• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it known as the RMV or DMV in your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaly

Waiting for my number to be called up. In Massachusetts it's known as the RMV.

Edit: The R stands for registry.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona: Motor Vehicle Division
Arkansas
California: DMV
Colorado: DMV
Connecticut: DMV
Delaware
Florida
Georgia: Department of Driver Services
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois: Secretary Of State Facility
Indiana: Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Iowa
Kansas: DMV
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland: Motor Vehicle Administration
Massachusetts: Registry of Motor Vehicles
Michigan: Secretary of State
Minnesota: Driver and Vehicle Services
Mississippi
Missouri: DMV
Montana
Nebraska: DMV
Nevada: DMV
New Hampshire
New Jersey: Motor Vehicle Commission
New Mexico: MVD
New York: DMV
North Carolina: DMV
North Dakota
Ohio: Ohio
Oklahoma: Department of Public Safety
Oregon: DMV
Pennsylvania: DMV
Rhode Island: DMV
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas: Department of Public safety / DMV / DOT
Utah
Vermont
Virginia: DMV
Washington: DOL (Dept of Licensing)
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Queensland: Department of Transport and Main Roads (DOT)
Nova Scotia (Canada): RMV
Victoria Australia: VicRoads
Ontario, Canada: MTO (Ministry of Transportation of Ontario)
Quebec: SAAQ

Chojin

Georgia its the DDS. Department of Driver Services.

When I lived in New Mexico it was the MVD.

Every other state I've lived in was DMV.

Jebusman

Banned
Here in Nova Scotia (Canada) it's RMV. Although now they've mostly been folded into "Access Nova Scotia" locations, which are RMV + other civilian documentation/information (like birth records and whatnot).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
DMV because our state isn't trying to be a special snowflake:
Edit: it's also illinois

akileese

In Texas you have the DMV, which is for registration, titles, stuff like that. You have the DPS (Department of Public Safety) which is for licenses and such. You also have DOT which does road stuff. Also in North Texas there is the NTTA, which strictly maintains the North Texas toll roads.

Ron Swanson was right.

Minnesota: Driver and Vehicle Services

Honestly never had a problem. Good service. No lines.

Yeah there are a lot of good ones here, actually. Never had a particularly painful experience.

I think everyone in the U.S. calls "the place where you renew your driver's license" the DMV regardless of whatever its local acronym is. It's sort of a culturally uniform thing at this point.

Massachusetts: RMV, but if you say DMV everybody knows what you're talking about.

For young folks who may not get the "RMV/DMV is horrible meme" that pervaded media/life for decades, most state's DMVs used to be truly horrible before states started to move things online or over the phone. They are still generally bad experiences, but back in the 90s, if you wanted to, say, renew your vehicle registration (something most states require you to do every few years), you'd have to take a day off from work and spend usually 2 - 3 hours inline at the RMV on a good day. They had one of those deli-counter-like numbering systems and the waiting rooms were hard wooden benches and people who had to take their 3 or 4 kids in with them, and it'd be hot and horrible. And because most people only go a handful of times, nobody knew what to do or where to be, the staff was notoriously rude (because they're there every day and they don't get the concept that for most visitors, they haven't been in 3 or 4 years), and sometimes you'd wait in line for an hour only to get to the front of the line to find out that you were in the wrong line or you took a number for the wrong area ("Oh, this is a number for registrations, sorry you need to take a number for registration RENEWAL") and then you'd have to wait again.

The wait times are still fucking ridiculous as the RMV in my city, like 90 minutes if you go between 8am - 10am or 11:30am - 1:30PM, or 3PM - 5PM, but there's an RMV about 30mins north of me in a smaller town that has shorter waits, so I usually drive to that one when I have to go. But, now-a-days there's fewer times when I need to go because MA does not require you to renew your registration in person anymore, and you only need a new license photo once every 10 years instead of once every 5. THough even while a lot of this has moved online, when I needed a new photo 5 years ago, it still sucked and I had to take half a day from work to do it.

Lkr

Pretty sure it's the DMV in Florida but I haven't had to go in a couple of years so it might have changed or I could be misremembering

Ecto311

dmv in colorado - there is a dot but they "fix" shit on the road the DMV is where I go to wait all fuckin day to get a new license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom