• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

Zenith

Banned
01050110.jpg

Sexy.

Edit: it would seem those 2 chickens are pets kept by Sunny.

Zenith said:
http://img.jeuxvideo.fr/photo/01050110.jpg[IMG]

Sexy.[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD! how did i miss that screenshot :|
Roy Campbell is too badass for his age :P

Snake's forehead is weird though. Has more aging lines than Roy, so i guess technically Snake is much older than Roy Campbell physically :(

Busty

Banned
Every time I see this game it just keeps on looking better.

I haven't played a MGS game since the first one.

But owing to the way this game is going and looking, I don't really see how I have a choice in the matter.

dabookerman said:
30min cutscenes are awesome.

I heard we can pause them this time though right? That is the only thing that the cutscenes needed.

It'd be awesome if the story was worth the time spent telling it, and I doubt Kojima has suddenly transformed into a great cinematic director, so meh. But if they can be safely skipped then I guess it's alright.

SolidSnakex said:
There's picture of Olga on the wall in the room Sunny is in.

http://i27.tinypic.com/1zn7eom.jpg[img]
[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/2ufc047.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Amazing detail :) Should [spoiler]also have Raiden's pic somewhere :P[/spoiler]

KZObsessed

The visuals look AMAZING now, and even tho I dunno if I want to sit through a 30 minute cutscene, it's nice to know they didn't hold back.

My hype for MGS4 is sky-rocketing right now.

alba

Little is the new Big
AltogetherAndrews said:
It'd be awesome if the story was worth the time spent telling it, and I doubt Kojima has suddenly transformed into a great cinematic director, so meh. But if they can be safely skipped then I guess it's alright.

the longer the cutscenes the better for me. So far the cutscenes have all been awesome so I want MOAR! :p

Kojima is a mangod, remember? ;D

alba

Little is the new Big
karasu said:
What does it say about Escape from New York?

Kojima liked the hero of the movie because it wasn't the typical hero from hollywood but more of a dark one, he says it's from there he got his inspiration for snake, a man who isn't just taking orders but acting on his own sometimes :)

Doc Evils

alba said:
Kojima liked the hero of the movie because it wasn't the typical hero from hollywood but more of a dark one, he says it's from there he got his inspiration for snake, a man who isn't just taking orders but acting on his own sometimes :)

a man with a consciousn. :) me likes.

MGS4 will be the most epic game in years
until GOWIII:eek:

ichigo kurosaki said:
Okay, my French is not great but in the interview Kojima says that the actual ending of the series is different that what he had envisioned at first. He changed it because of all the feedback of the team working in the game and stuff, but he actually preferred the original one.

Noooooo doesn't listen to them Kojima. Impose will from above! Director's cut! My god don't ... do what I think they will force you to do.

cue kojimaletsendthis.jpg

I've never played a Metal Gear game, but I'm interested in this. Does this game function as a stand alone game or will I have to have prior knowledge to understand what is going on? It looks like it is self-contained, but it occasionally references other games. Am I wrong?

Absinthe said:
I've never played a Metal Gear game, but I'm interested in this. Does this game function as a stand alone game or will I have to have prior knowledge to understand what is going on? It looks like it is self-contained, but it occasionally references other games. Am I wrong?

Very wrong. You could of course play it without playing the other games, but the reason the re released all 3 MGS games is because the story is very important to MGS4.

Absinthe said:

Apparently the game has optional flashbacks that should allow new players to enter into MGS4 with no problems.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Absinthe said:

If a cutscene refers to earlier installments, you can push on a button to trigger a little cutscene which recaps that event. So I dont think you will be entirely lost, but playing the previous installments is still the best way imo.

Doc Evils

Absinthe said:

If you do not play the other games, you will be very very lost.

typo said:
Apparently the game has optional flashbacks that should allow new players to enter into MGS4 with no problems.

Is it weird that I'm replaying through the first three games right now but I'll likely still enable all the optional flashbacks just to see how they're presented?

StuBurns

Banned
Leidenfrost said:
Is it weird that I'm replaying through the first three games right now but I'll likely still enable all the optional flashbacks just to see how they're presented?

It's not an enable type thing, you just hit the X button when it pops up and it'll include the flashback.

But I don't think it's odd, I've played MGS2 probably 12 times and I'll still want to see all the flashbacks.

So even the fanbase doesn't know? Because I'm getting very conflicting opinions here. Some people are saying that there's no way I'll be able to follow the game and other people are saying that I should be fine, but I'd be better off by playing or reading up on the first three games. Which is it? :lol

I would hope the latter, because it's kind of stupid to pigeonhole yourself. It's wise to try to open yourself up to the broadest audience out there. I don't have the time to play the games, unfortunately. For one, I'm taking 15 hours of college classes and I work.

Tom Penny

RamzaIsCool said:
If a cutscene refers to earlier installments, you can push on a button to trigger a little cutscene which recaps that event. So I dont think you will be entirely lost, but playing the previous installments is still the best way imo.

So they are recreating the old cut scenes for the game for flashbacks?

Absinthe said:
So even the fanbase doesn't know? Because I'm getting very conflicted opinions here. Some people are saying that there's no way I'll be able to follow the game and other people are saying that I should be fine, but I'd be better off by playing or reading up on the first three games. Which is it? :lol

I would hope the latter, because it's kind of stupid to pigeonhole yourself. It's wise to try to open yourself up to the broadest audience out there.

The flashbacks will give you an idea of what's happening, but if you have the ability to play the previous games then you should because that'll give you a much better grasp on the storyline than some quick flashbacks will. The game isn't coming out for another 2 months so you've got plenty of time.

Tom Penny said:
So they are recreating the old cut scenes for the game for flashbacks?

Could just be showing a quick video of the relevant information.

Then again, I had a theory about why the disc footprint would be around 50GB.
Videos of relevant MGS1,2,3 cutscenes rerendered at 1080p

FirewalkR

RamzaIsCool said:
If a cutscene refers to earlier installments, you can push on a button to trigger a little cutscene which recaps that event.

This game keeps getting more and more awesome with every post.

(Kojima needs to thank gaf for all the awesomeness)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Absinthe said:
So even the fanbase doesn't know? Because I'm getting very conflicting opinions here. Some people are saying that there's no way I'll be able to follow the game and other people are saying that I should be fine, but I'd be better off by playing or reading up on the first three games. Which is it? :lol

I would hope the latter, because it's kind of stupid to pigeonhole yourself. It's wise to try to open yourself up to the broadest audience out there. I don't have the time to play the games, unfortunately. For one, I'm taking 15 hours of college classes and I work.

Well its not that you NEED to play them, I think the game can stand on its own (with the flashbacks). But its the smart thing to at least read up on the story thus far, there are enough plot analyses and stuff like that. You can also watch recap videos on Youtube. But you dont really get the MGS experience from them, the the thing why this series is so loved despite its numerous flaws.

k79

Banned
typo said:

I always assumed that those were more for people who already played previous mgs games, you know, to refreshen their memories.

For people who never played previous games those flashbacks would be too much of a WTF moment.

At least that's how i see it. I could be wrong :p

StuBurns

Banned
FirewalkR said:

Is this just a one day event? If the game can be beat in the 4 hours those people got in a day then I am scared.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's three days, 12 hours wouldn't surprise me for a first play through.

Top Bottom