• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch potentially becoming the main console for many now?

emalord

In my home there will always be a NINTENDO console because NINTENDO games are truly special and unique.
But I'm also 50 and as much as NINTENDO games are fun, they also relay on well-oiled formats that rarely spice up my life because they are kind of expected.
In my home PlayStation will always be the brand for mature games and unexpected exclusives, PC will be the place for install problems and awesome graphics and NINTENDO consoles will always be there for those few moments I need fun, just pure fun.

I'm not the one constructing a narrative. If (or OP) want to make claims, the onus is on you to back them up.

People buying games for one system doesn't mean they've abandoned others.

Extrapolating from any sample of this forum is meaningless, and you haven't done much to even prove the 40% you keep saying in the first place.

It's completely reasonable for people to doubt (or even mock) statements that have no proof to back them up.

Once again, some people will certainly use their Switch as their primary device. The same can be said of almost any console ever released. This thread asserts that a significant number of multi-console Switch owners will do so. I don't see any evidence proving that.

The OP is specifically asking other people on this forum if they have noticed the same trend on this forum that he has, i.e. is the Switch becoming the main console for posters on this forum. And then he's asking why that may be (which is what I think is the interesting question).

I don't believe he's making any claim that there's a substantial portion of the general gaming population doing this, or that Gaf represents that gaming population. So I don't think he's expecting there to be any data to back this up. But we do have plenty of posts in this thread backing up his observation, so I think it's a perfectly fair observation to make.

I will agree with you that the 30-40% number seems to come from nowhere though, since you can't just take the amount of posts here in this thread as representative of Gaf Switch owners. But this is completely about anecdotal evidence, and there's plenty in this thread to back up OP's point.

KORNdoggy

considering how many switch port begging posts you get throughout gaf, i would at least say there is a desire for it to be their primary system. but i just don't see a future where that will ever become a reality. a LOT of games simply will not appear on the switch.

BibiMaghoo

My only console actually. I know I'm missing out and I' itching to buy a PS4 for Horizon and rhe upcoming RDR2..

But, I barely have time to game. Full time job, looking to buy a house with my fiancé, reading a MA at Uni, and doing part-time photography leaves no room for excessive gaming. So my Switch is enough for now.

- 155 hours on Zelda
- 60 on Mario Kart
- 15 on ARMS.

That is like 12 hours a week, a full day of game time out of every 7. I think you are good for having time to game with those hours clocked.

Despera

Banned
Would like to join in the fun but the damned thing hasn't officially launched here yet.

The ones being sold locally go for ~$550... and I got tired of checking online for units in-stock at a reasonable price.

Guess I'll wait a while until it's available everywhere. Metroid Prime 4 should be out by then as well.

I've stopped gaming on my switch PS4 pro and Xbox one S for a 20 year old Sega Saturn....

21963550.jpg

Nope. My Switch is sitting there collecting dust. I play my PS4 almost every day.

While Zelda is one of the best games I've ever played I'm now worried the switch will suffer the same fate as the Wii U in my living room...

Every system that releases does this to some extent. I really doubt anyone deep in the PS or Xbox ecosystems saw the Switch with basically Zelda and Mario Kart (and Arms I guess) and was just all in.

PSFan

Lot of condescending tones towards Switch owners here. I'm a Switch only gamer and I can't help some people take their love for the machine a bit too far and some of you feel there are too many Switch threads or port begging or whatever. Personally I'm just happy to have a console tailoring perfectly to my life style and so far this year I have probably played more games than last two years combined. It feels like I've rediscovered gaming again, and all I really have to say about this is that it's less about Nintendo fanboyism and more about being offered a new way to play that speaks to me.

It's definitely my "summer console" for now. I rather hang out at the pool playing indies on the Switch than play triple A releases on my PS4 pro.

I just finished Shantae - which was pretty good, and am playing the ... well ... decent Oceanhorn right now.

I value the Switch's "off-TV" aspect very much but also the fact that it's so easy to pick it up and put it away. PS4's suspend mode is neat and all, but i don't really feel like keeping my console suspended for days.

Very much looking forward to Mario+Rabbids.

Honestly, the Switch doesn't feel like such a new way to play to me. I'm one of those whose Switch hasn't been touched since finishing Zelda almost 3 months ago. I still prefer my 3DS or Vita for "on the go" gaming. The Switch really isn't that different than those 2 to me. Both are far more portable than Switch. And both IMO, have far, far better games than on the Switch.

I've pretty much been occupied with both Yo-Kai 2 games nonstop because they're so much fun and there's so much to do in them. Going back to the smaller screen hasn't bothered me a bit. I really don't give a shit about what resolution or FPS a game has.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I dont have enough time between my PC and PS4 Pro to play my Switch (as its my 3rd choice platform)

Same. Super regret buying Arms digitally (stupid drunk impulse purchase) as I can't get motivated to play it over Tekken 7 on PC and Injustice 2 on PS4 Pro, especially after getting the Tekken 7 fightstick.

MK: 8 has been under played as well, and especially so for Puyo Puyo Tetris (can't get motivated to learn Puyo). I have finished Zelda and still mess around some in that and have over 80 hours, finished Master Blaster Zero and Kamiko as well, and have put a fair amount of time into Binding of Issac and Shovel Knight.

So it's gotten plenty of use for a third platform. I just need to snap out of the honeymoon phase and stop buying retail games I don't have the time/interest for currently as I'm bad about doing that the first few months with a new console.

Nope.

My list goes

1. PC
2.PS4
3. XBOX one
4. Switch

I just bought Arms but it hasn't peaked my interest so far. I also don't really care for the mobile aspect of the switch so i just keep it docked 24/7.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Joining my PS4 Pro this weekend as long as i can find one lol.....picking up Zelda too. Gotta admit, that it was Nintendo's E3 showing that finally pushed me off the fence. Zelda will be amazing, as will Mario in October. I do most of my gaming on my PS4 Pro and i don't suspect that will change too much once i get my Switch but you better believe, i'm going to love every second and do everything in Zelda, Mario, and eventually Yoshi and Metroid Prime 4 once their out.

#Teamswitchstation

HvySky

I wouldn't say it's my "main console" but I'm currently in a PS4 / Switch situation and loving it thus far. I skipped over the Wii U and it's nice to own a Nintendo system again.

iavi

The switch doesn't even have the library to be anyone's main system yet. And I'll always own Nintendos systems, but hey haven't been my primary gaming platform since the 64

Its PC, then PS4, then XB1, then Wii U. The switch is awesome as a party device but needs more meat before I play it regularly alone

ksamedi

That is like 12 hours a week, a full day of game time out of every 7. I think you are good for having time to game with those hours clocked.
How many hours do tou sit on the toilet a day? How many hours do you commute? If younadd that up, switch makes those hours possible. I clock about 12 hours a week as well but I wouldnt be able to on my PS4.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
No. The PS4 is the "main console" in the house (as it's my only current-gen console), but even that isn't really my main gaming platform - I do most of my current-gen gaming on PC and also spend a lot of time on my CRT retro setup. I only have the PS4 for its exclusives. It gets used a decent amount, but not all the time.

I wouldn't say that I don't want a Switch, but right now it isn't a priority. Zelda is the only selling point so far for me.

Ifrit

For me so far it's pretty much zelda (and maybe mk8), the awesome pro controller and the promise of good exclusives.

For multiplat games I prefer them on PC or PS4

Schlep

The switch doesn't even have the library to be anyone's main system yet.

Kinda disagree. I only put in 5-10 hours of gaming a week, so take it for what you will, but I have plenty to keep me occupied on the Switch. Finishing Zelda, Disgaea, and popping into Mario Kart here and there. Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 incoming (plus possibly FIFA and Fire Emblem Warriors).

I can understand if those games aren't for everyone, but I don't think library is an issue as far as being a main system. It's not like Wii or Wii U that often went weeks if not months between high profile releases.

I have little interest in the other two consoles and have a PC so the Switch is a great companion system. I play 99% in handheld mode and will use it as my go-to machine for indie games.

I could buy something like Axiom Verge on the PC but I know I will get a tonne more play out of it on the Switch. Same thing with Snake Pass; I bought it today because of the 40% sale. It was slightly more expensive than Steam and is obviously a technical downgrade but I know I will play it a lot more on the Switch than PC.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How many hours do tou sit on the toilet a day? How many hours do you commute? If younadd that up, switch makes those hours possible. I clock about 12 hours a week as well but I wouldnt be able to on my PS4.

I take quick shits, drive myself to work, have little downtime outside the house and have a mancave with my gaming TV that I don't share with my fiance (there's an even better TV in our media room. :D I probably game 20-30 hours most weeks. Benefit of not having kids, having a reasonably flexible job and being an introvert with an introverted significant other who also needs a lot of alone time.

But yeah, Switch and portables in general are great for people who have to cram their gaming in here and there where they can.

Kinda disagree. I only put in 5-10 hours of gaming a week, so take it for what you will, but I have plenty to keep me occupied on the Switch. Finishing Zelda, Disgaea, and popping into Mario Kart here and there. Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 incoming (plus possibly FIFA and Fire Emblem Warriors).

I can understand if those games aren't for everyone, but I don't think library is an issue as far as being a main system. It's not like Wii or Wii U that often went weeks if not months between high profile releases.

Yeah it's just down to tastes. If someone is more into mainstream AAA games (especially western ones) the Switch will never be a main system for them. Especially if they're like me and playing 20-30+ hours a week as we need more games and more variety in games to keep us satiated.

Someone like you for whom the library meshes well with your tastes and who have a lot less time for gaming, Switch is more than fine as a main or sole console.

Sony said their MAU hours are up YoY, MS the same, so based on that the answer to your question would be no.

Yep, some are just overgeneralizing their experience and the experience of many Switch owners.

Yes, it's great for some who need to squeeze gaming in where ever they can as it makes it easier for them to finish games as they just don't have the time/opportunity to log a bunch of hours at a TV. Be it they're away from home a ton, or they don't have enough TVs in the house and have to fight for screen time with the kids, SO, roommates etc.

However the huge success of the PS4, that the X1 is doing ok as well--especially in the US--and the success of big, endless games like Destiny along with the usually time sinks like CoD, Fifa etc. show that the majority of the mainstream market is fine just gaming on their big screens a few nights a week and/or on the weekends.

I think the eastern market is very different. The millennial market is also likely different as wages and employment are lower for them than us older generations so they don't have the luxury of houses with multiple big TVs etc. if they're starting families. So I do think the preference for flexiblity in gaming is there and maybe growing. But it's far from the dominant market--yet still a very smart niche for Nintendo to cater to as they had no chance at competing with PS4 with a traditional console box coming out mid generation.

PKrockin

There's at least thirty people in this thread who said it. Almost half of the people who say they have a Switch. A few anecdotes fuck outta here with that bullshit. Now whether that constitutes many (it does) may be debatable over whether you think many only applies if it's a vast majority of Switch owners (it doesn't), but even if it's just 30-40% of Switch owners, that's a pretty remarkable thing for a Nintendo console. Probably hasn't been that high in a decade. That validates the OP. And drought on the Wii U? Both MK8 and BotW are available on the Wii U. More likely a lot of Switch owners didn't even have a Wii U.
You're right, this is so much more than a few anecdotes. You should submit this thread to an academic journal.

The reason I haven't bought one yet is because they still haven't added streaming services like Netflix. If it's going to be my main system then it needs those apps.

Don't have one yet but plan to get it. Problem is I have no time to play and a subutilized PS4, WiiU and 3DS, plus a crappy laptop. PS4 and Wii U cover my home console itch while 3DS is still doing a nice job in the handheld gaming, considering I have yet to experience some of its gems.

About the question from the OP I think people want it to become there only console, but as things are developing right now, I think PS4/Switch or PC/Switch is a nice way to cover a lot of gaming ground.

EdgeXL

Nintendo is my favorite first party game company so my Switch is for their games and Indies that make it onto the platform. I hope the Switch becomes an indie powerhouse like the Vita. Xbox is my primary platform and PS4 for Sony's exclusives.

OCD Guy

Switch is now my main console, I don't have as much time nowadays as I used to and the portability of the Switch let's me play games more than I could if I had to be tethered to a tv at home.

OCD Guy

Nope. It's too weak.

Yeah to be honest that does piss me off at times. I know many say there's only so much they can do given the form factor, which is true to an extent, although Nintendo could easily have used the Tegra X2 and delayed the console slightly.

I just tend to avoid the crappy multi-platform games.

If I could game on a tv as much as I'd like then the Switch wouldn't be my main console...

Persona7

Banned
My switch is basically a door stop at this point. Ancient full price ports of games I've gotten on sale years ago does not appeal to me at all. It's weak, accessories are expensive, the battery is fucking garbage, the pro controller is garbage.

On top of that, Nintendo has no problem releasing full priced half assed games with day one patches and shitty DLC. It's basically the worst system I've ever owned.

My switch is basically a door stop at this point. Ancient full price ports of games I've gotten on sale years ago does not appeal to me at all. It's weak, accessories are expensive, the battery is fucking garbage, the pro controller is garbage. It's basically the worst system I've ever owned.

Try the newer releases that aren't "ancient ports" then. There is plenty of content out on the Switch of all kinds now.

Crazyorloco

It is my main system right now. Getting close to being the best system I’ve owned. Just needs Virtual console, smash Bros., and some fire emblem games. Heck I’m always traveling with my switch and I carry a battery pack (charged nightly) so the battery issue isn’t much of an issue.

I have an Xbox one and I don’t really use it much anymore. I play overwatch and rainbow 6 siege on it...I’ve had those games for awhile now.

It's my main console. I'm at a point in my life where I can't Game in front of a TV no matter how much I tried. Hell, I've never even connect my Switch to the TV and have sold the Dock and plastic grip here on Gaf.

It's going to have the 3rd party support and token western 3rd party games sprinkled in here and there along with Nintendo 1st party. I couldn't ask for more besides a better battery life.

Fake Edit: This will be the Gen I dive into Nintendo's VC when it launches. Please Please Please! Bring GameCube games to the VC. GameCube is one of my favorite systems of all time.

pixelation

Why would it be my main console?, it can never be... why?, abscense of the heavy hitters (due to tech that's not up to par with the others, not even in the same ballpark) and i don't want to subsist solely out of a Ninty diet.

I will share this.

For years, my mind has conflicted with the direction games were going. I didn’t like how it felt like games designed for handhelds were releasing on consoles, like Stardew Valley. Likewise, I didn’t like how games that should have been console games were releasing on handhelds, like Resident Evil Revelations.

I feel like the Switch is mutual perfection. It feels so good to play games like Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge, and Golf Story on a handheld, yet it feels like an added bonus the game can be played on a big HDTV, and on the flipside, it’s a bonus to play full blown console games on a handheld, like Doom, LA Noire, Skyrim, NBA 2K18, Zelda, etc.

Qwyjibo

For the first time, I'm strongly considering buying a Switch thanks to Mario and Xenoblade coming out soon. But I can't ever see it becoming my "main console" over my PS4.

The Switch would just be a "Nintendo machine" with maybe the odd indie that's handy to have on the go for me. But for any multi-platform game that doesn't come to PC (#1 choice, obviously) I can't see myself ever choosing the Switch version over a PS4 version. Being able to play NBA 2K or whatever on to go means very little when it will be a clearly inferior version of the game.

Top Bottom