• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

RowdyReverb

i don't get mad at video games.
Me neither anymore, even when getting trounced in online multiplayer.
I don't think I've been truly mad at games since I was a kid playing infuriatingly difficult NES games. Never broke a controller, but I think I slammed the power switch off a few times

Onaco

When I was a kid, I'd throw a controller across the carpeting, but no. I am mostly calmer when losing games now. I snapped an AOL giveaway disc from the store for fun though. Don't do that.

Handy Fake

When I was a kid, I'd throw a controller across the carpeting, but no. I am mostly calmer when losing games now. I snapped an AOL giveaway disc from the store for fun though. Don't do that.

When you snap an AOL disk, both halves regenerate into a full, working disk. There are islands in the Maldives stacked high with them. Thery're natural nomads and reproduce like rabbits on meth.

I remember throwing and breaking a controller once when I was a kid. When I went crying to my parents about it they told me it's my own fault and made me save up my pocket money to get a new one.

That worked wonders. ;)

xealo

Some people have anger management issues, and others do not. That's really all there is to it, when it gets to the point of controllers flying into walls or snapping discs.

I have never done this sort of thing, the most I can remember doing was tossing a gameboy cartridge at the couch once out of frustration when I was a child.

But it's not really hard to understand. People's brains are wired differently than yours, they react to sudden emotional changes differently and are not using their best judgement when they do these things. This isn't an excuse or saying that it's acceptable, but it's an obvious answer. It's the same sort of thing that prompts people to slam doors, flip off other drivers, or punch a person they're in an argument with.

muteki

I'd throw controllers all the time as a kid, but you can't exactly break cartridges. Stakes were higher, and controllers were more resilient.

By the time discs came into play I was an adult.

Lamptramp

Pounded through many a joystick in my youth. Also pulled my mate's in half when he was spamming me with E.Honda bitchslaps on the Amiga.

:)

rAl0ssJ.jpg

I'm sure a game has massively frustrated me in the past but I don't recall a specific one or what it did, certainly I don't recall smashing any hardware.

I did wreck my hand punching a wall in a moment of sheer anger, so I can understand how some things could make you rage. That was a truly idiotic stage manager who was a danger to himself, cast and crew and at the time it was either the wall or his face. That was some years ago mind and I've grown, I'd never punch a wall like that again.

Yukinari

When you snap an AOL disk, both halves regenerate into a full, working disk. There are islands in the Maldives stacked high with them. Thery're natural nomads and reproduce like rabbits on meth.

Might as well use your AOL discs as drink coasters or turn them into modern art.

Handy Fake

Might as well use your AOL discs as drink coasters or turn them into modern art.

There are groups of mercenaries employed with the sole purpose of hunting down and elimating rogue AOL disks in the wild.

:)

rAl0ssJ.jpg

I'm sure a game has massively frustrated me in the past but I don't recall a specific one or what it did, certainly I don't recall smashing any hardware.

I did wreck my hand punching a wall in a moment of sheer anger, so I can understand how some things could make you rage. That was a truly idiotic stage manager who was a danger to himself, cast and crew and at the time it was either the wall or his face. That was some years ago mind and I've grown, I'd never punch a wall like that again.

latest

Because its a non answer if you are that blinded by rage then you can get professional help. I figure most of these people are just acting out or immature.
You do realize "acting out" or "immature" rage behavior are in fact probably brought on by very real issues with anger management and coping skills correct? Your dismissive attitude about a very real issue that many people struggle with is pretty gross.

Many people with mental and behavioral issues lack the necessary income and/or opportunity to seek professional help, which is nothing to say of the environment they may be willingly subjecting themselves to wherein nobody is there to support a decision to get professional help. Having issues with anger/rage is a vicious cycle that's extremely difficult to break and self-monitor. Throwing a controller across the room or snapping a disc in-half is a tiny symptom in ocean of other potential issues.

Alexm92

My brother did this with the last snes controller in my house a few years ago. I died a little inside. Never did replace it either.

Fisty

Yeah trying to finish Kid Buu with a Spirit Bomb on Very Hard in Budokai 3 cost me a controller. Calmed down, grabbed another controller, and did it perfectly on the next try.

See GAF, rage solves problems

Stiler

Sometimes you get mad, you get upset, you just want to hit/throw something.

Why do you think they make/sell stress balls and things?

I did it when I was younger and I'm far better at controlling it but sometimes something happens that's just complete bs in a game and I still want to hit/throw something, only now I have harmless things on my desk to release that frustration on instead of hitting/throwing something like my controller or keyboard.

Justinh

I've thrown some controllers in my day but honestly I'm long since past those times.

The only controller I remember throwing was a Wavebird way back in the day. It didn't break, though. I think you'd really have to try to get one of those things to break. It just bounced from the floor to the wall then back at me.

I never heard of someone snapping a disc. Why would anyone do that, lol? That's just admitting defeat (well, moreso).

It's one thing if you're a kid whose parents can just buy another product (if they wanted to).

I can't understand why people would deliberately break their own property in anger, period.

Lorcain

The worst that I can remember was playing a C64 crpg called Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday by TSR. I spent hours and hours working my way through that game. I was heavily invested in the story and my party of 6 characters. I didn't play a lot of crpgs at that age, mainly because they required way too much focus and commitment. But I stuck with the game, and after a lot of frustrating reloads I made it the end segment.

The ending was a gauntlet of very challenging turn based encounters (for me) with everyone's favorite gameplay mechanic (hi xcom 2!)...a turn time limit. I was able to win most of the battles, but I could never do it before the turn counter reached 0.

After many reloads, I was finally able to push through and successfully destroy the dreaded Doomsday Device. I was so excited to see the conclusion and read about my party's heroic impact on the universe. Instead, the game fades to black and does something like this (I've tried to block it out of my memory so this may not be 100% accurate):

CONGRATULATIONS YOU SAVED THE WORLD

THE END *MUTHERFUCKER

I remember sitting there for a couple of minutes just staring at the monitor screen seething. I finally removed the floppy disk out of the drive, opened my 2 story window, and flung it outside like a frisbee. That was the extent of my rage. Of course my dad found it in the bushes later that day and brought it inside.

*My own addition because that's how my brain remembers it

styl3s

I wasn't raised by wealthy parents so I respected everything I had.
So only rich kids break their stuff?

I don't think there is a mentality behind people who snap discs and break controllers i think it's just a combination of things and anger if you don't want to hear that OP. People have shitty days and look to gaming to relax and when that just makes them angrier they snap. The only time i ever came close to breaking anything was i repeatedly lost NFS Underground 1 or 2's final race the AI would cheese me every single fucking time and i took my hands and bent the controller to where i heard something crack then snapped out of it and luckily it worked i didn't notice anything wrong.

I've gotten mad before and flung a controller into something soft like my bed or a couch but never smashed it onto the floor or anything like that.

My roommate the first year of college was really into TF2 and would go absolutely crazy thoug. He would scream punch his desk he even straight up punched his metal bed frame a couple of times. I honestly expected him to start attacking me a couple of times. I just don't get it really usually when a game is making me upset I mostly just get extremely apathetic and just stop playing.

One of my friends used to get so mad he would rip the doors off of their hinges. None of the doors inside their place are on hinges lol

I don't get that angry. If I get mad, it's to take a breather. Not gonna smash my stuff.

I've never done it, but I get why people would throw a controller. It's an instant thing, people react without thinking when they're frustrated.

But getting off your ass, walking to your console then waiting for the disk to eject before snapping it can't be boiled down to a knee jerk reaction.

I've tossed a controlled into the couch a few times but never broke one. I did almost throw my 360 out the window when I was on my 4th RROD console. It was dirty and non functional when I opened the box from Microsoft warranty services. That was so frustrating!

DMONKUMA

Maybe people have issues and like to break things. Then again......I know several people that just drink heavily instead of throwing a tantrum.

Fbh

When I was a kid I did sometimes throw my controller (though always towards the couch so it wouldn't break).

But yeah. Adults doing this shit makes me think they have some sort of anger management issues.

As a fun side note. Today I had a customer who came to purchase a phone because he had destroyed the last one with a hammer because he got mad at it

pablito

I broke one controller when I was a kid. I did have some anger issues. Nowadays I just make faces at the games and say "are you serious?" I mean...we play games because we enjoy them...right? If it's making you break stuff, maybe it's time for a different game.

I once threw my 360 controller to the other side of the room. It bounced of the wall, fell on the floor, bounced again through the door. Then it went down the stairs, hitting almost every step.

I got up. Walked downstairs. Put the chatpad back on and that was it. No cracks, dents or other damage.

Can't remember why I threw the controller though, or what game I was playing.

Het_Nkik

I threw a PSP at the wall and then ripped it apart.

I wasn't playing a game, I was trying to remove a large piece of dust out from under the screen and ended up fucking the LCD up. Got mad and it was ruined anyway so I killed it off. Felt good.

Literally no idea how that dust got there. I was playing LocoRoco, put the game down for 5 minutes to get up and do something, came back, and it was just sitting there near the middle of the screen under the glass. Bizarre.

charsace

Last time I broke a game was during the NBA 2k GAF league. Weeks of domination and I was on my way to winning the playoffs and the league got corrupted. I broke my disk and quit 2k for years and only returned to the series years later with 2k15 on xbox one.

Controllers and games are expensive. The one and only time I raged out and destroyed something was when I kicked my closet and broke the hinges after getting my ass kicked by Jinpachi in T5 for like the 10th time.

Haganeren

Never broke controller but i can be quite vocal when i'm alone in front of a game... Never in front of other players so i don't think it's anger management problem.

It's just... Well... Distressful ? I don't know how to put it another way.

Broke a few controllers playing FIFA. It's one of many reasons I've stopped playing it.

Overwatch is super rage inducing but I'm past my controller murdering days.

neoemonk

I don't break anything but I swear up a storm when things aren't going my way. I quit Rocket League because I hit a ceiling and got tired of getting my ass kicked.

I broke a SNES controller when I was in high school but my mom never paid for anything so I had to replace it myself, and that was the last time I broke anything because I realized how stupid it was.

Kudo

Once got killed in Runescape and lost my gear so I just used the red voltage switch in my power supply to blow up my computer.

Nowadays I only get little agitated when playing PVP, sometimes I can feel irritated if I get stuck in some boss but nothing special really, it's all for fun after all.

Sesha

They most likely have anger management issues.

I've never snapped a disc or broken a controller. But I have shaken and hit my controllers into other surfaces before, mostly when I was young. And I do have anger issues, ever since I was very young.

I get pretty irritated playing online.

Whenever I see that my team in Overwatch is playing the game like TDM, I can hear the controller squeak in my hands due to how hard I'm gripping the controller. It's all I can do to keep from throwing it across the room.

I get it but I'm not dumb enough to actually do something like that. You just want to vent your anger. I usually throw the controller on the bed or just punch a pillow. I know I'll end up regretting breaking a controller or a game forever so why would I do it

Snapped a game once as a teen (can't remember why) and I chucked my headset one time playing a competitive game on PC. My pals said they could hear me cussing from across the room still. Not sure why. I'm known as a very chill "go with the flow" kind of person, but certain games make bit a bit crazy. Big reason why I no longer play some of those games (mobas and overwatch especially).

Aggie CMD

Had a roommate. Really calm, nice guy. Never got mad. Then along game Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. Yeah, he threw his controller, or rather GBA, when my other roommate threw a bomb at him right before exiting a level that one time. I won't lie, I picked up all the rupees he dropped.

Hey I wish I didn't understand it either, unfortunately anger management is a hell of a thing so I know first hand what it's like, I can't justify it but it'd be lovely if the folks with pure zen didn't act so immediately dismissive towards others. After getting a lid on it for the last few years I'm incredibly disappointed in myself that i've had moments this year where things have boiled over.

Also addressing the final line of the OP, I can say at least that not all rage is equal, some folks get irate when driving, during team sports, even playing golf and so on but it doesn't mean they necessarily rage at everything.
...unless you're my dad.

Top Bottom