good ol' amazon came through.

Pretty stoked.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I was originally thinking I'd be there day one, but I haven't finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions yet.

Definitely will get to it, though

DJIzana

I'm all about those throwback JRPG's or anything I love that I grew up with. Heck, with the exception of some games I'm playing now or coming out, I really only play JRPG's or Nintendo games because they're still just all that magical as they originally were.

Setsuna is one of three of the remaining games coming out I plan to get. The other two are No Man's Sky and FFXV ( obviously FFXV :p )

batbeg

No, I find that having any type of anticipation for JRPGs anymore leads to utter disappointment. Better to just be surprised when they are good. I may sound old saying this but they don't make them how they use to.

I'm not going to disagree with you but you're last comment strikes me as funny since this is them trying to make them like they used to lol

Not really.

It doesn't look that good (OST seems to be on point though), it's pretty expensive...

...and I already have more than enough JRPGs for the rest of the year (the seriously great TMS#FE and then Dragon Quest VII on top of some of my backlog games)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Between import impressions and the way they've been advertising the game, it's been hard for me to get too excited for it. Maybe I've just been soured by the numerous other smaller projects that claim to be a revival of the Good Ol' Days of JRPGs but completely fail to capture the subtleties that made those games special.

I'm also in the camp that would have sprung for the Vita version if they brought it over (and fixed the loading problems). Definitely would be looking forward to it more if it had a physical release in English as well.

Great post, echoes my feelings exactly. I'll still end up getting it but I'm no where near as enthused as I theoretically should be. Plus, I still have plenty of classic RPGs in my backlog to go through.

DKHF

So Europeans are basically fucked if they want to benefit from the pre order stuff but also want to wait for reviews. Thanks SE.
:( Sucks but it seems this game is at least decent from the reception it got in Japan so it's probably safe to pre-order if you have your expectations in check and really want the themes and soundtrack.

Top Bottom