• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jihadi brides return to UK sent back by husbands preparing ISIS last stand or widowed

British jihadi brides are returning home after being widowed, or being sent away by husbands preparing to make a final stand with the Islamic State group.

As many as 10 British women and their children have left the extremists' so-called caliphate in recent months and a couple have already made it back to the UK, according to both counter-terrorism sources and a former jihadi bride.

Foreign women are also apparently fleeing after becoming disillusioned with the restrictions of life under Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (Isil).

Police and Home Office officials expect more women to arrive in the coming months, posing the question of what to do with them and their children.

More than 50 British women are estimated to have headed to Iraq and Syria in recent years. Some went out with their husbands and even children, but others travelled alone after being attracted by Isil social media recruiters portraying a jihadi bride's life as a heady mix of romance, adventure and piety.

Those returning face police questioning, but any decision to arrest people, charge them or keep them under surveillance is based on intelligence about what they did abroad, or any plotting they carried out before they left the UK.

One source said: ”When we look at the risk these women pose, it's all case by case, but we have to be aware of who they were married to."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...es-returning-home-widowed-sent-home-husbands/

People can be so dumb. It's better to be accepting though when people want to be accepted back as rejecting only creates more enemies/misguided people. Best way to defeat radicalism is to accept people into society as a whole.

Sinfamy

They should be welcomed in jail if they left and put their children in danger.
Kids should be given therapy.

GavinUK86

Some went out with their husbands and even children, but others travelled alone after being attracted by Isil social media recruiters portraying a jihadi bride’s life as a heady mix of romance, adventure and piety.

Idiots.

should be stripped of citizenship and banned from Nato affiliated countries

i imagine theyll be allowed back in, only so that officials can keep a closer eye on them

Rktk

Sounds like everything is being done correctly.

Do love the group photo:
rXhvcpP.jpg

cameron

'Case by case' is obvious.

Some of these brides were groomed into it, but they're still complicit in atrocities.

EmiPrime

Unless someone can persuade me otherwise I have very little sympathy for the "jihadi brides". Chuck them in prison and put their children in care and grant them all the counselling they need after the trauma their idiot parents put them through.

Paz

should be stripped of citizenship and banned from Nato affiliated countries

i imagine theyll be allowed back in, only so that officials can keep a closer eye on them

That sounds like a logical course of action, but wouldn't it only create more problems down the line?

If we're not going to kill everyone remotely associated with ISIS then there has to be some other solution that involves re-integration at some level, perhaps trying the adults for any crimes they may have committed/supported and separating the children out to receive therapy in the hopes of removing the obvious brain washing that would've occurred.

Though I have no idea if that's at all feasible, what to do with these women and children seems like a pretty complex problem to solve....

Unless someone can persuade me otherwise I have very little sympathy for the "jihadi brides". Chuck them in prison and put their children in care and grant them all the counselling they need after the trauma their idiot parents put them through.

There is the little matter of if they did anything illegal. Being married to a criminal does not make you a criminal. Horrible judgement? Sure.

That sounds like a logical course of action, but wouldn't it only create more problems down the line?

If we're not going to kill everyone remotely associated with ISIS then there has to be some other solution that involves re-integration at some level, perhaps trying the adults for any crimes they may have committed/supported and separating the children out to receive therapy in the hopes of removing the obvious brain washing that would've occurred.

Though I have no idea if that's at all feasible, what to do with these women and children seems like a pretty complex problem to solve....

definitely a very complex problem. damned if you do. damned if you dont.

the proactive approach would be to monitor them and all affiliates for life, while reintegrating them, but at the same time what they did was a criminal act and you would think they should be jailed, or have some consequences. theres no way around it. any ill will towards tehm will result in even more resentment and segregation, while being too lax on them opens up the security of the western world.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What do you mean they don't have a choice? UK can revoke their citizenship.

And then what? Look at it from another perspective: it's the UK's mess to clean up because it's there citizens. They were wherever else they went to illegally, committing criminal acts.

More than 50 British women are estimated to have headed to Iraq and Syria in recent years. Some went out with their husbands and even children, but others travelled alone after being attracted by Isil social media recruiters portraying a jihadi bride’s life as a heady mix of romance, adventure and piety.
I can't even began to fathom how can anyone find this lifestyle even remotely attractive.

I agree that there should be repercussions for their actions. They can't just be allowed to come back like nothing happened. They need to prove somehow that they actually want to be British citizens.

Don't the british revoke citizenship in some cases involving terrorism though?

Maybe but who says the wife of a terrorist is herself a terrorist? The fact they are leaving leads one to believe they aren't actually criminals. Either that or working as double agents.

I agree that there should be repercussions for their actions. They can't just be allowed to come back like nothing happened. They need to prove somehow that they actually want to be British citizens.

that's what they mean by 'case by case'. I get the feeling none of you understand that when the government has your number, so to speak, you're not getting off easy.
They are not 'just coming back', they'll have surveillance on them for life. They're just going one prison to another as far as their previous private lives went. That IS the price of their actions, and it's theirs to bear.

slider

Don't the british revoke citizenship in some cases involving terrorism though?

Yeah, they have done. I think, again, that's on a case by case basis.

Just spitballing... I don't think you can leave someone "stateless" and, when they're dual nationals you'd have to ensure that the other country would accept the individual being a mono-national and that the individual wouldn't be subject to treatment contravening the ECHR. And when it comes to the kids... it's trickier. It'd probably be illogical to leave the kids as Brits and revoke the parent (I think the ECHR grants people the right to a family life).

On instinct, if I've got the above right, I'd expect a lot of people to eyeroll hard.

Top Bottom