• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

When I snap playing a game... I punch the couch I'm sitting on or slap it..... Never ever do something that cost me some wasting money like damaging the controller or the disc.

Ricker

You do realize "acting out" or "immature" rage behavior are in fact probably brought on by very real issues with anger management and coping skills correct? Your dismissive attitude about a very real issue that many people struggle with is pretty gross.

Many people with mental and behavioral issues lack the necessary income and/or opportunity to seek professional help, which is nothing to say of the environment they may be willingly subjecting themselves to wherein nobody is there to support a decision to get professional help. Having issues with anger/rage is a vicious cycle that's extremely difficult to break and self-monitor. Throwing a controller across the room or snapping a disc in-half is a tiny symptom in ocean of other potential issues.

***lies down*** ;)

Friend's daughter got mad while playing Wii Sports and I can could see her winding up to throw the remote. I had to throw my body in front of the TV to protect it. Never again.

Camisado

When I was a lot younger I remember snapping Resistance 2 in half. It was such a bad game and I remember feeling like I was being cheated.

I remember regretting it immediately, not because I'd lost a game (I was never going to play it again and the trade value was terrible) but I felt pretty ashamed of letting it get to me like that.

Looking back on it now, it was at a pretty rough time in my life and it was more likely a way to vent some of that frustration rather than the game itself.

Snapped a game once as a teen (can't remember why) and I chucked my headset one time playing a competitive game on PC. My pals said they could hear me cussing from across the room still. Not sure why. I'm known as a very chill "go with the flow" kind of person, but certain games make bit a bit crazy. Big reason why I no longer play some of those games (mobas and overwatch especially).
I think it's just an outlet. I have almost none or zero conflict/anger in my day to day life so games are just about the only time I ever yell or get mad. It's almost always because of how other people play too.

mrmickfran

Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls caused me to throw my controller to my bedframe and fuck up the right analog stick.

I've never gotten angry at a game like that before.

Was my favorite controller too.

Gxgear

Understandable that people find ways of emotional relief during moments of frustration without taking an extra second to consider the ramifications.

I just scream into a pillow and punch my desk or something.

zelhawks37

Broke my 3DS after playing fire emblem fates. RNG was at the worst time after almost completing a chapter that took an hour to go through. I had the money to replace, but there wasnt any way to get back a lot of my save data. Havent played the game since.

Intel_89

I broke a cheap gamepad thanks to DS2, I used to chew the cord of genesis controllers when I got mad at Street Fighter. Never broke a game, not even by accident.

Lord Phol

Lots of close minded people in here. I've destroyed a controller/keyboard or two but it's very rare. I usually don't get all that angry at video games anymore, unless I'm really really tired and/or playing competitive games with toxic people. I'm a very emotional person in general which unfortunetly includes an inner rage like none other. The good thing is that I pretty much have it under control and I've never even been in a fight or felt like it was too much to handle. My mom has it too, and while we almost never argued while I was growing up, the few times that we did it almost ended with us punching each other in the face.

Anyways, excessive rage is really not fun, so honestly if you don't have it you should count yourself lucky rather than looking down on those that do. There are of course people that should learn to control their anger better and just idiots in general who don't even want to learn. Just like with every other human weakness.

PSqueak

Banned
Raging person acts irrational, how is this news to you?

Have you never been angry in your life? you don't think rationally when you're angry.

Fancolors

Never happened to me, but I do have a friend who broke his hand while playing Ragnarok Online. He got pissed at our guild because we had lost a castle in WoE and he punched his monitor. It was one of these:

Monitor_LG.jpg

Zafir

Well it's a psychological problem isn't it. Not entirely their fault.

I can get a bit angry, but it dissipates fast and I'm just vocal really. I never do anything physical.

Drewboy64

The only times I've thrown a controller in frustration was when I got super close to getting the scarab gun in halo 2, but then the banshee I was trying to string along got blown up. And occasionally when I play my brother in smash brothers.

I think the only controller I ever threw was from playing Hellfire for the Megadrive. I threw the controller and it hit a vase of flowers which then landed on the Megadrive and spilled water all over it. Tough fucking game.

Nowadays when I feel enraged I like to do a quick session of mindfulness breathing exercises and that usually sorts me out.

EpicBox

Once I was so enthusiastic after beating a really hard part of a game, that I stood up and kicked the air but didn't realise the PS2 controller cable was around my leg. The connector plug snapped off and the controller flew into a wall.

The worse part is that this was my only controller and made me unable to save my progress.

Ottobit

Banned
Is this even worth a thread?... What do you not understand? People get angry, people get impulsive, and those two things result in broken controllers sometimes. Do most people? No. But it happens. This is something pretty much everyone over the age of 13 can understand. It is the same reason people call others foul names when upset. Not that difficult, buddy.

Stevey

Ive bitten a controller and a mouse on my PC, spat at my TV, all sorts of shit.
I usually try and twist my controller in half.

.JayZii

Banned
Being beaten by the game makes them feel powerless, so they exert their power/control by breaking the device. It's straight-up lizard brain shenanigans.

I don't understand it. I was too poor to go around breaking my expensive shit.

Is this even worth a thread?... What do you not understand? People get angry, people get impulsive, and those two things result in broken controllers sometimes. Do most people? No. But it happens. This is something pretty much everyone over the age of 13 can understand. It is the same reason people call others foul names when upset. Not that difficult, buddy.

This subject seems to bring out the most smug shits and concern trolls I've ever come across. It's either:

"I just feel so bad for these people."

or

"What is wrong with these neanderthals? I would never do such a thing."

Edit: Here's one now!

Being beaten by the game makes them feel powerless, so they exert their power/control by breaking the device. It's straight-up lizard brain shenanigans.

I don't understand it. I was too poor to go around breaking my expensive shit.

Nowise10

In middleschool and highschool I broke soooooo much controllers and gaming equipment. I couldnt control my temper playing Halo.

Nowadays I punch my leg really hard if I get angry over a play. Haven't broken anything in a long while now. Actually like 6 months ago I got mad at Halo 5 and wanted to releaes a light tap to me jaw, and I hit myself a lot harder then I predicted and fucked up my jaw for the night. That kind of made me realize how stupid I was behaving.

Brashnir

I've never broken anything while playing games, but I do have a habit of yelling at the TV when things go badly. I let it out, laugh, and try again.

If a game never makes me frustrated or angry, it probably isn't a very good game.

.JayZii

Banned
This subject seems to bring out the most smug shits and concern trolls I've ever come across. It's either:

"I just feel so bad for these people."

or

"What is wrong with these neanderthals? I would never do such a thing."

Edit: Here's one now!
How is what I said different from the post you quoted and agreed with?

I have broken a lot of controllers etc over the years, the most recent would be on mission 45 or 46 on metal gear solid 5. It just got to me. I ended up twisting my controller in half before I bounced it off the floor.
I have got a lot better as I have gotten older. But I do have a problem with controlling my temper and I recognise I have this problem. After that episode I just take a break from whatever is annoying me now. Must be working because I managed to get through dark souls 2 and 3 without incident, and them games are rage inducing.

Can anyone offer an explanation that isn't "I've got serious anger problems"

No? Anyone that tries is bullshitting.

There's a reason you don't see Daigo or Infiltration doing the Gronk spike with their arcade stick if they lose. Same reason you won't see a player like n0thing or shroud breaking their keyboards in half after C9 loses. It also translates to real life. When's the last time you saw Peyton Manning act like Odell Beckham Jr on the sidelines, punching kickers nets, etc.?

I did this a few times as a kid. One thing that helped (besides growing up obviously) was avoiding certain games. I had the most anger playing Madden on the All Pro level and going up big on the computer to only start fumbling every single time and having every cheap things possible happen, resulting in a loss. I can't play games like that.

zarnold56

In college a buddy of mine got really mad playing Madden and through a butter knife down on his cement apartment floors. The knife ricochet off the cement and hit the glass over door shattering it. Funniest thing I have ever seen related to being angry with video games.

Anger issues. Same reason people constantly rage while driving, watching sports, etc.

For me I have it happen when I'm frustrated at a game. Usually I'm able to alt f4 now before anything gets whacked tho.

Inspector Q

I have serious temper problems, unfortunately. I am extremely competitive, even when it comes to the smallest things. I guess that is both a positive and negative trait. Luckily, I always take it out on inanimate objects, lol.

I think part of the problem is I hold in my anger a lot and then it all comes out in a fit of rage. Like, I don't even yell at other people or anything like that. I generally treat others with respect, even when I am pissed with someone. But I have no hesitation when it comes to objects, even expensive stuff that I own.

I have shattered controllers, broken my keyboard into a million pieces, put my monitor through the wall...etc. It gets crazy, but it is pretty rare. Usually, I just curse myself off for being a scrub or whatever.

After I break something, I get pissed at myself for losing my cool like an idiot, but then I go re-buy what I just broke. It's dumb and a waste of money, but it is what it is. I have a temper and I really don't like to lose, lol.

bj00rn_

Banned

Every human being on this planet experience frustration and the need for venting. People have varying degrees of cooldown times and limits for when to stop or redirect. Some people set their limits by the sense of self-behaviour, or some simply set the limits at the price of the dead item that they might release their anger on. Whether it can defined as a "serious problem" or not would naturally vary from situation to situation, and from person to person. Who knows, for some people the action of snapping a disc f.ex. could even be considered to be a rational decision to end the build up of frustration once and for all with a simple quick solution: Not being able to play the game anymore. "Being able to" contain stress or frustration isn't necessarily always a good thing btw, sometimes it can (especially over time) even be worse than venting there and then.

I've always assumed saying stuff like that was just a figure of speech for how mad you are, if you actual get that upset at a videogame I dunno what to say

I did this maybe a handful of times as a kid (like up to age 13 maybe?). I didn't understand the mentality of it either at the time.

But if you're doing this as an adult - I think its time to take a break and evaluate your life a bit. I would imagine there are some underlying issues creating that much tension that a video game makes you snap.

Also, as an adult if I get really frustrated with a game I just stop playing it. Worst case scenario I'm out $60 - no biggie. As a kid $60 was a big fucking deal and I couldn't just put the game down.

I once threw 4 INTs in a row in Madden - can't remember which year, but I was a teenager - and slammed my fist down on our coffee table. Ended up putting a huge crack in it. I haven't done anything like that since. I'll say the occasional curse word or get frustrated, but the days of destroying something (or in my case inadvertently cracking a coffee table) are far behind me. Never snapped discs or threw controllers.

gypsygib

I've never snapped a disc, but sports games have made me throw many a controller.

Always into the soft cushion of my couch because I'm not rich and even when infuriated, I didn't want to incur a $60 expense for nothing. That would be the real piss off.

I did, however, break a $30 Ikea coffee table in my early 20s by slamming my hand down in frustration over a Fifa match.

I no longer do any of these things anymore. I think being in a long term relationship has caused my testosterone levels to drop far too low to feel the need to rage in a videogame.

I just go
Fuck
Bullshit
Cmon

But don't throw controllers or anything but did when I was in high school lol
Remember my bro and I throwing our Xbox 360 controller a lot
Poor controller :p

But that's pretty much the reason. Look, when I was younger (10? 12?) I got so angry at Ironsword on NES that I heated a screwdriver up with a lighter and then used it to poke a hole straight thru the cartridge. Luckily, NES carts are mostly empty space so it still worked but at the time I hated the game and felt incredibly cheated by some of the seemingly impossible jumps required to finish it. For contrast, I finished Ninja Gaiden and it never once made me as mad as Ironsword did.

These days, I still get mad at games from time to time but now I just cuss like a sailor and wish bad fortune on the designers.

How do the breakers cope with actually problems?

I've never once felt as cheated in real life as I have playing some games. There are no "imposso-jumps" to deal with in my life.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I just sell the game or throw it away and never touch it again. That's how I get my anger out. Or just cry but that's for non-video game related stuff.

Camwi

Never threw a controller in my life.

Then again, we grew up relatively poor, so I knew the value of those things.

I have a friend who has had a severe love-hate relationship with Counter Strike for as long as I have known him. He feels bad for wasting so much time playing, but finds himself sinking more and more time into it. When we were roommates in college (he was not enrolled in school or working at the time), he got killed and just snapped. He picked up his pc, which conveniently had a handle, and started slamming it on the ground repeatedly. In the end, the computer still worked fine and he was happily playing again a few days later.

In this case, I read his actions as being a kind of "oath by sacrifice" to either play better or stop playing entirely, actualizing real life consequences for events happening in the game in order to make those events more meaningful in his life.

Some people play Diablo on hardcore mode, where if they die, their character is deleted to raise the stakes. This is just taking that idea a little further. If you die in Diablo, you smash you PC to bits.

I get frustrated and just swear my ass off. I might punch the seat or my own leg sometimes but snapping a disk? Nah man, if you are that frustrated just turn the game off

Top Bottom