• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Emo Music Still Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waypoetic

Banned
I will be the first to admit that I never cared for the fashion aspect of the emo scene but I loved the music. Brand New, Straylight Run, Fall Out Boy (Early), My Chemical Romance (Early), Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, Panic At the Disco (Early), Hawthorne Heights, etc.

So if it's still around, what bands should I check out?

Panic is still around and I'm pretty sure they've been labeled as glam-pop for a long time. They, just as My Chemical Romance, have done a lot of albums based on themes and labeling them as emo just because they dressed funny for a particular album is pretty... I don't know, ignorant?

kiguel182

Yep, it's definitely more akin to 90's emo now than to 00's emo. You Blew It, Dads, Dikembe, Empire Empire (I was a lonely estate), Hightide Hotel and the likes. Then you have bands like American Football, Braid and The Jazz June that are reforming. They're just a few of the more mainstream "emo revival" bands. Pitchfork is really getting into emo revival bands.

00's emo is pretty much packed away for now.

This, except you forgot The Hotelier.

The scene is producing some amazing music right now but not in the fashion you described.

And Fall Out Boy is one of the biggest bands in the world right now even if they aren't doing pop-punk anymore.

This, except you forgot The Hotelier.

The scene is producing some amazing music right now but not in the fashion you described.

And Fall Out Boy is one of the biggest bands in the world right now even if they aren't doing pop-punk anymore.

I addressed that in my next post. One of my favourites from last year, no idea how I forgot it!

kiguel182

Also, someone should do a Emo community OT. There were talks about it on one of the Blink 182 threads but I don't think anyone pulled the trigger.

leakey

Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is one of my favorite albums ever. I still really enjoy every song in that album.

Agreed that it is a top-tier album. It's definitely not something I can listen to too often, though, unless I want to feel more down for some reason.

Yes and no. There's been a recent revival with tours by American Football and Mineral. But the real mid 90's - 2005ish emo, theres nothing like that anymore. Maybe Empire! Empire! I was a lonely estate is the closest.

I will be the first to admit that I never cared for the fashion aspect of the emo scene but I loved the music. Brand New, Straylight Run, Fall Out Boy (Early), My Chemical Romance (Early), Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, Panic At the Disco (Early), Hawthorne Heights, etc.

So if it's still around, what bands should I check out?

Bolded aren't Emo. Pop punk.

Edit: And to be honest, neither really are the rest of the bands you mentioned.

Arcia

Banned
I have no idea if Emo is still around, but I sure am glad I am no longer forced to listen to it. 2000's era Emo was aural torture when I was in high school

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
woah, had no idea Braid was still around

i need to go listen to some Jade Tree / Level Plane shit

i just remembered Kid Dynamite was a thing, used to fucking love those guys

most of those bands are just pop music. i'd say that New Found Glory s/t was really solid pop punk.

ghostjoke

Banned
I have no clue what emo even is.

Emotive Hardcore, originated out of Hardcore Punk, but its meaning got lost somewhere in the 00s when power pop and pop punk (not that there's anything wrong with those genres) bands got labelled as emo because of the band's appearance (Fallout Boy, MCR). I had a moment of amazing realisation in my late teens when I released I didn't hate emo, I just hated what was considered emo.

To add to "what's good emo these days":
https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

made my way through parts of it, some good stuff.

kris.

Banned
yeah, i'm familiar with None More Black

GOAT KD related album, though:

159.gif

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm really digging this current 90's emo revival.

One of my friends' bands is under that umbrella, which means I actually don't have to lie that much about how much I liked their sets.

Fatalah

American Football is pretty active right now. Last year, there was buzz about Midwestern emo coming back into vogue.

Panic is still around and I'm pretty sure they've been labeled as glam-pop for a long time. They, just as My Chemical Romance, have done a lot of albums based on themes and labeling them as emo just because they dressed funny for a particular album is pretty... I don't know, ignorant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

I still give Thursday's "Full Collapse on Impact" a listen every once in a while. Although I guess they were more hardcore.

Geoff Rickly was a gifted lyricist. Largely inspired by Bukowski's work.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I still give Thursday's "Full Collapse on Impact" a listen every once in a while. Although I guess they were more hardcore.

Geoff Rickly was a gifted lyricist. Largely inspired by Bukowski's work.
it's just "full collapse"

new brunswick represent

Fugu

I'm not really a fan of the music but I just have to say that it pains me to this day to hear "emo" and "screamo" being misused. I really feel for the anal-retentive fans of this genre; they must be going through some shit.

Zach

I really enjoy a lot of The Get Up Kids' stuff. Idle Will Kill by Osker, while probably considered more punk, is a great album that I feel is heavy on the emo. I don't really know about newer stuff. I feel like I'm leaving something out, though.

Oh god no, those are all post-hardcore/metalcore bands.

My Chemical Romance was post-hardcore up until The Black Parade (which was basically a super-bombastic '70s album), and then Danger Days was something else entirely. Seems rather weird to call them Emo if we're excluding post-hardcore.

I have no clue what emo even is.

The gist of it is that some bands took Hardcore Punk and, instead of singing about The Man and politics, sang about personal issues instead. The harder-than-thou-art crowd took issue with this and began labeling them "emo-core" as a derogatory term, and now it's used to describe any punk-ish band that has angsty lyrics and/or dresses a certain way.

Wish I could have seen them live at least once. Rickly ought to write a book or something.

He'd probably just plagiarise the whole thing anyway /s

Stereogums write up on the golden era of Emo is so fucking on point I don't even care that they skipped completely over the original bands: http://www.stereogum.com/1685920/30-essential-songs-from-the-golden-era-of-emo/list/

The gist of it is that some bands took Hardcore Punk and, instead of singing about The Man and politics, sand about personal issues instead. The harder-than-thou-art crowd took issue with this and began labeling them "emo-core" as a derogatory term, and now it's used to describe any punk-ish band that has angsty lyrics and/or dresses a certain way.

It was less about the content and more about being able to sing powerful songs with all the excessive yelling and brash music.

Thedevilandgodareraginginsideme.jpg

I can still listen to this album every once in a while. That's about as far as it goes for me. I'm sure some folks out there are still rocking out to TBS or old Dashboard, or whatever you defined as emo in middle/high school.

Yeah this one was pretty cool, I remember. Brand New, right? I've always had friends into the genre,and still do. It's never been my cup of tea though. Something about the vocals still sounds so whiny to me. I'd rather listen to something like Rites of Spring if I have to. are there more emo bands like them?

Yeah this one was pretty cool, I remember. Brand New, right? I've always had friends into the genre,and still do. It's never been my cup of tea though. Something about the vocals still sounds so whiny to me. I'd rather listen to something like Rites of Spring if I have to. are there more emo bands like them?

Still odd to think about seeing that band play in < 200 people halls and churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom