• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

If you would have told me 15 years ago that Matt Hardy would end up fucked up like his brother I would have said go away and let me play my Sega Genesis.

Verendus

Banned
A bit random CM Punk has walked out. I imagine because he's been hurting for so long?

Easy fix for Wrestlemania would be to throw Cena against Triple H, turn Batista heel to face Bryan, and have Lesnar/Taker. It won't make a difference then if he's not there since Cena/Haitch is the bigger match anyway.

Boots has been pretty quiet with his Rumble, Raw, and Punk thoughts. What gives, Boots? Don't wanna be seen yakkin with the rest of us about these things? :p

I dunno, I just haven't been that enthusiastic about WWE recently. I did post some brief Rumble thoughs - I seemed to enjoy it more than most, also, I honestly think the crowd were dumb to expect Bryan. They shouldn't have turned on the match to such a degree (although, they probably would've turned on the finish either way). In hindsight, perhaps WWE should have done a stretcher job for Bryan after his match with Bray? To emphasise the fact that he wouldn't be appearing in the Rumble match itself.

RAW was bad, I fast forwarded most of it.

Punk? Good luck to him. I'm glad he's got the ability to basically do what he wants at this stage in his career and if what he wants is time off, more power to him.

Malvingt2

Matt Hardy is one of the few wrestlers to speak out on the CM Punk leaving WWE story so far. He tweeted:
"So Punk allegedly walked out & quit WWE. Interesting. It's impossible 2 understand the toll that job can have on you-unless you've lived it."

"A "screw you" from Punk? NO. Punk's gotta prioritize his own sanity & health. Sometimes WWE isn't conducive to those two things."

"From my experience- When you're in constant physical pain, frustrated the majority of the time, & resent what u love, things have to change."

jred2k

fHF2sbD.jpg

I wish we had free tacos. We get free fries and a drink from Burger King on a receipt, but it's just not the same.
Over here you get a free Whopper or chicken sandwich with purchase of fries and a drink. The worst are the ones that enter you in a raffle for an iPad or cash.

Rapstah

Is Cena drawing at house shows the sign of a real champion or an anomaly at this point? If no one ever draws at a house show again, does that disqualify all future champions from being considered great regardless of audience reaction?

Kaladin

When did Matt Hardy start wrestling for CZW?

Also I'm starting to think that "Did somebody not get what they wanted?" jab was directed at CM Punk as much as the crowd.

Is Cena drawing at house shows the sign of a real champion or an anomaly at this point? If no one ever draws at a house show again, does that disqualify all future champions from being considered great regardless of audience reaction?

It's the sign of a guy with 10 years I support from the machine!.

WWE should go back to the smack down 6 concept for their young talent

Reigns
Ambrose
Rollins
big E
Cesaro
NXT call up

Hasney

Abeyance becomes the longest reigning champion after no-one draws at a house show. CM Punk never comes back after he passes his title reign.

jmdajr

I've seen some incredible D. Bry fan artwork out there. How hard is it for him to get some better merch.

I'm not sure what his sales are, but no doubt they don't reflect his rise life popularity,

danielbryan.jpg

holy shit @ Matt Hardy

Adam Cole, you best get away from him!

Adam's got nothing to worry about since he sucks dick and all

Filming that match in Germany where Chuck Taylor would grab all the signs saying he sucks dick and showing them to him was a damn highlight of that trip

Verendus

Banned
Probably not since this is all scripted anyway, but it certainly factors into how WWE will treat you in terms of how big you are. Cena doing good business on house shows means WWE will push him and treat him as a big star even if people don't like it. I don't like him, find him terribly boring but I understand he's obviously good for business which is why WWE pushes him so heavily. In a similar vein though, you have people complaining about Batista here in Wrassle-GAF, but WWE obviously is pushing him for the same reason. He was a big star for them and they clearly think he's worthy of it. I imagine a lot more goes into WWE business than just audience reactions (although those are a great sign of someone to capitalise on) such as attendance figures for house shows, licensing deals, advertising, sponsorships etc. Who knows the intricacies of their finances, but I imagine it extends deeper than just audience reactions.

Ithil

The idea of "the champion and top star drawing" is very outdated. Cena is probably the last of that kind, and even then, he's mediocre as hell as a draw compared to previous ones.
The WWE brand itself is the draw now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't see how anybody can defend CM Punk for acting like a punk. Dude did the most unprofessional shit ever, anybody who hires him at this point is nuts. It's a shame how this it how ends, maybe he can mend fences with the WWE 15 years from now.

Hasney

Over here you get a free Whopper or chicken sandwich with purchase of fries and a drink. The worst are the ones that enter you in a raffle for an iPad or cash.

Damn. I should be happy that fast food is more expensive here though, it does put me off buying it half the time.

Ithil

I don't see how anybody can defend CM Punk for acting like a punk. Dude did the most unprofessional shit ever, anybody who hires him at this point is nuts. It's a shame how this it how ends, maybe he can mend fences with the WWE 15 years from now.

No, unprofessional would be what Austin did, which is just leave the day before RAW and no-show the TV show. Punk went to Vince before RAW and told him he's going home, which is the part that will count for a lot.

Hasney

Warrior held Vince up for more cash, left, returned less than a year later and then came back again in 1996 only to no show. If Vince sees money in you, it's almost impossible to burn your bridge with him.

He'll be back when and if he wants to come back.

Malvingt2

Casey Kulas
‏@CaseyKulas
My info on CM Punk: I do know from sources that at #Raw in CLE there was heated exchange backstage between Punk & staff. Topic - concussion.

@CaseyKulas
Punk was heard arguing with staff saying "I passed all your damn concussion test" and "I'm not going out and telling fans that BS"

Man

jmdajr

I will miss him not inducting Warrior. Those two no doubt have many similarities. I've known PUNK was a UW fan and it's hard not to see why. Hell, he also idolizes someone else that walked out too.

Casey Kulas
‏@CaseyKulas
My info on CM Punk: I do know from sources that at #Raw in CLE there was heated exchange backstage between Punk & staff. Topic - concussion.

@CaseyKulas
Punk was heard arguing with staff saying "I passed all your damn concussion test" and "I'm not going out and telling fans that BS"

Man
I am not getting any of that from my sources. A concussion ruined Ziggler's push.

Verendus

Banned
The idea of "the champion and top star drawing" is very outdated. Cena is probably the last of that kind, and even then, he's mediocre as hell as a draw compared to previous ones.
The WWE brand itself is the draw now.
I would disagree. They will always need big star attractions and wrestlers who are popular. These past three Wrestlemania's were likely saved thanks to The Rock. I'm watching for the first time in 4 years (barring the Wrestlemania 27/28 PPVs for The Rock) because I heard Batista is coming back. There's plenty of others like me. I come back and the only two talent I see who are 'main event' in my eyes are Bryan and CM Punk. The rest of the roster is pretty shit for the most part. No interesting storylines or characters or fueds. The product isn't interesting enough for me to stick around though and I'll probably stop after Wrestlemania 30 (unless the Sting rumours are true). You're kidding yourself if you think top stars aren't important though. Just like the overall product should be more entertaining, you need big stars to be the centrepiece. WWE is lacking in most places right now.

Hasney

Casey Kulas
‏@CaseyKulas

@CaseyKulas

Man

If that's true, he'll be back by WM I reckon.

Ithil

I would disagree. They will always need big star attractions and wrestlers who are popular. These past three Wrestlemania's were likely saved thanks to The Rock. I'm watching for the first time in 4 years (barring the Wrestlemania 27/28 PPVs for The Rock) because I heard Batista is coming back. There's plenty of others like me. I come back and the only two talent I see who are 'main event' in my eyes are Bryan and CM Punk. The rest of the roster is pretty shit for the most part. No interesting storylines or characters or fueds. The product isn't interesting enough for me to stick around though and I'll probably stop after Wrestlemania 30 (unless the Sting rumours are true). You're kidding yourself if you think top stars aren't important though. Just like the overall product should be more entertaining, you need big stars to be the centrepiece. WWE is lacking in most places right now.

Yes, but those are part time stars, people that pop buyrates or ratings for WM season. I'm talking about a regular face of the company that's a draw just by their name, year round. Like Hogan, Austin etc once were.

Those kinds of draws aren't a thing anymore. The WWE brand itself is the draw. There's a reason WM sells out immediately months before any matches or returns are announced.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I just haven't been that enthusiastic about WWE recently. I did post some brief Rumble thoughs - I seemed to enjoy it more than most, also, I honestly think the crowd were dumb to expect Bryan. They shouldn't have turned on the match to such a degree (although, they probably would've turned on the finish either way). In hindsight, perhaps WWE should have done a stretcher job for Bryan after his match with Bray? To emphasise the fact that he wouldn't be appearing in the Rumble match itself.

RAW was bad, I fast forwarded most of it.

Punk? Good luck to him. I'm glad he's got the ability to basically do what he wants at this stage in his career and if what he wants is time off, more power to him.

I enjoyed the Rumble itself - not cos of Bats but because it was actually pretty fun. I enjoyed the Raw after though.,..even though all I did was play GT6 while it was on. :x

How you feelin about more CHAOS BOOTS?! CHAOS

Rapstah

I don't disagree that Cena makes them the most money. I just doubt that anyone they ever create again can have the house show drawing power of Cena. He just seems to be several levels above everyone else they have right now in that respect. Probably has to do with the demographic that likes him. Maybe Batista will draw really well at house shows, but I don't even know what that means for a returning guy like that.

There's no way, however, that Batista coming back full time is even close to as lucrative for them for Wrestlemania and TV ratings forever as The Rock was. We'll see about this, I guess.

Listening to the wrestling observer clip about all this mess.

Boy the WM card seems like a bit of a mess.

They cant close with that title match because its going to suck and be booed out of the arena.
They cant close with Triple H versus Bryan because it doesnt really make sense.
They cant close with Taker / Brock because it doesnt make sense.

Curious how they handle that clusterfuck. They should put Bryan in the title match but with Punk gone we know Triple H needs it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We can beg Yottsume to translate the whole thing. beg and beg and beg. I love that man, he's doing god's work. There's not much more fun than being able to see the stuff outside of the ring, translated. I don't need in-ring commentary in english, I need these fascinating and fun videos subbed. I watched his vid of Makabe and Tanahashi talking about coming up in NJPW, it was a lot of fucking fun.

Here's a subbed trailer for the CHAOS Field Trip Vol 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4gUcKmJho&feature=youtu.be

Watch and fucking love it!

Yeah, the new CHAOS DVD looks like it'll be a ton of fun - New Japan need to hire Yottsume to subtitle their DVDs, lol.

Some things I'd love to see New Japan try this year;

. subtitle DVDs and online videos
. open web store to international orders
. purchase downloads or rent classic New Japan shows on-demand

DMczaf said:
How is this troll over?!

Innate physical charisma and the best professional wrestler in North America...how indeed?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd throw a lot of money at NJPW if they'd let me order merch, easily.

Top Bottom