• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone anticipating the game I am Setsuna?

Visceir

All-snowy world is putting me off of it a little. I don't care much for winter in real life and the last time I'm eager to do is hop into an all-winter themed game.

Secretly hoping they'll just go full on CT, hop into a time machine and get out of the snowy parts asap.

taco543

Thanks. I am now.

Op could maybe add screenshots/trailer to OP so that others can become hype without having to dig?

Hope it reviews well.

Yeah I'll post some more! really stoked for it!!!

The Digital Pre-Order themes:
1apOlQP.jpg

I-Am-Setsuna_2016_06-28-16_009.jpg

I-Am-Setsuna_2016_06-28-16_010.jpg

U.S Playstation store Link

Some Artwork:
I-Am-Setsuna_2016_06-28-16_001.jpg

I-Am-Setsuna_2016_06-28-16_002.jpg

I-Am-Setsuna_2016_06-28-16_003.jpg

And 11 minute long Everything you need to know from Playstation Access

Easy Allies E3 Impressions

psychodino

Neo Member
No
I just learned about it. I was surprised at what they are looking to accomplish with it gameplay wise.

• A great homage to JRPG masterpieces of yesteryear, using the latest technology to develop a truly memorable story and player experience and bring the authentic JRPG style to current hardware.
  • A new battle system inspired by the timeless JRPG classic, Chrono Trigger.
  • An emotionally impactful and memorable story which immerses players in the narrative of Setsuna, whose story portrays heartrending sorrow.
  • Beautiful character designs and varied in-game locales evoke nostalgia for classic RPGs.

Anyone looking forward to this? its coming to PC and PS4 July 19th, 2016

Shame people are criticizing this game solely based on comparisons with Chrono Trigger.

It's the "Chrono Cross effect" all over again.

Just preordered on PSN. Came with two very beautiful themes that play the piano theme. My most anticipated game right now and it's not even close.

Laws00

No

it looks boring to me. gameplay wise and visual

Love the music though

bravely default and 2nd do the justice for me on an old school take with a modern twist to it

Brix

I want more turn based JRPG's so yes I'm getting this. I want a physical release but they hasn't been announced. So digital it is ;)

Shin-chan

Any news how long the game is from importers? £32 is pretty steep for something that looks fairly low budget and short, but I am looking forward to it.

120v

for some reason i'm kind of not feeling the game but i'll get it to support the studio. it's success is contingent on us ever getting real sequels to seiken densetsu, saga, ect

Shame people are criticizing this game solely based on comparisons with Chrono Trigger.

It's the "Chrono Cross effect" all over again.

Well I mean the game's marketing has been leading consumers to draw those comparisons since day 1 lol. I don't think there's a press release for this game where Chrono Trigger isn't namedropped.

Honestly that's what I find off putting about this game. Seems like the classic JRPG comparisons are a broad and manipulative marketing angle more so than an accurate assessment of the game's style and quality.

taco543

Any news how long the game is from importers? £32 is pretty steep for something that looks fairly low budget and short, but I am looking forward to it.

Any place for impressions from people that imported?

The GAF japanese thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186070

Jrpg Review:
http://www.jrpgreview.com/setsuna.html

Kotaku Import Impressions:
http://kotaku.com/square-enixs-new-rpg-harkens-back-to-their-big-90s-clas-1766346390

Trusted Reviews:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/i-am-setsuna-review

Also trusted reviews says that its about 20-25 hours long.

I've been day one since we first saw gameplay. Still purchasing day one, but Monster Hunter Generations is going to be my priority. Setsuna can keep me company in late August/early September before I import Persona 5.

Shin-chan

Thanks that's a bit longer than I expected (I thought it would end up around 12-15 hours). Maybe I'll pick the game up on the American PSN to save some cash.

taco543

Thanks that's a bit longer than I expected (I thought it would end up around 12-15 hours). Maybe I'll pick the game up on the American PSN to save some cash.
Yeah I was honestly kinda surprised to read that too. Just made me more hyped for it lol.

Noirulus

Looks aight. Problem with a lot of these nice looking games nowadays is that visually, they look sublime but they have the gameplay and narrative depth of a slice of cheese.

Ryker

I should feel more excited for it, but I don't expect much out of Japanese storytelling and characterization these days. The gameplay looks alright. I'm a huge CT fan, but CT was always about more than the combat for me. It's even a surprise to me that I'm not too hyped, because I would've been falling over myself to play a title like this 2-3 years ago. Maybe it's better that my expectations are reigned in a bit, though. I might be pleasantly surprised. Not sure if I'm getting it day one, however.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
There are a few things keeping my interest down.

1) The price for a digital only release. I might be able to stomach $40 with a GCU discount and knowing that I'm getting an actual physical copy, but digital? No way I'm going in for that price for a throwback JRPG. Would rather just buy an old classic off of ebay.

2) Something seemed off about the E3 2016 trailer. It looks, lifeless? Slow? I'm not sure. Part of it was they called it timeless quest or something, which sounds like something Ubi Soft marketing would say.

Anyway, I'll definitely read up on impressions and possibly grab it after a big discount. The art and music sure seem lovely.

Exentryk

A nice little relaxing JRPG in the winter with good piano music and turn based combat? Hell yes!

Already have it pre-ordered on Steam. Game releases right after I get back from my holiday. So the timing is perfect!

Was excited to play this on Vita, hopefully Adventures of Mana does well enough so that SE considers releasing I am Setsuna to Vita as well.

Will get the Steam version. :)

Petrae

I *was* interested, until I saw that it's digital only, followed by what the asking price for the game is. Then my interest went away.

DocSeuss

I thought this was the game I saw at GDC, but it's not. They look really similar though. Now it bugs me that I don't know what it is.

I might check this out. Historically don't enjoy JRPGs, so I'll try it after a price drop.

Top Bottom