• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Emo Music Still Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH you can probably have a lot of post-hardcore and emo bands be interchangeable depending on who you talk to.

Stuff like Finch, Senses Fail, The Used, Silverstein, Hawthrone Heights has always been considered in a weird limbo between emo and hardcore. Hardcore kids didn't want to be associated with them and "real" emo kids didn't think it was emo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, dat Brand New, so good. I would say they defy genre at this point as each album is very different style. I saw them back in 06 with Kevin DIvine and Manchester Orchestra, loved it.

I actually saw them during this tour too. I've seen them probably 6 times in total. I totally forgot about Kevin Divine until I read this post. He was good from what I remember, but he kind of went no where.

Dogg448

Eh, I really, REALLY, don't want to get into a discussion about music genres because they never end well. But I'd argue that many bands slapped with the emo label are indeed post-hardcore bands. But then lots of bands of various genres have been given that label as well. Brand New is more of an alt-rock band yet they're called emo. New Found Glory is a pop-rock/pop-punk band. Fall Out Boy was a pop-punk band for the longest time.

For what it's worth, I think Sleeping With Sirens is an awful band. Their sound is soooo auto-tuned and artificial. It's like T-Pain goes emo.

Anyway, I'm done haha. I don't want to inadvertently start an argument. To each their own! Enjoy music!

Oh yeah I'm totally with you because it's true that the emo label is just thrown around like crazy. When I hear Emo I think of The Promise Ring, Cap'n Jazz, American Football, Mineral, Christie Front Drive, Sunny Day Real Estate, and bands like that.

Yes I am not a fan at all of Sleeping With Sirens they just aren't my cup of tea but if people enjoy them I'm not gonna stop them listening them but when people mistake post hardcore with emo I just like to let them know what some real emo bands are and hope they travel down that rabbit hole of great music.

kiguel182

Copeland just came out with a really cool double album. It features an alternate version of the album that you can sync along with the first one and they actually compliment each other.

THANK YOU. I don't get the hype for them at all

It's not terrible, but I was expecting some "holy shit" moment based on the amount of hype I've seen that album get on here.

Yeah. Didn't like them at all.

The Hotelier are definitely an emo band
they just aren't very good ;)

A new song by Meraki/Toska released a few days ago.

I like their first song and that's about it.

And this thread was going so well...

To go on a slight tangent, which I hear "post-hardcore," I think of awesome bands like Drive Like Jehu, Rodan, At the Drive-In, Bear Vs. Shark, and The Fall of Troy. So I'm equally disturbed when 2000s mallcore get lumped into post-hardcore just as much as when it happens to emo.

Dogg448

To go on a slight tangent, which I hear "post-hardcore," I think of awesome bands like Drive Like Jehu, Rodan, At the Drive-In, Bear Vs. Shark, and The Fall of Troy. So I'm equally disturbed when 2000s mallcore get lumped into post-hardcore just as much as when it happens to emo.

You forgot Hidden in Plain View and Million Dead but I can forgive that since you said Bear Vs. Shark.

Yeah I would want to call it scenecore but I think that is a dying breed... maybe. I haven't been a teenager in a few years so I don't know if that breed still exist.

huxley00

I actually saw them during this tour too. I've seen them probably 6 times in total. I totally forgot about Kevin Divine until I read this post. He was good from what I remember, but he kind of went no where.

Yeah, I actually listened to a bit of his stuff, some pretty decent I think. Best part of that concert was Jesse going and singing on a track from each of the opening bands, really turned me onto Manchester Orchestra as well. I don't like as many of their newer albums but Mean Everything to Nothing was on constant rotation for a while.

That's kind of what I was alluding to before with calling a band like Senses Fail post-hardcore.

olympia

Touché Amoré and La Dispute are definitely the "new wave" of emo/post-hc. Brand New is supposed to be putting out a new album this year. Also OP you should check out Joyce Manor, I feel like they are in your wheelhouse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Nw2had9ck

I'm seeing Touché Amoré this Friday with Creative Adult. Pretty darn stoked.

FWIW I though Rooms of the House was the emo album of the year.

Danchi

FWIW I though Rooms of the House was the emo album of the year.

If we're talking about 2014, then my picks would be:

Plaids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_-kvqAZCQ
Human Hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjQS2s4Yz8
Temper and Hold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOsqpgR2lA
The Blue Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16dttDbZFA

That's actually a decent spread of the different styles associated with the genre too. Plaids with the early DC/Dischord influence, Human Hands and Temper and Hold with the more classic mid-90s sound, and The Blue Period with the later indie/emo stuff.

kiguel182

If we're talking about 2014, then my picks would be:

Plaids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_-kvqAZCQ
Human Hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjQS2s4Yz8
Temper and Hold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOsqpgR2lA
The Blue Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16dttDbZFA

That's actually a decent spread of the different styles associated with the genre too. Plaids with the early DC/Dischord influence, Human Hands and Temper and Hold with the more classic mid-90s sound, and The Blue Period the later indie/emo stuff.

I don't know any of this bands. Clearly I have a ton of listening to do. Thanks!

kris.

Banned
Linkin Park's older stuff was really good, but then they switched their sound to a more emo-style I didn't like. I haven't listened to their newer stuff, though, so that was an actual question.

There's absolutely nothing "emo" about anything Linkin Park's ever done.

Lender

Linkin Park's older stuff was really good, but then they switched their sound to a more emo-style I didn't like. I haven't listened to their newer stuff, though, so that was an actual question.

LP never ever could have been classified as emo.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Last year's best album was an emo album

(Home, Like Noplace Is There by The Hotelier)

Pretty late in responding, but thank you so much for this post. The day I saw this, I ended up listening to this album five times at work. It's seriously incredible.

I also found out about Tiny Moving Parts through familiar artists of The Hotelier on Spotify and really, really liked their album This Couch is Long & Full of Friendship. I ended up listening to that a few times too. Great stuff.

I listened to emo stuff quite a bit in high school and it's so good hearing really great new emo stuff.

Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is one of my favorite albums ever. I still really enjoy every song in that album.

Same here. I throw this on once every few months and it surprises me every time with just how damn good it is.

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread worth checking out. I haven't even heard most of them. Time to get listening!

janoDX

Is it my idea or I like more the Fall Out Boy from 'Folie a Deux' and onwards than the one from 'Take this to your Grave' to 'Infinity on High'?

I like Take This to Your Grave the most, but it's a pretty straight up pop-punk album like NFG. I can assure that their first EP is awful and should 100% be avoided.

kiguel182

It took too long for Tiny Moving Parts to be mentioned. I discovered them only recently but I loved both their records.

Also, Take This To Your Grave is probably my favourite FOB record but musically they have done far more interesting stuff in later records I think. They just keep producing great stuff.

And yeah, it's more of a pop-punk record but they are also associated to the whole glam-emo scene in a way.

I've been wanting to talk about emo on GAF forever, but there's didn't seem to be any presence in an appropriate thread. Glad to hear that a dedicated one will be made. I've been listening to nothing but The Casket Lottery for the past couple days.

Now that we'll have an emo thread if we just have a Math Rock thread I'd be set for music discussion on GAF. Glad to see the emo love here.

kiguel182

So, are The Sidekicks emo?

This new record is supposed to be amazing and, while I like it, I don't think it's really hitting me that hard.

Might as well post that I went to see Cursive last night. They played every song off The Ugly Organ, along with a couples songs each from their other albums (excluding the first two). They had a cellist along with them. It was pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom