• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jihadi brides return to UK sent back by husbands preparing ISIS last stand or widowed

Dopus

Banned
I don't get this "ISIS last stand" thing. As far as I know that group is nowhere close to getting eradicated anytime soon.

They're not making any significant ground and are slowly being boxed in. They still have their strongholds but the Kurds and Iraqi forces are making solid ground with the aid of coalition strikes. It's a "last stand" because they're going to lose.

dc89

They need locking up, they've made their bed now they can lie in it. What they have done is disgusting.

Betty

Banned
People can be so dumb. It's better to be accepting though when people want to be accepted back as rejecting only creates more enemies/misguided people. Best way to defeat radicalism is to accept people into society as a whole.

And how do we know they're not still radicalised or could be again and that their children won't grow up to be future terrorists?

I mean that guy who bombed Manchester, his parents came here to escape persecution and he was born here and he still went on to commit crimes.

By the sounds of things most of his family were actually supporting him :/

I guess we just cross our fingers and toes and hope they really mean it when they say they're not into that lifestyle any more, since legally there's bugger all else we can do.

Sinfamy

And how do we know they're not still radicalised or could be again and that their children won't grow up to be future terrorists?

I mean that guy who bombed Manchester, his parents came here to escape persecution and he was born here and he still went on to commit crimes.

By the sounds of things most of his family are actually supporting him :/

I guess we just cross are fingers and toes and hope they really mean it when they say they're not into that lifestyle any more, since legally there's bugger all else we can do.
Then change the god damn laws.
Don't gamble with the lives of innocent citizens.

These women may as well be enemy combatants, they went over there to support their men as they go around terrorizing the area.

So we're just gonna let these enemy combatants that are essentially, breeding factories for future terrorists that are going to warp their kids whilst they are young...

I hope I'm wrong though.

pa22word

Maybe but who says the wife of a terrorist is herself a terrorist? The fact they are leaving leads one to believe they aren't actually criminals. Either that or working as double agents.

I was more responding to all the people lambasting him for asking the question more than suggesting that's what they do.

Treat them the same way as Nazi collaborators. That's all they deserve.

As far as I know having been married to a Nazi wasn't a crime after the war.

It's decided on case by case basis, jesus guys. I know writing "Lock em all up" makes you feel better, but it isn't practical in any sense.

The fuck did they expect?

A US CIA agent fell in love with an ISIS fighter and threw everything away for him. She then came to her senses and fled back to the US.

There is some sort of strange, psychological thing going on with these ISIS brides. I don't know if it's fear of a doomsday event, or maybe the horrific torture and killings they recorded and televised or what. Some form of Neo-Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

Some of these women aren't even Muslim until they travel to Syria and become wedded.

It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read up on. Psych Majors could write stuff about this for years and not fully understand it.

FiraB

Banned
They should be refused entry back in except in cases with children imo. Even then they should be watched like a hawk.
Kids should be orphaned in my opinion, strip the parents of the kid and never let them have them again.

Court lock the childs records for 20 years and let the kid be raised without all that baggage.

They are innocent in it all but the parents are not.

Apathy

This is one of those cases where they went and joined up with a terrorist organization that wants to hurt citizens of their home country. They're traitors. They should have had their citizenships revoked.

Dopus

Banned
These women may as well be enemy combatants, they went over there to support their men as they go around terrorizing the area.

So we're just gonna let these enemy combatants that are essentially, breeding factories for future terrorists that are going to warp their kids whilst they are young...

I hope I'm wrong though.

Through your lens, sure that's exactly what they did. But that's not justice. Why? You have zero idea why they went in the first place, what pressure there was and really what they did or didn't do. Making blanket assumptions isn't helpful or practical.

The only way of knowing​ is to talk, interview, and provide the nessasary treatment for these individuals and their children. Only then can you get an understanding, and only then can you deal with these people. Case by case. Individual by individual.

There are cases where some of these women tried fleeing, some have been killed and others have been forced to stay. It's complicated.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Carriers are free to refuse travel to any persons for any reason. Maybe start with that.

AYF 001

Can't say I'm too surprised with people's reactions here, but this is a golden opportunity for research and information. We have people who not only willingly joined a terrorist organization, but who also were allowed to voluntarily leave. Their stories could go a long way towards understanding the nature of online radicalization and curbing other extremist groups. Plus their stories of life under the regime will help to dispel the romanticized narratives that Their outlets push. The fact they are cooperative will also experiments in deprogramming techniques that can be refined for counter-propaganda to help others who are more obstinate readjust to society.

This is one of those cases where they went and joined up with a terrorist organization that wants to hurt citizens of their home country. They're traitors. They should have had their citizenships revoked.

Im curious if the UK could make a solid case against these people for treason.

Through your lens, sure that's exactly what they did. But that's not justice. Why? You have zero idea why they went in the first place, what pressure there was and really what they did or didn't do. Making blanket assumptions isn't helpful or practical.

The only way of knowing​ is to talk, interview, and provide the nessasary treatment for these individuals and their children. Only then can you get an understanding, and only then can you deal with these people. Case by case. Individual by individual.

There are cases where some of these women tried fleeing, some have been killed and others have been forced to stay. It's complicated.
They traveled to fucking ISIS, one of the worst terrorist organisations ever. There is a limit to me being understanding for people.

Mohonky

Lock em all up. Put the kids in therapy and adoption agencies.
This.

They joined a fucking terorist organisation knowing full well what was going on. If they are UK citizens they should be prosecuted as terrorists. I dont see how letting them back in as free citizens does anything but allow them to continue to spread their backward bullshit ideas and sympathise with other would be terrorists.

This is the sort of shit where Nations need to start showing people they are to be held accountable for their actions. They cant possibly come back from a society like ISIS and expect to be welcomed back with no repurcussions.

Y'know, most of the time I think GAF is a pretty liberal, progressive board.

But even then there are threads like these, were people just want to join the mob and seem to conveniently forget that you can't make exceptions to human and citizens rights.

I couldn't give two shits about these women, and I don't understand how you could marry fucking terrorists. But that doesn't mean I can suddenly disregard laws. How hypocritical would that be?

Be my guest, and let them all be investigated and properly prosecuted for whatever they potentially did.

But this mob justice shit really isn't helpful.

reckless

Join a terrorist organization... get treated like a terrorist.

Throw them in jail and put the kids up for adoption.

Fuck them, deny entry. No one believing any cry of ignorance, they knew what they were doing and supporting.

They went and lived there, let them stay there.

Dopus

Banned
They traveled to fucking ISIS, one of the worst terrorist organisations ever. There is a limit to me being understanding for people.

Again, you're looking not even attempting to understand it through their lens. They are presented with a version of ISIS that's quite different to ours and as we have seen, ISIS have been very effective in the propaganda they've been able to produce and spread.

Kerensky

Banned

But even then there are threads like these, were people just want to join the mob and seem to conveniently forget that you can't make exceptions to human and citizens rights.

I couldn't give two shits about these women, and I don't understand how you could marry fucking terrorists. But that doesn't mean I can suddenly disregard laws. How hypocritical would that be?

Be my guest, and let them all be investigated and properly prosecuted for whatever they potentially did.

Will start you giving a shit when one of them happens to detonate during a future concert, or are coercing someone you know to kill some kuffar in syria at the State's behest?

They disregarded laws by likely aiding a recognised terrorist organisation and hostile combatants in a war. most countries would consider that treason.

Again, you're looking not even attempting to understand it through their lens. They are presented with a version of ISIS that's quite different to ours and as we have seen, ISIS have been very effective in the propaganda they've been able to produce and spread.
We are talking about the organisation that has been in the news for multiple years now, with a ton of beheading videos, that have done major terror attacks across the world, that enslaved thousands and killed god knows how many? What do you expect people to understand here? If you fall for that stuff, then you need to face the consequences. Not being welcomed back as if it was some stupid mistake and all is forgiven.

nekkid

They travelled to support an organisation who has openly admitted to acts of terror against the country they are citizens of.

And somehow suggesting imprisonment, revoking citizenship, denial of entry is "mob mentality".

Sure.

Yes, I can see misunderstanding ISIS and their terrorist attacks with innocent peoples deaths.

No offense, but your spin is fucking bollocks.

Jag

They travelled to support an organisation who has openly admitted to acts of terror against the country they are citizens of.

And somehow suggesting imprisonment, revoking citizenship, denial of entry is "mob mentality".

Sure.

He did say they should be investigated and jailed

Tell them welcome back to the UK. Here is your jail cell.

Will start you giving a shit when one of them happens to detonate during a future concert, or are coercing someone you know to kill some kuffar in syria at the State's behest?

They disregarded laws by likely aiding a recognised terrorist organisation and hostile combatants in a war. most countries would consider that treason.

Oh, I think people being run over in the capital of my country, where also some of my relatives live, gave me a good taste, thank you.

Cut the shit out and think like a proper human living in a democracy. I won't stand for people being locked up before even being convicted of something.

Investigate them and punish accordingly. Whatever is so fucking hard to understand about that.

nekkid

Sure, let's take a look at some of this propaganda.

news.bbc.co.uk
guardian.co.uk
independent.co.uk
telegraph.co.uk

I shan't link to the articles because I'm pretty sure they're RIGHT THERE ON THE FUCKING FRONT.

Locking them up for travelling with terrorists to a terrorist hotbed and likely abetting said terrorists doesn't seem extreme to me.

Don't think you can claim this when their propaganda heavily features people being tortured to death.

Dopus

Banned
We are talking about the organisation that has been in the news for multiple years now, with a ton of beheading videos, that have done major terror attacks across the world, that enslaved thousands and killed god knows how many? What do you expect people to understand here? If you fall for that stuff, then you need to face the consequences. Not being welcomed back as if it was some stupid mistake and all is forgiven.

They've been radicalised. There are things that we can learn. How they were radicalised, what made them go. What they did. This is all invaluable information. Yes, ISIS have committed many atrocities, nobody here is doubting that. But what I am saying is that at the very least, many of these women would say that these acts are more than justified. And because of that very reason, there are things we can learn from them.

Yes, I can see misunderstanding ISIS and their terrorist attacks with innocent peoples deaths.

No offense, but your spin is fucking bollocks.

And what is exactly is my spin?

Sure, let's take a look at some of this propaganda.

news.bbc.co.uk
guardian.co.uk
independent.co.uk
telegraph.co.uk

I shan't link to the articles because I'm pretty sure they're RIGHT THERE ON THE FUCKING FRONT.

Ah yes, because they're totally going to trust the mainstream media. Especially when they're led to believe the state is at war against Muslims.

The ISIS propaganda that swayed them presented a world where gays and infidels are executed. "I thought going and living in a self appointed state of terror, rape and war was going to be paradise, how was I to know?"

They've been radicalised. There are things that we can learn. How they were radicalised, what made them go. What they did. This is all invaluable information. Yes, ISIS have committed many atrocities, nobody here is doubting that. But what I am saying is that at the very least, many of these women would say that these acts are more than justified. And because of that very reason, there are things we can learn from them.

We already know why they think it's justified. They think the victims are lesser peoples who deserve to be murdered and enslaved.

Mohonky

Which part was all rosy and alluring? The videos of journalists being beheaded? Where homosexuals were tossed from buildings? Where new and exciting ways of killing people like strapping explosives around peoples necks, locked in cages and submerged in water, people being driven over by tanks....which of those exciting videos said 'paradise' to these women?

No seriously, none of that was hidden, ISIS was producing and editing all these things in nice high quality production videos for all to see. They weren't hiding what they were; a hardline Islamic society that was calling for the death of all those who were non-Muslim or did not follow their interpretarion of Islam.

To expect to walk back into a society after having voluntarily joined a group that shouted the praises of killing, they deserve no sympathy.

Locking them up for travelling with terrorists to a terrorist hotbed and likely abetting said terrorists doesn't seem extreme to me.

Many here suggested denying entry and seperation from kids. Somehow I really doubt they meant AFTER a proper prosecution.

I repeatedly said, I'd be overjoyed if they get jailed. IF they're convicted. I really don't get what is so hard to understand about that.

Oh, I think people being run over in the capital of my country, where also some of my relatives live, gave me a good taste, thank you.

Cut the shit out and think like a proper human living in a democracy. I won't stand for people being locked up before even being convicted of something.

Investigate them and punish accordingly. Whatever is so fucking hard to understand about that.

They can be taken into remand and charged and stay on remand whilst investigations are on going. Or at the very least, tag them and confiscate their passports.

Only punishment that will work is banishment, otherwise fixing nothing and just delaying it. Prisons teach extremism.

They can be taken into remand and charged and stay on remand whilst investigations are on going. Or at the very least, tag them and confiscate their passports.

And I have nothing against that. But I extremely doubt that's what the majority of posters here meant.

If these women think that the acts are justified, that is even more reason to lock them up so the rest of society can be safe from people like that. You can learn from them while they are behind bars.

daviyoung

Banned

While indoctrination is obviously the key cause, the context surrounding is important. It doesn't (well, actually it does) happen in a bubble. The fact there are people living in Britain who are indoctrinated into an army that actively seeks to terrorise other people living in Britain clearly highlights an integration issue that goes far beyond ISIS propaganda.

empyrean

Instead of simply locking them up which would only make things worse why don't we engage with these people, find out the reasons why and how they decided to do what they did so we can learn to prevent otherwise from following their path?

openrob

Don't the british revoke citizenship in some cases involving terrorism though?

That in itself is a slippery slope.
The current PM was home secretary previously, and made some essentially illegal decisions.

I know people who are generally worried about getting deported if they were to be arrested because the premise is that they can be deported if it is for the common good or something - which could be for anything really.

Just nick em on arrival. Should serve well enough.

Top Bottom