• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Big Month Meltz

Silexx

I am convinced that Orton winning the Rumble was WWE paying back his favour when he worked his program with Lesnar.

Anth0ny

I think you underestimate just how out of touch WWE creative is. They probably booked that with the expectation that Roman coming in after his unjust defeat earlier in the night would be a huge shock and mark out moment, with him cleaning house like the all-conquering hero, even managing to go toe-to-toe with legends like Taker and come out on top, and that dastardly heel Randy Orton beating Reigns was suppose to be the bad ending that would have us all booing and hissing such an evil character triumphing over such a beefy badass.

thank you. it's not some genius move to get orton over. that's how they're going to treat it tonight, complete with fake fan reactions of people marking out in the crowd when his music hits.

Can't believe they let Frasier Crane wrestle
Wt8MkLP.png

BApI57r.png

CSR4NmfWwAAaa7Z.jpg

I'd pop for "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs."

Sephzilla

This Rumble didn't leave me upset like previous Rumbles recently did, but it just left me kind of disappointed. The Rumble has become a giant indicator to how tone deaf Vince is to what his audiences want, or perhaps a giant indicator that he doesn't give a shit. Orton's has a pretty decent run in recent years, but was anyone actually asking for another main event Wrestlemania run from Orton?

This was probably the biggest Royal Rumble crowd ever and yet this Rumble had probably the fewest surprise entrants possible, so the crowd barely got to pop. Tye coming in at #10 was perfect, but what else was there? Samoa Joe? Finn Balor's return? Angle? They were in Texas, couldn't they have talked HBK or Austin into doing a quick spot? This felt like the perfect year to pull the trigger on someone like Sami Zayn, or Bray Wyatt, or The Miz since he's had a fantastic year and all of them could lead to interesting Mania main events, but nope. They hype up Goldberg, Brock, and Undertaker for the Rumble and collectively all three of them are in the match for what, 5 minutes? Also, I'm a huge mark for Undertaker but good lord he looks out of shape and old now. Taker, please hang it up after WrestleMania. Oh, and I don't know what the fuck Vince is doing with Roman right now, assuming he wants to keep Roman as the super babyface, because putting him in a program with Taker is going to give Roman unshakable heat.

I'm honestly shocked that Owens kept his title since Royal Rumble seemed to weed out all of the more recent fan favorites from the WrestleMania picture.

Browny

Banned
The only thing that could save Taker's legacy now is a return to the Big Evil gimmick.

"You've done it now, you've gone and made a big mistake..."

Big Dog in the Big Yard.

Yeah, they really cut the legs out from Styles. Barely on poster, buried by Cena in promos (AJ was great but Cena's lines were brutal), and coming out first as champion? Damn, man. Now he will get Shane McMahon. What the hell?

Orton should have just stayed in innocent midcard feuds or continue along with his Wyatt tag stuff, most people don't hate him but no one was asking for another f**king WM main event run, ugh. Please, stop going backwards WWE. :|

He doesn't come across as someone desperate for the spotlight anymore, what drive could he possibly have left to make this a fantastic magical program of interest? They probably just went up to him and said "Randy you're winning the Rumble and main eventing Wrestlemania." And he's like "Me? Oh ok." *shrugs and walks away*

A lot has been said over the past few hours but my late take on things was that the rumble match was actually one of the best in years, until it just devolved into messiness around the 20 mark when it was clear that they didn't want to eliminate people until one of the big three entered, and of course they all entered post 25 so....lotsa waiting.

They were doing a good job weaving the smaller feuds into the match as well, heck even the use of Lesnar was on point.
Suddenly Roman Reigns reveal and the "well at least it ain't Reigns" Orton win just went and put a downer on what was otherwise a decent rumble.
People saying it's THE WORST in recent years must be real forgetful of everything from 2012 onwards.

Rest of the PPV was solid, a bit disappointing that the otherwise stellar Cena/Styles took the finisher fest kick out bonanza route once more after avoiding it for like 15 minutes but still good, ain't even mad at a Cena title win.

Hang on, where was Kane? his name was on the Apron! minus 6 stars.

Shoemaker had a good theory for mania: Cena loses the belt at Elimination Chamber to Bray, setting up Bray Orton for Mania

I am 100% not looking forward to Reigns/Taker or Goldberg/Brock v2. Taker looked like absolutely dog shit out there.

Mahonay

Banned
When I realized Reigns was going to be #30 I just kind of went "are you fucking kidding me?"

Absolutely hilarious that they tried to get people way into Orton by having him eliminate the heat magnet Roman to win it. Like, if you have to resort to those kind of tactics maybe it's a sign Randy Orton shouldn't be winning a Rumble in 2017? Yes we liked Randy much more latley as a Wyatt, but we didn't say we fucking loved him. Maybe this is a sign that any time fans get even mildly behind one of Vince's favorites, he's just going to thrust them to the top in an instant.

Oh and Michael Cole totally went "HERE COMES THE BIG DAWG, BUT TAKER IS GOING TO SHOW HIM THIS IS HIS YARD!". The level of corny and stupidness feels like 2012 again.

Sephzilla

Cena beating AJ for the title only to lose it to Bray 2 weeks later is such a weird thing

I still don't believe that's going to happen. #VinceLogic doesn't mesh with the idea of Cena dropping the title right before WrestleMania in favor of Bray Wyatt, the eater of pushes.

I would try and give Taker some slack on his appearance but Goldberg is old as hell too and he looks great. Taker needs to stop rack-pulling 500 pounds and cut some pounds.

Hasney

I still don't believe that's going to happen. #VinceLogic doesn't mesh with the idea of Cena dropping the title right before WrestleMania in favor of Bray Wyatt, the eater of pushes.

ORTON VS CENA

NEVER BEFORE

NEVER AGAIN (until we have no fucking idea what to do with them again)

I would try and give Taker some slack on his appearance but Goldberg is old as hell too and he looks great. Taker needs to stop rack-pulling 500 pounds and cut some pounds.

Eh, Undertaker has a lot more miles on the clock though.

I don't really give a shit about either in 2017 though so eh.

Sephzilla

Taker looked bad. His hair looked bad. His makeup looked bad. His mobility looked bad. His big gut looked bad. And yeah, like you mentioned, compared to Goldberg it looks even worse.

Sephzilla

If Cena does drop the belt to Bray for some strange reason, then Cena is almost certainly winning the Andre Battle Royal this year.

I don't even understand where they go with Bork and Goldberg.

He's squashed him twice now what happens at WM? It's not gonna be another squash so how do they explain Bork's sudden ability to not get squashed?

"He's been training so hard and is taking it seriously now!"

So after the SS surprise squash he still took him lightly at the RR?

D0gvU3Y.jpg

Hasney

I only listened to a Discord chat while at work and didn't bother watching. Tye and Jack sounded fun but nothing to make me actually watch the Rumble. Sounds like torture.

Raw64life

Undertaker has 25 years of wear and tear on him. Also recently had surgery.

Goldberg was a full time wrestler for barely 5 years total. Not really a fair comparison.

Taker did look like shit though.

Mahonay

Banned

He's squashed him twice now what happens at WM? It's not gonna be another squash so how do they explain Bork's sudden ability to not get squashed?

D0gvU3Y.jpg
They spent 2-3 years building Brock into a world beating mega monster. Then Dadberg makes him look like a literal jobber two times in a row. It seems really fucking stupid.

Sephzilla

D0gvU3Y.jpg

Yeah I have no idea what they do with Brock/Goldberg now. This isn't a story about a courageous underdog overcoming a big unbeatable beast, because Brock is the goddamn heel of the feud.

Hasney

Yeah I have no idea what they do with Brock/Goldberg now. This isn't a story about a courageous underdog overcoming a big unbeatable beast, because Brock is the goddamn heel of the feud.

Maybe they just switch out Brock for Jinder Mahal and see if anyone gives a shit or not.

ReiGun

Taker looked bad. His hair looked bad. His makeup looked bad. His mobility looked bad. His big gut looked bad. And yeah, like you mentioned, compared to Goldberg it looks even worse.

Hell, Kane is only two years younger than Taker, works more dates than either of them, and looks better.

It's time for Mean Mark to hang it up.

GunBR

Cena beating AJ for the title only to lose it to Bray 2 weeks later is such a weird thing
Cena always needs to finish all of his feuds with a win. Wyatts, Owens, Rusev

He just never get his win back against Del Rio because he leave the company before that

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
If the rumors are true, we are looking at a really bad card for Mania. I don't buy them putting the belt on Bray, so I am guessing Cena v Orton is the main event, with maybe some Bray interference. Not really interested in Brock v Goldberg. Reigns vs Taker will be a fucking dumpster fire. AJ vs Shane, I don't think anyone wants to see that. Owens vs Jericho will have a fun build, but the match will probably be shit. Joe will probably show up and win the battle royal. All of the big money matches are just bad.

Caderfix

They spent 2-3 years building Brock into a world beating mega monster. Then Dadberg makes him look like a literal jobber two times in a row. It seems really fucking stupid.

I've been saying this since the start, it was one of the dumbest moves I can think. The end of the streak means nothing now, as it wasn't passed to any new star. They just gave it to a part timer then passed the diminished version of it to a part timer who's 50 and now it's just lost for no good reason and everyone Brock squashed just look like shit, as no one other than Goldberg can touche him, while any other star was completely dominated.

Basically, Brock is only average, the rest is garbage and 50 years old Goldberg is good.

WWE's favorite narrative is Past >>>> ... >>>> Present, forever

Ithil

Cena winning his 16th world title and losing it two weeks later is kind of a summary of how meaningless those 16 wins were on average. Most of them are really short hot potato reigns just padding out the number.

Did you know Orton is a 12 time world champ? Do you remember any of the 12 times?

Hasney

Hell, Kane is only two years younger than Taker, works more dates than either of them, and looks better.

It's time for Mean Mark to hang it up.

YRGProgramGuide3-1135647330950da23ddca94f.jpg

Cena winning his 16th world title and losing it two weeks later is kind of a summary of how meaningless those 16 wins were on average. Most of them are really short hot potato reigns just padding out the number.

Did you know Orton is a 12 time world champ? Do you remember any of the 12 times?

That time he beat Benoit
That time he constantly went over Bryan until WM 30
That time he sexually assaulted Steph?
That time with the Legacy

Errrr

Menome

Undertaker would have looked passable last night if he hadn't taken his top down. I don't know what he was thinking.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I've been saying this since the start, it was one of the dumbest moves I can think. The end of the streak means nothing now, as it wasn't passed to any new star. They just gave it to a part timer then passed the diminished version of it to a part timer who's 50 and now it's just lost for no good reason and everyone Brock squashed just look like shit, as no one other than Goldberg can touche him, while any other star was completely dominated.

Basically, Brock is only average, the rest is garbage and 50 years old Goldberg is good.

As much as I hated it at the time, Reigns should have beat Brock. It would be better than how it ended up. Someone should have gotten over from beating SNK boss Lesnar.

Sephzilla

Cena's 16 deserves a giant fucking asterisk next to it since most of his world title reigns came when the company had two world title belts.

klonere

Banned

Pop the AE fans at ALL COSTS brother.

At ALL COSTS.

Anth0ny

And after Mania, when Brock beats Goldberg in a boring ass 20 minute match, it'll be Brock and Goldberg are average and the rest is garbage.

Caderfix

As much as I hated it at the time, Reigns should have beat Brock. It would be better than how it ended up. Someone should have gotten over from beating SNK boss Lesnar.

I'm of the opinion that either Bray should've broken the streak and become the new face of fear or that Strowman should eventually beat Brock to become the new monster. Then he can be beaten by Roman or whatever. But, honestly, any current star who's bellow 35 would result in better long term benefits than Goldberg but NOOOO we need those hashtags.

Sephzilla

Daniel Bryan should have been the one to take down Brock. Seriously, that story fucking wrote itself. Daniel Bryan returning to reclaim the title he never lost versus God King Lesnar. That was the Andre vs Hogan of this era and the crowd would have been so incredibly hot for that match.

That time he beat Benoit
That time he constantly went over Bryan until WM 30
That time he sexually assaulted Steph?
That time with the Legacy

Errrr

The time he lost it and won it back on the same PPV?
Or was that Triple H? I can't remember the specifics

GunBR

Brock gonna get his win at Mania, gonna show up 2-3 times during the rest of the year for a 10 min squash match and his defeat against Goldberg will became almost non-canon

Probably in the future they still gonna make someone of the main roster beat Brock and look like it's a incredible thing

Caderfix

Daniel Bryan should have been the one to take down Brock. Seriously, that story fucking wrote itself. Daniel Bryan returning to reclaim the title he never lost versus God King Lesnar. That was the Andre vs Hogan of this era and the crowd would have been so incredibly hot for that match.

I bet you are going to evoke some specific posters with this post.

Mahonay

Banned
But they needed him to repeatedly headbutt Ziggler on a ladder for the IC belt.

Top Bottom