• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

I bought Halo 4 on launch day and after 2 hours i took the disc out and snapped it in half and threw in the trash.

I wasn't angry or anything but it felt good.

bj00rn_

Banned
I get frustrated and just swear my ass off. I might punch the seat or my own leg sometimes but snapping a disk? Nah man, if you are that frustrated just turn the game off

There is most likely no quantifiable relative difference of "frustration" between you punching the seat and the guy snapping a disk.

foxbeldin

When i was a kid i had a friend who threw his controler on the ground and smashed it with his foot because he was losing at PES.

A few days later, i got my ass handed to me several times in a row, so i gently put my controler on the table and said something like 'yeah, i'm done with this shit, i'm going home'.

Yet in his mind, i was the one who couldn't handle losing.

woopWOOP

Just once have I thrown something against a wall and instantly regretted it because I thought I seriously damaged it. Thought it'd help me blow off steam, but it just made me really worried instead

dezzy8

I flip my arcade stick all the time playing Street Fighter V. I even do it when I'm not angry. Never broke it.

I did break some controllers when I was younger. But they were third party shit that it didn't care about.

It's like a fire within you. When you can't control things in a certain matter and are getting bested at, let's say like getting your ass handed to you in a game during multiplayer or a boss it's like no matter what you do or try your just set up to fail. Then you try it over and over again, and same result there is nothing you can do to win and you just keep failing. It drives people like me absolutely crazy. I hate being blockaded by any obstacle in life, such as a game beating you, some parent or somebody not getting the point where you have to literally scream at them, or someone literally telling you bullshit logic and forcing it upon you all adds up to like a fire that manifests itself in anger, anxiety, screaming yelling etc. These can amplified of course if you have a very short deep seated anger and to be honest it's easier to just let it flow because it takes so much to keep a lid on it. Way more satisfying to use the anger because while you are suppressing it, no matter what it's still there all this pent up energy you want to use but it most situations you can't.

So for video games being a very personal experience and an outright expression in failure, coupled with anger issues it's no surprise people break shit like controllers or disc. Worst thing I did when I was a kid was I got so mad at Super Mario Bros I bit my Gameboy colour and broke it. It was a fucking stupid thing to do and I learned a very valuable lesson, hell I'm still surprised my mom went out and bought me a new one a couple months later, which in retrospect I don't I deserved.

Now I haven't since that day broken any of my controllers or disc, I'm mean I think I bit my 360 controller with my canines while playing COD2 which was stupid and really hurt my teeth. Worse thing I do is I squeeze controller to hard sometimes when playing some frustrating POS like Unity lol.

gelf

It was a surprise to me when I realised that a decent number of people got angry enough to break things. I used to think it was just exaggeration.

I'm nearly 40 years old now, but back when I was a kid I remember getting mad at my NES and chucking a controller. It subsequently struck the window in my room and shattered it. My mom had my ass for that one and rightfully so. Learned a real lesson that day.

To be fair to you, NES games could be sadistic in its difficulty.

Venom Fox

Banned
I wasn't raised by wealthy parents so I respected everything I had.
Glad this was said. Same here. I was raised to respect and appreciate the things that were bought for me or things I bought myself.

People who smash controllers and snap discs are just idiotic and either can't learn to control their emotions or have no concept of appreciation and self respect. IMO there's no two ways about it, you smash your stuff because your shit at Fifa or can't hit a ball in the correct position in Rocket League doesn't warrant a piss poor excuse of having "anger issues" when clearly you have no respect for yourself or your stuff. Those saying "anger issues" are talking out their arse. I've been through some shit as a child and as an adult and I'm generally an angry person when I'm down etc. I wouldn't use that as an excuse to smash my shit up. Ever.

Get a grip people. Wtf is wrong with you.

Glad this was said. Same here. I was raised to respect and appreciate the things that were bought for me or things I bought myself.

People who smash controllers and snap discs are just idiotic and either can't learn to control their emotions or have no concept of appreciation and self respect. IMO there's no two ways about it, you smash your stuff because your shit at Fifa or can't hit a ball in the correct position in Rocket League doesn't warrant a piss poor excuse of having "anger issues" when clearly you have no respect for yourself or your stuff. Those saying "anger issues" are talking out their arse. I've been through some shit as a child and as an adult and I'm generally an angry person when I'm down etc. I wouldn't use that as an excuse to smash my shit up. Ever.

Love this post about respecting yourself simultaneously having zero respect for others.

ghibli99

I get frustrated and just swear my ass off. I might punch the seat or my own leg sometimes but snapping a disk? Nah man, if you are that frustrated just turn the game off
Yep, pretty much this.

I've never destroyed/broken anything due to being frustrated with a game (or anything, really). I knew people when I was younger who used to do shit like this... snap their skateboards if they slammed, destroyed NES controllers, threw everything. Always saw it as one step away from becoming a spouse-beater.

vypek

There was a demo disc for PS2 that had one of the Dragon Quest games I think. I'd lose at some point and have to start over. And I'd try grinding and still lost to a certain boss and have to start all over. But I always came back to play it even though I was not progressing. Even took it out of the bin to play again so eventually I snapped the disc so I couldn't go back to it and keep wasting my time with a demo I wouldn't beat. Can't say I've broken anything else though.

PSqueak

Banned

Different people value different stuff too, myself? i'd never ever smash any of my videogames, cellphones, handhelds or anything, i however, have had no trouble punching a hole through my door* on a fit off irrational anger before.

I just don't care for the door. It's cheaper to replace too.

*= Do note, punching a hole through the door was not done because of videogame induced rage.

correojon

I´ve never broken a controller, when I was a kid my parents taught me to value things. I think that if I had ever broken a controller willingly they would´ve probably scolded me and grounded me without playing the console for a month or something. Of course, if I had no additional controllers I would´ve had to save the money to buy a new one on my own.

I´m thankful to them for this, to this day I´ve never ever broken a controller, keyboard, mouse, disk, console or anything related...I tend to take care of everything and this way I still have a Logitech pad which is 18+ years old and still works (except the A button being a bit loose, but that´s due to the extended use) and many old gaming related goods that are as good as they could be.

Well why would I respect someone who doesn't respect their selves? Pretty simple to understand really.

Because having respect, empathy and compassion for others is better than blind judgment?

There's no such thing as a temper problem though, it's just an excuse because people haven't been taught to appreciate things. Also my problem is right there in my post. It's the fact that I see people using anger issues as an excuse to destroy their stuff. Its not a good excuse IMO.
"I don't understand this thing and have zero desire to expand my horizon to see the world through another's eyes, so therefore it doesn't exist."

Venom Fox

Banned
Well, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge someone's entire character just because they have a temper problem? Not sure what your problem is.
There's no such thing as a temper problem though, it's just an excuse because people haven't been taught to appreciate things. Also my problem is right there in my post. It's the fact that I see people using anger issues as an excuse to destroy their stuff. Its not a good excuse IMO.

Because having respect, empathy and compassion for others is better than blind judgment?
Not really. Having empathy and compassion for people like that is accepting that what they do is right, when it's not normal behaviour.

I've broken game CD's, controllers, mice, keyboards and PC cases when I was a teenager. One of the things that got me super pissed were random disconnects on a dial-up modem during an intense Starcraft match online. Mario Kart made me destroy a few controllers.
Don't know what else to tell you than "anger issues".

Eusis

Anger can get the better of you. Never took to disc smashing though, just controller hurling in the heat of the moment that might have damaged the controller (but mostly busting open at a spot or something.)

I usually reign it in now by stepping away from a game. If I'm getting too worked up then I need to get away and cool down, as a result I don't think I've seriously damaged many controllers in the last decade. DS4 suffered more from terrible analog rubber than any frustration Bloodborne or Dark Souls III may have caused.

Inspector Q

You still shouldn't lose respect for someone before even meeting them and getting to know them. I have a temper problem, but I don't take it out on others. Everyone I know seems to like me, but they all know that I hold my anger inside and will let it build up until I just go over the edge. I never treat anyone wrongly or break their stuff, but I will do so to my own things. It's not planned, it just happens.

I don't get it either. The most I've ever done is express my frustration vocally, but even then I've always kept myself in check. Meanwhile, my brother broke his mouse recently due to his habit of slamming it on the desk whenever a CS:GO match is going bad for him. The mouse wheel loosened up and it just kind of spins now. No interest in buying him a new one if that's how he treats his stuff, haha.

I never did, until I missed some random move on that Batman Arkham City combo trophy and ended up throwing the controller against the wall.

(It was, I don't know, the 100th attempt? Anyway, it drove me mad, I canalized the fury into the dualshock and felt pretty good. Rage quited the game and never tried it again.

Not really. Having empathy and compassion for people like that is accepting that what they do is right, when it's not normal behaviour.
Being this judgmental isn't "normal behaviour", bud. Try seeing the world through a different perspective instead of forcing your own view on everything else once in awhile.

Being this judgmental isn't "normal behaviour", bud. Try seeing the world through a different perspective instead of forcing your own view on everything else once in awhile.

A lot of people in this thread need to read this post. Some of the comments in here are completely disrespectful and downright disgusting.

I broke a Sega game gear in a rageful fit when I was 9. Can't say I broke anything sense.

I do agree OP. I don't understand those people who went out and bought PS3s when they first came out then smashed them to bits. It just seems like a waste.

JB1981

Teenage angst, general unhappiness, emotional immaturity, probably depression mixed in there too

I've done it. I got into a SCREAMING match with this guy on XBL years ago in a Gears multiplayer game. I'm glad I can look back on those days and laugh and realize how immature and unhappy I was.

abrack08

I broke a PS3 controller playing a fighting game online with some friends. I wasn't like "I'M SO MAD I'M GOING TO BREAK THIS ON PURPOSE AND SPEND MONEY," but I slammed the controller down on the arm of the couch. It was a pretty crappy couch with almost no padding, controller broke completely apart.

I'm in a Madden league with some GAFfers and Madden gets me pretty mad too. I don't throw controllers or anything but I definitely yell "What the FUCK are you doing?!" to my dumb ass defenders when they leave guys wide open in the secondary, or "BULLSHIT!!!!!" whenever something that seems... like bullshit... happens.

I'm not an aggressive person at all, (competitive) video games and sports are really the only things that give me that feeling at all. If I'm being totally honest with myself it's one of the reasons I like those two things so much, they bring up feelings I don't really experience in every day life.

dr_rus

I never did, until I missed some random move on that Batman Arkham City combo trophy and ended up throwing the controller against the wall.

(It was, I don't know, the 100th attempt? Anyway, it drove me mad, I canalized the fury into the dualshock and felt pretty good. Rage quited the game and never tried it again.

Yep, pretty sure that either Origins or City was the latest game which made me throw the gamepad right into the wall above the TV several times. It's ok, though, the gamepad (Logitech) is working fine.

Kaisos

A lot of people in this thread need to read this post. Some of the comments in here are completely disrespectful and downright disgusting.
You know what else isn't normal? Getting angry enough at video games to break things.

I would literally be scared to be in the same room as somebody like that.

Venom Fox

Banned
Don't think you understand what judgmental means, bud.

I'm aware of the thought process behind being angry and wanting to hit something or someone. It's right there in my original post. I am an angry person, there has been times where I've been close to throwing my phone, the thought has flashed in my mind and in that split second I've thought, well why should I? It's my stuff, I respect my stuff so why would I want to break it? It's a normal thought process that should be taught as a child by your parents or learnt through having self respect. People who throw their controllers at walls don't have this thought process and it's not normal behaviour. Like I said, there are no such things as anger issues, being angry usually boils down to different issues but generalised as anger issues because it's easier to explain.

I also have kids that I'm currently and constantly teaching to learn to respect their own property. I think I can safely say I'm not being judgmental. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to post and that was the nicest I could've possibly been, opinion wise in my opinion.

No, not really. It's the same concept as thinking before you speak. It's not normal behaviour.
You know what else isn't normal? Getting angry enough at video games to break things.

I would literally be scared to be in the same room as somebody like that.
Exactly.

horkrux

Well why would I respect someone who doesn't respect their selves? Pretty simple to understand really.

I don't even know what you are trying to say with that. Some people get angry at video games, even if you don't. Then some proceed to throw their controller or do other stupid stuff. Surely most regret it immediately afterwards or when they've cooled down a bit. Doesn't mean they don't value their stuff, are spoiled or whatever. It's a simple matter of anger issues or a lack of management thereof.

Duxxy3

Frustration can come from anywhere. It's what you do with that frustration that makes a difference. Taking out your frustration on an inanimate object is pretty tame.

Yelling or swearing at another person while frustrated is not alright. Throwing a controller... hey, it's not going to harm anything but your own damn wallet. Just don't throw it at another person.

Venom Fox

Banned
The amount of people blaming anger issues is shocking. Anger issues aren't a thing. If someone is that angry about something that isn't real, E.G. A video game, it sounds like they're having trouble differentiating between what's reality and what's not. What they should have emotional feelings for and what they shouldn't. Please don't say I don't know what I'm talking about. One of my best friends as a kid had this exact condition.

Several years ago I got so mad at Call of Duty 2 on Veteran that I bit my Xbox 360 controller out of frustration. The teeth marks are still there to this day, reminding me of how silly it was every time I see it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Several years ago I got so mad at Call of Duty 2 on Veteran that I bit my Xbox 360 controller out of frustration. The teeth marks are still there to this day, reminding me of how silly it was every time I see it.
You bit a controller? Are your or rather were your teeth ok?

Inspector Q

So do you guys have any respect for athletes who vent by smashing some of their equipment? Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5uLHc36UU

For those who don't know, that is Novak Djokovic, arguably the greatest tennis player in the world. He is an extreme competitor and can't stand losing. Is it an intelligent reaction to break your tennis racquet in frustration? No. But he couldn't help himself because he is allergic to losing.

Obviously, he is not going to jump the net and attack his opponent, so he does the next best thing and takes his frustrations out on his racquet. As silly as it sounds, it probably helped him relieve some of his stress and play better afterwards.

Of course, I am not a millionaire or on the same level as Novak Djokovic, but I also cannot stand losing in any sort of pvp type of game. It has to take a special string of ridiculous losses to get me to this point, but it happens. I am not saying I enjoy it or whatever, but I figured I would add my voice to the discussion to explain what I can sometimes do. I didn't expect to be ridiculed by others from this community, though. That is somewhat upsetting.

horkrux

The amount of people blaming anger issues is shocking. Anger issues aren't a thing. If someone is that angry about something that isn't real, E.G. A video game, it sounds like they're having trouble differentiating between what's reality and what's not. What they should have emotional feelings for and what they shouldn't. Please don't say I don't know what I'm talking about. One of my best friends as a kid had this exact condition.

God, now you're telling us what we are allowed to get angry at. I actually pride myself in the fact that I don't shout at people, that I'm not so easily enraged by IRL occurrences. Abusing inanimate objects when no one is looking is serious business though apparantly.

Oh, I've lost like four NCAA Football discs winging them across the room. And that's just from NCAA '11.

Actually, all the discs I've tossed have been sports game discs, usually replaceable for a buck or two. And oddly, sports games are the only games that get me to act irrationally for a good four or five minutes before I calm down.

Happens much less now that I'm older, but man, it's kinda nice winging a disc across the room and into a wall. Really dissipates the rage.

(What? Stop playing sports games? Oh no, I enjoy them too much.)

I don't toss controllers because they're expensive and they might break something else other than themselves. Only sports game disks. And only when they're cheap to replace.

Top Bottom