• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That topic in OT about Punk has some pretty rough folks showing up, heh

kiguel182

Again, I don't agree with them. But, to them, Bryan's a guy who is currently on a hot streak, but isn't a guy to build around long term. He's not their type, he can't talk (in their WWE approved way), he's not charismatic (again, in their WWE approved way), he's not the guy they want on Good Morning America, and so on.

To them, he's a good hand who can basically be the Chris Jericho for the 2010's. Occasional main event runs, build guys they're actually pushing hard, and so on. It's not the worst life.

As for TV ratings, his overruns are still under Cena's. He hasn't hurt ratings, but he hasn't been an obvious difference maker, according to Meltzer.

Yeah, to them. But they are clearly blind to what's happening.

Jericho didn't had these kind of reactions and his push had a ton of thing wrong with them that didn't help the buyrates. Of course they wouldn't blame Orton, their golden boy.

Cena was pushed for 10 years as "the guy", he rarely loses and has the whole company behind him. It's unfair to compare them from a business perspective. Bryan lost most of his PPV matches this year and he is still has hot as he his right now.

Yeah, he isn't their definition of a main-eventer but clearly the people don't think that way so they should put their "views" on the side and just run with him. At worst the ratings will have a slight decrease at best they have a new top guy and make tons of people happy. They can't lose.

It will be better than Baptista, that's for sure. His return has been a failure.

Jericho didn't had these kind of reactions and his push had a ton of thing wrong with them that didn't help the buyrates. Of course they wouldn't blame Orton, their golden boy.

Go rewatch the Jericho 'phantom' title win back in 2000 and say he never got those reactions. I remember just as much wailing and gnashing of teeth of Jericho being 'buried' and being 'misused' back then. Hell, I was probably part of it.

Cena was pushed for 10 years as "the guy", he rarely loses and has the whole company behind him. It's unfair to compare them from a business perspective. Bryan lost most of his PPV matches this year and he is still has hot as he his right now.

I agree mostly, but to play Devil's Advocate, if Bryan was truly this rising transcendent star, wouldn't the tour he on (the former Smackdown tour) have rising house show attendance? Because it doesn't.

At worst the ratings will have a slight decrease at best they have a new top guy and make tons of people happy. They can't lose.

They can't lose anyway. So, why not push the people they like?

It will be better than Baptista, that's for sure. His return has been a failure.

Again, his actual return may turn out to be a failure, but he did pop a big rating during his return. Bigger than even the rating after Summerslam.

kiguel182

Moe you need to stop with this talk! It's not been a failure, things have been out of their control!

Well, Vince wants us to believe that this is all part of his master plan...

The other piece of news is Punk leaving, not better!

Go rewatch the Jericho 'phantom' title win back in 2000 and say he never got those reactions. I remember just as much wailing and gnashing of teeth of Jericho being 'buried' and being 'misused' back then. Hell, I was probably part of it.

Did fans highjack most of the main-event segments he was not involved in? Did they boo more than 20 minutes of a PPV because he wasn't there?
But, even if Jericho was on the level of overness Bryan is, he was given a Wrestlemania main-event. Even if they kind of botch is push he did go over Rock and Austin. Not saying he was perfectly handled but his handling seems better than Bryan's.

Hasney

Yeah, I remember that too, but I think Jericho was being used perfectly and defended it at the time. Don't forget that we still had Rock, Austin & a full-time Undertaker around that time, even if they had injuries/movies at that time as well as Kurt Angle coming in and catching fire immediately. You've got at least 5 main event talents that are all hugely over in one period and I don't think it can happen again. It certainly can't if they won't make new stars.

Bryan & Punk have none of those to get in line behind. They have Cena who is #1 and Orton who will be up there no matter how people respond to him. Cena's big enough to be a spectacle and kept away from the title picture since he doesn't need it and the only time he should have it is ready to make someone with a clean win over him for me.

Hell, during that Russo booked period, you could even get Taka over with a live crowd.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
wFICXbkl.jpg

Indeed it is.

mrboo001

Banned
Well holy shit. WWE is going crazy right now isn't it? I wonder how this will all turn out but I thinking things will get shittier than even now.

We'll always have NJPW, right guys?

Xater

Well holy shit. WWE is going crazy right now isn't it? I wonder how this will all turn out but I thinking things will get shittier than even now.

We'll always have NJPW, right guys?

Well I definitely expect to get some enjoyment out of watching them scrambling to fix things for Wrestlemania.

RyudBoy

Whoa. That's some crazy ass shit.

I stopped watching wrasslin when Punk took a 2 month vacation last year. Dunno if I'll do the same this time around though now that we're seeing the rise of Roman Reigns, but it's gonna suck without Punk. I do hope this is all a work...

Hasney

Just pictured someone in WWE googling to find the reaction to Bryans current status and Punk leaving, finds this thread and thinks they should recommend "some guy called Archibald Peck because a whole wrestling thread is showing support for him, so he must be over, indie wise".

I really need to sleep.

Just pictured someone in WWE googling to find the reaction to Bryans current status and Punk leaving, finds this thread and thinks they should recommend "some guy called Archibald Peck because a whole wrestling thread is showing support for him, so he must be over, indie wise".

I really need to sleep.

Oh SON of a bitch

BHZ Mayor

I haven't looked at the thread, so I'm having trouble figuring out what it is about wrestling, of all things, that could make a thread in OT go stupid. But it is OT after all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It is funnier the other way

Also, I really want to hear Alexander Rusev's full theme. Just the sample we got at the Rumble sounded fantastic.

It's some Godzilla type shit, but I could do without the speaking at the start. Smacks too much of Kozlov.

Hasney

I FIRMLY believe they would let him be C.M. Punk.

But Punk HATES TNA. Absolutely hates it. Just like he hates CZW.

I don't blame him for hating TNA. He was brought in when they had a void of talent, got put in Raven's flock. When they broke up, they did nothing with him. It was crazy.

Hasney

Matt Hardy really has no luck with women, or luck doesn't come into it and he's just a cunt. Seems most likely.

Shame Hardy didn't hold out against Peck in the avatar Rumble. We could have each sported a different mugshot with the rate he gets arrested.

EDIT: Dammit Jred

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Boots has been pretty quiet with his Rumble, Raw, and Punk thoughts. What gives, Boots? Don't wanna be seen yakkin with the rest of us about these things? :p

Top Bottom