• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeepers Creepers 3 is out in theaters Sep 26th

Nicolada

Hating because of the director?
Smh, like half of Hollywood and the music industry has done illegal shit, are you going to hate that aswell?
Yeahh, gonna have to wait to watch this movie instead of trusting the reviews in this thread. Hard to take them as genuine considering how the thread went.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So two people hated it and one of them couldn't even figure out that the first two
take place days apart
even though it's literally spelled out.

Yeah, this looks really fuckin' bad haha (from the trailer)

giphy.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
Smh, like half of Hollywood and the music industry has done illegal shit, are you going to hate that aswell?

I can't even.

Putting aside what he did for a second, the last two Jeepers films are fucking woeful attempts at horror. But not just that, the idea of an old monster tormenting youngsters becomes creepy as fuck when it's directed by an older man who tormented youngsters in real life.

So yeah, knock that "lol others in Hollywood lol" bullshit the fuck off.

Polanski and Allen get just as much shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You really expect to be amazed by a sequel to Jeepers Creepers that took 14 years to make?

This is a strange thing to post the very day that a thread was started declaring Blade Runner 2049 a religious experience.

DeathyBoy

Banned
No, but I'm guessing there's a middle area to enjoy (like with the second movie) when you're not being a spiteful viewer.

Or you just think it's rubbish.

It's not impossible to enjoy work made by a creep. But the work kinda has to be good for that to happen.

Course it's fucking bizarre that y'all are choosing Jeeper Creepers 3 as a film to stand on a hill over.

In typical GAF fashion, everyone just says, "fuck this director," or, "I won't see this after reading his past". But of course nobody links any information and just expects everyone to either know or dig it up. Just like posting a reply on the gaming side with a picture and no description.

From Wikipedia:

Just read this VICE article after hearing about him:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8gv855/victor-salva-loves-terrorised-semi-naked-youths-jeepers-creepers-powder-clownhouse

How is he still making movies?

I'll give you the Creepers origin.

He is an Unsolved Mysteries segment combined with the appearance and powers of a Marvel comics character named Terror.

Yeahh, gonna have to wait to watch this movie instead of trusting the reviews in this thread. Hard to take them as genuine considering how the thread went.

As a big fan of the first two who has been waiting forever for this movie to be made, it pains me to say it but it's not a good movie. It feels like Victor Salva forgot how to write a script and direct a movie. As I said on the last page, it's not all bad - the Creeper is as good as ever - but overall it's just not good. It's been 14 years yet it feels like it was written, directed, edited and shipped to theaters in two months.

Still worth a watch, but only for fans of the first two.

I can't even.

Putting aside what he did for a second, the last two Jeepers films are fucking woeful attempts at horror. But not just that, the idea of an old monster tormenting youngsters becomes creepy as fuck when it's directed by an older man who tormented youngsters in real life.

The bolded is why I think the first film is pretty interesting. It is the self-portrait of a monster, who not only goes after youngsters, but is also an artist. Note that the creeper's workbench has a carving of himself on it.

I didn't care for the sequel and won't likely be seeing this one, but I'll quietly defend the artistic merit of the first.

This is a strange thing to post the very day that a thread was started declaring Blade Runner 2049 a religious experience.

It's a low budget sequel to Jeepers Creepers, fam. It reeks of no artistic ambitions. Plus this story was kinda done after 2.

Lupercal

Banned
I can't even.

That's like not grooving on Michael Jackson whenever it comes on the radio.

There's waaay more sexual predators, pedophiles, ... than those 3 in Hollywood.
According to your logic: I can't watch any Bryan Singer movie, not enjoy a DiCaprio or Tobey Maguire film, can't even turn on Nickelodeon, etc ...

That first movie was interesting, despite the creepy connections with the director and the the Creeper. I forgot the monster liked to listen to old music on vinyl and make skin art. And then the sequel ditched all of that in favor of a by the book slasher movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's like not grooving on Michael Jackson whenever it comes on the radio.

There's waaay more sexual predators, pedophiles, ... than those 3 in Hollywood.
According to your logic: I can't watch any Bryan Singer movie, not enjoy a DiCaprio or Tobey Maguire film, can't even turn on Nickelodeon, etc ...

Not what I said at all, but acting like Salva is persecuted is some bullshit. He's a piss poor director and the backlash would be due to that if he wasn't also a creep.

But he is a creep.

He's a creep who makes awful films. So him being defended is just the most hilariously absurd thing I've seen on Gaf recently.

Let's see if I can expand on what I didn't like about the movie.

- The acting was extremely bad, particularly with the adult characters. They were constantly arguing with and yelling at each other, and it was extremely cringey to watch.

-A lot of the weapons looked fake. The creeper has a spear with what looks like a foam tip.

-Questionable cinematography and CGI. This was mostly noticeable when the creeper was flying. The way he grabbed people and flew. A lot of people in my theater were laughing at this. In one scene, you see a character, he grabs the character, they both just pop off the screen. That's right. It doesn't look natural. They just like pop off the screen in a split second. It looked really goofy. He does the same thing to get one of his weapons. Pops in, pops out.

-a big deal was made about the creeper's origins, but we learn nothing about him. Only one character knows and the means of how they learned it is destroyed by the end of the film.

-The creeper's truck is supposedly alive and an indestructible killing machine. Nothing can hurt it, it's riddled with ridiculous traps, and has a mind of its own. The creeper also seems to know where it's at all times.

-Apparently the Creeper has a boomerang attachment to his weapons. Even after throwing an ax into someone's face, it just flies back into his hand, like Thor's hammer.

- The characters were beyond horror movie dumb. It's so obvious what will happen, someone screams over them at the radio for them not to do it for like two minutes, and they DO IT ANYWAY. Oh, I just saw something really fucking weird. I'm gonna get out of my truck! Holy shit! I should just stand here and call someone!

-As I mentioned before, there is a character advocating sexual abuse and his justification is that "the heart wants what the heart wants". Hmm, is this you, Victor?

-This one bugged me the most, more than all the others. They used a better movie's twist. I'll spoiler the movie just in case.
Final Destination 5. Turns out one of the main kids is getting on that doomed bus from JC2 at the end of the movie, even though we never heard of his existence before.

Lupercal

Banned
Not what I said at all, but acting like Salva is persecuted is some bullshit. He's a piss poor director and the backlash would be due to that if he wasn't also a creep.

But he is a creep.

He's a creep who makes awful films. So him being defended is just the most hilariously absurd thing I've seen on Gaf recently.

Who says I'm defending him? I'm saying writing off something because the creator is a pervert is stupid.

Who says I'm defending him? I'm saying writing off something because the creator is a pervert is stupid.

It's not stupid; it just depends on your moral standpoint. I don't wish to see this if a paedophile will benefit in any way from it (even VOD viewing figures). I don't watch Woody Allen or Roman Polanski films for similar reasons.

Lupercal

Banned
Did you look up what he was convicted for?

Sure I did, he's not the first and won't be the last one to do it in Hollywood.
Maybe it's different now for you because you had no interest in it from the start but what if Josh Whedon or the Russo Brothers did it.

ZeoVGM

Banned

a) Citation needed.

b) Not all "illegal shit" is equal to literal child molestation.

No, but I'm guessing there's a middle area to enjoy (like with the second movie) when you're not being a spiteful viewer.

He molested a 12-year-old.

But sure, people are just being unfairly spiteful.

Are you implying that half of Hollywood and the music industry have committed crimes on par with forcing a boy to have oral sex?

Maybe it's different now for you because you had no interest in it from the start but what if Josh Whedon or the Russo Brothers did it.

So now you're saying we should assume that every director could potentially be a child rapist? The fact is that none of the people you listed have ever been accused, let alone convicted of such crimes. I actually enjoy the franchise on a certain level, but I have no idea what you're getting at.

Interfectum

I would write off any piece of entertainment that was helmed by a convicted child molester of a 12 year old.

"bu bu others do it too" isn't really a good argument.

ZeoVGM

Banned

The vast majority of people in Hollywood are not molesting children.

No, the reaction would be exactly the same.

The hell are you doing?

Lupercal

Banned
So where will the line end & begin ?
Will you still listen to Chris Brown because he only beat Rihanna?

What about Alice In Wonderland, will you hate on that too now ?

Camwi

Saw it a few hours ago. Was really bad.

And a character makes a joke about another character being sexually assaulted, and says he could see why she would get sexually assaulted. When speaking of the assailant, he says "the heart wants what the heart wants." I found this really gross considering the director's history.

What.the.fuck.

Do you have a list of all the child rapists in Hollywood and the music industry? Because yes, I hate those people as well.

Nah, he still unrepentantly directed both Captain EO and Jack.

---

Is Jeepers Creepers 3 going to bring back Steve Zahn? Are they going to explain Paul Walker's absence away or will they CGI him? What a mess they're in!
I think you got your early 2000s horror franchises mixed up.

People have been discussing this whole controversy for over 20 years now, since the release of Powder. All the arguments on both sides have been made. These discussions happen every time he comes out with a new movie. None of you are arguing anything new.

Also, the character making that comment is not supposed to be likable. Salva is condemning himself, just like he does with the Creeper. You can argue it was in poor taste, but using that to imply he's okay with child molesting doesn't make sense.

This one bugged me the most, more than all the others. They used a better movie's twist. I'll spoiler the movie just in case.
Final Destination 5. Turns out one of the main kids is getting on that doomed bus from JC2 at the end of the movie, even though we never heard of his existence before.

I don't think that's the same thing at all.
In Final Destination 5, it was a stupid twist that had no impact on either film's story, and any fan of the franchise could see it coming from a mile away. It was just there for the sake of having a twist, in a franchise that had long run out of steam. There is no twist in Jeepers Creepers 3. From the very beginning, we know the film is acting as a bridge between the first two movies, so I have no idea what your problem with that is. Yes, we don't see the guy in Jeepers Creepers 2, but there were a lot of people in that bus. Does it matter that we don't see him in the second film? It wasn't trying to be a twist ending. It was just a nod.

Top Bottom