• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 British ISIS brides that flew into Syria reportedly on the run from their husbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuShtink

I kind of feel bad for them, but knowingly leaving your own country to join these people is basically wishing harm on your own nation and your loved ones, and once you've made that decision you are now enemy of the state. Hopefully they can get out alive, but they definitely should be locked up for a good long while if they do.

Cub3h

Banned
I was watching that Vice video and felt sorry for the parents, as they seemed reasonably well adjusted and their daughter radicalised without them knowing about it.

Then they show the father in a rally where they were burning American flags, shouting about that stupid video. All sympathy is immediately gone, the girl grew up in a household full of hatred and ignorance. If anything she is the one to feel sorry for, being raised in a culture of hate and fear and taken advantage of by slick ISIS recruiters.

darscot

What? That they won't change them with anything if they come back because they have no evidence that they participated in any terrorist activities? I'm OK with that.

Or are you just saying that you can join and it's not a crime? Because if that's what you are saying I would caution anyone from trying that.

If the Anti-Terror Chief feels they did not break any laws and they will not be charges I will take his word for it.

I was watching that Vice video and felt sorry for the parents, as they seemed reasonably well adjusted and their daughter radicalised without them knowing about it.

Then they show the father in a rally where they were burning American flags, shouting about that stupid video. All sympathy is immediately gone, the girl grew up in a household full of hatred and ignorance. If anything she is the one to feel sorry for, being raised in a culture of hate and fear and taken advantage of by slick ISIS recruiters.

You're an idiot.

Kolx

I would never let an IS member (man or woman) back into normal Western society. I wouldn't be able to trust them regardless of what change of heart they may claim to have.

Actually I think after they saw ISIS full truth they will be more reasonable than some people who never went there.

velociraptor

I just saw the video and I have my sympathies for her parents. I don't see why his involvement in some anti-US demonstration can lead you to equate the household as one full of hatred and ignorance. He was following a crowd of hundreds. So what? When I had read your post, I had expected him to do something completely outlandish - i.e. being in a crowd screaming 'DEATH TO THE WEST!'

Anjelus_

You're a little too easily swayed by media. Do you also believe in campaign ads and WW2 propaganda?

The father attended a rally and got filmed. That was stupid, but it was years ago, and he was mad about the Innocence of Muslims movie, there's no crime in that, and it's a massive leap to go from that to "household full of hatred and ignorance."

I've been to protests against random crap in the U.S. that ended up going far beyond the scope of what I'd actually been there for. It happens, doesn't make you one of the crazies.

I just saw the video and I have my sympathies for her parents. I don't see why his involvement in some anti-US demonstration can lead you to equate the household as one full of hatred and ignorance. He was following a crowd of hundreds. So what? When I had read your post, I had expected him to do something completely outlandish - i.e. being in a crowd screaming 'DEATH TO THE WEST!'

QFT

At the heart of the story is how being force fed religion from when your in nappies leads you to a blinkered view of the world. Nothing to do with them being stupid teens

Nicktendo86

Either way, these were 15 year old girls who joined to be wives theres no fucking way they had any idea what the reality for them would be or they wouldnt have gone and thats why theyre trying to escape
Yeah, because Isis really try to hide the beheadings of innocent aid workers, throwing homosexuals off buildings and setting people on fire don't they. Oh wait, they don't! They make a point to make slick propaganda out of it which is all over the UK media!

Perhaps they were promised a different life to the one they got but there is no way a teenager in this country has not heard about the evil shit Isis do. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Why has it always got to be someone else's fault?

Bold One

Don't underestimate how brainwashed people can get. A seemingly normal, nicest guy you could ever meet in my physics class who was Libyan went home to visit his family for the summer.

Things were okay for a while, he'd post on Facebook stuff he was doing (helping to rebuild a village after the civil war, volunteering in schools and hospitals). Things kind of got weird when he posted a picture of him with an AK47 in his hand and him sitting on lots of money (I presume it was the local currency around him). Then he started posting about how the Assad regime were monsters and he wanted to stop them.

When he was meant to come home and his parents were waiting at the airport for him it turns out he went to Turkey, went over the border and joined the fight against the Assad regime. Couple of months later they found out he died.

anchorman.jpg

ITT: Tribalism on the march.

Never thought I'd see so many people advocating for horrible things to happen to children. It doesn't matter what they did, how stupid it seems, or how impenetrable the logic. They're sixteen years old, they don't even have a passing acquaintance with rational thought.

King_Moc

Banned

Never thought I'd see so many people advocating for horrible things to happen to children. It doesn't matter what they did, how stupid it seems, or how impenetrable the logic. They're sixteen years old, they don't even have a passing acquaintance with rational thought.

This is incredibly fucking patronising. We make 16 year olds in England take the most important exams of their lives because they are incapable of rational thought? Lol, whatever.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Bit of a ridiculous statement there

You have to be all kind of stupid to willingly leave your comfortable life and move into a war-zone.
Just as stupid as girls that get caught up with gangster and criminal types. Although in this case the girls were probably dumb enough to think IS was some legit thing. How many young teens are that clued up about current affairs?

Suen

Please stay out of Europe. You had a safe life here and you blew it. Persona non grata.
Why should Iraq or Syria take care of Europe's trash? It's Europe's responsibility. How would you feel if other countries just let potential terrorists travel to Europe to kill Europeans and say "Oh well you didn't have to do it, but not our problem anymore!"

Seriously I've seen many having this attitude and it's frankly insulting to these two countries that fight ISIS and even more insulting to the victims that died at the hands of ISIS, some of them thanks to Europe's filthy trash. Piss off with it.

Dennis

Banned

For fucks sake man, for most of human existence a 16-year old would have been considered an adult. Now they have no rational thoughts?

Bullshit.

My brain was probably sharper and more analytical at 16 than it is now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ridiculous.

Never thought I'd see so many people advocating for horrible things to happen to children.
I don't "advocate horrible things to happen to them" per se, but they are not children. They're old enough to work, drive, get married (with parental consent) and consent to sex in most places on Earth.
It doesn't matter what they did, how stupid it seems, or how impenetrable the logic. They're sixteen years old, they don't even have a passing acquaintance with rational thought.
Patronizing horseshit.

Tagyhag

Am I the only one that wasn't an idiot at 16 or something? These girls knew better.

If they honestly feel like they made a mistake though, they should be taken back.

Lucifelle

Banned
They're 16, not 5.

I don't "advocate horrible things to happen to them" per se, but they are not children. They're old enough to work, drive, get married (with parental consent) and consent to sex in most places on Earth.

Sixteen year olds objectively do not have fully developed brains and are very susceptible to emotional manipulation. I legitimately cannot believe that you treat people of that age like they're fully fledged adults, it's an outrageous misjudgment of the world and indicates very limited life experience.

They deserve everything that's coming to them.

This is disgusting.

Am I the only one that wasn't an idiot at 16 or something? These girls knew better.

They quite blatantly didn't

Oddduck

This isn't the typical teen makes a bad decision, this is joining up with murderers & torturers and if everything had went well they'd probably have no issue staying within as these types of acts continue.

This. I agree with this.

These girls didn't just "fall into the wrong crowd" or "make a stupid mistake".

They were fully aware of who ISIS is and what ISIS stands for. They were completely enamored with the rockstar image that ISIS portrays themselves as. Like when women would follow around Charles Manson.

I hope they escape their situation safely, but I can't say that I'm really sympathetic toward them.

They are 16 -- not 13. Two years away from becoming legal adults. They should have known better than to get involved with a murderous terrorist group.

Tagyhag

They quite blatantly didn't

What kind of 16 year old Muslim doesn't know what ISIS does to women?

They probably assumed they'd be safe since they were joining instead of being captured.

But again, they knew they were joining ISIS, not a summer camp.

reckless

There are some - no, in fact a surprisingly lot of - ice cold responses in here.

Because "They are just kids" defense really doesn't work in this case. They didn't just do one thing dumb thing in the heat of the moment. They obviously planned and executed their plan to travel halfway around the world to join one of if not the most terrible group on Earth right now. A group that spends as much time and effort as possible broadcasting their atrocities.

Shredderi

That is some patronizing bullshit. I do wish any ill fate for the girls.

Lucifelle

Banned

They probably assumed they'd be safe since they were joining instead of being captured.

A lot of them, I'd imagine. What you think they were perfectly aware and they decided to go anyway? How would you reasonably explain that?

You don't for a second suspect they were lied to, charmed, tricked?

People saying they were "brainwashed" really grates me.
They had full access to watching ISIS burn human beings alive in cages and then decide that was lifestyle choice they could enjoy and well worth lying to and leaving their families behind, while then traveling halfway across the world and through multiple countries/checkpoints.

They're on the same level as 9/11 and holocaust deniers, the truth was right in front of them but they ignored it. I can understand to a degree someone sympathizing with the ISIS idea of "pure islam"...but not all the death and dark age torture this group of psychopaths activley brag about. You can't even use the excuse "western media is disorting their message", because it's ISIS themselves that are packaging these slick snuff movies for mass consumption, not some undercover news reports.
A lot of them, I'd imagine. What you think they were perfectly aware and they decided to go anyway? How would you reasonably explain that?

I think if a man 3,000 miles away wanted me to come and marry him, i might just google what he's promising while booking my tickets, emptying my bank account and renewing my passport.

Clearly these young fools knew exactly what they were getting into(and what they wanted), with the being on the run from ISIS and all that.

Lucifelle

Banned
They had full access to watching ISIS burn human beings alive in cages and then decide that was lifestyle choice they could enjoy and well worth lying to and leaving their families behind, while then traveling halfway across the world and through multiple countries/checkpoints.

They're on the same level as 9/11 and holocaust deniers, the truth was right in front of them but they ignored it. I can understand to a degree someone sympathizing with the ISIS idea of "pure islam"...but not all the death and dark age torture this group of psychopaths activley brag about. You can't even use the excuse "western media is disorting their message", because it's ISIS themselves that are packaging these slick snuff movies for mass consumption, not some undercover news reports.

I think if a man 3,000 miles away wanted me to come and marry him, i might just google what he's promising while booking my tickets, emptying my bank account and renewing my passport.

They're dumb, but a nation must look after its children.

I think you're ignoring that they're not that clever.

Clearly these young fools knew exactly what they were getting into(and want they wanted), with the being on the run from ISIS and all that.

It literally could not be more obvious that they didn't.

akira28

In America we would stage an amazing movie style mission to recover them and record it all and then make them the poster-children for Anti-ISIS propaganda.

Brits used to be good at this stuff. it's like they don't even care anymore, just hammer every nail.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Because "They are just kids" defense really doesn't work in this case. They didn't just do one thing dumb thing in the heat of the moment. They obviously planned and executed their plan to travel halfway around the world to join one of if not the most terrible group on Earth right now. A group that spends as much time and effort as possible broadcasting their atrocities.
Yeah, I don't buy the whole "they're just kids, they don't know shit" thing either. Two of them were top of their class and given the evidence, I think they were totally aware of what they are doing.

Still, I'm rather taken aback by some of the nasty responses here. Also, teens tend to act more on emotion than objectivity - they probably, maybe even willingly, didn't take into the account the entire gravity of the situation despite their awareness. Or more unfortunately, probably bought into it entirely.

From my standpoint, all I could do is feel sad for them both for what they've done and what will inevitably be judged on them.

I consider myself pretty internet savvy and I don't know where I could find and watch videos of IS burning people alive.

I don't believe it's entirely fair to say that they had full access.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, wasting man-hours on trying to secure 3 British girls who made the absolute worst decision of their lives, when they could instead be wasting man-hours stuff that isn't life and fucking death for 3 teenagers(and you best believe, man-hours and resources are constantly being wasted).

I don't care how fucked their logic was at the time, It's like horrible life decisions and second chances don't exist with some of you people.

This wasn't as simple as choosing soup or salad.

This was probably months of planning to join an organization that they full well knew what were doing and what were capable of.

So they finally go to become wives to join the ISIS cause.

Now, they are probably treated like shit, and want to come back home. What do you think? They finally discovered what ISIS actually does? I guarantee you they knew they were taking INNOCENT civilians and chopping there heads off an putting it on the internet.

This did not phase them. They thought "Yes, that is good. I want to help!"

No, fuck them.

They are 16 years old. Children my ass. What do you think? 2 more years and they would become adults and then can understand what their doing? lol. Come on.

Lucifelle

Banned
This wasn't as simple as choosing soup or salad.

This was probably months of planning to join an organization that they full well knew what were doing and what were capable of.

So they finally go to become wives to join the ISIS cause.

Now, they are probably treated like shit, and want to come back home. What do you think? They finally discovered what ISIS actually does? I guarantee you they knew they were taking INNOCENT civilians and chopping there heads off an putting it on the internet.

This did not phase them. They thought "Yes, that is good. I want to help!"

No, fuck them.

They are 16 years old. Children my ass. What do you think? 2 more years and they would become adults and then can understand what their doing? lol. Come on.

So your argument is that they're not children because in two years they'd be adults?

You've basically highlighted the fallacy of the age argument being employed here.

Tagyhag

Clearly these young fools knew exactly what they were getting into(and want they wanted), with the being on the run from ISIS and all that.

Oh don't get me wrong, they obviously believed they'd be safe and fell for the whole "all Muslims are safe under ISIS" which is why I'm saying they should be pardoned if they make it back.

But them being "just 16" doesn't excuse them for that. I was already fully aware of how religion is basically child brainwashing by then.

Lucifelle

Banned
They are not children, period.

They literally are by definition. Even by law you are not considered an adult in the United Kingdom until the age of 18. This is not to mention that no serious person would consider an 18 year old a fully fledged adult unless

A| They have no life experience
B| They lack empathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom