• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Emo Music Still Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do so many people argue about what is and isn't emo? Why does it matter if one band is emo or not?

because this thread is about emo? many people confuse punk-rock bands with emo bands, and they're very different. there are some punk-rock bands which have emo influences, but they're not "pure" emo bands, just punk-rock.

huxley00

Brand New still holds up for me. They're the only "emo" band that I still listen to leftover from my high school days. I actually just saw them live last October and they put on a great show. I heard rumors about a new album, but those pop up every time they announce a tour. I'm of the opinion that they haven't been emo since Deja Entendu but classifying music genres is weird and something no one can agree on.

Yeah, dat Brand New, so good. I would say they defy genre at this point as each album is very different style. I saw them back in 06 with Kevin DIvine and Manchester Orchestra, loved it.

Lender

I really enjoy a lot of The Get Up Kids' stuff. Idle Will Kill by Osker, while probably considered more punk, is a great album that I feel is heavy on the emo. I don't really know about newer stuff. I feel like I'm leaving something out, though.
Idle will kill is one of my favorite records of al time. Good to see others still appreciate it too.

Why do so many people argue about what is and isn't emo? Why does it matter if one band is emo or not?

Because there is a pretty clear difference when you compare stuff from bands like Jawbreaker, Jawbox, Braid, Rites of Spring, Crash of Rhinoes to stuff from Panic At the Disco, My Chemcical Romance, The Used, etc. One is more in line with emo and it's evolution of sound and the other is more pop oriented and an amalgam of genres.

Danchi

Seeing reunions from bands like Moss Icon, The Van Pelt, Braid, Mineral, etc. all around the same time has been kinda weird. Pitchfork reviewed the Moss Icon discog and called it "proto-post-hardcore" or something equally ridiculous.

I still listen to a lot of the 80s and 90s stuff, but most of the newer bands that get referred to as emo leave me kinda cold. I was never that into the super soppy stuff which is why Empire Empire, Joie de Vivre, and their ilk don't really interest me and I can't stand listening to yet another Kinsella-inspired twiddly guitar band that generally borders on math rock.

Human Hands are the best emo band around now. Indian Summer, Yaphett Kotto type stuff: http://humanhands.bandcamp.com/

kiguel182

I'll make an emo OT, what do you guys want in it

I'll echo what was said here and I think a small intro, some recommendations with youtube/bandcamp links and some joke about sadness in the title would be enough.

EDIT: The fact that this thread made some people discover The Hotelier makes it a success. Such an amazing record.

kiguel182

An I Hate Myself song should probs be the title.

I can't imagine it being anything but genre semantics though.

We would need to make a rule of no "this isn't emo" discussion.

Most people here are on the same page I think.

Except for the guy saying Hotelier isn't emo

Do you think that there's a difference between emo and emotional hardcore music?

Um.. do you think that hardcore punk bands that people call "true screamo" like Portraits of Past and Circle Takes the Square are emo bands?

Except for the guy saying Hotelier isn't emo

Phew, some songs are super close but to me it's more in line with the straylight run, drive thru, victory era of emo stuff (02-04ish). Digging it either way though. It's certainly more in line with the genre than some other bands I've seen mentioned (Silverstein).

Do you think that there's a difference between emo and emotional hardcore music?

Um.. do you think that hardcore punk bands that people call "true screamo" like Portraits of Past and Circle Takes the Square are emo bands?

I think in this case there is certainly a difference. I would never recommend someone listen to Circle Takes the Square (completely forgot about them) if they said they enjoyed emo. I would immediately think of Jimmy, Get up Kids, Brand New, etc when hearing emo from most people.

Danchi

They're screamo bands but it's all subgenres and semantics.

You could class Rites of Spring (mid-to-late-80s DC stuff), Indian Summer (classic mid-90s sound), The Promise Ring (mid-to-late-90s indie/emo), and Orchid (late-90s-early-2000s screamo) all as emo bands.

I mean they're all punk/hardcore bands really. They were all a part of the same DIY punk scene. It's just whether or not you think emo is a tainted word and don't want to use it.

kiguel182

Phew, some songs are super close but to me it's more in line with the straylight run, drive thru, victory era of emo stuff (02-04ish). Digging it either way though. It's certainly more in line with the genre than some other bands I've seen mentioned (Silverstein).

Really? They don't sound like that to me at all. Maybe the more fast paced songs but I think they pack a certain punch and write/sing in a certain way that it's more 90's or emo revival to me.

kiguel182

I'm proposing the title "My Chemical Romance isn't emo" for our future OT. I think it's needed.

Or it will just start things with people discussing what is or isn't emo. Double edge sword.

Seeing them at Groezrock in 2 months. So bloody stoked! I'm currently playing the album out loud in a big electronics store where I'm working. So damn good.

I'll be front and centre!

This year's shaping up super good for emo. Mineral, Knapsack, The Hotelier and You Blew It, gonna be rad.

And The Hotelier are closer to Mineral and SDRE than Jawbreaker or Texas Is The Reason were, and I don't think anyone's going to debate that any of those bands weren't emo

Not

Banned
Copeland just came out with a really cool double album. It features an alternate version of the album that you can sync along with the first one and they actually compliment each other.

The Hotelier are definitely an emo band
they just aren't very good ;)

THANK YOU. I don't get the hype for them at all

IMACOMPUTA

I saw the get up kids in chicago in September. Modern baseball opened for them. It was one of the best things.

A couple buddies of mine are in a band called Joie de vivre. I don't really get into their music but they're pretty popular.

nowarning

There's some good "proper" emo bands about but most modern bands aren't really my cup of tea. I really prefer the older style of bands like Christie front drive, Mineral, Texas is the reason etc. To me stuff like Modern baseball is absolutely garbage.

I saw Mineral last Tuesday, they were excellent. They played February followed by M.D. which is both sides of the 7" which is my favorite release so I can die happy now. Never in my life did I think I would get to see them.

I saw the get up kids in chicago in September. Modern baseball opened for them. It was one of the best things.

A couple buddies of mine are in a band called Joie de vivre. I don't really get into their music but they're pretty popular.

Haha awesome and small world, they are one of my favorite bands, the split they did with Prawn last year was really good. I saw them when they came to the UK a few years ago with Football etc. it was a fucking great show. For my money they are the best modern emo band about right now.

bengraven

I remember a SPIN article around 2001 which talked about the definition of "emo" and it was all acoustic music with black horn rimmed glasses and brown clothes.

How it ended up becoming goth fashion mixed with brat punk music I don't know.

NAPK1NS

No ones brought up Sleeping With Sirens? They're a quintessential emo sound and relatively popular. I hear them on the radio sometimes.

Edit: While not emo, the latest from Cloud Nothing's takes plenty of queues from the emo/post-hardcore sound.

http://youtu.be/JYrZDKL1mIk

because this thread is about emo? many people confuse punk-rock bands with emo bands, and they're very different. there are some punk-rock bands which have emo influences, but they're not "pure" emo bands, just punk-rock.

Because there is a pretty clear difference when you compare stuff from bands like Jawbreaker, Jawbox, Braid, Rites of Spring, Crash of Rhinoes to stuff from Panic At the Disco, My Chemcical Romance, The Used, etc. One is more in line with emo and it's evolution of sound and the other is more pop oriented and an amalgam of genres.

Its apparently not clear otherwise there wouldn't be so many arguments about what this band is or isn't.

Perhaps bands can fall into more than one genre the same way that all other media can be. I mean is the movie Avatar a fantasy, sci-fi, or action movie? Its all three.

Zukkoyaki

The type of bands that were considered "emo" about a decade ago have basically transformed into the metalcore and post-hardcore bands of today. Think artists like Blessthefall, Crown the Empire, The Word Alive, Like Moths to Flames, et cetera.

Some of the bands from the time mentioned in the OP are actually still around and kicking ass.

- Silverstein: Still awesome and set to release a new record in the near future
- Funeral for a Friend: One of the steadiest artists anywhere. Their 2011 record "Welcome Home Armageddon" is arguably their best and I think would be right up the OP's alley
- Senses Fail: First and foremost a post-hardcore band, but if you wanna get technical, I'd argue that almost all old "emo" bands are either post-hardcore or pop-punk. These guys put out an awesome album last year
- Bayside: is still tearing it up as well
- Finch: These guys actually just got back together and put out a stellar album. I'm seeing them live in April

If you're interested in some more recent bands that can fit that label, here's a few that are in my opinion worth checking out:

Emarosa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA-EiQPLDFI

Transit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzYRTnZ4riA

Get Scared: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aDoOrRkpPQ

City Lights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIX0kER8G_8

Forever the Sickest Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9A52UWmmrE

Enjoy :D

tm24

Heh, this entire time i've been filing Modern Baseball under pop punk. Broken Cash Machine is a great song

Zukkoyaki

They aren't an emo band they're a post hardcore band.

Eh, I really, REALLY, don't want to get into a discussion about music genres because they never end well. But I'd argue that many bands slapped with the emo label are indeed post-hardcore bands. But then lots of bands of various genres have been given that label as well. Brand New is more of an alt-rock band yet they're called emo. New Found Glory is a pop-rock/pop-punk band. Fall Out Boy was a pop-punk band for the longest time.

For what it's worth, I think Sleeping With Sirens is an awful band. Their sound is soooo auto-tuned and artificial. It's like T-Pain goes emo.

Anyway, I'm done haha. I don't want to inadvertently start an argument. To each their own! Enjoy music!

I remember a SPIN article around 2001 which talked about the definition of "emo" and it was all acoustic music with black horn rimmed glasses and brown clothes.

How it ended up becoming goth fashion mixed with brat punk music I don't know.

Because that's the fashion associated with emo at the time. And for the most part, with all of alternative music.

http://didntyouhear.com/the-hipster-has-evolved/

According to the chart, what I consider "emo" basically evolved into hipsters around 2001 or 2002.

Apparently goths just chose to become more colorful and took the name "emo" around that time since it was available after all the original emo people became hipsters.

And you just explained why the use of the word hipster to describe things and people is so dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom